AC Milan Forums - Unofficial
Milan Management - Printable Version

+- AC Milan Forums - Unofficial (https://www.milanmania.com/forum)
+-- Forum: AC MILAN (https://www.milanmania.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Discussions (https://www.milanmania.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Milan Management (/showthread.php?tid=921)

RE: Milan Management - reza - 10-11-2016

So from what I gather he denies he made any demands, both position wise and money wise, but still can't get in without knowing more about his position and role. Nothing new there.

Personally still very disappointed Sad

This is from the football-Italia translation, sigh ....
[Image: CufmVQEWcAA_GWX.jpg]

RE: Milan Management - nefremo - 10-11-2016

I respect Maldini's decision. It was my big dream to see him work for Milan. But, i can bet my life on it, if he was offered the DS position, he would have accepted without all of the crap that we are seeing now. Without all of the project talk and the "components of a winning management team" talk. If he was told that "in case of a disagreement between himself and Mirabelli, it would be Maldini that chooses", than he'd be working for Milan.

What I am saying is, this is more about (if not all about) the role offered and the power given to him....rather than the project being unclear or what not.

I am really disappointed, but like I said, I can respect his decision. He did not want to work under Mirabelli, that much is clear. Maybe he feels like his presence was only requested in order to get on the good side of the fance while not giving him any sort of power in terms of decision making. Can't say I fault himm but again, it all points to the level of power to make decision making. He wanted more of it. Simple as that. Like I said, if he was offered the DS role, this project was going to be a great one. Now that he is not offered a more powerful role, all of a sudden, there are question marks about the so called project according to Paolo.

A more sensible approach would have been to sign a 1 year contract and see how it goes. You can always walk away after a year if things simple aren't working right. Nobody will blame you. But to not give this a shot, is a shame. I think he should have handled this differently. But this is Paolo. Like he said himself, he is a complicated character at times.

This right here perfectly explains the issue he is having - “Of course, I’d have had to take - in the eyes of the fans, the Press and the ownership - the entire responsibility for the sporting side of things, potentially without having any executive power."

I don't understand. Why does he think that he has to assume all responsibility. If anything, Mirabelli and Fassone are the ones that will be blamed if things don't go right. 

Life goes on...

Fans will not blame him if he was in as CEO even and this fails, what he is saying in his statement is nonsense sorry. I am as closed to shocked as I was earlier on when I posted about Albertini twitter stuff.

RE: Milan Management - somedevil - 10-11-2016

Quote:“Of course, I’d have had to take - in the eyes of the fans, the Press and the ownership - the entire responsibility for the sporting side of things, potentially without having any executive power.

This for me id the key point- I can totally see this happening if things don't work out well or we make bad signings. I can understand his reasons and given the kind of person he has been throughout his career, this makes me worry a bit about the way things are going. 

What is he not saying that he knows of? Clearly he doesn't think much of the new structure that is about to be put into place. Coming from someone as experienced in this sport as him, especially someone who is a successful businessman and now a team owner, it worries me. 

From a personal point of view, he has every right to reject a new job if he doesn't feel that it is right by his standards. If Maldini would've come back, it would have been a big deal and his reputation would've been at stake. If he didn't feel that he could do his best under such circumstances, then hs is right to decline the offer. 

From my point of view, it does seem like the new management just want to get a legend back to get on the good side of fans. The way they have been trotting out names. I just hope that they can appoint competitive people in the right positions.

Like I posted above I disagree that he will be held responsible by fans if we fail, I see quite the opposite, especially as the rest of the people (Fassone, Mirabelli) have Inter backgrounds.

RE: Milan Management - ACMILAN1983 - 10-11-2016

I think this decision was expected and despite some disappointment having wanted him in Milan for so long, I ultimately have no issues with his decision. It would pretty much be hypocritical of me to to take much issue with how things are given the things I said and how I mentioned my anecdote about a personal situation where I drew similarities.

I also still believe that mistakes have been made about the role he was offered, if the rumours are true of course. I found the lack of certainty and clarity a massive issue, it actually leaves me concerned about the project.

The Chinese group have responded by saying this project will be successful, well now's the time to show the world they aren't all just words and they back up their claims. They do that, then no doubt they'll have Milanisti on their side, even Maldini.

RE: Milan Management - nefremo - 10-11-2016

(10-11-2016, 04:35 PM)somedevil Wrote: This for me id the key point- I can totally see this happening if things don't work out well or we make bad signings. I can understand his reasons and given the kind of person he has been throughout his career, this makes me worry a bit about the way things are going. 

What is he not saying that he knows of? Clearly he doesn't think much of the new structure that is about to be put into place. Coming from someone as experienced in this sport as him, especially someone who is a successful businessman and now a team owner, it worries me. 

From a personal point of view, he has every right to reject a new job if he doesn't feel that it is right by his standards. If Maldini would've come back, it would have been a big deal and his reputation would've been at stake. If he didn't feel that he could do his best under such circumstances, then hs is right to decline the offer. 

From my point of view, it does seem like the new management just want to get a legend back to get on the good side of fans. The way they have been trotting out names. I just hope that they can appoint competitive people in the right positions.

I disagree.

I love Maldini myself, but he can't get all the breaks here. If it was Galliani we were talking about offering Maldini a spot...I can see the skepticism, but we literary know almost nothing about the investors (apart from the fact that they are spending half a billion Euros on Milan + signed a document to invest a further 350mil) so at the present time, I really have no ammunition against them. I can not just criticize them because they didn't give Maldini what he wanted. 

