PDA

View Full Version : Is Cafu leaving us?

GRE-NO-LI
04-01-2006, 23:07
Cafu mystery for Milan
5.1 || webmaster

Source: Football Italia

There are reports that Marcos Cafu’s delayed return from Brazil could push him to leave Milan this month, while Clarence Seedorf warns there’s no room for error.

Full-back Cafu has been on compassionate leave after the Christmas break to be with his father through illness, which is said to be one of the reasons why he is looking for a return to his home club San Paolo.

That move was set to take place in the summer, but it’s now claimed he could walk out on the Rossoneri within the next couple of weeks.

Already struggling with recurring injuries to Paolo Maldini, Jaap Stam and Dario Simic, Milan must therefore reinforce their defence during the January transfer window.

The number one target right now is Lazio’s Italian international Massimo Oddo, but there could also be an ‘exchange’ with Cafu’s beloved San Paolo.

The Brazilian club has his natural replacement in a Milan jersey, Lugano, and might be able to tempt them into releasing Cafu early by handing over the younger version. Other options include Hertha Berlin man Simunic and Lyon star Cris.

_____

I think nobody will deny that Cafu is (well, being more precise: 'was'...) an outstanding player, but if he really wants to go back to San Paolo, with the arrival of Lugano to replace him, I guess it's a great deal for Milan.

K77SH C
04-01-2006, 23:31
Hes probably asked for a few extra days, is he even fit yet.

I hear planty of good things about Lugano, but hes a centre back.

GRE-NO-LI
05-01-2006, 08:04
Lugano can play also as wing back. :-)

jani
05-01-2006, 09:17
are you sure?

he's a very big guy. but so is Stam so.. :D

Dave
05-01-2006, 09:19
If the deal must be completed then let it be!!!!

GRE-NO-LI
05-01-2006, 10:39
']are you sure?

he's a very big guy. but so is Stam so.. :D

Hehehehe, for sure! :D

Brasileiro
06-01-2006, 08:28
Lugano playing RB??ahahahaha
No way!!!
I saw cafu saying that if Milan wants to give him one more year contract, he will be pleased...and will accept(sp?)...

mk18
07-01-2006, 05:41
cafu is a player that i absolutely adore... hes one in a million, but he hasnt featured for us alot this season and i think his days are coming to an end, id love to see him stay for longer if he believes he can still produce the goods but if he features 1 every 5 games and with his wish to play for sao paolo to finish his career im not sure its the best decision for both milan and him. i think oddo should come! ... 4M is nothing for a polayer of oddos calibre.

ariel
07-01-2006, 09:38
I also absolutely adore Cafu,but enough is enough.Some here will probably beg to differ,but at his age and after all the things that he has done and achieved i think for him it is a huge pressure to play every game,and therefore i`d say that his days are over.That of course doesn`t mean that he can`t play anymore and that he isn`t able to perform well,but not in every single game.IMO,we need someone in that position who could be `a reflection` of a younger Cafu,the one who would go forward,make perfect passes and excellent clearences.I don`t know if this news about him leaving is true but if that`s his wish and if he feels that he should be close to his father and to end his career at his home club,then it is something that we`ve got to respect.He brought a lot to the world of football in general and to us as well.I have personally never seen Lugano play thus i can`t make any judgements on that matter,i just know we need some fresh blood.:)
Forza Marcos!

Tony75
07-01-2006, 13:43
I think Camara of Parma would be a good option on the right. He's young, quick, a good tackler, and with the right environment has a lot of potential to improve.

_MaJi_tz
08-01-2006, 08:00
zaccardo from palermo is my option he is young italian player fast......
he was great in saturday game against juve

GRE-NO-LI
08-01-2006, 10:27
Yes, Zaccardo certainly is a great option.

Ördöglány
08-01-2006, 11:33
zaccardo from palermo is my option he is young italian player fast......
he was great in saturday game against juve
Yes, Zaccardo is young, Italian, fast....but makes too many mistakes for my liking! Perhaps not against Juve but I saw him several times in the national team in the autumn, and he alone gave away 2-3 goals in as many games. Lippi was critisized a lot for playing him instead of Oddo for example.....
He cannot be an immediate solution to our problems IMO, he must improve.....

mk18
08-01-2006, 18:47
it has to be oddo.. i dont understand why hes not here already... its like destiny

K77SH C
08-01-2006, 19:20
Personally, I would prefer not signing anyone and playing Stam at right back if the best we can do is Oddo.

hwmook
09-01-2006, 17:39
Personally, I would prefer not signing anyone and playing Stam at right back if the best we can do is Oddo.

the problem is we don't have enough players at all. with no injury, maldini and nesta in centre and stam at right back would do. simic is the only backup at centre back and right back. with injury to maldini, who else can we field? seriously, we just need decent players to tide us till end season when we can then make plans for the future.

