Campaign to restore the 1993 Cup, which was taken from Milan by Marseille used doping
Campaign to restore the 1993 Cup, which was taken from Milan by Marseille used doping
Plzzzzz Join The Campaign and invite Your Friends

http://www.causes.com/causes/609293-retu...=165087439

Note:Causes Is A groub supported By Facebook
Since so much memory was brought back, please pardon me for this long post.

I remember that in the summer of 1993, the UEFA's OM scandal investigation involved two parts:
(1) it was rumored OM bribed Valenciennes in a French league game before the CL final game; and less known to younger generations today was
(2) it was also rumored that OM poisoned CSKA before a crucial CL group game which eventually ended as 6-0 in OM’s favor. [some background information: UCL adopted a group-semifinal in that inaugural season which means only one team out of each group of 4 would qualify into the final game at Munich. Glasgow Rangers and OM were shoulder-to-shoulder leaders in that group, and if I remember correctly, the two games between them were both draws, and in the end goal differences would be crucial.] During that game, OM beat CSKA 6-0, and several irregularities before and during the gamewere observed and even reported. Some rumor suggests a possible “deal” but more seemed to suggested poisoning by OM.

It was believed that OM’s 1993 CL success would benefit indirectly from the above-mentioned (1) and directly from (2). In the end, however, only (1) was proven and (2) was eventually dismissed due to lack of hard evidence (or could be other reason – such as some other rumor involving even more bribery to shut some people up, but none could be confirmed), which I believe was the reason that UEFA decided to let OM keep the trophy. Had (2) been verified, I am sure that OM wouldn’t be allowed to keep the trophy. I honestly don’t know if there were any other “deals” involved [please pardon me if I would offend our French friends here], as I will just talk out of my vague memories of something I heard or read from almost two decades ago.

There were saying that it was already very shameful and devastating, but taking away the CL title would kill French football, which nobody wanted to see. European football owed everything to France considering their contribution in the football history – almost everything that is important nowadays was created by a Frenchman – European Club Champions’ Cup (Hanot), UEFA European Football Championship (Delaunay), and even FIFA World Cup (Rimet). French national team had only won the Delaunay Trophy once in 1984 (bear in mind that it was 1993 and FIFA 1998 WC had been played yet) and in the annual European Cup tournaments since 1955-56, no French club had ever won it.

The 1993 UCL was the inaugural season after it was converted from its previous EC version, and it meant hugely to the Europe and France that a French club won it. To take it away in such a shameful way would be justified but would no doubt kill and bury French football. I remember having read some “deals” but nobody can be sure of course.

In the summer of 1993, in light of a possible sanction on OM, even Berlusconi himself said that he would welcome a rematch between Milan and Rangers instead of us getting the trophy directly to be fair to FC Rangers, the direct victim. I was very excited and hopeful that it would turn into reality, and believe me, it was a serious discussion back then, and there was indeed hope that we could regain that cup one way or another. Remember, there wasn’t Internet back then, and all day everyday I would wait for the news on the radio or the TV. It was a long wait for me, and in the end, all UEFA did was to strip OM of their right to (1) defend their championship in UCL (OM were kicked out of 93-94 UCL); (2) participate in the Super Cup and Toyota Cup as the European Champions League champion.

It was even more painful experience afterwards. Milan went in place of OM and were close to winning both tournaments, but eventually lost out on both - it was particularly tragic for Papin – again, another Frenchman – who scored in both tournaments but lost both, also Papin was eventually phased out of Milan first team which was on the way to win both Serie A and UCL for that 93-94 season.

On the topic, it is WAY too late now after 18 years. That's not going to happen. Even if they decided to reopen the investigation (I doubt it strongly), the most that can be done (and I doubt it strongly) would be to strip OM of that trophy, otherwise, it would be unfair to FC Rangers who would have qualified from the other group.

And we all need to move on. I know I have moved on. Since then, we have reached CL finals five more times and won three of them. The joy of winning at Athens (actually, twice) and London and even the sorrow of losing at Vienna and Istanbul were simply priceless. I am not sure how I would react if Milan were actually to be awarded the 1993 trophy.

Thanks xudong for that post. I enjoyed reading that.

I was 3 years old back then, so couldn't watch it. Tongue

It is indeed to late now. And we aren't Merda to win trophies like that. Big Grin
"We are a team of devils. Our colours are red as fire, and black, to invoke fear in our opponents!"
Herbert Kilpin

Nella gioia e nell' dolore, per il Milan eterno amore!
(04-30-2011, 08:56 PM)theaxeofpain Wrote: Thanks xudong for that post. I enjoyed reading that.

I was 3 years old back then, so couldn't watch it. Tongue

It is indeed to late now. And we aren't Merda to win trophies like that. Big Grin

my pleasure, my friend. Smile and nice shot at Merda. Big Grin
(04-30-2011, 08:58 PM)xudong Wrote: my pleasure, my friend. Smile and nice shot at Merda. Big Grin

There is no pleasure in winning trophies like that really. Trophies are won on the pitch, not "on the table"(don't know if in English is used this expression, but I think you get the point).

Well played by Berlusca wanting the rematch. Okmilan
"We are a team of devils. Our colours are red as fire, and black, to invoke fear in our opponents!"
Herbert Kilpin

Nella gioia e nell' dolore, per il Milan eterno amore!
(04-30-2011, 09:07 PM)theaxeofpain Wrote:
(04-30-2011, 08:58 PM)xudong Wrote: my pleasure, my friend. Smile and nice shot at Merda. Big Grin

There is no pleasure in winning trophies like that really. Trophies are won on the pitch, not "on the table"(don't know if in English is used this expression, but I think you get the point).

Well played by Berlusca wanting the rematch. Okmilan

yep, got your point. table, fax machine, whatever. Big Grin English is not my first language either, so we are in the same boat. Icon_lol2
8 is better than 7, so if AC Milan can get it back, I would love to see it happen. Bring the trophy to San Siro ..............
Argentina will win the World Cup 2018

[Image: mhj0y.jpg]