Poll: Who will progress to the quarterfinal?
This poll is closed.
Argentina
83.33%
5 83.33%
Switzerland
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

R16: Argentina - Switzerland (July 1, 2014 - 18:00 CET)
Messi put 2 past Nigeria to fire Argentina through to the knockout rounds with a perfect 9 points from 3 games but their defense has definitely left a lot to be desired. Switzerland made it into the last 16 with a 3-0 win over Honduras thanks to a hat trick by Shaquiri and they will definitely like their chances against an Argentine defense that is prone to leaking goals. I think the talent of Messi will be too much for the Swiss to handle over 90 minutes though. This is seeming more and more to be his tournament (hope I didn't just jinx it Devilol)
Siamo a posto cosi.
I hope you do! Big Grin

Before the tournament started, I would've bet my house on Argentina for this game. Now, I'm not even sure if I'd out my bicycle on them.

I know that they have more quality throughout their squad then the Swiss...but that quality has failed to come through. Had it not been for Messi's individual quality...they may have not even made it to the second round. It's his quality that in all likely good will take them past this round...but I gotta say, I'm not impressed with Argentina so far. Even though, you don't win a WC in the grou stages and all you gotta do is make it out. They did that, so now it's time for other players to show up too, otherwise they might be going home.

Switzerland has been both good and bad. They've been solid for the most part except for some terrible defending against France. Even in that game however, they had some good thing happening for them.

Like I said...a couple weeks ago, I would've said Argentina without much hesitation. Now, there is much more then hesitation. The Swiss have the potential to make this very very interesting and even cause an upset.

Still....if I HAD TO choose....if say Argentina's attack will prove too much for this fragile Swiss defense.
Oh, nefremo, you made me dizzy Icon_lol2

Normally, I don't support an Argentina without Maradona, but the way this team depend on Messi shows some similarities, so I'm very curious to see how they end in this tournament.

People say GK and CBs are their main problem. Yes, their levels are low. But you can not have a complete squad in international football, Belgium must play with 4 CBs, Germany must play without a proper SC,... So we should accept this limit.

However, the performance of their forwards except Messi is unacceptable. GK and CBs tried their best, but they weren't. And this is a team where the attack must cover for the defense. So if Argentina don't get a result, the attack should take the blame.
Big Grin I made myself dizzy after reding my post too!
(06-29-2014, 04:53 AM)nefremo Wrote: I hope you do! Big Grin

Before the tournament started, I would've bet my house on Argentina for this game. Now, I'm not even sure if I'd out my bicycle on them.

I know that they have more quality throughout their squad then the Swiss...but that quality has failed to come through. Had it not been for Messi's individual quality...they may have not even made it to the second round. It's his quality that in all likely good will take them past this round...but I gotta say, I'm not impressed with Argentina so far. Even though, you don't win a WC in the grou stages and all you gotta do is make it out. They did that, so now it's time for other players to show up too, otherwise they might be going home.

Last time Argentina won WC, Maradona won it for them singlehandedly. If the entire team plays bad but Messi alone can bring them trophy, he will be acknowledged as truly among the best.
MILAN! MILAN! SOLO CON TE!
MILAN! MILAN! SEMPRE PER TE!
(06-29-2014, 04:54 PM)ZvonimirBoban Wrote:
(06-29-2014, 04:53 AM)nefremo Wrote: I hope you do! Big Grin

Last time Argentina won WC, Maradona won it for them singlehandedly. If the entire team plays bad but Messi alone can bring them trophy, he will be acknowledged as truly among the best.

DevilolOkmilan
Heart 
[Image: switzerland-fans.jpg]
Argentina will win the World Cup 2018

[Image: mhj0y.jpg]
I am definitely going to root for Switzerland. Sorry, Zeekay, I actually don't mind Messi, but Argentina as a team annoys me to no end. They might have been the only national team that I consistently dislike for more than two decades. :d
(06-29-2014, 07:03 PM)mzk57 Wrote: [Image: switzerland-fans.jpg]

what is Ambrosini doing there? Grinundwech
(06-29-2014, 07:12 PM)xudong Wrote: I am definitely going to root for Switzerland. Sorry, Zeekay, I actually don't mind Messi, but Argentina as a team annoys me to no end. They might have been the only national team that I consistently dislike for more than two decades. :d
How about you root for the lady in the That way, I will assume that you followed your heart and not the hatred towards the greatest football nation of earth. Devilcool
Argentina will win the World Cup 2018

[Image: mhj0y.jpg]
I don't hate them. They just annoy me very much. Icon_lol2

Honestly, Maradona particularly annoys me (quite seriously). I don't really dislike Messi. :d