São Paulo
10-01-2006, 17:28
São Paulo's president said there's no way of exchanging Lugano for Cafú. Cafu is welcome here, but Milan won't get Lugano for free.

Therefore, at least until July, Lugano will play for São Paulo.

http://www.saopaulofc.net/galeria/brasileiro_2004/spfc_x_santos/11lugano_380.jpg

K77SH C
10-01-2006, 17:43
Id rather milan not sign average players and watch the hole in the team for the next few months. If we sign Oddo he will be our solution for at least a season and a half. I dont think hes good enough. Then again, remember Pancaro, but thats not likely to happen again.

GRE-NO-LI
10-01-2006, 18:29
Oh no, another Pancaro no....

By the way, I totally agree with hwmook: our squad is very small, if one our key players get injured we will be on big ****...

K77SH C
10-01-2006, 18:36
What I meant by Pancaro is that he came to Milan and nobody expected any thing from him yet he was exceptional for us that year.

GRE-NO-LI
10-01-2006, 18:45
Oh... ok, I have misunderstood you.

mk18
10-01-2006, 20:12
oddo is much more capable than pancaro, i think if oddo plays for a big team he can be onsidered one of the best RBs in the world, i just dont se what u find bad about him, he attacks, he defends, he crosses, he even scores every now and then, hes italian as well and he has been raised at milan and hes at the age where he should reach hs peak, plus e should have the determination to win besides the experience he has aswell. he also increibly cheap given what he has... hes made to play for us if u ask me.

GRE-NO-LI
10-01-2006, 21:47
I tend to agree with Mk:I see Oddo as a near complete RB, very skilled and strong. I hope we can pick him that month, and Lugano in the summer window, since our 'beloved' board don't want to buy the necessary reinforcements now.

K77SH C
11-01-2006, 10:49
Im sorry, I dont rate him. If he wasnt Italian we wouldnt even be interested. If he was potentially one of the best rightbacks in the world then a clever guy like Lippi would pick him for Italy.

Acmir^
11-01-2006, 12:29
Im sorry, I dont rate him. If he wasnt Italian we wouldnt even be interested. If he was potentially one of the best rightbacks in the world then a clever guy like Lippi would pick him for Italy.

Well, he is in the Italy squad you think Lippi will play Zacardo instead of Oddo he is far better and more experienced player which is very important for a World Cup place

hwmook
11-01-2006, 15:03
oddo is much more capable than pancaro, i think if oddo plays for a big team he can be onsidered one of the best RBs in the world, i just dont se what u find bad about him, he attacks, he defends, he crosses, he even scores every now and then, hes italian as well and he has been raised at milan and hes at the age where he should reach hs peak, plus e should have the determination to win besides the experience he has aswell. he also increibly cheap given what he has... hes made to play for us if u ask me.

much more capable than pancaro, YES. one of the best RB...NO. he is just a good RB, that's all. he is not the kind of player that i would get excited about if he come. i would just be glad.

mk18
11-01-2006, 18:58

well there are alot of great players that are never selected to play for their NT, what about v.bommel and half the ex-dutch players out there?? mvb prefers younger players, what about frey??? u honestly think that frey isnt the best french GK there is?? how about trap not chosing pirlo or gattuso for the NT for a long while until he realised hes out of his mind??? .. its a matter of preference.

hwmook, ok im not saying oddo is the best RB in the world, but i honestly cant think of many better RBs out there in the world right now, if u can name me more than 5 and i can be convinced then maybe ur right but i doubt it, and cafu doesnt count because if u ask me, if oddo comes, hell take cafus place unless cafu finds his fitness again. besides, name me any better RBs for a better price than oddo's

GilAttack [11]
11-01-2006, 19:48
Oddo is a fan favorite in Lazio, I dont know if they are willing to let him go.

K77SH C
11-01-2006, 21:42
well there are alot of great players that are never selected to play for their NT, what about v.bommel and half the ex-dutch players out there?? mvb prefers younger players, what about frey??? u honestly think that frey isnt the best french GK there is?? how about trap not chosing pirlo or gattuso for the NT for a long while until he realised hes out of his mind??? .. its a matter of preference.

