My Best 3 Films Of 2008 So Far

1-Alvin And The Chipmunks {FAMILY MOVIE}
2- HITMAN {REAL NICE }
3-Boogeyman 2 **+18}
-k.R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 12:06   #932
Giovanni

Fave Players: Gli Immortali/ Gli Invincibili/ I Meravigliosi
Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
I just want to praise the works of a true genious: Lars Von Trier.

The 52 years old danish director makes wonderful and challenging movies you will watch several and several times.

The "USA: Land of opportunities" trilogy started with

1) Dogville (2003)

and continued with

2) Manderlay (2005)

These two movies have been taken into my Philosophy of Law program by my lecturers as a starting point to reason around "Liberty and Justice", around the relationship between Dogville (or the City of Men) and Godville (or the City of God, one of the biggest subjects in medioeval philosophy in masterpieces such as Saint Augustine's Civitate Dei ).

The second movie criticises the idea of "democracy exportation" and it shows how good intentions (or bad) can lead to a disaster. It will make you think a lot, and it's perfect to start a debate on political or moral subjects.

I won't bother you anymore. Just alert you that the movie style is very particular. Lars Von Trier founded the Dogma 95 movement, which is meant to take cinematography back to its essence. Therefore the movies are often shot with steadycams, with almost no score or effects and are just based of powerful and fantastically written scripts and great performances from perfect actors.

Last edited by Giovanni; 15-03-2008 at 12:10.
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 10:33   #933
Graeme C

Fave Players: Boban, Van Basten, Kaka
Graeme C is on a distinguished road
I saw the Bank job the other day, quite good consider its based on a true story. Very much a guys film with topless girls and ganster violence. But if u like Jason Statham its very good.

Yesterday i bought Transporter 1 & 2 on dvd, there always good!
Old 16-03-2008, 11:29   #934
Jim_UK

Jim_UK is on a distinguished road
I saw Vantage Point ... it's average at best.

The crux of the film is seeing the same event through many different character's point of view. Except that after so long it 'rewinds' back to the origin point, this bit gets a bit tiresome after 4 or 5 times

Dukes of Hazzard was on tv last night, that film is a great 'trash' movie. Cars, fights, girls, comedy and Jessica Simpson, what more could you want?
Old 16-03-2008, 12:54   #935
Giovanni

Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
Requiem for a dream (2000) by Darren Aronofsky:

A movie about drugs and addiction to pills and diets. An allucinating movie who's editing is simply out of this world (2000 cuts against 600- 700 cuts on average for most movies); whose score is magnificent (Clint Mansell) and its oniric main theme also very very famous. Whose cast is first class: Jennifer Connelly, Ellen Burstyn (missing the Oscar for her performance in this movie was a travesty of justice) and Jered Leto.

It's an allucinating movie about drug addiction, and watching it you will understand what i mean with "allucinating". Aronofsky simply takes us into the first person sight of the heroin junkies, or into the MDMA experience, showing what an high person feel. It's an incredible achievement for a director.

The story is simple, but reserves a few surprises. I won't spoil the fun.

It's one of the most powerful movies i've ever seen and it shocks you like a Mike Tyson punch of the face. A must movie, which is already a cult.

Last edited by Giovanni; 16-03-2008 at 12:57.
Old 16-03-2008, 16:36   #936
Giovanni

Here the epic main theme for the movie "Requiem for a dream" by Clint Mansell and the Kronos Quartet : Lux Aeterna . If a music can describe life, here you get one of the few ones that achieved such goal in all history of composition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Ma4BvMUwU

Here the Tribute to 50 Years of Foreign Language Film Award Winners. A must see for every film lovers, made by director Giuseppe Tornatore for the 2007 Oscar edition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvLQhIZdVxc

Last edited by Giovanni; 16-03-2008 at 17:02.
Old 19-03-2008, 07:39   #937
Giovanni

Today is a sad day: i heard the 56 y o great director Anthony Minghella prematurely passed away yesterday.

His movie legacy is unvaluable: his great movies are essentially 3

1) The English Patient

2) The talent of Mr. Ripley

3) Return to Cold Mountain

I suggest movie lovers to watch them, they are brilliant movies. My favourite ones are the last two.

RIP
Old 19-03-2008, 10:33   #938
Jim_UK

His latest film will be shown on BBC 1 on Easter Sunday, it's a film adaptation of the best selling book "The number 1 ladies detective agency".
Old 19-03-2008, 19:13   #939
Giovanni

Incredible! I thought Minghella was one of the most gifted directors of the "young" generation... What a loss. I'm absolutely gutted.
Old 22-03-2008, 11:50   #940
Milan4eva

Fave Players: Batistuta, Ortega, Maldini, Irwin, Maradonna, Garr
Milan4eva is an unknown quantity at this point
Just happened to pop by this thread after a few good years. Anyway I've seen a few really good movies in the past few months that have made it into my favourites. They're all old movies though. The first was Antwone Fischer, a show I oddly seem to be able to relate to. Then there's The Shawshank Redemption (k I know this one's famous). And most recently, King of New York. This is the best of the lot. I can't believe I've been a fan of rap so long and only just managed to catch this movie. This is such a great movie I swear... Anyways for 07 shows, I liked Pirates 3, I Am Legend and Rocky Balboa, just off the top of my head.
Milan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 19:42   #941
Nalx

Fave Players: San Marco, Billy, Patinho
Nalx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_UK
I saw Vantage Point ... it's average at best.

The crux of the film is seeing the same event through many different character's point of view. Except that after so long it 'rewinds' back to the origin point, this bit gets a bit tiresome after 4 or 5 times
Agreed. Just watched it last night. The film duration is about one and a half hour but without the 'rewinds' it could finish less than an hour.

Very much like a football match isn't it?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:28   #942
mzk57

Fave Players: DM10 PM3 AN13 JZ4 GB9 FL8 PN11 WS10 DV7 JDT & KJH
mzk57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is BBC showing any serial of "Jack the Ripper" these days?

"WHY so serious?....." Let's put a SMILE on that face! "
mzk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 15:43   #943
Giovanni

I've just seen the Danish tv serial "Riget" internationally known as "The kingdom I" (1994). Has any of our danish friends or others watched it? It's from master Lars von Trier...one of my idols.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:22   #944
Jim_UK

I saw Iron Man on Friday and it's ace!

This is the first film Marvel have had full control over and if this is the result then they should assume full control over all of their comic book/film franchises from now on. It has a more grown up attitude to it and isn't over the top or too 'fantasy', it's just the right blend of 'believableness'

Robert Downey Jnr is great as Tony Stark and Jeff Bridges looks quite imposing as Obidiah. Overall a very enjoyable film.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:31   #945
t.gianni

t.gianni is on a distinguished road
Wait for the credits to get over, Sammy J will make an appearance as Nick Fury. He is the coolest dude I have ever seen.
t.gianni is offline   Reply With Quote