AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 11:19   #1
Elmago99

Fave Players: Nesta, Pippo, Ibra, Rino, Maldini, Tevez, Drogba
Elmago99 is on a distinguished road
2010 FIFA Ballon D'or & 2010 FIFA World Player of Year

Mourinho came out today and said it was a sham, Xavi, Milito, or Sneijder should have won. I tend to agree. I don't like Inter for many reasons, but I'm also not a blind idiot. Milito and Sneijder did very well last year, and I would have considered them, for the award. In fact, I probably would have given it to Sneijder, based off of his performances for Club and National Team.

I think the award should be given to a player based off of a particular season, not a calender year. I'm not sure how it works now, but it doesn't make sense. The award should be given out in September, based off of 1 Full Season and if it's a World Cup Year.

Messi in 2009-2010 had 49 Goals in 64 Total Appearances. He also had 11 Assists, helped Barcelona to another La Liga Trophy, and made the Semis in the Champions League, losing to Inter. He was a major disappointment in the World Cup though, which should have hurt him.

Sneijder in 2009-2010 had 9 Goals, 12 Assists in 45 Appearances. He was the backbone of both Club and National Teams; Inter obviously won Champions League beating Barca and Bayern in Final. Then, rode the Netherlands to the Finals of the World Cup losing to Spain. He was very important pieces of both teams who overachieved last season.

Milito in 2009-2010 had 36 Goals and 6 Assists in 58 Appearances. He was instrumental in Inter's success to win Champions League scoring 6 times and twice in the Final. However, he did not play much for Maradona's Argentina.

Xavi in 2009-2010 had 6 Goals and 19 Assists in 62 Appearances. He started out the year winning the Club World Cup, again won the Spanish Liga, made the Semi-Finals of Champions league losing to eventual champion, and obviously won the World Cup as the Starting CM. Much of what he does is not recorded in stats, but he obviously is a fantastic player.

Lastly, Andres Iniesta in 2009-2010 had 1 Goal and 7 Assists in 46 Appearances. However, he scored 2 Goals in the World Cup and 1 being in the Final, winning it for Spain for the first time in the History of the tournament. He's another player like Xavi that helps Barcelona tick, and does it sometimes unnoticed.
Elmago99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:12   #2
Aficio

Fave Players: Maradona & Paolo Maldini
Aficio is on a distinguished road
Mourinho just wants to disturb Barcelona and say something good about his old club, IMO.
Aficio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 16:05   #3
patos older bro

Fave Players: ibra pato pirlo
patos older bro is on a distinguished road
it wasent inter who won though was it.it was mourinho but it wasent yes he played his part.but it was sneijder and milito and co the whole voteing is biast. imagine if these two played in any premier league team or barca or real madrid i bet both of them wud be in the final three.and am no inter fan
patos older bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 18:06   #4
Ceceves

Ceceves is on a distinguished road
It's true the award really should be handed out between seasons (around August), and people (jounalists, fans and so-called experts) tend to look only at what trofees the players win in the middle of the year.

As the award is an individual award I think Messi is the right winner. Noone has come close to doing what he's done in 2010, and although you could say he didn't deliver in some important matches (the semis against Inter, and the WC game against Germany), consider the extreme defensive nature of Inter's game-plan and the even more extreme ineptitude of Maradona's tactics. No players get as heavily marked as Messi, and no coach in his right mind would have him playing as a deep-lying playmaker!

Anyway if the award was for last season (09-10) it would be hard to look past Sneijder and Milito. But Sneijder has been very average this season and Milito has sucked big-time.

Regarding FIFA's alledged bias: It was journalists and national team managers and captains who voted, so although FIFA left out Milito from the ballot - which is an absolute disgrace, no doubt - it was the voters who left out Sneijder from the final 3.

Also notice how in Spain they're now taking Messi winning the award as "another example of FIFA's anti-Spanish bias"...

So FIFA are anti-Spanish, anti-Italian (for snubbing Italy-based players - esp. Milito and Sneijder) and of course anti-English (because Blatter supported Cronaldo going to Madrid or whatever...). Bias is when people don't agree with you, right?

Last edited by Ceceves; 11-01-2011 at 18:10.
Ceceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 20:07   #5
Xudong

Xudong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceceves View Post
It's true the award really should be handed out between seasons (around August), and people (jounalists, fans and so-called experts) tend to look only at what trofees the players win in the middle of the year.

As the award is an individual award I think Messi is the right winner. Noone has come close to doing what he's done in 2010, and although you could say he didn't deliver in some important matches (the semis against Inter, and the WC game against Germany), consider the extreme defensive nature of Inter's game-plan and the even more extreme ineptitude of Maradona's tactics. No players get as heavily marked as Messi, and no coach in his right mind would have him playing as a deep-lying playmaker!

Anyway if the award was for last season (09-10) it would be hard to look past Sneijder and Milito. But Sneijder has been very average this season and Milito has sucked big-time.

Regarding FIFA's alledged bias: It was journalists and national team managers and captains who voted, so although FIFA left out Milito from the ballot - which is an absolute disgrace, no doubt - it was the voters who left out Sneijder from the final 3.

Also notice how in Spain they're now taking Messi winning the award as "another example of FIFA's anti-Spanish bias"...

