AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Summer Mercato 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Slifersd, I doubt your're the only one with that thought, even I'm hesitant the club will be prepared to spend that sort of money on him (or on our budget in general), which is why I said it isn't likely. That and Juve have first option, the hope would be Berardi is keen to follow Di Francesco.

Honestly, it comes down to what you're willing to pay for imo. Berardi is already familiar in Serie A and has played at a consistently high level for 3 years straight now. El Ghazi is doing good things in Holland for 2 years, but questions will be asked of how well he can adapt to Italy. 

My reason for wanting Berardi is also related to us looking likely to get Di Francesco as coach, who Berardi has thrived under. Moreso, Berardi's quite a hard worker, especially in comparison to El Ghazi, while I would say he's shown leadership qualities in both Sassuolo and the Italy youth sides. El Ghazi until now doesn't compare in this point, in fact with him there's been mostly doubts about his attitude.

Finally, Di Francesco recently said how smart Berardi is with his movements on and off the ball, his football intelligence is very high. From what I've seen of El Ghazi, he really doesn't compare here, in fact he'd have to grow a LOT in this regard to really succeed at a high level.

So while Berardi might cost more than double what El Ghazi does, I think with him you're getting a player that is quite a bit more developed and matured and offers far more guarantees.
@acmilan1983, wait why is Antonio Donnarumma in the squad? Is there some crazy rumor I missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think there was some report that Milan were thinking about bringing him from Genoa where he's the 3rd choice. But it was within a report that said it would be done to keep Gigi happy in Milan with all the interest. Not sure how believable it is but either way, it would be done for him to be our 3rd choice.
The good old Kaka-Digao arrangement, eh? I think it might be a good time for our management to actually start acting professionally and keep players happy by giving them an environment to achieve success instead of give free hand outs to their useless family members. These kinds of arrangements cannot and will not work out in the long term because we can't keep doing favors for every player on the team.
I actually think milanello is too comfortable, and for some it doesn't prepare them for match day pressure. So in a way - but not fully, if that makes sense - I disagree.
reza I agree and understand what you mean, even in milanello videos that I'd watch from time to time, you would see players in their training uniforms having espressos at the bar in milanello. Maybe it's a bad thing, maybe the friendly atmosphere is a good thing.

Overall, I think Galliani should step down or go, maybe leave him in the club doing something buhp. He's been messing up for years now, and even when he did do well maybe it was because he had bags of money to work with. Now, with the way things have changed we need people like Roma and Juve, someone who has a clear vision of modern football and gets creative and buys the right players. Even when we were a solid team who won the scudetto in 2011 with Ibra and all, Galliani was still making horrendous mistakes, we were a left-back and a midfielder away from being a CL competitive team, and he went out and got Taiwo,Mesbah,Traore, Aquilani to try and fill those gaps. I think the saga that made me the most nervous was definitely Muntari, but he was just one of so many players that needed to go a lot sooner than they did.
The Milanello atmosphere has always worked for in the past. But at the same time, you had Maldini and Gattuso and Ambrosini making sure it was not all fun. They worked hard and played hard.

Now. Who will keep it all in order. Miha just can't keep everyone in check. He has to maintain his distance from the players. He needs leaders in the dressing room. Abate is one and so is Abbiati but you need a cluster of serious guys, who know the value of the shirt and how they must work hard for it.

That is what we have been missing for many years. Guys like KPB and Balotelli are clowns instead. Then you have Prima Donna like Menez. Not particularly the most hard working locker room I'd say. It's no surprise that so many commentators and ex players say that the problem with Milan is one of mentality.

Juve win every year coz they know how to focus for all the 38 rounds. And they have a strong core of players who keep things in check.
(03-28-2016, 09:28 PM)PerSempre Wrote: [ -> ]@acmilan1983, wait why is Antonio Donnarumma in the squad? Is there some crazy rumor I missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As nefremo said, he's been linked to us to help keep Donnarumma.

(03-28-2016, 10:46 PM)slifersd Wrote: [ -> ]The good old Kaka-Digao arrangement, eh? I think it might be a good time for our management to actually start acting professionally and keep players happy by giving them an environment to achieve success instead of give free hand outs to their useless family members. These kinds of arrangements cannot and will not work out in the long term because we can't keep doing favors for every player on the team.

I don't think this is quite the same as Digao, though it would be similar. This one I'm willing to accept as Antonio is a Milan youth product, knows the club and is a big influence and Gigio's growth. Also, he's not a bad keeper, of Serie B starting level (or possibly low level Serie A), so as 3rd choice he'd be fine.

reza, I'm with somedevil about Milanello, it's not the facilities but the people within. We don't have the most professional group of players, nor has management provided the environment for success. That's more influential than how nice they have it in the place.

(03-28-2016, 08:25 PM)nefremo Wrote: [ -> ]Dev, I generally agree with your thoughts. It would be great to pull off a summer like that.

There is a couple of tweaks that I would make though. IF you keep both Zapata and Alex, than there is no need for Mammana AND Tonelli. It's an added expense that we can't afford to make and we should be looking to use that money elsewhere. Realistically, we have one sure starter in Romagnoli already. So all we need is to find him a long/er term partner and make sure we have adequate back ups at the same time. My choice would be Mammana, and than if we keep both Zapata and Alex like you said, we are more than covered in the CB department. If Mammana needs time to settle, one of Zapata/Alex can help bridge the gap. The 5th choice CB can be someone like Ely/Paletta. This player won't get to play much anyway (if at all).

The other area where I agree that we need 2 (at least) purchases is the midfield. I don't mind Donsah. I agree that he has potential but even you agree that we may have to wait to see that potential in Milan and mentioned ANOTHER box to box that's more experienced. I think that the need is bigger for a creative player in the midfield rather than a box to box like Donsah....but I can see how a good box to box will add something to the side. However, to spend money on 2 of them would be unnecessary. We need a technical player in the midfield IMO more than anything. We are stacked with box to box midfielder (not good ones, just meant stacked in terms of numbers). Montolivo (more of a box to box nowadays than anything), Kucka, Poli, even Bertolacci has shown to be more of a box to box. Actually, at this point I'm not really sure what exactly he is but he definitely isn't the same player that was in Genoa. Adding two more players of this mold will make our gameplay even duller than it is at times. (Is that even possible Big Grin

So I would rather is go for someone like Oliver Torres in the midfield. I'm just so tired of hackers that lose the ball every time they are pressed and struggle to make 15 meter passes let alone score/assist goals.

I'm ok with a box to box (Donsah) and a creative technical player (Torres). I would be against two of the same kind though.  

Up front, Berardi would be a dream. He would cost a lot though, and there might be options that are still good but won't cost as much. Zivkovic emerging as one of those. Ben Arfa being another. Clearly one of very unproven while the other is a question mark. 

A. Let's say we go with Mammana (10), Torres (25), Berardi (25) and Donsah (10)......it's not too much looking at what we can get from sales. 

B. I would be even more interested in doing something like Mammana (10), Torres (25), Ben Arfa (0), and using the other 35 (equal to the fist option) to buy a class pivot or box to box. With 35mil you could buy a player of Gundogan/Matic quality. 

If Torres is not possible (although it looks like he might leave this summer) than I think it's worth revisiting the Coric possibility. Or even going for someone like Boufal.

i agree on the defence (bear in mind I said it's a slightly idealised scenario for me). If we can't get a guy like Tonelli, then I'll accept who we have this season with Paletta returning. Same with the attack, we may not have the resources to get a decent sub, which makes Tassotti's recent comments on Paletta and Matri coming back more understandable.

On the midfield, if we can get more out of Bertolacci, I don't think technical quality is lacking. Even Montolivo's technically a very good player, even if he's not great under pressure (hopefully less of an issue when the pivot in a 3 man midfield). I do have concerns about lack of pace though, this season is evident that this side is lacking pace in the middle, which is why I want a box to box player. That isn't to say I want a physical beast that's lacking technical quality (Seedorf imo was a brilliant box to box midfielder/playmaker 10 years ago and he was known for technical quality).
Agree, but Seedorf was one of the most complete midfielders to ever play the game. He possessed any quality you can think of. He was technically great and as good as any, he was a physical beast and possessed great pace, defensively he was much much better than some give him credit for, and his football IQ was often the highest on the pitch. These type of players are very hard to find and you can even say the are generational players. 

Either way, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  Okmilan I also think that we define "technical midfielder" a little differently too....or may be talking about different things. I agree that Montolivo is technically good, but he is far away from being a "technical midfielder". For me, players like Iniesta/Verratti are techincal midfielders.....because unlike Montolivo they can get out of trouble in almost any situation. You can see their ability on the ball and they are almost never sloppy on it. They are able to take on a man when needed, they "glue" the ball to their feet and don't care if there is 3 players chasing them to press the ball. Compare that to Montolivo/Bertolacci who possess some technical qualities, and even those are only there in certain circumstances anyway. (when not pressed, deeper positions, etc)

I agree about the pace in the midfield.....it would be nice to have some, but I also think that this can be compensated for, if you have pace and runners on the flanks or the CF position/s. 

I disagree that if Bertolacci improves, than we don't lack technical quality. Even with what he offers at his best, this midfield is still lacking techincally imo. 

But it would be interesting to see what player (they don't have to be realistic, but just so i can get an idea) you think next to Montolivo and Bertolacci will get our midfield set for success. After all, it's all in the right combination of players anyhow. I think there is other combinations other than playmakers that can fix our midfield too. It just has to be the right player/s.
It's water under the bridge now but we really should have gone after Thiago Alcantara some years back before he moved to Bayern. Would have been perfect for our midfield. I also remember the days when we were linked to players like Modric and there was actually a debate on the forum as to whether he was good enough ("Milan quality"). Ah, the good old days.. Grinundwech