Summer mercato 2015
That's a great point Jay, how the EPL edits footage plays an important role in how people perceive the game. Another example I find is how the camera follows the action.

In most places, I tend to think the camera's rather static and further out from the action, while in the Premiership it feels closer and there's more movement. The makes the game feel more action packed, faster and aggressive, even if it's not.

Personally I prefer the camera more static and further out as it gives a better perspective on how teams are moving on the pitch, but I think that's also as I like to see the tactical sides of games, while those who prefer the action and passion of the sport will prefer the closer camera. I am in the minority though in this respect.

Getting back to topic, Baselli denies any agreement with Milan:

http://www.football-italia.net/62618/bas...milan-deal

(02-13-2015, 06:37 PM)slifersd Wrote: Well said.

Italian teams are tactically focused, but that doesn't really mean they are good at tactics, lol. Tactics is some kind of mythical thing for Italian teams. They think they can just put in a new tactic or formation and all of a sudden Bonera would play like Nesta. That's why Milan keeps demanding results from a shitty squad. They keep thinking the coach should be able to just change our formation and all of a sudden, we are world beaters again even with the likes of Muntari and Essien in the starting 11. It's ridiculous, but then again, it is Italian soccer, so that's not surprising at all.

Italian soccer needs more forward thinking than anything else. It's not about who is actually the CEO or owner or whatever, but an attitude. Companies do not always relay on one CEO to make all the decisions, it is a collective effort. If the CEO is a bit old fashioned, it is also up to his direct staff to try and steer the company into the right direction. But Italian teams run like mom and pop stores, where one person basically decides everything and everyone else just has to smile and nod and agree. For the life of me, i do not know why after so many years of rapid decline in every aspect, Italian soccer is still not seeking for any kind of change. I mean, if my company is in rapid decline for anything over 5 years, the CEO would have been let go with a snap of the finger.

Thanks Smile

Your first paragraph there reminds me of a comment Boban made not too long ago:

http://www.football-italia.net/58621/%E2...6%E2%80%99

I think you both make very similar points and I completely agree. Tactics are one aspect of the game, but aren't the determining part of football, which is a combination of teams possessing various qualities, tactical play being one.

Boban's one of my favourite pundits in Italy because he's very honest and imo almost always on the mark, plus he shows his passion for the game often. I know he's not always popular, because he has been very critical of Milan and Italian football overall in recent years.

Your second paragraph is totally on point too imo. Very few big modern businesses have a central point of management and it's a concept that's almost extinct imo. I read some posts on R&B forum lately and there's been posts there too about having a decentralised management structure in Milan. It seems everyone, other than certain people in the club, want to move to a modern way of working.

Anyway, fantastic post.

(02-13-2015, 07:07 PM)reza Wrote: People being able to hang on to their jobs too long is not an Italian thing. The issue with football in Italy is not exclusive to Italy at all. Even after this many years of decline there isn't more than a handful of countries better situated. I am talking as a whole that includes everything, not just quality of the product on the pitch. The positive change in Roma's ownership for example is much more difficult in many many more places.

EDIT: Even in England, take away a handful of teams and see the ownership changes and situation at Cardiff City, Aston Villa, QPR .... hardly rosy. These are three teams who foreigners took over, there are also relative long time local ownership with lots of problems like Wigan.

I agree reza. What you describe imo is politics.
A big problem over the last few years is having brought in too many new players, and new coaches with 0 experience and no real plan to put in place. Both Seedorf and Inzaghi had switched formations and entire starting 11's multiple times this season&last, without having found a solid way to make the team function. A more experienced coach like Prandelli/Conte etc. would come in knowing exactly what formation to play, exactly what type of players they need for each position and furthermore, they will know exactly how to execute it. With a team of so many new players, not much chemistry, AND an inexperienced coach like Inzaghi/Seedorf is a recipe for disaster IMO, now that I think of it.