So FIFA are anti-Spanish, anti-Italian (for snubbing Italy-based players - esp. Milito and Sneijder) and of course anti-English (because Blatter supported Cronaldo going to Madrid or whatever...). Bias is when people don't agree with you, right?
You got it, my friend.

Back on topic, I am just happy that merda players didn't win it this time. This was their best year. I can't believe that Sneijder wasn't even in top 3. What the hell.
Old 13-01-2011, 01:54   #6
mzk57

Fave Players: DM10 PM3 AN13 JZ4 GB9 FL8 PN11 WS10 DV7 JDT & KJH
mzk57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

If for a single second any one thinks that Wesley Sneijder isn't the best player of last season, then he/she is NOT a football fan & its as simple as that. This new bull**** called Fifa Ballon D'or is a disgrace to the name of football. I really like Messi, but its just not fair
1- Sneijder
2- Messi
3- Milito
4- Xavi/Villa
5- Zanetti/Forlan/BAstian-S

"WHY so serious?....." Let's put a SMILE on that face! "

Last edited by mzk57; 13-01-2011 at 01:57.
mzk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 03:03   #7
ACMILAN1983

Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
Ballon D'Or these days to me seems nothing more than a mickey mouse popularity contest. Messi winning it again doesn't bother me, but then to not even consider Milito given what he achieved in 2010 is simply ridiculous.
ACMILAN1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:17   #8
Kaka1899

Fave Players: Kaką, Andrea Pirlo and Paolo Maldini
Kaka1899 is on a distinguished road
lol Yepes has admitted he voted for Xabi (alonso) then relising he meant Xavi!

San Paolo 600 Serie A Appearances Living Legend Grazie Paolo!

Heroes Are Remembered
Legends Live Forever
San Paolo
Kaka1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:02   #9
jovola

Fave Players: Pippo
jovola is on a distinguished road
Maybe they put it on the end of year because of other continents though all the players in it play i Europe
Old 13-01-2011, 17:57   #10
Siregar

Fave Players: Marco Ezio FOSSATI & Simone Andrea GANZ
Siregar is on a distinguished road
Weird that Messi wins it. He didn't get anything last year. Couldn't help Barca win against Inter when Iniesta was out and totally crap (seeing his ability with Barca) with Argentine. How can a player like that win the best player in this planet? However I also don't agree if Sneider since Maurinho (with his super duper defensive tactic) won it for Inter (without disrespecting contribution of his players.

For me it should be Iniesta.

If Tassotti, Baresi, Costacurta and I are going to have a coffee now, we would put us in line and keeping the space unintentionally.
Siregar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 18:11   #11
Mystik

Fave Players: Kaka, Pato, Messi, Iniesta, Nesta, Gourcuff, Cesc
Mystik is on a distinguished road
If the Ballon D'or is supposed to be an award for the best player of the year then even if Messi won NOTHING in 2010, I'd say he still deserved the award just for his sheer consistent brilliance all year round. The only other player I'd even consider giving the award to was Xavi because Iniesta was injured a lot at the beginning of 2010 and missed a fair number of games. However, given all what Messi accomplished (equalling Ronaldo's record of goals when not even playing as a real striker) not to mention the bucketloads of assists and the way he raises Barcelona's game, I have no objections to him winning the trophy.
Mystik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 18:18   #12
Siregar

I disagree with Mystik about Messi. A player who deserves to be called best player from other player is a player who is not only able to show best performance but also deliver silverware IMO. Great action without result is not enough. Both should be possessed by a player who wants to be best of the best.

About Iniesta I could agree due to his injuries.

If Tassotti, Baresi, Costacurta and I are going to have a coffee now, we would put us in line and keeping the space unintentionally.
Old 13-01-2011, 18:54   #13
Mystik

Fave Players: Kaka, Pato, Messi, Iniesta, Nesta, Gourcuff, Cesc
Mystik is on a distinguished road
We're going to have to agree to disagree here Siregar. I believe that winning silverware is more a function of the team you're a part of and luck in the case of knockout competitions. However, over the course of an entire year the best player should be crowned the best based on his performances over the entire year. If you have one bad game in the final and lose I don't believe that should be the determining factor of your entire year, especially if you had an amazing year. You say great action without result is not enough but if as a forward you score 47 goals, yet your defense can't keep you in the game, the forward should be punished?

One example I can use is Diego Forlan who was clearly the player of the World Cup 2010..although his team didn't win anything.
Mystik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 19:06   #14
Siregar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystik View Post
We're going to have to agree to disagree here Siregar. I believe that winning silverware is more a function of the team you're a part of and luck in the case of knockout competitions. However, over the course of an entire year the best player should be crowned the best based on his performances over the entire year. If you have one bad game in the final and lose I don't believe that should be the determining factor of your entire year, especially if you had an amazing year. You say great action without result is not enough but if as a forward you score 47 goals, yet your defense can't keep you in the game, the forward should be punished?

One example I can use is Diego Forlan who was clearly the player of the World Cup 2010..although his team didn't win anything.
Yes, from my point of view both example you gave can't be best players except the team who won it won the tittle without any player that deserves the term "best player of the competition", a player that have the first mentioned requirement in my post (best performance), a team like Inter last year (but in this case the credit goes to the coach).

For me, award of best of the best should be not only special but very special, that's why I consider also what the player achieve with his team (club and/or national team).

Btw why Ballon d'Or (spelling?) and FIFA player of the world is in one award? Ballon d'Or was used to more objective award than FIFA award.