Summer mercato 2020
(09-29-2020, 06:09 PM)nefremo Wrote: Yup. No way we can pay that outright. This is the reality. Leicester can easily outspend Milan these days. But it's ok. I feel like that would have been too much anyway. There is always a big risk with these types of transfers. I can name so many players that were supposed to be the next big thing, got sold for huge money, and turned into nothing more then average (in some cases not even average). Also, there are some that didn't get sold only to "show" the following season they were nothing special. 

We gotta be careful and not get pulled into these bidding wars for these "flavor of the month" players. Not saying they are not good players. But the risk is always there and when talking about 40mil Euros, it's one hell of a risk. It's different when talking about a player that's been performing for 4-5 years. But not after a year.

I guess we still haven't even spend equivalent to Suso's transfer fee, and now we are about to receive 20-22M for Paqueta(pls include few pennies for RR and Gustavo Gomez sales), we can spend atleast 20-25M on a defender easily, I guess, but 40M for 19 year old LOL.
You fear because you live without Love Pioli
Juventus are planning to offer a 2-year loan deal (20mln€) + a buy option (40mln€) for Chiesa. (La Republica)
I'm not too upset about losing Fofana to Leicester, as I think he's too young anyway. And I also feel like the inflated transfer fees that PL clubs are willing to pay, aren't really placing them miles ahead of their competition in Italy and other countries.
The PL is a great league, don't get me wrong, but Liverpool is the best team in it, and they don't really spend any more money on transfer fees than we do. The last two seasons we've actually spent more than them on the transfer market, as far as I know. So I think football today is becoming less about who can make the most expensive signings, and more about who can make the smartest ones and build the most solid, cohesive teams. You see clubs all over Europe adopting this philosophy these days, and it works. Atalanta is another great example. It's a healthy reaction to the dominance of clubs like Man City, PSG and so on. Good for you that you can buy Neymar, but that investment alone isn't going to win you the CL, so is it really worth it?
So basically I fully support what we're doing these days. Hauge is a perfect example of a cheap, low-risk signing that could turn out to be great for us. Then we can save the bigger transfer fees for the players that are guaranteed to improve the team, instead of spending them on the likes of Piatek and Paqueta. To quote the Mandalorian, "this is the way".
Florian Thauvin linked. Available for €15m because contract expires next summer. Market value on Transfermarkt is €32m. Good alternative to Chiesa.
There is no need to outspend EPL teams but when we do spend it has to be error free. We can't just say Piatek and Paqueta were 'previous management' or something like that. We have to have things in place not to repeat that. Just having Maldini is not enough, it goes down to Moncada and scouts and system and primavera .... everything.
Milannews.it is saying that with Paqueta leaving we're closing the chapter on Leonardo's Milan and his failed signings. And there's quite a lot of them that didn't work out, from Higuain, Kalinic and Caldara to Piatek and Paqueta. We spent a lot of money thinking that individual players could save us...
(09-29-2020, 06:57 PM)reza Wrote: There is no need to outspend EPL teams but when we do spend it has to be error free. We can't just say Piatek and Paqueta were 'previous management' or something like that. We have to have things in place not to repeat that. Just having Maldini is not enough, it goes down to Moncada and scouts and system and primavera .... everything.

Yeah definitely, that is fundamentally how the club must be run to be able to compete. And that's why I really liked the way we initially discovered Hauge in June, with computer algorithms that compared his performances to other players in Norway and found him to be the most talented one. Apparently it's not the only "lower" European league we've done this in. It's a 21st century Milan, combining technology with football knowledge, the way a modern club should.
(09-29-2020, 06:53 PM)Arildonardo Wrote: Florian Thauvin linked. Available for €15m because contract expires next summer. Market value on Transfermarkt is €32m. Good alternative to Chiesa.

Great.
Fiorentina is looking to sign Martinez Quarta to replace Milenkovic. (DiMarzio)
(09-29-2020, 06:47 PM)Sleeping Giant Wrote: Juventus are planning to offer a 2-year loan deal (20mln€) + a buy option (40mln€) for Chiesa. (La Republica)

I think we would be able to do a deal like this. It values Chiesa at 60mil though, and that's a bit too much. Regardless, I think 1 of Samu/Saelemaekers would need to leave for us to do this. Saelemaekers is definitely not leaving (neither do I think he should). So it comes down to Samu. I also doubt that he'll leave Milan this in this window. So as much as I would want Chiesa and have our wingers be Hauge, Rebic, Saelemaekers, Chiesa and Leao (I consider Diaz as an ACM so therefore in competition with Hakan)...I don't think it's possible. But that's strictly because of the number of players, and not necessarily that we wouldn't be able to afford that kind of a deal.

Having said that, Juventus have Douglas Costa who they wanna get rid of and they can't. So it'll be interesting to see what happens to Costa. Might be a last minute opportunity for us. (I've said before how much I like this player, despite the fact that he's a walking disaster when it comes to injuries)  Icon_lol2

(09-29-2020, 06:53 PM)Arildonardo Wrote: Florian Thauvin linked. Available for €15m because contract expires next summer. Market value on Transfermarkt is €32m. Good alternative to Chiesa.

Naahhh! No need for him I think. If his deal expires next summer, let's take him for free then. I wouldn't spend money on him now. Your last sentence though, "alternative to Chiesa"....do you think at this point we are still after Chiesa?

(09-29-2020, 06:57 PM)reza Wrote: There is no need to outspend EPL teams but when we do spend it has to be error free. We can't just say Piatek and Paqueta were 'previous management' or something like that. We have to have things in place not to repeat that. Just having Maldini is not enough, it goes down to Moncada and scouts and system and primavera .... everything.

Agree. But I think we've already started to see signs of this. I think Maldini has done an incredible job. Some transfers will always be "misses". And you can't even assign a fault to anyone. It's a problem when most of your transfers become a mistake. And I gotta say, it sure as heck looks like Leonardo's transfers now. 

(09-29-2020, 06:58 PM)devoted_dm Wrote: Milannews.it is saying that with Paqueta leaving we're closing the chapter on Leonardo's Milan and his failed signings. And there's quite a lot of them that didn't work out, from Higuain, Kalinic and Caldara to Piatek and Paqueta. We spent a lot of money thinking that individual players could save us...

Kalinic was a Mirabelli signing, no? In any case, I completely agree. I know Leonardo is supposed to be this "super sporting director" or what not, but to be completely honest, what exactly has he built?? Yes, he played a big part in the Kaka signing for us. He also did some good work initially for PSG when he took Verratti, Ibra, Silva. But it's not like he built a European Dynasty with that team. They are yet to win in Europe. And that's not all his fault, but he has a part. He's always operated with big sums and budgets. Even here, he splashed some big cash on players and it seemed like it was done without a plan. As you said, it was "spending money thinking individuals could save us". Yes, we all "celebrated" Caldara and Higuain. Yes it was an opportunistic thing since we had to get rid of Bonucci, etc, etc. 
But for me, I'd rather us do what Maldini is doing. Bennacer, Theo, Rebic, Saelemaekers, Kjaer, Hauge, Kalulu.....all signings done for reasonable sums. The one transfer that was done for big money, Leao, is already catching some heat because he hasn't blown the roof of the place. It's what happens when you spend a lot of money. It's a risk. Expectations are big, and people criticize. 

Maldini still has a lot to prove. He's just starting out. But I gotta say, he's done a great job so far. It also seems that he's really listening to those around him. I feel like Moncada has had a much bigger role in the set up now that Leonardo is gone.