However, this all just rolls back to upper management (namely, b&g), it just shows that they have no real plan. A real plan would consist of a worthy coach and investing the money to buy players the coach needs to make his team work as he wants. Inzaghi still doesn't know what his ideal formation is, so essentially all the players we buy are just for the sake of bringing in new players. I don't blame Inzaghi or Seedorf though, I blame management of course.

And because of all this, it's like we start from scratch every year. The only way a team makes progress together is when a coach puts together his best starting 11 based on the game he wants to play, and things stay consistent. Then improvements begin to come into place, buying new players but playing a different starting 11 every game with a different formation calls for different tactics and essentially an entirely new plan from almost 0. How can we make so many transitions in a season and expect to win games? I believe this is the problem with Milan, of many.
Milan are now reportedly interested in Empoli's Valdifiori.He's well this season so far but its just more average players that wont help us break out as a mid table and below side.
He has done well this season for a 29 yr old whos whole career has been outside of Serie A.These signings (if it happens ) are pointless they dont improve the squad they just bloat it further with nore average old players.He'll prob get a 300% pay increase if he did sign.VanGinkel Essien DeJong are gone in June ,so a mid of Monty Poli Muntari Baselli ? & Valdifiori is just plain poor.Oh we'll have Birsa back too.

This club has a dark future ATM.
(02-20-2015, 08:37 AM)Jay Crisp Wrote: This club has a dark future ATM.

Pretty much as long as G is still here. In addition our promising youngsters have been regressed and showed no sign of improvement the last two years. Our hyped youth system sucks too Facepalm
(02-21-2015, 05:46 AM)Sheldon Wrote:
(02-20-2015, 08:37 AM)Jay Crisp Wrote: This club has a dark future ATM.

Pretty much as long as G is still here. In addition our promising youngsters have been regressed and showed no sign of improvement the last two years. Our hyped youth system sucks too Facepalm

Well our youth players just cant prosper here.Milan are a mid-table team now yet the owner still talks of winning and playing in the UCL fonal at San Siro next year Devilol

So the expectations are not the same as other mid table teams that can afford to experiment with youth.Teams like Sassuolo Cesena Chievo Empoli Palermo that are happy to solidify their Serie A status.
At Milan every game is a must win and the thinking within the club is players like Muntari Bonera Essien Pazzo Abbiatti Zaccardo are more reliable.This has a problem in Italy , not trusting a young player unless theyre exceptional.The likes of Mastour Di Molfetta Gori Modic etc.. will never prosper at Milan.
Not trusting young players is only part of this team's problem. To me, its biggest problem is the fact that everyone in the club is completely clueless as to how to actually develop a young player.

Player development is really an art. To be able to identify a raw talent, bring him in, give him the development that he needs and then provide him with the platform to succeed is an awful lot of work. And that is exactly what this team is currently lacking. We can always talk about how the team showed no faith with Cristante and Niang, but it's not like they did any better with Pato, ELS or DES. Those guys had the faith of the team, and still failed or are failing miserably.
(02-21-2015, 10:43 AM)slifersd Wrote: Not trusting young players is only part of this team's problem. To me, its biggest problem is the fact that everyone in the club is completely clueless as to how to actually develop a young player.

Player development is really an art. To be able to identify a raw talent, bring him in, give him the development that he needs and then provide him with the platform to succeed is an awful lot of work. And that is exactly what this team is currently lacking. We can always talk about how the team showed no faith with Cristante and Niang, but it's not like they did any better with Pato, ELS or DES. Those guys had the faith of the team, and still failed or are failing miserably.

I agree.

Sheldon, I disagree that the youth system sucks, I think they have developed some very promising talents. Problem is these players are struggling to make a real jump at senior level, which is difficult to do and is dependent on so much beyond just talent.

