PDA

View Full Version : We Need A Defender

totti_jonaid
08-12-2004, 09:45
January is not to far and the transfer windows are about to open. Milan looks to be one of the most arrogant and set teams. Our only problem seems to be that we lack a subtitute defender. The playing 4 are the best in the world but when it comes to subtitutes we have Kaladze or Costacurta. Kaladze is fine at LB or can even be used as a RB but I hate to say that Costacurta makes many un-forced errors which means nothing else then that we desperatley need a CB as a cover for Stam and Nesta.
Moreover sometime I have seen that when we need to replace Stam or Nesta we bring in Kaladze as a LB and move Maldini to CB. This moves seems to be an odd one since Maldini is not a young player who can adjust to any position. Maldini is 38 and at this age it will be more wise to use him in a single position rather than swapping his position after every match or two and let the CB job to some one else.
Eboue was a very good option but Arsenel have grabed him. Could you guys think of someone else? opinions needed, or will you disagree with my comment. :musk:

Franco6
08-12-2004, 10:00
At the moment we have also Coloccini (that played a good game vs Celtic) and Simic (which will return in january following an operation). For this season we are ok.

However since Costacurta, Maldini, Stam, Pancaro and Cafu are over 31 our managers have to think about youn defenders. First option: Daniele Bonera of Parma, he is young and play as a right back or centre back. Do not forget Christian Chivu of roma!!!!!

ariel
08-12-2004, 10:55
Moreover sometime I have seen that when we need to replace Stam or Nesta we bring in Kaladze as a LB and move Maldini to CB. This moves seems to be an odd one since Maldini is not a young player who can adjust to any position. :musk:

I think that exactly because of Paolo`s age(read: experience ) is ok to switch his position rather than a postion of some other not so experienced player,because in my opinion they would be those who can`t adjust to playing in any position.

I would also say that we are fine till the end of this season .Now,next year...i suppose managers will go for a new defender,personally i`d like it to be Bonera,but we will see.Maybe it`d be wise to stop thinking about it for the time being,because we seem to be doing fine with our defence(as you said the best in the world),i think they can handle the pressure,and as for future signings we`ll see what they can bring.:)
:rone: :gonova:

P.S.
I have always thought Ferrari could do fine in Milan and recently i`ve read an interview with him,where he basically praised our defence(nesta and paolo) and said that it is a shame he won`t ever play alongside paolo:proud:.I know he belongs to Roma now,but if some sort of a `miracle` happens at the beginning of the next season....i think i`d like it:D
Btw,i`ll try to find the link and post it so that you all can read it,i think it was on channel 4 anyway.

mk18
08-12-2004, 11:02
ill have to disagree with u on that one... ur probably sleepy because we have fine coverage at the back... if stam or nesta need a rest maldini will play at CB (and i agree with ariel on his first paragraph) which happens to be where he works best, also theres colocinni and theres billy available, as for LB u are wrong im affraid we have pancaro other than kaladze so that seems to be safe, at RB however comes the dilemma, where cafu is the only attacking fullback we have and is a go to guy, so if he is benched or unavailable then we would lose alot of our attacking power, despite the fact that colocinni, pancaro and billy have all played at RB as well as the injured simic.

PS: id like to see what gio is gonna say about this thread especially since hes been barking mad at the number of new threads that already have the discussion discussed in other threads.

ariel
08-12-2004, 11:08
(and i agree with ariel on his first paragraph)

HER:D

P.S.
Gio will be :fero:

Reza
08-12-2004, 11:27
I agree that long term planning is the important part, if someone really good becomes available this January we should try to get but he won't be getting much if any playing time this season anyhow

Henrik
08-12-2004, 11:50

P.S.
made me think of the Johnny Cash song "A boy named Sue" :D :kap:

Franco6
08-12-2004, 12:14

P.S.

:dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

ACMILAN1983
08-12-2004, 15:30
haha, mk, I'm sure Lorenzo will love to see you referring to Dragana as a guy :D

As for the topic. San "Paolo" (note Dragana ;) , no Jure syndrome this time :D ) is able to switch positions more than anyone in our defence (other than maybe Colo). Fact is, he is very well experienced in both positions. However, I think if he has to play out left later in the season, then I hope he gets to play there consistently for a while, as he clearly showed he needs to work on little things in that position earlier this year, but he is capable of switching positions "when necessary" (its best not to keep switching the defence around to get consistency).

The defence for this year is set. Simply put, we don't need any new faces in there at this point. This is especially important as the defence needs consistency to work as a unit and its lost when many new faces are bought in.

We probably will need some new faces during the summer, but even then we don't need to buy a whole new defence. I think both Maldini and Cafu may have another season in them, while players like Colo and hopefully Kala too should be given more playing time to gain experience and regain best form. We do have to look to the future, but this doesn't mean we need to buy many youngsters. Its much better/easier to get some good, reliable and proven players for the side and continue to stay at the top for a few years further than to completely risk everything on younger stars and try and build a side for the next 10-15 year.

At this point of the season, looking at our squad, I don't think we need any new players (that includes the attack as well).

mk18
08-12-2004, 16:42

P.S.

sorry i always get confused by the two of u... since ariel is a guy name (e.g ariel sharon that little ... :d55: ) while lombardia doesnt really tell if hes a guy or a girl.

Lombardia
08-12-2004, 16:44
just remember ariel as in ariel the little mermaid from the disney film.

but i have to agree, my nick does make it sound like i'm a girl!

MIRZA
09-12-2004, 08:35
I think that Puyol will be good replacement for our old defence.
I remember that I think last year we were in negotations with him?!?!

Henrik
09-12-2004, 08:46
just remember ariel as in ariel the little mermaid from the disney film.

"When Ariel Sharon met Ariel the little Mermaid"
Now that would be a blockbuster romantic comedy :pp20:

MilanManiac04
09-12-2004, 09:19
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/dec9d.html

Milan consider Bonera option

Alberto Gilardino may not be the only Parma player set for a move to Milan, as Daniele Bonera could join him.

It’s understood that the Stadio Tardini duo are expected to be targeted at the end of the season.

Whispers in the peninsula claim that initial negotiations have already taken place.

Milan’s Adriano Galliani and Ariedo Braida are believed to have met Arrigo Sacchi and Luca Baraldi last week after the game between the two sides.

Bonera, now a regular Italian international, is liked as he can play as both a right-back and a central defender.

Although the Rossoneri have one of the strongest defences around, the likes of Paolo Maldini, Marcos Cafu and Jaap Stam may not have too much time left in their careers.

Bonera was heavily associated with a move to Juventus before the start of this season but no switch took place.

Meanwhile, the Italian champions have also opened talks with Lecce over a possible swoop for Marco Cassetti.

The defender, 27, is set to join in the summer with Milan handing over Marco Donadel as part of the deal.

The central midfielder, captain of Claudio Gentile’s Under-21 side, is currently on loan at Sampdoria.

This will be a great buy for the future as the likes of maldini,stam,costacurta are at the end of their careers.What do u guys think?

Henrik
09-12-2004, 09:42
I am not a fan of Bonera. I think he is overrated (he is in the NT because the options are even bleaker) and too old to invest in given his quality. Had he been 23 with his quality then fine (don't come with Stam-was-over-30 arguments, he is class).

Stam is Cafu's back-up (or the other way around).

Giovanni
09-12-2004, 10:05
I am not a fan of Bonera. I think he is overrated (he is in the NT because the options are even bleaker) and too old to invest in given his quality. Had he been 23 with his quality then fine (don't come with Stam-was-over-30 arguments, he is class).

Stam is Cafu's back-up (or the other way around).
how old is Bonera? Look , he must be 23/24 in facts.

