AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > COMMUNITY > Members Lounge

Notices

Old 24-11-2004, 11:32   #391
Stezagud

Fave Players: Keano (ret), Rooney, Maldini
Stezagud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If its true about someone writing who Keyser Soze is, then that person makes me sick. I mean, as an avid film fan, moments like the end of Usual Suspects go down as great moments in film history and what that person did was just ruin the classic moment
im sure i daw it on the dvd but i cant find mine i think my sisters boyfriend has it i agree though, whoever did it has to be wrong in the head.

Quote:
Now both of ya'll are just spoiling it even more!!!
were not saying what exactly happens, only that it is a classic event
Old 25-11-2004, 02:43   #392
Milan4eva

Fave Players: Batistuta, Ortega, Maldini, Irwin, Maradonna, Garr
Milan4eva is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I know .
Milan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 20:29   #393
ACMILAN1983

Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
I just saw the American version of Ring.

Well, I knew no matter how hard I'd try not to, I would always compare it to the Japanese version, so to make sure I didn't make it an unfair comparison, I watched it in a similar way I watched the first. When I saw the first, it was VERY late, I was alone in the dark and listening to it through the headphones, very loudly. This time, I again was in the dark, alone and seeing as it was a little earlier, I just turned up the speakers quite loud.

Now, I want to start off by saying the American version is a fun watch, but it doesn't hold up to the original (I would say that was one of the scariest films ever). Basically, the Japanese version was darker visually, the sounds played a huge part to say the least (most who have seen it will always remember the sound of screeching metal) and the whole film felt very claustrophobic due to the director's work. The American version didn't have these elements as much and so the overall impact was diminished. I also thought the Japanese version had more interesting characters, as the characters were far more "creepy" than in the American one. For example, the young boy in each film was done in different ways. Whilst in the American version the boy speaks quite a lot in a strange way, the Japanese version had the boy hardly say a word, but he spoke normally. Personally, I found the Japanese boy far more intense and "creepy" than the American boy.

As for the video in the two version...well...I'll just say I found the video in the American version kind of lame to be honest, whilst I found the Japanese version to be genuinely creepy.

simply put, if you don't like to be scared and scare easily, don't watch the Japanese version. Although I can't say I got scared by it, it is still VERY scary and one of the most scariest films I've seen. The reason I didn't get scared is most likely because I'm quite desensitised and I can't remember the last time I saw something that got me really spooked, so don't think that just because I say I wasn't scared means that it isn't scary. However, if like me, you like a top class psychological horror, then look no further than this.

If you want something that doesn't have such a great impact but is a decent watch, then I recommend the American version. I can't imagine anyone finding it particularly scary and personally I found myself laughing through a couple of scenes (ie the scene where the horse jumps off the boat, sorry to horse lovers, but it was hilarious).
ACMILAN1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 23:06   #394
Milan4eva

I just hate those movies where they just try so hard to psychologically scare you and put in a plot with no head or tail like Ju-On 2 and Three. These movies are obviously banking on the fact that Asian movies have always been to the more psychological side to help them through. We are so past that already and it's sad cuz now it's hard to find an Asian horror movie which really scares genuinely and at the same time makes you enjoy the plot. It's like the just hastily cut and past together all the scary parts, making sure there's enough builup to the climax, then BAM. It's like everything's going fine then all of a sudden there's a spooky ghost with cool makeup that comes out with spooky sounds, without even introducing the story properly, nor finishing it off well.

And speaking of horror shows look out for Shutter, a Thai show. I haven't seen it yet myself but it's got good reviews from others so I thought it might be worth taking a look at. Also the thriller Saw. This should be out in the west by now so those who've seen it please give comments.
Old 27-11-2004, 06:56   #395
ACMILAN1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan4eva
I just hate those movies where they just try so hard to psychologically scare you and put in a plot with no head or tail like Ju-On 2 and Three. These movies are obviously banking on the fact that Asian movies have always been to the more psychological side to help them through. We are so past that already and it's sad cuz now it's hard to find an Asian horror movie which really scares genuinely and at the same time makes you enjoy the plot. It's like the just hastily cut and past together all the scary parts, making sure there's enough builup to the climax, then BAM. It's like everything's going fine then all of a sudden there's a spooky ghost with cool makeup that comes out with spooky sounds, without even introducing the story properly, nor finishing it off well.

And speaking of horror shows look out for Shutter, a Thai show. I haven't seen it yet myself but it's got good reviews from others so I thought it might be worth taking a look at. Also the thriller Saw. This should be out in the west by now so those who've seen it please give comments.

I don't know shutter or saw, but I agree with you about asian horror movies banking in.
Old 27-11-2004, 07:42   #396
Giovanni

Fave Players: Gli Immortali/ Gli Invincibili/ I Meravigliosi
Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
I'd like to purchase the original dvd of the japanese version..but i haven't already understood how many installments/series are around

Was it a tv serie? Is the movie you're talking about a movie or just a tv one?
Plz enlighten me
Old 27-11-2004, 10:50   #397
ACMILAN1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni
I'd like to purchase the original dvd of the japanese version..but i haven't already understood how many installments/series are around

Was it a tv serie? Is the movie you're talking about a movie or just a tv one?
Plz enlighten me
errm...if its Ring your talking about then its a series of films.

Basically, theres Ring, Ring 2 and Ring 0 (a prequel). Then of course, theres the American remake of Ring, while the American Ring 2 is being made now and its gonna be directed by Hideo Nakata (the director of the Japanese Ring and Ring 2).

hope this helps
Old 27-11-2004, 11:09   #398
Angel_Cic

Fave Players: Kaka' & Ronaldinho
Angel_Cic is on a distinguished road
i watched alexander last night!!!!!!!!! i was kind of disappointed that there were only 2-3 battle scenes and some scenes were too long. the little kid who played alexander was adorable...but for some reason i couldn't picture collin ferrel as him. none of the actors looked greek or macedonian which kind of ruined it overall...good movie, fun times.
Old 27-11-2004, 11:14   #399
ACMILAN1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Cic
i watched alexander last night!!!!!!!!! i was kind of disappointed that there were only 2-3 battle scenes and some scenes were too long. the little kid who played alexander was adorable...but for some reason i couldn't picture collin ferrel as him. none of the actors looked greek or macedonian which kind of ruined it overall...good movie, fun times.
seems ok. Based on what you said in the other thread about high expectations, I should be in a pretty good frame of mind to watch it, as I have no expectations
Old 27-11-2004, 12:52   #400
Milan4eva

Btw, there's nothing wrong with comparing similar things. Be it in soccer, or whatever prespective in life. I like comparing things to see where they stand. I don't know why people act like it's some unwritten law not to compare things like it's a crime.
Old 27-11-2004, 14:07   #401
Giovanni

Fave Players: Gli Immortali/ Gli Invincibili/ I Meravigliosi
Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMILAN1983
errm...if its Ring your talking about then its a series of films.

Basically, theres Ring, Ring 2 and Ring 0 (a prequel). Then of course, theres the American remake of Ring, while the American Ring 2 is being made now and its gonna be directed by Hideo Nakata (the director of the Japanese Ring and Ring 2).

hope this helps
it do helps

so basically letting apart the american which was a good one,i'd like to know about the japanese series

which is the best? are all of them good?
I want to buy them if you tell me they are horror masterpieces, actually i've heard about 'em before..

c'mon mate, you have a good taste for movies , i trust you, tell me
Old 27-11-2004, 17:38   #402
mk18
BANNED!

Fave Players: maldini, sheva, baggio, weah, mvb, cruyff
mk18 is on a distinguished road
saw starsky and hutch yesterday, was dissapointed, it was kinda cheezy and the part where the old S&H was uncalled for, carmen electra was hot however, thats gotta change the ratings!!
mk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2004, 20:05   #403
ACMILAN1983

I agree that Starsky and Hutch was disappointing.

just saw the anime End of Evangelion for the third or fourth time (not including commentaries about it). Now, how to describe it...errrm....thats incredibly tough

Well, Neon Genesis Evangelion was a hit tv series (anime one) in Japan and was critically aclaimed for its incredible plot, characters and depth. Now, the ending (as with pretty much the rest of the anime, but especially the ending) was massively controversial, leaving many puzzled and confused. This resulted in a massive outcry and even death threats were sent to the creator.

Due to unknown reasons (many think its because of the reasons I've stated, but others disagree), two films were made. One was called Death and Rebirth (a re-accountance to the events in the series and part of the second film) and the other End of Evangelion.

Now, its said that End of Evangelion is an alternate ending to the show, but its also said it was made to compliment the end of the series (I personally believe this to be the case). However, so much controversy (its probably one of the most controversial shows in history) surrounds this, its near impossible to work out the truth as to what happened.

Now, onto the show itself. Well...errrm...I've seen the series at least two or three times and the movies each three to four times and on top of this I've seen commentaries and read a number of essays written about the show and I still can't give a true explanation as to what its about. This isn't to say I don't understand it, but more of a case of I have my own opinions and ideas and everyone else who watches the show and films have their own and really, it seems there aren't two matching interpretations of the show.

What I will say is this is DEFINATELY one of the greatest shows and film series' I've ever seen. I recommend it to anyone and everyone, but a few warnings must be given. Firstly, it is NOT for kids, as some of the content is unsuitable. Secondly, if you are easily offended, it is very likely this show will offend you. Thirdly, it can become VERY depressing watching the show, so be warned. Lastly, this show is HORRIBLY complex and in fact, it is definately the most complex thing I've seen and believe me, I like to watch complex things.

Simply put, the show is a MUST SEE imo.

To end, I will say one final point about the controversy. Apparently, after watching the show, some teen in Japan decided he needed to kill everyone in the world and to start off, he killed his mother. Now, I want to point out that this argument was used in his defensive strategy in court, but personally, I think its total BS.

sorry for the long post, but as you probably guessed, I love this show and I would be surprised if no one on the forum knows it.

Ps - forgot to mention, a film series (live action) is apparently being made based on the show and apparently, WETA, who did special effects for Lord of the Rings will do the effects for this as well.

Last edited by ACMILAN1983; 27-11-2004 at 20:09.
Old 27-11-2004, 23:39   #404
Milan4eva

I think I've heard about it, from someone who's crazy about anime. I'm not a fan myself. Have never come across them on TV and have never bothered to download them. But what you're saying is kinda interesting. I will lookout for that. But there seem to be many versions and I'm kinda confused
Old 28-11-2004, 07:49   #405
ACMILAN1983

Right, I ought to clear up a little about Evangelion.

There is the tv series (26 episodes) and the MUST be watched before anything else as otherwise you can't understand the films.

Then there is the first film Death and Rebirth. It just mainly goes over the events of the series and shows the first part of End of Evangelion, so it doesn't necessarily need to be seen.

The second film was End of Evangelion which can be considered an alternative to the last two episodes of the series or a compliment to them. Watch the series before seeing this.

Finally, there will be the live action films. They only really announced it and showed some concept art, so no point in worrying too much about it at this point.

Hope this clears things up a bit. Simply put, the order to see them in is Tv series, Death and Rebirth (if you want) and finally End of Evangelion.