AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: General Chat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I play DOTA a lot when it was just a map for Warcraft III, but I rarely play DOTA2. It doesn't bring me the same feeling or emotion.
Well Dota 2 is the world's largest e-sport. Last year's "The International", the tournament organized by Valve, had a prizepool over 10 million dollars !!

Dota Asian championship is beginning in a few days, with the prizepool of just over 2 mil $

I hate to admit it, but with the current state of Milan I often find myself watching Dota pro's playing competitive games, even when Milan games are on.

The game itself is very hard to learn. Over 100 heroes, each with at least 4 spells... gazillion rules, even more exceptions.

I've played Warcraft 3 dota vs bots for over a year before I dared to play online vs. other players Smile

One thing I love about it, once you've mastered it you can just find a match, play it and forget about it, and then play the next one when you find time.

As I've grown older I've lost patience for games in which you have to remember the story and the relations between characters. For example I've tried to play Mass Effect because everyone was telling me how great it is. I've logged 6-7 hours in it, then I had a busy period on work and I couldnt play at all for about a month or so. When I tried to play it again I had to restart because I could remember a damn thing about characters, who, what, with whom, blah blah.

Best of all, Dota 2 is a FREE game Smile
@Stitch: What you've said about DOTA2 is not much different than League of Legends, its rival Big Grin
I'm looking forward to Heroes of Storm by Blizzard, hope that will be a nice one.
Yeah, with the one VERY important difference - LoL being a pay to win game. In Dota - all the heroes are free from the beginning, while in LoL you have a certain number of free heroes that change every week. Sure, you can unlock other heroes just by playing with the free ones but that would take years. Or, of course, you can buy them with cash.
And if you've ever played any MOBA you know that its impossible to create a good synergy team with, say, 10 heroes to pick from.
Dota lives from microtransactions, players buying cosmetic stuff, hats, clothes for heroes and stuff from the store, but none of those items affects any of the hero abilities.

And then there is the fact that LoL is practicaly DOTA for kids. Here's an example why Smile

[Image: large.jpg]
I'm struggling to see much difference there Big Grin
@Stitch: not very neutral, mate Big Grin

Anyway, I don't play both. However, LOL (Riot) give more chances for youngsters who desire to go pro. There are about 20 teams where members can earn stable salary in my country.

And I think if you seriously support an eSport team, for example: NaVi, you also have good & bad time Big Grin
What does Riot do to "give chances" ? I don't follow LoL scene so I really dont know. In Dota Valve has nothing to do with it, any company can organize tournament and if the prizefund is large enough, big teams will compete for it.

Check this list, top e-sports earners in the world

http://www.esportsearnings.com/players

The first 8 are Dota, out of the first 20 earners 16 play Dota, best LoL player is at 53.

So if you aspire to live from gaming, there's really only one choice Wink

And yeah, how did you know I support Na'Vi Big Grin Well I supported them hard until my 2 favourite players left and started another team. Now I'm kinda torn Big Grin
Well, I think Riot cares more about the inferior regions so even the small teams have the chances to compete. If we take football as a reference, DOTA2 operates like Champion League where all the money and best players run into, while LOL is more like a fair FIFA which take care of even the smaller teams and poorer regions. So of course the best DOTA2 players earn a lot, but LOL gains good reputation in social relationship.

However, in this year many top Korean players are signed by Chinese team with nice salary (5 zeros) and they can also earn money from streaming and advertisement, so the ranking will change a lot.

About NaVi, I only guessed Big Grin And I think it is very difficult for an eSport team to remain at the top for a long time, so you must have a strong heart (you surely have, you are Milan supporter, any way Big Grin )
Yeah but is it really Riot or just the way scene evolved? I mean, does Riot pay smaller teams, or companies who sponsor them?

As for earning, Check out the sponsor list for some of the teams:

Na'Vi - Alienware, SteelSeries, Antec, Kingston HyperX, Kiev CyberSport, gamed!de
EG - Intel, Razer, Monster Energy, Kingston Technology, InWin ,Raid Call
Team Empire - Seagate, Razer, TwitchTV, Ultraplay

Some of the biggest name in IT industry. Not to mention solo-streams which reach well over 100.000 watchers for top players. So, I dont think the list would have changed very much if it included those numbers (and I'm not sure it doesnt include it in the first place Big Grin )

All of that aside, the main advantage of Dota over LoL, for me at least, is not being a buy to win game.

Teams also need sponsors, but Riot does a good job organizing a fine grain system.

Let's observe the top together this year, then Big Grin About lower level, LOL teams still earn OK, at least in my country.

Well, and the most important part is LOL is not really buy to win because you can get everything with time, and for enthusiastic youngsters, time is their money. I found this point quite funny because most of LOL players are the one without income. Big Grin