I dont only not rate him because he doesnt play for Italy, I just think hes over rated generally. The last thing we need with Maldini and Cafu retiring is mediocre replacements.

GavinMilan
12-01-2006, 01:42
For ARgument sake, I really want to name 5 RBS that is as good or better than Oddo.

Sagnol comes to mind

Gallas when he plays RB

Pugol, but he does not play RB anymore

J. Zanetti also is a better RB, when he plays there

I think thats about it, if u don't include Cafu and Stam.

mk18
12-01-2006, 04:14
For ARgument sake, I really want to name 5 RBS that is as good or better than Oddo.

Sagnol comes to mind

Gallas when he plays RB

Pugol, but he does not play RB anymore

J. Zanetti also is a better RB, when he plays there

I think thats about it, if u don't include Cafu and Stam.

gallas, puyol, and stam are all not natural RB's ... if were gonna get some1 to take cafu's role, he has to be a natural RB who also knows how to attack and none are better than oddo at that.

i like sagnol and zanetti as well but zanetti these past few years isnt as good as oddo IMO, sagnol i think is a good RB but its pointless to dicuss him since he just resigned with bayern... point is... there arent many better RBs in the world than oddo and with that price and his availability as well as our need for an RB i cant see how this can be a bad move

GavinMilan
12-01-2006, 21:38
Like I said, this is just for argument sake, MK18.

Just one thought though, I always thought Pugol was a RB then he switched to CB and now sometime LB.

One more thing, I read awhile back that Maldini grew up kicking with a right foot, then he switched to left. Have u heard of that before?

GRE-NO-LI
12-01-2006, 22:06
Hmmmm.... I've read that too. But Maldini is unique, he belongs to another league, he's legend material, "the stuff dreams are made on", we can't expect that other players could do what he did and already does.

Brasileiro
13-01-2006, 10:13
Cafu in Milan Official HP:

THE CONTRACT IS READY AND WAITING
1/13/2006 3:10:00 PM
'There was never the possibility of remaining in Brazil without returning to Milan. First of all, because no one knew the real motive I had to stay in my own country, which was just to help with my father’s recovery in overcoming a delicate situation: my father is fine now, his problem has been resolved. Secondly, because there was never anything true about my possibility of going to San Paolo.' This is how Marcos Cafu cleared up any misunderstanding about his trip back to Brazil just before the winter break. He added: 'I have not decided how I will end my career. I have a contract with Milan until June 30, 2007. I can then go back to Brazil, I can retire, or I can sign a contract until June 30, 2008 which is ready for me at Milan headquarters. At the moment, all I am thinking about is training to get ready, then we’ll see in a relaxed manner.' A way to improve the defence: ’Since I have been here at Milan I have always heard about the problems of this defence. We have one a title, two Super Cups, got to the Champions League final and finished second in the league last season ...'

hitmannq8
13-01-2006, 10:39
Galliani has again said that we will not sign any more players for January. What is with him and the January window? He hasnt signed a player in January for a long time now, the only 1 is Amoroso and that is because we had to because Vieri left, and the other 1 is Pozzi who was for our youth squad. I really cant understand why doesnt he go for Oddo or Lugano? or at the very least try to secure them for June?

GRE-NO-LI
13-01-2006, 12:10
Galliani has again said that we will not sign any more players for January. What is with him and the January window? He hasnt signed a player in January for a long time now, the only 1 is Amoroso and that is because we had to because Vieri left, and the other 1 is Pozzi who was for our youth squad. I really cant understand why doesnt he go for Oddo or Lugano? or at the very least try to secure them for June?

Unfortunatelly it the seems that we can only sign veterans on free transfers... ****, we persist in behave like a poor side, that's untolerable! I'm not saying that we need to splash money in a crazy way like Chelsea ou Real Madrid, but I simply cannot believe that we cannot purchase players in a wise and rational way... will Gila be our last purchase ever?!?

Brasileiro
13-01-2006, 17:47
Unfortunatelly it the seems that we can only sign veterans on free transfers... ****, we persist in behave like a poor side, that's untolerable! I'm not saying that we need to splash money in a crazy way like Chelsea ou Real Madrid, but I simply cannot believe that we cannot purchase players in a wise and rational way... will Gila be our last purchase ever?!?
I´m all for Oddo right now...but my first choice for long term is Daniel Alves of Sevilla. But the sad thing is that I read in As that Daniel is a almost Barça player. But, who knows?? However, I will be very happy with Oddo right now.
I have a feeling that Milan will spend (big)money in a defender next season, like they did w/ Gilardino...and after watch Alex(PSV) saying that if he have to leave PSV, he wants to play for Milan...and Carlo praising(sp?) Alex. IMO(or dream) Milan will buy him for next season...and I hope that a free(and good) player like Gallas(thta can play in two positions) don´t go to other club...

