Week 16: Roma - Milan (Saturday, December 20th 20:45 CET)
Man ELS looks sooo timid it is sad. This guy had so much speed but he can't kick the ball past the last defender for himself. This guy needs a confidence boost.

We got a point but not all that lucky. Bonaventura and Monti are MOM for me. Running so hard until the last. Our CB pairs seem to have resolved their problems. A point at the Olimpico isn't too bad to be honest.
@ Dublinista Again, not to defend roma either but they had 2 penalties that were not called, first the de jong handball and second for mexes tearing into destro, actually tore his shirt lol

Anyway, both teams played badly, so fair result I guess
I was able to watch the last 20 minutes. Like Honsano, I was disappointed in seeing ELS's confidence almost totally drained.

We had even more shots and shots on goal than Roma? This is amazing all taken into consideration. I am neither too happy nor too sad, but at least things could have been much worse.

Forza Milan, and happy holidays to all of you. I need to go back to sleep (hopefully get a few hours) and expect another long day tomorrow.
@elieassi -- that would have been a really tough penalty. If anything it should have been a no call because they were battling each other pretty tough. Overall I think the point was fair. Roma didn't really create and looked to be missing Pjanic and Strootman. I don't think we could have sat back had they been able to field the two.

@Xu -- I was wondering where you were at. I could usually rely on you to post during the match too! Happy you could at least catch the last 20.
(12-20-2014, 10:39 PM)Arildonardo Wrote: 0-0 was probably the best we could hope for, especially after the red card.

Yeah after the red card I think we settled for a draw, but I honestly think we were in it up until then, and if Armero hadn't been sent off, we might have gotten more out of this match. Even so, an away draw against this Roma side is a result I think we should be happy with. We never looked like an inferior team, to be honest.
(12-20-2014, 10:46 PM)honsano Wrote: @elieassi -- that would have been a really tough penalty. If anything it should have been a no call because they were battling each other pretty tough. Overall I think the point was fair. Roma didn't really create and looked to be missing Pjanic and Strootman. I don't think we could have sat back had they been able to field the two.

@Xu -- I was wondering where you were at. I could usually rely on you to post during the match too! Happy you could at least catch the last 20.

honsano, thanks for asking. I have been traveling (work-related) in the past two weeks, hence I had to miss Genoa, Napoli and Roma, but I will return to the United States in a few days for Christmas.

I will go back to posting more when I have a better schedule and better access to Internet. Reza's patience with me is running low and I am risking 1ban Grinundwech
(12-20-2014, 10:47 PM)devoted_dm Wrote:
(12-20-2014, 10:39 PM)Arildonardo Wrote: 0-0 was probably the best we could hope for, especially after the red card.

Yeah after the red card I think we settled for a draw, but I honestly think we were in it up until then, and if Armero hadn't been sent off, we might have gotten more out of this match. Even so, an away draw against this Roma side is a result I think we should be happy with. We never looked like an inferior team, to be honest.

I watched the highlight just now and must say that I was surprised to see we seemed to have a very good game. It is totally different from the last 20 minutes I saw when we apparently "decided" that we had no chance to win and went for a draw. True, highlights don't show the whole game, but we had more clear-cut chances and I must say that I am pleased with it.

Then again, I am a bit worried that Berlusconi will conveniently use it to not invest in the winter. Mind you, most of our big signings these past few years arrive in January, so I am hoping that we could get some decent quality and aim for a final strong push for the 3rd.
@ honsano, are we talking about the same incident? I am not referring to when Destro went with a leg against Diego Lopez and mexes freaked out and they both were at eachothers throats and both got yellow cards. I am referring to like 5 minutes before that, the ball was in play and Mexes was tossing destro around like a ragdoll inside the box. That's a penalty if there ever was one.

In short I was replying to Dublinista saying the ref was Roma biased and a fan and I think that's unfair and pointed out justly 2 penalties that he could have/should have given them and didn't. I wouldn't say that's biased to Roma, if anything the opposite.

Anyway, I am not too sad about the result, kind almost content which feels weird. A point gained away from home to Roma and we kept a clean sheet, something we haven't lately in away games.

Cheers
(12-20-2014, 10:56 PM)elieassi Wrote: A point gained away from home to Roma and we kept a clean sheet, something we haven't lately in away games.

Actually our first clean sheet away from home since Seedorf was in charge. This team is growing.

A step forward for Milan and Inzaghi of late, as this result is generally positive after a rather difficult period of games. The fact that the team has managed four points against Napoli and Roma and three clean sheets in the last four matches is a very good turnaround following a difficult period prior to that.

However, it is important to acknowledge that Roma, much like Napoli last week, weren't in the best shape coming into this match, as they have also struggled for consistent results of late and have been knocked out of Europe.

