AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Our new headcoach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
He is doing really good job at Sampdoria, although I hated him when he was a national coach of Serbia. There was this embarrassment with Ljajic and national anthem singing; and then some players used to play just because their agent was a friend with Mihajlovic.

Plus he befriended some very dark figures from 1990s, and never publicly dissociated himself from them.
Can someone enlighten me on why Klopp is so highly regarded? Sure he brought Dortmund to the CL final (with help from UEFA)...but look at him this season??? Why would you hire a relegation threatened team?

I hope Mihailovic doesnt get tge job with his racist history. We are trying set an example after Boatengs abuse?

I think Pellegrini to Napoli and Benitez to Man City....Ancellotti to Italy and Conte to Milan will be the changes this summer.
So, Seedorf got 35 points with 18 games, and Inzaghi also got 35 points so far with 27 games. Facepalm I am not even a Seedorf fan just for the record. I would challenge anyone to find any coach that's worse than Inzaghi. Sad

Seriously, I am so desperate that I would take any one right now to replace Inzaghi. Sad
Is this true? Grinundwech

Media punti Inzaghi: 1,36
Media punti Mancini: 1,24
Right, so given there's not a huge amount of activity during the winter break, I thought this might be a good chance to rank managers (worst to best) during the Berlusconi era. The managers include Arrigo Sacchi, Fabio Capello, Oscar Washington Tabarez, Alberto Zaccheroni, Cesare Maldini (was just interim coach, but had quite a few games so I included him), Fatih Terim, Carlo Ancelotti, Leonardo, Massimilliano Allegri, Clarence Seedorf and Filippo Inzaghi.

My list:

11) Inzaghi: I had supported him earlier on in the season until pretty much the new year, but his performances have been mediocre at best and never have I seen a Milan side so disorganised. It's not completely his fault and he can still turn it
around, but up to now he's the worst appointment as head coach of Milan I've seen.

10) Tabarez: Came at the end of the Capello era, Tabarez had difficulty assimilating into the club and managing the group, where discipline was at a low point. He's not a bad coach, as is seen in his work with Uruguay, but his time at Milan won't be remembered fondly.

9) Leonardo: Seemed destined to be a good coach, as he was an intelligent player, a great director and had shown good understanding of the tactical side of the game when a pundit on TV, but his tenure was marked as one of the most broken sides in the Berlusconi era. The 4-2-Fantasy may have seemed an exciting approach, but faltered against better prepared sides and Leonardo's tactical naivity was seen against better coaches.

8) Seedorf: His results, despite his lack of experience, were solid and even admirable. However, his side wasn't the best, but worse still was his player selection and divisive nature, both in the dressing room, in the board and among the
fans.

7) Maldini: Came in place during a difficult period, his side weren't particularly great or exciting. He did oversee the legendary 6-0 victory over Inter in the derby though.

6) Terim: A coach who imo wasn't given enough time to really build his side, where
he had exciting ideas going forward, but a weak defence. Part of me always had a small regret we never got to see the final vision, although if Pirlo's autobiography is anything to go by, Terim's "interesting" character might have been part of the reason for his sacking.

5) Zaccheroni: A solid coach who made his name at Udinese and won a spectacular scudetto in '99, where the side seemed destined to finish midtable, only to turn the season around. His later seasons were less impressive and was soon replaced by Maldini.

4) Allegri: One of the most divisive coaches in years, but his first two seasons at the club were for the most part considered successful. The difficulty was the unstructured approach of how his squad was built, which has seen the team regress during and since his tenure.

3) Ancelotti: One of the most successful coaches in the histor of football, Ancelotti's Milan was one of great quality and unique in it's tactical makeup, particularly his use of playmakers.

2) Capello: Continued the great success of Milan in the late 80s and very early 90s with a great resource of talent and a highly disciplined set up built for success.

1) Sacchi: It's often considered Sacchi's Milan was the greatest club side in history.
This in no part is due to his diligence, innovation and truly unique vision of the game. He may have recently marred his reputation with some questionable comments, but his impact on Milan and in the history of football can't be forgotten.
(03-28-2015, 05:25 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]Right, so given there's not a huge amount of activity during the winter break, I thought this might be a good chance to rank managers (worst to best) during the Berlusconi era. The managers include Arrigo Sacchi, Fabio Capello, Oscar Washington Tabarez, Alberto Zaccheroni, Cesare Maldini (was just interim coach, but had quite a few games so I included him), Fatih Terim, Carlo Ancelotti, Leonardo, Massimilliano Allegri, Clarence Seedorf and Filippo Inzaghi.

My list:

11) Inzaghi: I had supported him earlier on in the season until pretty much the new year, but his performances have been mediocre at best and never have I seen a Milan side so disorganised. It's not completely his fault and he can still turn it
around, but up to now he's the worst appointment as head coach of Milan I've seen.

10) Tabarez: Came at the end of the Capello era, Tabarez had difficulty assimilating into the club and managing the group, where discipline was at a low point. He's not a bad coach, as is seen in his work with Uruguay, but his time at Milan won't be remembered fondly.