SANT
13-01-2006, 18:37
It'd be somewhat "dangerous" to bring even more brazilians... they're good players,
but I fear that an isolated group could come up... meaning all the brazilians on one side, and the rest on the other...

Milan needs some quality Italian additions, to conserve the essence...

GRE-NO-LI
13-01-2006, 19:17
Oddo, Lugano, Alex, Cris, Gallas... we have plenty of good options.

mk18
13-01-2006, 19:25
i hope this wasnt written after you agreed that u need to stop being so negative.. please try to sound less pessimistic, discard this post if you read my replies on other posts please :)

SANT
13-01-2006, 20:52
i like sagnol and zanetti as well but zanetti these past few years isnt as good as oddo IMO, sagnol i think is a good RB but its pointless to dicuss him since he just resigned with bayern...

mk18, please don't tell me you mean Javier Zanetti, the captain of Inter????? :1avs:

K77SH C
13-01-2006, 22:26
I would say the following players are better than Oddo aswel. Ravilliere, Belletti, Salgado, Lauren, Mancini, Alves, Miguel.

GRE-NO-LI
14-01-2006, 07:59
Belleti better than Oddo? I strongly disagree, Belleti is awful!

hitmannq8
14-01-2006, 09:39
Brasiliero: what is going on with Alex? i remember 2 months ago we were always linked with him, now he simply disappeared.. the same with Kompany..we dont get linked with these 2 any more..expect us to be linked with Chivu more often after this statement from Galliani today:

“We think that there is nobody available on the January market who can improve on our back line,” explained the transfer guru. “We are interested in Cristian Chivu, but have never negotiated with Roma for him. As for Christian Abbiati, he is a Milan player and will return here once his loan spell with Juventus is up.” -- from channel4

i think you should forget of us gettin daniel alves because he is very close to being a barca player, and above that we have not been linked with him at all and i dont think we will be looking at him :/

GRE-NO-LI
14-01-2006, 12:31
I guess that Chivu and Lugano are the moment the names more strongly linked with us. Both are excellent players, and certainly can bee great additions to our squad on june.

Brasileiro
14-01-2006, 14:28
Brasiliero: what is going on with Alex? i remember 2 months ago we were always linked with him, now he simply disappeared.. the same with Kompany..we dont get linked with these 2 any more..expect us to be linked with Chivu more often after this statement from Galliani today:

“We think that there is nobody available on the January market who can improve on our back line,” explained the transfer guru. “We are interested in Cristian Chivu, but have never negotiated with Roma for him. As for Christian Abbiati, he is a Milan player and will return here once his loan spell with Juventus is up.” -- from channel4

i think you should forget of us gettin daniel alves because he is very close to being a barca player, and above that we have not been linked with him at all and i dont think we will be looking at him :/
hitmanq8, you´re right. Our link with Alex and Kompany int the press disappeared...but I remember that last year the same thing happened with Gilardino. IMO, Galliani(and Milan) play the "right game" in tranfers market. I don´t know if i can explain(my english), but I will try. We never show to much interest(only little compliments) in an player before the end of the season. We always arrive and buy the player of a time(like in Gila case). Every time that I saw an player strong linked with Milan at this time of the year, I doubt its transference.
Since all the world know that the Milan(Berlusconi) has much money, It´s wise not to show much interest in a player at this time of the year, for not to increase its price.
As I said in other post, maybe is just my dream, but after to see Alex saying that if he have to leave PSV, he wants to play for Milan. And Carlo saying(after CL 2 games against PSV last year ) that Alex is the most strong and scary defender that he saw. I bet that the Milan will go to make a proposal for Alex next year.
About Daniel you are completely right...I was only dreaming :D

Brasileiro
14-01-2006, 15:14

One more thing, hitmannq8. This quote of Galliani just show in the ones between lines, that the player(s)that Milan to want, can not be bought now(besides Chivu).
It´s just show that the Names of Alex, Cris(I hope not), Gallas that still are in the CL(and can not play for Milan this year) are the ones that can be boughts next year...

hitmannq8
14-01-2006, 15:36
what about Lugano? isnt he available now? didnt the South American leagues finish their seasons yet?

