Notes On A 4-1 Win Versus Galliani’s Monza

Milan 4-1 Monza
Diaz 16’ 41’ Origi 65’ Leao 84’ ~ F.Ranocchia 70’

Starting 11: Tatarusanu; Dest, Kjaer, Tomori, Theo; Bennacer, Pobega; Messias, Diaz, Rebic; Origi

It was Berlusconi and Galliani’s first encounter with Milan as owner and CEO of Monza, the CEO was in the stands along with others like Capello.

It was a changed team partially influenced by the very heavy schedule facing the team leading up to the Qatar World Cup. Kjaer was back to the starting 11 and Origi got his first Milan start. Rebic, Pobega, Dest also started with Tonali, Giroud and Leao on the bench for badly needed rest. Bennacer had a fever late in the week but had recovered to start. De Ketelaere had returned to the bench as well.

It was a relatively quiet first few minutes until Diaz received a Tatarusanu clearance and ran almost half the pitch and while falling had the strength and awareness to shoot the ball in. Monza woke up and gained some of the possession. Stefano Sensi tested Tatarusanu with a long shot in one of the better chances. Minutes later Tatarusanu made a good reflex save from Monza header. Origi with some good footwork shot just wide in the 33rd minute but it was Monza that had reacted better to the Milan goal.

Diaz doubled Milan’s lead. Origi had been roaming on the right, he beat the defender and crossed to Diaz. The Spanish turned and beat Michele Di Gregorio.

The half time score was therefore 2-0.

The second started with Kalulu replacing Dest. An early Rebic chance was saved. In yet more muscle injuries Diaz was forced off and replaced by De Ketelaere. Leao and Gabbia replaced Rebic and Kjaer too. Origi was showing a few glimpses of promise and he scored a screamer. Messias dribbled and got the ball to him and the Belgian shot empathically.

The shut out was broken when Filippo Ranocchia beat Tatarusanu directly from a very well taken free kick. Leao added to the score from a typical Theo assist soon after Vranckx had provided relief for Origi. Milan had further chances – notably a De Ketelaere miss kick – and Monza threatened on another two occasions.

The game ended with a much needed big score of 4-1.