I don't think he's overrated at all, he is performing solidly in the last years.

plus i don't agree with the previous posts Stam career is about to finish..the same old record..Stam is a rock, he will play for many years to come

mk18
09-12-2004, 10:49
"When Ariel Sharon met Ariel the little Mermaid"
Now that would be a blockbuster romantic comedy :pp20:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

ACMILAN1983
09-12-2004, 11:51
how old is Bonera? Look , he must be 23/24 in facts.

I don't think he's overrated at all, he is performing solidly in the last years.

plus i don't agree with the previous posts Stam career is about to finish..the same old record..Stam is a rock, he will play for many years to come

I think Bonera is 27.

Franco6
09-12-2004, 12:15
I think Bonera is 27.

No no Bonera is not older than 23/24. He formed part of the italian under 21 that won the european championship last june.

ACMILAN1983
09-12-2004, 12:57
No no Bonera is not older than 23/24. He formed part of the italian under 21 that won the european championship last june.

yeah, good point. My guess was based on the reports about this rumour

Henrik
09-12-2004, 13:11
According to Goal.com he is born in 81, which would make him 23 going on 24 and according to the article that started the rumour on Channel4.com he is 27. I believe in the former.
Not old, so I retract that part of my argument. I still think we have ample coverage on the right and that Bonera is overrated though.

Brasileiro
09-12-2004, 18:17
IMO Milan are strong in defense this season, but for the next season Milan will need one central defender at least, and IMO the player to buy is Alex from PSV(the future best central of the world).
As PSV fans claim in their forum, "an better, strong and faster" Jaap Stam...
Galiani, buy the Tank next season!!!! :u56:

ASHWIN
10-12-2004, 01:59
We definitely need defenders.Milan has a very old rearguard.Costacurta and Maldini should retire by the end of this season.Cafu and Pancaro are too old to play on the flanks although they are one of the best in their positions.

Possibilities:Danielle Bonera(Parma),Christian Chivu(Roma),Cesare Bovo(Parma),Nicola Legrottaglie(Juventus)

Maldini_Forever
10-12-2004, 03:35
ill be really happy if Milan buy Puyol - Barcelona

Giovanni
10-12-2004, 04:20
We definitely need defenders.Milan has a very old rearguard.Costacurta and Maldini should retire by the end of this season.Cafu and Pancaro are too old to play on the flanks although they are one of the best in their positions.

Possibilities:Danielle Bonera(Parma),Christian Chivu(Roma),Cesare Bovo(Parma),Nicola Legrottaglie(Juventus)

man you want maldini to retire and want to bring in LeChoketaglie?
Cafu too old? do you see how he's performing? He's the best right back in the world even now!

MIRZA
10-12-2004, 07:34
I heard that Real want Chivu.
I don't know what does people see in Legrottaglie???He isn't good defender for me....
I agree that we shoulf try to buy Bonera, he is very good....
And I will add Puyol to list of players we should buy.

ASHWIN
10-12-2004, 08:53
man you want maldini to retire and want to bring in LeChoketaglie?
Cafu too old? do you see how he's performing? He's the best right back in the world even now!

First of all i never disagreed that Cafu is the best in the world.I just felt that we may need a replacement.Besides,we can't offload him if he gets any older.

Secondly,Maldini is 36 years old.He is still one of the best and he will forever be irreplaceable but how many years does he have left.It's better to leave now when he's on a high.

mk18
10-12-2004, 13:53
im sorry ashwin but i believe what u say is nonesense... i hate this argument... he must leave hes too old... dont u guys get it?!?!? u base ur argument on how good a player is, not on how old he is... i dont care if maldini is 1000 years old if hes good enough he should stay, especially on the expense of losers like legrotaglie.. :haha: ... besides maldini and costacurta are 2 of the longest serving players for milan u cant just tell them ciao after all whats theyve given... if so u should follow the mafia and not football!