If I was in Galli's position, my question would be to ask why. They have talent, so why is it so few are able to do anything significant at senior level. I'd be questioning why they aren't getting space in the first team, but I'd also be looking at why they struggle to make a jump even if they leave Milan. I suspect it's a lack of maturity mentally, where the players aren't taking the steps they need to and taking on responsibility to make themselves stand out at senior level.
(02-21-2015, 08:47 AM)Jay Crisp Wrote: Well our youth players just cant prosper here.Milan are a mid-table team now yet the owner still talks of winning and playing in the UCL fonal at San Siro next year Devilol

So the expectations are not the same as other mid table teams that can afford to experiment with youth.Teams like Sassuolo Cesena Chievo Empoli Palermo that are happy to solidify their Serie A status.
At Milan every game is a must win and the thinking within the club is players like Muntari Bonera Essien Pazzo Abbiatti Zaccardo are more reliable.This has a problem in Italy , not trusting a young player unless theyre exceptional.The likes of Mastour Di Molfetta Gori Modic etc.. will never prosper at Milan.

(02-21-2015, 10:43 AM)slifersd Wrote: Not trusting young players is only part of this team's problem. To me, its biggest problem is the fact that everyone in the club is completely clueless as to how to actually develop a young player.

(02-21-2015, 11:29 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: I agree.

Sheldon, I disagree that the youth system sucks, I think they have developed some very promising talents. Problem is these players are struggling to make a real jump at senior level, which is difficult to do and is dependent on so much beyond just talent.

If I was in Galli's position, my question would be to ask why. They have talent, so why is it so few are able to do anything significant at senior level. I'd be questioning why they aren't getting space in the first team, but I'd also be looking at why they struggle to make a jump even if they leave Milan. I suspect it's a lack of maturity mentally, where the players aren't taking the steps they need to and taking on responsibility to make themselves stand out at senior level.

You guys made some great points and I agree with that. However, it's not like our youngsters will bloom if they go elsewhere. Most of them couldn't make impact in a Serie B or even Serie C team
Frankly, we wasted most our opportunities to develop our youngsters.

Merda did well, Longo is developing well, Kovacic is showing himself, and Icardi is scoring like a machine. El Shaarawy is regressing day by day, De Sciglio can fit in with Palermo the way he's been playing, Niang left and is doing very good at Genoa, Suso hasn't seen the pitch yet, Mastour seems like he was over hyped, mind you too early to talk, but still. My point is, if we're emphasizing youth, then we need to do a lot better.
Well, Coluccini and Martin Laursen were Pretty good defenders after they left Milan. Viera, Davids and Kluivert were WC after they left. Antonelli, the one who signed with Milan in Jan was a nobody during the. Milan Youth team and became an IT international the moment he left Milan. Both Matri and Borreilo found more success playing teams other than Milan, while both were from the youth system. Gourcuff had his career year the moment he left Milan. Hunter was doing not bad after he left too.

I think it has a lot to do with how Milan is training and developing younger players off the pitch more than just play them and let them gain exp. when you look back at all the U23 players that Milan either brought up from youth or signed over the past 15 yrs or so, with the exception of Pirlo, Serginho, Gattuso, Ambro, Sheva, Kaka, Abate, DES, SES, Antonini, Mario, Silva, KAladaze, and Pato. And of those I mentioned, DES, SES, KAladaze, Antonini, Mario and Pato, none of them had played more than three good seasons. Once you take these 6 away, you are left with 8 players over a span of 15 yrs and 6 of them are from the same period.
Then you look at all those who were signed or promoted from Youth whom played their worst football while in Milan, as mentioned, Coloucini, Martin Laursen, Roque Jr, Jose Mari, Contra, Borreilo, Giladino, Bonera, Viduz, Cardiaso, Polashi, Gourcuff, Darmian, Sanderous, Flamini, Mattioni, Sokartis, Urby, Merkal, strausser, Didac, Gabriel, sure there are more but could not think or them now. True that not all of them are good players per say, but some of them did turned out to be pretty good players or the very least Milan could use.