Whether he deserves it or not is not the question. If you ask me, I would have given him the DS role with the primary focus on transfers and player acquisitions. He knows enough about the sporting sector to do this. Than, I would have hired another guy (Mirabelli) to take care of the sporting sector that is internal to the club....meaning the integration of young players, loans out, link between all the squads and the coaching staff, etc. But, for whatever reason, Mirabelli (who has more experience in a similar role) was chosen for a DS role. I don't necessarily agree with this, but it's done.  

The fact remains that he was given a role that ranked really high within the organization. In all honesty, it looks like it was going to be: 1. owners 2. CEO 3. Mirabelli/Maldini (with perhaps Mirabelli ranking slightly higher on certain things). That's absolutely an acceptable position for someone that has never held a management spot. Like Reza said, nobody would have blamed Maldini for failures if everyone knew that there are 2 guys (Fassone and Mirabelli) that are on top of the "food chain". I think this is a baseless statement from Paolo. He had the opportunity to start working with the club and have a big say along the way. Sure there may have been some disagreements along the way, but you gotta see how they pan out first.

He also went on to say that rumors about money have been put out there from people that have known him for 30 years. I wonder who he is talking about. I personally don't buy the money part. I don't think that this was the issue....although he has every right to ask for a respectable salary and nobody should be expected to work for little money compared to the market....just because he loves the club. 

I think we all love Maldini so much, that it's easy to defend him. He is our legend. Our face. Our hero. But there is no denying that throughout the years he has proven to be somewhat of a difficult character. He speaks his mind (not necessarily a bad thing, don't get me wrong) and it was no different this time. There was absolutely no reason to go to the media last week to release that statement in such detail. Let the rumors be rumors, and handle the business quietly and privately. You can always clarify things after it's all set and done. 

Again, the biggest problem imo is the "power aspect". Maldini is a strong character, and he wasn't given the power that he wanted. He did not want to work in accordance with Mirabelli and wanted autonomy. He says that he respects the CEO, but when he was told that in case of a disagreement between himself and Mirabelli, it will be the CEO that has the final say....AND HE DIDN'T LIKE THAT! How? Does he want the final say? It's ok if he does, but clearly the Chinese weren't prepared to do that. And surely, being pretty much appointed as the 4th highest executive in the club is no small feat...so I can't imagine what it was that he exactly wanted.

Also, on his comments of:
“I told him I didn’t think that was the basis for a winning team. I’ve been part of teams which have made football history, and I know that to achieve resultsthere has to be great synergy between all the corporate bodies and major investors, in addition to well-defined roles."

I'm sorry....but I call bullshit on that. "I know that to achieve results, there has to be great synergy between all the corporate bodies and major investors, in addition to well-defined roles"???? What "well defined roles" were there in Milan fort 30 years? I'll tell you.....only 2 roles were well defined. That of Berlusconi and Galliani....and those roles were defined as "dictators". Simple as that. Braida was here, but never had power. Others were here, but never had power nor say. It was always the final word of Galliani in accordance with Berlusconi. There was no synergy between corporate bodies. There was only Berlusconi and what he wanted to do. He either wanted to pour millions into Milan or not. Until he did, Milan was on top of the world. When he decided to stop, a bunch of shady deals started happening and we fell off the world map. So this whole statement by Maldini is a bunch of shit! 

I've said many times....it's wrong to have one person have all the power. I am really sad to see this, and I am really sorry that this happened.....but to me, it looks like this is exactly what Maldini wanted. He wanted a defined role which enabled him to make decisions as he saw fit. No checks, no balances.

Maybe he was scared that Fassone will always side with Mirabelli, and the Chinese will always back Fassone....which ultimately gives Maldini's opinions (if they differ) no credibility. It's a fair point.....but like I said earlier....you've never worked with these people so how do you know if disagreements will be handled in that way. Why not give it a go for a year and see how it goes. Maybe the collaboration would have been a great thing.

RE: Milan Management - slifersd - 10-12-2016

I respect Maldini's decision to not get on board with the new management, no problem at all. He was a great player in his days, and will always be remembered fondly by Milan fans everywhere. He really doesn't have any reason to ditch his cushy life to get back into the grind of things under the new Milan management.

To me, Maldini not coming back is more of a "wrong place, wrong time" type of situation than anything else. I personally don't blame either side for not being able to work this thing out, despite how much i wanted it to be worked out. Maldini, as he has always been during his career, is someone who is holds himself to a very high standard. Hell, the guy probably competes with his wife every morning to see who makes the better coffee. For him, it is hard to take a job where he is not the main decision maker. From the Chinese perspective, hiring someone to essentially run the sporting side of things without any experience is incredibly risky. As much as we all love Cap, the guy has had zero experience working in soccer management. Sure, he was a great player who have seen a lot, but that doesn't necessarily translate to front office capabilities.

It is what it is, I am not broken up about the fact that Cap is not back, we just have to go on without him. As long as people with the right skill set is brought in, none of this really matters in the end.

RE: Milan Management - somedevil - 10-12-2016

Quote:“The priority for SES is now closing the purchase of AC Milan. We regret Paolo Maldini’s decision regarding our proposal because we firmly believe that he will soon realise how much of a winning project ours is for AC Milan.”

The Chinese have responded to Maldini's comments. Honestly, there was no need for them to respond and it sounds a bit childish to me. The last line that is.

RE: Milan Management - millinarios - 10-12-2016

(10-12-2016, 08:33 AM)somedevil Wrote: The Chinese have responded to Maldini's comments. Honestly, there was no need for them to respond and it sounds a bit childish to me. The last line that is.

I think that they are just trying to reassure the fans that they have a good project. I see no problem with that.