Maldini_Forever
10-12-2004, 20:56
my option John Terry or Calos Puyol !! top defender !!

Nicola Legrottaglie is not really good, man .. hes doing nothing in Juve .. he cant even beat the old Thuram ..... and hes not that young i think ... around 25+

Secondly,Maldini is 36 years old.He is still one of the best and he will forever be irreplaceable but how many years does he have left.It's better to leave now when he's on a high.
dont worry about Maldini .... he always on high ... even when Milan struggling around '96-'97
Maldini never show a dissappointed performance even hes 36 ... his quality, his talent, his leadership will never gone .... until he retires
he knows when to retire ..

Chris
11-12-2004, 11:28
According to Goal.com he is born in 81, which would make him 23 going on 24 and according to the article that started the rumour on Channel4.com he is 27. I believe in the former.
Not old, so I retract that part of my argument. I still think we have ample coverage on the right and that Bonera is overrated though.

In that article on Channel4.com, it says Cassetti is 27 years old.
Not Bonera :tong:

Anyway, i'm not quite convinced about Bonera's ability as of yet.
Cafu holds for at least another season, after this current one.
We also have Pancaro, Stam and Simic who can play rightback if needed, and enough central defenders aswell imo. :)

MIRZA
14-12-2004, 07:05
What is with our youth team????
Do we have any good player there????

shevaandkaka'
26-12-2004, 11:44
perticone and legati are good players
kaka's brother digao is very good player
our both strikers are very good players
our goalkeeper is so bad.
farina is so bad.
our playmaker is so bad named mondonico
our left back is esajas he is 29 years old

shevaandkaka'
26-12-2004, 11:50
perticone and legati are good players
kaka's brother digao is very good player
our both strikers are very good players
our goalkeeper is so bad.
farina is so bad.
our playmaker is so bad named mondonico
our left back is esajas he is 29 years old

Koeke
27-12-2004, 11:01
Eboue was a very good option but Arsenel have grabed him. Could you guys think of someone else? opinions needed, or will you disagree with my comment. :musk:

eboue? he wasn't that impressive there are better players in the belgian league (Kompany) besides arsenal have an option on every player of beveren since they work togheter with the team also called Little Ivory Coast (aka Beveren) so I doubt milan could have get him...

kris
27-12-2004, 12:00

Lorenzo Marzoratti is a talent and plays for the Italian U19 team AFAIK.

apart from that I would keep my hopes up and wouldn't listen to the poster before me who pretends to know much. Let me also add that we own Leandro DePetris, who is a Argnetinian now loaned out to River Plate and is one of the most promising in their youth team. He is a playmaker/support striker tough.

BaggioForever
28-12-2004, 02:12
ill be really happy if Milan buy Puyol - Barcelona

i blieve alot of us will be happy if Milan signs Puyol :excited:

First of all i never disagreed that Cafu is the best in the world.I just felt that we may need a replacement.Besides,we can't offload him if he gets any older.

Paolo plays for Milan all his life and its not a matter of how many years left but like mk has said, even if hes a 1000 years old, as long as he feels he still can contribute to the team, Fester will NEVER let him go. However to ask him to leave on his high, no players with the right set of attitude and passion will do that. If the player is just looking for fame and money, he will just retire on a high. But this is PAOLO u r talking about, 20 years of glories ( more championship medals than we can count on our fingers :eekani: ) and humiliation(Serie B :depress: ) he had spent with Milan. He has been through it all. With player of THIS magnitude of passion n love for football and the club, it will infuriate all the fans in Milanello and the world to let Maldini go, ESPECIALLY if he is still on a high. So in any case, Paolo is staying and like Baresi, a living legend for all Milanistas to look up upon~

