Week 30: A.C. Milan - Sampdoria (Sunday, April 12 - 20:45 CET)
5th vs 8th! We welcome Sampdoria to the San Siro this weekend for the second of our "ten finals" as Pippo put it. Samp have had a pretty good season by their standards and obviously should not be underestimated. We came away with a win this past weekend by the skin of our teeth to be honest. Palermo's defense basically gave us a gift at the end for us to secure the three points. Europe is still a dream but a win here would do well in trying to make that dream become a reality!

Lineups, news and called up players all to come later. What does our injury list look like currently?
Siamo a posto cosi.
Sampdoria has been amazingly consistent this season and has earned a lot of respect. Of course I hope for a Milan win but really can't see that happen though. You can not win when you don't play like a team. Maybe a draw?

I thought that most of our key players have returned from injury?
Except Honda, Mastour and El Shaarawy all are close, not necessarily ready to play but close.
Wallbang
Bonaventura and van Ginkel won't be available it seems, ankle and knee issues respectively. The midfield players available to start this game are basically Poli, de Jong, Essien.
Maybe we could beg Muntari to change his mind and play for us.. I bet we will. Rolleyes
Only if we give him the captain's armband Wink
Siamo a posto cosi.
(04-09-2015, 09:29 PM)xudong Wrote: Maybe we could beg Muntari to change his mind and play for us.. I bet we will. Rolleyes

Not a chance. He's already in Ghana having fun now Big Grin
Nope, he's still training at Milanello to show how professional he is. Big Grin

Honestly, this is where I'd look to give an opportunity to a guy like Mastalli.
Pippo pre-match conference:

Quote:MILAN- On Saturday, Filippo Inzaghi held his pre-match press conference ahead of the Round 30 Serie A match Milan-Sampdoria. This is what the coach had to say:

Opening comments: "We know that Sunday’s match is very important for us, but we need to have the confidence to play these type of matches like we know how. We’re aware of the fact that if we were to play badly during the match, all of the problems from a while ago would all come back. Unfortunately in football playing well doesn’t always guarantee you a win. Let’s hope it is a good match. The value of the training sessions have now changed; when there is more competition the training sessions become more intense. Ahead of the match I always tend to have 2 or 3 doubts. The positive results give you more confidence and serenity. This has all helped us."

The coach continued: "All the talk about the coach for next year is simply gossip. Sunday will be a good match, Sampdoria are having an excellent season, we’re in a good moment right now and we have to continue like we’re doing. I am not worrying about Sampdoria’s attitude and rather I am thinking about us. We have to be aggressive in order to collect the 3 points. We have to play an attacking match. Sampdoria have some important players, with lots of quality and their position in the league table speaks for itself. To win we will need an excellent performance, like at Palermo. After Palermo equalised, we did very well. When you concede a goal in that way it is hard to react, but we were able to, and the reaction of the team leaves me very optimistic."

A word on Milan’s recent form: "The link-up play in attack has helped us obtain some good results. We know that some of this is part of the team’s DNA and that some of these moves need to be worked on because players like Cerci and Destro arrived afterwards. Everyone however has the right attitude and this leaves me calm. Menez plays in a disciplined manner, he attacks, but he also helps the team. He says that he can play in all three attacking positions and I also believe that. Bonaventura will be called up if the final training session goes well, it will be down to me to choose 2 between Poli, Van Ginkel and Bonaventura that will start and who will start from the bench. Everyone out on the pitch has to give their all, our aim has to be to play a great match. In Florence we gave an excellent performance. We have to keep playing the kind of football that we have been playing lately. Until the final 3 or 4 matches of the season, I do not want to look at the league table. We have welcomed back lots of players from injury and we now have to be consistent with our results. The fact that we have the whole squad available is a source of strength for me and the team. It’s right to focus on our opponents, but it’s Milan that has to dominate in matches."

Questioned about Sulley Muntari, this is what Inzaghi had to say: "Muntari has shown himself a great professional, when the club told him that he was no longer part of its plans he only asked not to be called up unless there was a need. Destro had a valid goal ruled out (against Palermo, editor’s note), he has to play with tranquility. I am convinced that his role is also important for Menez’s goals."

More on individuals: "Van Ginkel has done well in the past 3 matches and Suso did well when he came on against Palermo. Poli is very good, but unfortunately for him, he also does well coming off the bench! I know that the players on the bench can change the match and this is very important. When you do well it’s difficult to change the team, even if with all of the players available you have some doubts. De Sciglio, Zapata, Rami and Alex are now fit, it’s not easy to choose. There was a nice moment on Friday with De Sciglio. I told him that it’s hard for me to choose between him, Abate and Antonelli. He then said that it’s better for me if I think they’re all strong. This shows me what kind of player and person Mattia De Sciglio is. El Shaarawy will always stay at Milan, I hope he can be happy, because he is a great champion and a young player. Honda did all he could to try and be available for the match, but it wasn’t possible. We didn’t want to rush things and we will try and have him available for the derby."

Menez has been revitalised under Inzaghi following a difficult season by his own admission at PSG: "I don’t want to take the compliments for the season Menez is having. The club was good in recognising his qualities. I only asked to be able to speak to him and he gave me his commitment to play in every role in attack and he has done that. He has to keep trying to do even better. I appreciated the passes he made to Destro at Palermo. In addition to scoring he can become an important provider of assists."

Closing comments: "Destro will play on Sunday and I hope that he can score because he deserves it. I am a good friend of Sinisa Mihajlovic, I haven’t been coaching for long and slowly I will gain experience. The players are very motivated, we’ve trained well. It’s a fundamental match for us, but it’s a match that we have to play well, when you play well you increase your chances of winning. We have to play like Milan. I am convinced that we will win. When you choose a coach like me you know what you are going to be coming up against. I am happy with how I am doing and if Milan are happy with me I will continue with a great desire. I would like to repay the confidence towards me. I will always try to satisfy the President, the CEO Galliani and all of the fans."
Siamo a posto cosi.
D. Lopez; Abate, Paletta, Mexes, Antonelli; Van Ginkel, De Jong, Bonaventura; Cerci, Destro, Menez.
Abbiati, Donnarumma (99), Alex, Bocchetti, Bonera, De Sciglio, Rami, Zapata, Mastalli (36), Poli, Suso, Pazzini.

Thankfully, the injury fears were unfounded, didn't have to call up Muntari Big Grin
I hope they don't aggravate their knocks though.