First Half

The start of the match was very positive from Milan, who in the first few minutes dominated possession and play. However, soon after Roma took control of the match and pressed Milan back. They managed to do this by preventing the Milan defenders from building play from the back. This kept Milan deep, but also meant that Honda and Bonaventura had to drop extremely deep to help the defence.

For a brief period, Diego Lopez launched the ball long, but principally it came to little fruition as there wasn't much aerial presence in attack. During this period Roma were desperately unlucky not to get a penalty as De Jong handled the ball in the box.

Towards the end of the half, Milan did start to get back into the match as Roma appeared to tire slightly and mistakes were being made. However, a few nervous moments aside, the half ended scoreless.

Second Half

The second half started with Milan pressing higher up the pitch and holding that position. This resulted in Roma struggling to dominate the game as they did during the first half, leading to a scrappy, but even second period.

Had the game maintained this way, there is a distinct possibility that Milan would have gone onto win the match as they would have grown in confidence, while Roma, who needed a win to stay in touching distance of Juventus, would have been forced to open up to try and find a winner.

Unfortunately, the scenario never had a chance to play out as Rizzoli, who had a poor night officiating, sent off Armero for a second yellow card for intentional handball. However, replays suggest that while the ball struck the hand after Keita kicked the ball, it was unlikely to be intentional from the Colombian.

Following to the controversy, Milan reverted to a 4-4-1 formation with Alex coming on in place of Honda and Zapata moving to right back. The team set up deep to defend the draw in the final period. Roma had brought on Ljalic to attack the Milan left side, while Destro was put on to offer greater presence in the box.

The general idea worked well for Rudi Garcia, as Roma pushed on to create some chances, notably with Gervinho running through the middle only to be saved by Diego Lopez. Mexes was also fortunate not to concede a penalty after some rough treatment to Destro, as well as not get red after squaring off with the young Italian moments later.

The match ended 0-0, leaving Roma frustrated, but Milan can take heart that they seem to have made great progress in recent weeks.

Analysis

Pippo Inzaghi seems to be finding his feet as Milan coach having appeared to have decided on a game plan which suits his requirements. Work is still required on the Christmas tree to try and press higher on a more consistent basis, but he will surely feel confidence that he can build from the foundations he's laid.

The winter break also comes at an important time for Milan, as they can try to regroup and recover some injured players during Christmas and New Year. This will be fundamental as there will be some notable absentees on the resumption of the league as Armero, Mexes and De Jong all face suspensions after tonight.

Roma will almost certainly feel frustration as they lose ground to Juventus in the title race, especially knowing they were denied arguably two penalties by Rizzoli tonight. However, following some difficult weeks, Rudi Garcia will also welcome the winter break.

Milan Player Ratings

Diego Lopez: A few moments of madness weren't costly, whereas he made some massive saves to secure a point.
Bonera: Clearly struggled when faced one on one against Gervinho and Ljalic, Bonera seemed most likely to cost Milan a goal on the evening. However, he just about coped to the end.
Mexes: Some good moments were marred by some very poor moments and situations where he could have put his teammates in trouble. He was fortunate not to have cost his side tonight.
Zapata: A solid showing at the back with few mistakes. Towards the end he switched to right back and looked comfortable to see out the match.
Armero: A disappointing performance for the Colombian as he struggled positionally at the back and rarely made a telling contribution going forward. The red card was unfortunate.
Poli: A solid performance from the midfielder, who worked hard for his team and stuck to his task. He came short when on the ball in good situations, which could have been the difference to winning the game and drawing.
De Jong: A poor performance from the destroyer who was slack on the ball and rarely showed the discipline necessary in front of defence. Was fortunate not to cost his side when he poorly turned over the ball in the first half.
Montolivo: The best performer in the Milan midfield, showing competence and calm on the ball and a hunger to win it back off it.
Honda: Some good moments on the ball where he was looking to link up with teammates. Unfortunately was substituted off for Alex after the red card.
Bonaventura: A solid showing, though far from the quality shown against Napoli last week. Bonaventura grew into the match and could have scored in the second half.
Menez: Struggled for large parts of the match as he was isolated up front for long periods. On the ball, he continued to show the individual quality that is expected of him this season. Struggled for much of the second half as he picked up a knock.
Alex: A solid and strong aerial presence towards the end of the match.
Muntari: Came on to shore up the midfield towards the end, but failed to adequately cover the left wing in front of Bonera, leaving the defender exposed.
El Shaarawy: Came on for the last few minutes, but struggled to make a telling run or shot. For a young player trying to win back a place in the starting lineup, it was disappointing to see how little he pressed and worked off the ball given the little time left on the clock.