9) Leonardo: Seemed destined to be a good coach, as he was an intelligent player, a great director and had shown good understanding of the tactical side of the game when a pundit on TV, but his tenure was marked as one of the most broken sides in the Berlusconi era. The 4-2-Fantasy may have seemed an exciting approach, but faltered against better prepared sides and Leonardo's tactical naivity was seen against better coaches.

8) Seedorf: His results, despite his lack of experience, were solid and even admirable. However, his side wasn't the best, but worse still was his player selection and divisive nature, both in the dressing room, in the board and among the
fans.

7) Maldini: Came in place during a difficult period, his side weren't particularly great or exciting. He did oversee the legendary 6-0 victory over Inter in the derby though.

6) Terim: A coach who imo wasn't given enough time to really build his side, where
he had exciting ideas going forward, but a weak defence. Part of me always had a small regret we never got to see the final vision, although if Pirlo's autobiography is anything to go by, Terim's "interesting" character might have been part of the reason for his sacking.

5) Zaccheroni: A solid coach who made his name at Udinese and won a spectacular scudetto in '99, where the side seemed destined to finish midtable, only to turn the season around. His later seasons were less impressive and was soon replaced by Maldini.

4) Allegri: One of the most divisive coaches in years, but his first two seasons at the club were for the most part considered successful. The difficulty was the unstructured approach of how his squad was built, which has seen the team regress during and since his tenure.

3) Ancelotti: One of the most successful coaches in the histor of football, Ancelotti's Milan was one of great quality and unique in it's tactical makeup, particularly his use of playmakers.

2) Capello: Continued the great success of Milan in the late 80s and very early 90s with a great resource of talent and a highly disciplined set up built for success.

1) Sacchi: It's often considered Sacchi's Milan was the greatest club side in history.
This in no part is due to his diligence, innovation and truly unique vision of the game. He may have recently marred his reputation with some questionable comments, but his impact on Milan and in the history of football can't be forgotten.

Great post! I agree most of it. But I would place Seedorf on 10th, just above Pippo. We played awful soccer under Seedorf, most of the time long ball & crosses, no attacking plan at all whatsoever. We only got results because of brilliant individual moments from Balo, Taarabt or Kaka. And he was probably the worst employee ever in our history by publicly criticizing the management & throwing players under the bus
(03-30-2015, 02:38 AM)Sheldon Wrote: [ -> ]Great post! I agree most of it. But I would place Seedorf on 10th, just above Pippo. We played awful soccer under Seedorf, most of the time long ball & crosses, no attacking plan at all whatsoever. We only got results because of brilliant individual moments from Balo, Taarabt or Kaka. And he was probably the worst employee ever in our history by publicly criticizing the management & throwing players under the bus

Thanks. I agree, Seedorf's Milan didn't play particularly great football and his controversial character was tempting me of putting him lower. However, Tabarez was given an extremely strong group of players and really struggled to maintain a competitive run with that side, playing dour football with the team in midtable.

Leonardo was also very poor imo. Unlike Seedorf he had a strong group of players and preaseason, never mind the internal tension at the club when Seedorf took over. Leonardo's results and work weren't terrible at first look, but really the reason I put him lower is the tactical naivity of his sides. He had what I call a broken team, where attack and defence don't work together. At Milan I thought this was by design as his side was built around Ronaldinho, but seeing the same at Inter, with the same flaws, I was disappointed to see he was stuck in playing in a way that's archaic.
You cant take Seedorf's publicly criticizing management as an argument against him. If anything, it's a pro argument, since the management has been nothing but awful for his whole run as our coach. He's actually the only one who refused to be B&G's yes man and I respect him for that more than anybody in Milan in the last 5-6 years.
For me, from worst to best,

Inzaghi (it seems to be consensus anyway)
Leonardo
Seedorf
Tabarez
Terim
C. Maldini
Zaccheroni
Allegri
Ancelotti
Capello/Sacchi (I know that most put Sacchi as the greatest coach, but I have always liked Capello very much for some reason)
Xu, I found it interesting you put Maldini above Terim. Any particular reason for that? Would be interested in knowing.

(03-30-2015, 01:42 PM)Stitch Wrote: [ -> ]You cant take Seedorf's publicly criticizing management as an argument against him. If anything, it's a pro argument, since the management has been nothing but awful for his whole run as our coach. He's actually the only one who refused to be B&G's yes man and I respect him for that more than anybody in Milan in the last 5-6 years.

Fair point, but I tend to be of the opinion that there are correct ways to make these points and there are incorrect ways of doing so. Seedorf supposedly said things he shouldn't have to the ultras, which has never been confirmed to be the case for sure, but the weak/lack of denial is quite telling.

His relationship with the players was highly dubious too, given his fractious relationship with many, as well as constant reports of him being late for training and slacking in behaviour, again things never denied.

Fundamentally, while he had some fair points when he criticised the players, their fitness and other aspects of the club, his approach appears to have been in breach of expected professional conduct.