2014 World Cup
I'm not going to write everything I got from this world cup as it'll be too long, but some of the key things I did get include:

1) The modern CF is no longer a pure goalscorer. This one is evident most of all in the fact that the top scorers this world cup all played roles slightly deeper than a CF. Muller kind of played CF in some games, but Klose was brought in during the knockout stages, while Neymar, James and Messi all played a little deeper. Instead, the forward's were often given the duty of playing to open up spaces for those coming from deep.

2) Defending is no longer the art it was. This for me was by far the biggest disappointment of this world cup. I'm not one to want drab 0-0 draws, but I do want to see quality defending at this level. Fact is, this was no where to be seen, with teams disorganised and unable to read games at the back.

3) Attacking football or rather proactive football is the favoured approach these days. This might be as a result of point 2 (or vice versa), but ultimately teams weren't afraid to attack each other which created some hugely entertaining games. Even the less known sides, like Algeria, really went for it and played spectacular football. Even Greece, a team I maligned for the negative approach were attacking more (once forced).

4) The wide areas have become vital in modern attacks. Teams attacking from the wide areas often made inroads in hurting opponents. Whether it was Holland with Robben, Argentina with Lavezzi/Di Maria or Germany with pretty much all of their attacking players, it doesn't feel like a huge surprise wide players hurt opponents in this world cup.

5) The transition from defence to attack has shifted focus to extremely quick and direct attacks. This isn't new, Sacchi implemented it in his Milan, Wenger has built his philosophy around it and Mourinho pays heavy focus on it (note all have very different ideas on football). With tiki taka being the most prominent brand of football in the last half decade, there was a focus on possession football in recent years. That, imo, changed with Heynckes' Bayern side that won CL, when they decimated Barca during the semi-finals and that approach has shifted the current trend in football to a more aggressive approach.

6) Those who have a structured approach to youth development are flourishing. Germany have invested huge sums of money to develop their side to be where they are today. Spain, despite having a terrible world cup (imo due to a generational shift), still have an incredible group of young talents coming through. Brazil, Italy and England have some good young talents, but they are developed with any particular project in mind, meaning they simply don't appear to work as well together as other nations.

7) Few teams play with the traditional identity anymore. Brazil's most notable in this regard, showing nothing like Joga Bonito of old. Italy can no longer defend and hold possession. Germany play in a way expected of Brazilian sides and aren't as efficient as past sides, proving more cavalier. Argentina were extremely defensive, rather than a free flowing attacking side.

8) Finally, some teams need to rethink how to rebuild their football. Again, Brazil is most notable after losing 7-1 to a German side that ironically won the hearts of many Brazilians with their brand of football. Italy's terrible successive world cup is indicative of another nation that needs to reconsider it's approach to youth development and rework their whole system. However, it's not just bigger nations, as African football needs to take a long introspective look as while Algeria and Nigeria proved to do well, the administrative issues of some more powerful nations (Cameroon and Ghana especially) proved to be the undoing of these sides. Likewise, the hope and growth of Asian football in recent years meant they came into the tournament with some expectations. Instead, it was an embarrassing performance from these nations.

These are some of the key points I got from this world cup. I do have more, but in this case I've avoided going into granular detail and haven't gone into anything outside of trends I noticed on the pitch.
Reply
Not sure where to post this. but Dunga is (again) the head coach of Brazil NT. Icon_lol2
Reply
His team was pretty decent in qualifying for 2010 but his character and the way he dealt with players makes me wonder why he is even considered for the return.
Reply
IMO, both he and Scolari have a weakness: no plan B.

Dunga was unlucky but Scolari's team attackers stopped scoring after table round, and the attack from CBs is not a reliable source.
Reply
Personally, I consider him even worse than Scolari.
Reply
I couldn't believe it either when I saw Dunga linked with that job again. Dunga is, it seems, a close friend of Gilmar Rinaldi who's the new technical director of the Brazilian FA...

Dunga's Brazil failed to play good football, and although he won the Copa America in 2007, they failed at the WC in 2010. And his club coaching career consists, I believe, of a short and failed stint at Internacional.

I was never a fan of Scolari, but I could understand turning to him in a desperate situation ahead of this WC given he had been in charge the last time they won it. But Dunga? I admit I don't now much about what he's been up to since the 2010 WC (from what I gather it isn't much) or what his ideas are, but are there really no other candidates? Someone who has either achieved something or has progressive ideas.

Else they might as well bring back Mário Zagallo!
Reply
A bizarre decision, more so because the powers at be don't seem to recognise that Brazilian football needs to rethink it's approach on the game from being so results driven.

It's such an odd way to look at the sport given the history of success playing the game in their way and the fact that the people (Brazilians and others) want Brazil to rediscover its identity.

It's actually sad to see the state of Brazilian football, as there's potential there to mix some of the old technical football with the more modern high pressing game that's a part of the current Brazilian game at all levels. It would be good for the nation and football in general to see a Brazilian side that retains it's traditional identity whilst evolving with the sport.
Reply
^^ I can guarantee that Tim Vickery will have a fit on this week's World Football Phone-in. He was absolutely against Dunga for the exact reasons that you mentioned. Brazilian football has to go back to its identity and they need coaches and a management structure which encourages that. I definitely don't think that Dunga is the man to bring Brazil's identity back.
Siamo a posto cosi.
Reply
No, given he apparently made the statement how making a tackle is an art and how making a save is an art, I don't think he's going to look back at the things that Brazilian football has traditionally identified itself with.

I didn't realise that you listened to world football phone in, it is really good to hear some of the opinions of the experts they have on.
Reply
(07-23-2014, 04:11 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: No, given he apparently made the statement how making a tackle is an art and how making a save is an art, I don't think he's going to look back at the things that Brazilian football has traditionally identified itself with.

I didn't realise that you listened to world football phone in, it is really good to hear some of the opinions of the experts they have on.

One of the best parts of waking up on a Saturday morning (besides it being the weekend) is that there is usually a new podcast. There aren't many podcasts like this one that are funny, entertaining AND informative all at once.

I search for new podcasts every so often but they seem to be mostly BPL-oriented. I suppose the bulk of (quality) Italian football podcasts are probably in Italian...?
Siamo a posto cosi.
Reply