AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Milan vs Atalanta 15-9-12 20:45CET
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Emmanuelson best position is cam they need to take boateng the fuck off that role that fagget
(09-15-2012, 10:12 PM)WCmilan Wrote: [ -> ]Emmanuelson best position is cam they need to take boateng the fuck off that role that fagget

This I definitely agree with. Boateng isn't a trequartista. Emanuelson proved himself to be quite good in that position last year.
De jong -- Nocerino
emman---els-----Constant

Pazzini

I actually think Kevin Constant is a decent hard working player that should start
@Paolo_Bandini
Last time #Milan failed to score in first two home games was 1980-81 (via @1LROMANISTA). That year, they were relegated.
(09-15-2012, 10:21 PM)reza Wrote: [ -> ]@Paolo_Bandini
Last time #Milan failed to score in first two home games was 1980-81 (via @1LROMANISTA). That year, they were relegated.

and it shall come to past... Angel

Boateng is in over his head plain and simple.. He went from an average player at tottenham or wherever he was to a superstar in italy and especially with a team like milan, and on top of this scored some spectacular goals in CL which made the world recognize him, now hes dating a model, probably eating at 5 star restaurants all the time so he's probably packing on some weight (not that i noticed) and he's lazy and cocky until recently, guess it had to take a couple of ass whoopings from bottom table seria b calibre sides to realize that, and when he does play he trys the spectacular in the simplest of situations..

Today, I saw him shoot the ball in the box with like a very difficult kick sort of a scissor kick when he couldve literally just dived half a meter and used his head and even a 10 year old could head the ball in from there.. Don't know if i explained it well but you guys probably agree, he trys to much fancy crap which won't work all the time.

Emmanuelson man.. He really imprssed me today with his runs i always had faith in the guy and he's a player who seems loyal, i mean he doesn't complain about wages or not playing etc. Boateng back at RCM, emma at CAM. Montolivo at LCM de jong anchor. Allegri needs to stop playing around, if it wasn't for our stupid management we should've signed these players at least a few weeks before the season to try them out in training for what role they should be played at.. De jong will only improve today we has okay but i was just unimpressed with how he kept just throwing the ball wherever, i guess it was because the entire team was lost in general, to predictable.

I think the calibre of our players are okay, I just think the problem is that we are way to predictable, we have no "real" playing style, were always trying the same crap.. Like somebody gets the ball, trys being a hero and loses it.. OR, we try getting the ball on the wing just to get nini style crosses (500m to high).

ACERBI is really impressive, i mean it.. I'd put him starting 11 no doubt in my mind, BUT he needs a physical fast defender ala silva to play beside him to make up for his lack of pace on counter attacks etc, perfect partner? MBIWA.
(09-15-2012, 10:21 PM)reza Wrote: [ -> ]@Paolo_Bandini

LOL. This season does seem to be the worst one since I started following Milan, worse than 97-98 or 00-01.

We are so toothless and clueless now.
Just realized one thing, but didn't know to which thread it belongs.

Everybody is talking how bad Milan is now, and everyone seems resigned to the new fact that we are now a mid-table team. Yet one should konw that despite all the big name departure, we still lead Serie A in player payroll.

Kudos to Galliani. Facepalm
With all those expensive players they have, Madrid has lost two games already this season. Perhaps Galliani can find some consolation in this.
(09-15-2012, 10:10 PM)devoted_dm Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but who was he supposed to pick for the team then? Who did we have on our bench that could have made a difference tonight? And I really don't see how a change of formation would have helped, because we don't have the players to play 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or any other formation than 4-3-1-2.

I disagree that we can't change formation. Tonight, I honestly believed we'd be playing 4-2-3-1, but it wasn't the case. I doubt it'd have made a difference anyway, the team would probably just be more confused than it already is.

However, I do agree with you that this isn't all Allegri. You lose your best players, your current best players are all injured and you've had 3 games with mindless chicks to work with. During preseason, we saw this team wasn't that bad and were contending with all but Real, but as soon as we started playing competitive games, the performance levels have dropped dramatically. To me, that suggests some psychological problem to deal with.

As for the match itself...

I must admit I'm concerned with last night's performance. The problem is the players look like they simply don't understand the fundamentals of basic positioning. They moved a lot, which actually was an improvement compared to Samp and Bologna, but it's no good if the players simply move without thinking.

I'm not going to go through the events of the match like normal, because that's beyond the point. Our problem is we looked like a group of players thrown together but with no experience of playing together, nor with any real organisation through the side. This was a problem both offensively and defensively.

An example is when we have the ball as often someone like De Jong or Ambro would pick up the ball looking to pick a pass. With the Atalanta defensive players moving in front of them and to the side, giving a scenario like...

---------Milan defensive line-------------
----------AP--------De Jong--------------
------------------------AP-----------------

AP is Atalanta player.

In this scenario, the defensive line and midfield line of our side needs to offer options to move out from this scenario and build an attacking move. Therefore I'd expect something like this...

---------Bonera--------------------Acerbi----
Abate------AP------De Jong-----------------
---------Ambro--------AP---------Antonini--
---Boateng--------------Urby-----------------

Essentially, Ambro and Antonini are offering themselves as options at angles offensively, meanwhile, Acerbi and Bonera offer assurances behind should the options moving forward be difficult to achieve. Also, the players organise themselves into triangles, so whatever action occurs, it means progressive moves can be made. For example, De Jong passes to Ambro, then you find yourself progressively moving forward and again in the scenario where the player with the ball has options off it as Boateng and Urby create another triangle with Ambro. If we go a step further and think through the move, Abate could overlap Ambro offering an option on the right.If Pazzini pulls near post, this action creates space in the box for Boateng or El Shaarawy to take advantage of when Abate crosses. This is simple stuff, with players positioning themselves relative to the position of the ball.

Unfortunately, our scenario often looked like this:

-Abate-----Bonera------------------Acerbi----
---Ambro---AP------De Jong------------------
------------------------AP-----------------------
-----------------------Urby----------------------

Antonini would also be in this example, but he was often either AWOL or simply in a position which is useless. The problem in this scenario is no one was effectively making themselves available to De Jong. This meant the move would often be a non starter or we would go back to the defence without any progress. Often the players up front would have to drop back to offer an option. Problem is that by the time it occurred to them to pull back, all momentum was lost and the move had pretty much broken down. Noticeably, this scenario also seems to be much more sparse than the example that I'd expect to occur, highlightinhg how the team wasn't tight enough.

These lead to other problems, such as us resorting to mundane approaches on the wings. This would result in one of two things. The first would be El Shaarawy cutting in and moving towards goal. That's fine, but no one else would then move into the box other than Pazzini, meaning we had no option but to shoot from distance. This also occurred with Boateng and Ambro in less consistent moves. The other move was we'd simply have someone cross into the box from wide, usually the fullbacks. However, as with Sampdoria, we'd cross and all the players would lineup on the six yard line, with no one pressing from behind. The result was usually the ball would end up at the edge of the penalty area with a Atalanta player under no pressure looking to play it out.

Finally there was our defensive position, which again was a mess. If you consider that often El Shaarawy or Boateng would drop back into midfield to support the shape, we'd lineup with four defending in midfield to press the opponent. If Atalanta were to attack down the right, I'd expect one midfielder to push up and oppose him, with Abate pushing slightly forward to reduce the gap too. The others would be further back with Antonini and the other midfielder also pushing slightly higher (though not as high as Abate). The shape would look something like how the white team's midfield is laid out in this picture.

[Image: 2morsk8.png]

Our problem was the players on the far side wouldn't push up, meaning Atalanta wouldn't be pressed and would have outlets to move out of the pressure.

The other problem was with how we'd cover. The goal is a perfect example of a failure to cover for someone who was forced to move out of position. Nocerino pulled back into defence tracking his man as Bonera already had a man to mark. This meant De Jong should have shuffled across to cover the area Nocerino would normally cover. Not only did he fail to do this, resulting in the goal from there, but the Atalanta player (Cigarini I think) actually ran into this area from the area where De Jong was, meaning De Jong also failed to mark his man, resulting in two failures from De Jong in this single move.

Ultimately, our failure isn't to me about lack of technical quality (though we did often make technical mistakes) or lack of creativity, but it was a result of failing in simple positioning more than anything. Players would realise these mistakes, but by the time they did and moved where they were meant to, it was too late and play had moved to the next stage. I've written up some examples in this post to get the point across about how we failed, but this barely scratches the surface, as writing everything would end up with me writing an essay. Pressure is on Allegri to get this sorted and he needs to act fast, as players are thinking too much about where to move rather than moving "automatically".

Players...

Abbiati - Actually didn't have much to do but was solid, mostly on crosses
Abate - No notable mistakes on his return, but he was too slow. He would have gaps in field to move into when on the ball but would hesitate as he would when making forward runs. This often meant moves wouldn't flow as he wasn't making himself available.
Bonera - Can't really fault him, as he didn't make any real mistakes and was solid on the ball. Might have lacked some character to lead the defence, but beyond this he was solid.
Acerbi - Some technical errors but overall he was good. He was strong on and off the ball and was often trying to drive the team forward.
Antonini - Some major technical faults as well as awful positioning resulted in an ineffective performance with lots of running.
Ambro - Often tried to build forward moves but struggled due to reasons stated above. He also had a tendency to pull central and step on De Jong's toes
De Jong - Generally was ok until the move for the goal, where his failures costed the goal
Urby - A bit like Antonini with more quality. His running and movement was there, but where he moved wasn't particularly beneficial
Boateng - Off the ball, he actually showed some intelligence when compared to most of our players. On the ball, he never had a moment of quality to actually make use of his off the ball work.
El Shaarawy - Actually a much better game from him compared to Samp and Bologna. Unfortunately, if all else around you isn't working, it's difficult to make the difference, especially at 19.
Pazzini - Struggled to get into the game as he was stuck without support. Almost made use of his poacher instincts on a couple of occasions.
Nocerino - Ok while on, but didn't really offer any more than Ambro.
Bojan - Struggled to impose himself on the game or get into it.
Constant - Couldn't really add much to improve the performance.

I must say I'm quite worried.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14