Gallas seems to have his mind set on Juve, and Sagnol's case is wierd, i dont really know what is going on with him. Why do I have a feeling we will get Ballack next summer?

How good is Reveilliere? I havent really seen him yet, but ive heard good things of him

Brasileiro
14-01-2006, 15:47
what about Lugano? isnt he available now? didnt the South American leagues finish their seasons yet?

Gallas seems to have his mind set on Juve, and Sagnol's case is wierd, i dont really know what is going on with him. Why do I have a feeling we will get Ballack next summer?

How good is Reveilliere? I havent really seen him yet, but ive heard good things of him
First, IMO Lugano is a very good defender, but not a world class. However, he would be an excellent pick up for our defence. Maybe after Amoroso, Milan don´t want to create any animosity with São Paulo, and turn down an Lugano transference.
I just saw Reveilliere to play three times. Against Real Madrid he was very good, but in the others two games tha I saw, he was average. However, as I said , I just saw the guy to play 3 times...

zlatanov
14-01-2006, 16:57
First, IMO Lugano is a very good defender, but not a world class. However, he would be an excellent pick up for our defence. Maybe after Amoroso, Milan don´t want to create any animosity with São Paulo, and turn down an Lugano transference.
Agree on this. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Lugano coming into the first team as things are right now. IMO he is a very good defender but has still a lot to see and learn before he could be considered Milan 1st team material. Furthermore, he is yet to experience living and playing in Italy and Europe and only after that we would know better. The good thing about him is that he is relatively young, 24 I think, so time is on his side to turn that potential of his into actual quality on the field.
As for Cris from Lyon, I have been wathcing the guy for quite some time and all I can say is that he is one rock, I mean hard-rock, solid defender with a style very similar to that of John Terry. Some time ago I was a bit worried by those rumours of Milan following Cris, but now after a bit more carefully observing him I would be happy if we could bring him in. Other must follow and have choices are Gallas, Alex, and maybe also Chivu, who however wont come cheap, apart from that he is definitely one of the best defenders available out there.

GRE-NO-LI
14-01-2006, 21:38
Hmmmm.... I be to disagree: I think that Lugano is an excellent CB, gifted with all the qualities required by the position.

Brasileiro
14-01-2006, 23:23
Agree on this. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Lugano coming into the first team as things are right now. IMO he is a very good defender but has still a lot to see and learn before he could be considered Milan 1st team material. Furthermore, he is yet to experience living and playing in Italy and Europe and only after that we would know better. The good thing about him is that he is relatively young, 24 I think, so time is on his side to turn that potential of his into actual quality on the field.
As for Cris from Lyon, I have been wathcing the guy for quite some time and all I can say is that he is one rock, I mean hard-rock, solid defender with a style very similar to that of John Terry. Some time ago I was a bit worried by those rumours of Milan following Cris, but now after a bit more carefully observing him I would be happy if we could bring him in. Other must follow and have choices are Gallas, Alex, and maybe also Chivu, who however wont come cheap, apart from that he is definitely one of the best defenders available out there.
zlatanov, I go to explain my fear in Cris. I watch Cris to play since that it came of the Corinthians youth team to the pro....and I can say to tou, he was awful(sp?)!!!! Very dirt, crazy and made a lot of flaws. As I wrote in another post, to be fair, Cris is playing great in Lyon. But, when I remember the Cris that I saw playing in B. Leverkusen and Corinthians...man, this guy was a mess.
Maybe I am being unfair, and he´s that type of player that delay to mature, and right now we are seeing the real Cris. It´s just that I don´t trust Cris...

zlatanov
14-01-2006, 23:37
zlatanov, I go to explain my fear in Cris. I watch Cris to play since that it came of the Corinthians youth team to the pro....and I can say to tou, he was awful(sp?)!!!! Very dirt, crazy and made a lot of flaws. As I wrote in another post, to be fair, Cris is playing great in Lyon. But, when I remember the Cris that I saw playing in B. Leverkusen and Corinthians...man, this guy was a mess.
Maybe I am being unfair, and he´s that type of player that delay to mature, and right now we are seeing the real Cris. It´s just that I don´t trust Cris...
I think you are being very unfair to him for, with age, players evolve and revolve both as professionals and persoanlity. That's exactly why an experienced defender/player is so often prefered over a hot-headed youngster, whose brain is still in his balls, so to speak. We could probably sit here till tomorrow just naming the players who were like the Cris from Corinthians and Leverkusen but with time and experience matured into the Cris from Lyon. And as I watch him now, I honestly don't see even a trace of those old bad traits in his character that you mentioned.