FORZA PAOLO!!~

ilgenio
28-12-2004, 03:11
Paolo plays for Milan all his life and its not a matter of how many years left but like mk has said, even if hes a 1000 years old, as long as he feels he still can contribute to the team, Fester will NEVER let him go. However to ask him to leave on his high, no players with the right set of attitude and passion will do that. If the player is just looking for fame and money, he will just retire on a high. But this is PAOLO u r talking about, 20 years of glories ( more championship medals than we can count on our fingers :eekani: ) and humiliation(Serie B :depress: ) he had spent with Milan. He has been through it all. With player of THIS magnitude of passion n love for football and the club, it will infuriate all the fans in Milanello and the world to let Maldini go, ESPECIALLY if he is still on a high. So in any case, Paolo is staying and like Baresi, a living legend for all Milanistas to look up upon~

FORZA PAOLO!!~

Maldini has yet to play for Milan when Milan were in Serie B.

Maldini should retire when he's still at the top. In Baresi's last season, Franco was smoked by the likes of :eekani: Nicola Amoruso :eekani: If that could happen to Baresi, it could well happen to Maldini too, and I don't wish to see him suffer the same humiliating fate. It's for Maldini & more importantly, Milan's sake.

BaggioForever
28-12-2004, 04:10
ok..i was wrong on the humiliation part..should have been the 96/97 n 97/98 season where milan struggled @ mid-table

i feel that, as long as Maldini is still solid @ the back, he shouldnt be asked to leave but only at his own request. Like you said, its for Maldini's sake but only he can decide when he should retire. Therefore, in the meantime, he shouldnt be asked to leave just becoz he is 36 yrs old. As for Baresi's case, not all that had happened will happen to Paolo. If Paolo never try, he will never know whether or not he is still up @ the highest level. At least Franco had tried n failed, and retired as soon as he knows he isnt up there anymore. So i hope Paolo will continue to give his best (for Milan's sake), even if he is made a fool out of the likes of some anoymonous player, at least he tried and will therefore gladfully hand-over his armband to the next suitable candidate.

Giovanni
28-12-2004, 04:29
Bonera looks very solid every time i watch him, and he's rather good on the right flank as well
I too believe Maldini has to retire when still at top, but this won't happen before a couple of seasons because he can still play at top for a couple of seasons more, and he has to lift a Champion's League Cup one time more before retiring :proud:

mk18
28-12-2004, 06:02
so what?!?! ... billy is 37 and hes still looking great... amoruso my a$$ ... billy kept zlatan at bay last time i saw him

Giovanni
28-12-2004, 06:40
so what?!?! ... billy is 37 and hes still looking great... amoruso my a$$ ... billy kept zlatan at bay last time i saw him
agree
he's like wine, the more he ages the more he gets better

BaggioForever
28-12-2004, 21:01
yup...Maldini still has to lift the Champions cup once more before he retires...but what if he lifts it up this season? :dontkn: :grinser:

ilgenio
29-12-2004, 06:06

Watch Baresi's last season again, if it can happen to someone great like Baresi, it can well happen to Maldini & Costacurta too :stuckup:

mk18
29-12-2004, 11:28
at what age did baresi retire?

Franco6
29-12-2004, 11:32
he was 37, what's the point?

MIRZA
30-12-2004, 14:37
Lorenzo Marzoratti is a talent and plays for the Italian U19 team AFAIK.

apart from that I would keep my hopes up and wouldn't listen to the poster before me who pretends to know much. Let me also add that we own Leandro DePetris, who is a Argnetinian now loaned out to River Plate and is one of the most promising in their youth team. He is a playmaker/support striker tough.
If they are good then why don't we take them to our first team??? :dontkn:

ACMILAN1983
30-12-2004, 16:09
If they are good then why don't we take them to our first team??? :dontkn:

The players aren't ready for first squad yet. Hopefully, over time they will be

MIRZA
31-12-2004, 05:16
The players aren't ready for first squad yet. Hopefully, over time they will be
I hope so....
:v408: :v408: :v408: :v408: :v408: :v408: