Poll: Which teams will qualify?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Brazil Devilconfused
39.13%
9 39.13%
Cameroon Rolleyes
4.35%
1 4.35%
Croatia Smile
47.83%
11 47.83%
Mexico Devilsmoke
8.70%
2 8.70%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Group-A - WC 2014
Interesting that you said that. What a winner you are. Devilol
aka xudong
Look Xu, we go a long way back from the old forum so I sincerely apologize if I offended you. All I'm trying to say is that at the very basic, we all should believe that everybody involved in this game has good intention. Because once we begin to suspect other's intention, then we'll delve into paranoia and the game is practically ruined.
per l'amaro e il dolce
I didn't mean any malice when I called you "naive", but combined with my poor choice of smilie (it is very late and I am probably too tired. I actually thought that smilie was cute Facepalm), I can see why you were upset. I am sorry too.

In fact, between the two teams today, I even supported Brazil a little bit more, but I wasn't convinced at all with how they won the game. Brazil had no way to break Croatia's defense; the penalty call was bad, and I think Ramirez fouled too before Oscar's third goal. Going back to that 'conspiracy theory', I didn't agree with you that "to start questioning the integrity of FIFA/host after one incident in the first game of the competition is ridiculous"; truth being told, I would question the integrity of FIFA long before even the first mistake or first game of the competition. Smile and I certainly believe that whatever happens in the field is not isolated from what happens off the field.

Let's agree to disagree, also because I don't really want to start a long debate which I find tiring. Sad

Cheers.
aka xudong
You're right, Nalx. But if we only talk about the ones with clear evidences, then there would be almost no discussion, and it is not fun. Big Grin

Anyway, conspiracy theory with FIFA is off-topic. This match is the 1st from 7 steps the Brazil must take, but this is not a steady one. I think there are a lot of Brazilians who can not enjoy the win fully.
I'd rather we talk about girls than conspiracy stuff. Haha. Croatia certainly made Brazil work harder than usual. Zonal Marking said that during the Confederations Cup (the closest thing to competitive games for them prior to World Cup), not once did Brazil find themselves a goal down so making them chase the game like last night was a credit for Croatia too.
per l'amaro e il dolce
A good result for Brazil which should provide the platform for their competition. As already mentioned I think them coming back from going behind is actually an interesting point and could add a feeling of strength that was previously lacking in the side (imagine the tension if the first time they went behind was in a knockout game).

Quick points on the teams....

Croatia showed they have quality and technical ability to cause some problems this competition, but for me they didn't stick well enough to their gameplan of hitting the Brazilians on the counter in the wide areas and the defensive frailties are clearly there to see.

In this respect, Brazil were very good in attacking their weak spots. Playing Neymar centrally against Rakitic and Modric (two players not known for their defending) and looking to use Oscar's creativity against an inexperienced LB was smart by Scolari. However, they have to grow A LOT if they're to win. On the ball there were far too many slack moments, while defending I can only call the fullbacks a disaster, disorientating the whole side. That said I do think we'll see growth now that they've got things under way.

Finally, about the ref, I must say that while I think the officiating was terrible, I'm not sure it was intentionally in favour of Brazil. I think there were decisions that went Brazil's way (obviously the penalty), but others, like the Neymar yellow which I think was completely unncessary. I also think the environment got to the ref, hence he made decisions that appeared to favour Brazil a little more. I certainly think there's been an overreaction and undue hatred towards the Brazilian team following the match.
Brazil is severely lacking a Xavi, a Pirlo, a Bsatian-S and it will cost them soon. One could say the same thing about Argentina, but (1) they have Messi, (2) Angel Di Maria is all of a sudden become a world beater after delivering Madrid their 10th pathetic UCL. Dodgy

Argentina will win the World CupĀ 2022
Formerly mzk57
(06-13-2014, 01:53 PM)mzk57 Wrote: Brazil is severely lacking a Xavi, a Pirlo, a Bsatian-S and it will cost them soon. One could say the same thing about Argentina, but (1) they have Messi, (2) Angel Di Maria is all of a sudden become a world beater after delivering Madrid their 10th pathetic UCL. Dodgy

Yes and no. Brazilian football for a while has lacked ball playing central midfielders who can act as registas, which is something a lot of Brazilians are apparently acknowledging, but this Brazilian side does have players who will compensate for this skill.

Thiago Silva in defence has proven himself for years as someone who can start moves in deep areas. This goes all the way back to when he was in Milan, particularly Allegri's second season in charge when we would use Van Bommel or Ambro in front of defence rather than have a regista.

However, if you watched carefully yesterday, Neymar was also dropping deep (usually to the halfway line) to help start attacking moves. He was given a role to be the centerpiece of the play, which is something Oscar can also do. On top of that they've got Hernanes on the bench, another who is more than capable as a regista.

Argentina also have a few ball playing midfielders in Gago and Biglia, while Mascherano's ability on the ball is often underrated, as let's not forget the reason he was moved into the Barca backline was for his passing skills.

Obviously Messi is a major threat, but to say Di Maria is suddenly a world beater is ironically both undervaluing him and overrating him. He's been a very good player for a long time, maybe not world class, but certainly someone who capably can play as a starter in pretty much any team. That said, one great game in the CL final doesn't make him suddenly someone who is up there with Messi and Ronaldo et al. However, he is someone who could make a big impact this world cup. With so many teams focusing on the likes of Messi and Aguero, Di Maria may have space to exploit.
it is rare but this time Dev I don't agree with you fully. but I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Brazil is among the few teams that I won't mind winning the whole thing, just for the record.
aka xudong
Whoever opposes referees using replays is a full retard.

2 goals wrongfully disallowed for Mexico. I'd be pulling my hair right now if Bosnia was in their place.