Summer mercato 2015
(08-15-2015, 10:40 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: On Kovacic, I think he'd be a great signing, I'm a big fan of his. I think he's wasted at Inter, especially as a traditional regista, because it restricts his ability to drive forward with the ball. I think he'd be an excellent mezzala, though he's not a complete player at this point of his career.


Ok, I don't want to pick on you here, because your argument is one which is very similar to what many people are saying. However, please tell me what makes Witsel so good? People talk like he's going to be a massive improvement in midfield for us and I just don't understand why. I do think he's a good player, but I don't see anything to suggest he will be as good as people think.

His passing seems to be his strength, which is fine and really genuinely something we need to improve on. However, his passing is that of a player who keeps things ticking and flowing in a match. He won't be a protagonist, one who will contribute to the end product to a move, but he's one who can help the build up of a move. Thing is, Soriano can also do that pretty well (he's often been used as an AM in his career so it's harder to judge). You talk about Witsel's ability to recover possession, but he's never particularly impressed me in this. He's physically impressive, but he's never struck me as a dominant force in midfield. To back this up, Soriano has just as good, if not better, statistics in this regard.

I don't want to make this a Soriano vs Witsel debate, but basically Soriano gets written off very quickly, while Witsel is made out to be some sort of world class player. Again, this isn't aimed at you specifically, but I've seen it so much now that it bothers me a little, as I see two players who can potentially contribute a lot, but neither offers any sort of guarantees imo. On Witsel, I will say (and I think this is a fair comparison to what you were saying) he reminds me of Thiago Motta. A player who can improve a team with their consistency and understanding of positioning. That said, I think Thiago Motta is quite a bit better, especially because of his intelligence on the pitch.

Agree completely!
(08-15-2015, 10:40 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: On Kovacic, I think he'd be a great signing, I'm a big fan of his. I think he's wasted at Inter, especially as a traditional regista, because it restricts his ability to drive forward with the ball. I think he'd be an excellent mezzala, though he's not a complete player at this point of his career.


Ok, I don't want to pick on you here, because your argument is one which is very similar to what many people are saying. However, please tell me what makes Witsel so good? People talk like he's going to be a massive improvement in midfield for us and I just don't understand why. I do think he's a good player, but I don't see anything to suggest he will be as good as people think.

His passing seems to be his strength, which is fine and really genuinely something we need to improve on. However, his passing is that of a player who keeps things ticking and flowing in a match. He won't be a protagonist, one who will contribute to the end product to a move, but he's one who can help the build up of a move. Thing is, Soriano can also do that pretty well (he's often been used as an AM in his career so it's harder to judge). You talk about Witsel's ability to recover possession, but he's never particularly impressed me in this. He's physically impressive, but he's never struck me as a dominant force in midfield. To back this up, Soriano has just as good, if not better, statistics in this regard.

I don't want to make this a Soriano vs Witsel debate, but basically Soriano gets written off very quickly, while Witsel is made out to be some sort of world class player. Again, this isn't aimed at you specifically, but I've seen it so much now that it bothers me a little, as I see two players who can potentially contribute a lot, but neither offers any sort of guarantees imo. On Witsel, I will say (and I think this is a fair comparison to what you were saying) he reminds me of Thiago Motta. A player who can improve a team with their consistency and understanding of positioning. That said, I think Thiago Motta is quite a bit better, especially because of his intelligence on the pitch.

Firstly I'd like to know why you deliberately dug out my post if "so many others are saying the same". You technically just reiterated what I said that yes he's physically impressive and the expertise of Rui Costa and others have even hailed his quick passing ability, I tend to trust what someone of his caliber has to say over forum posters or journalists. Anyhow, on the Soriano debate. Let's compared Witsels 60 appearances to sorianos 4 or 5 apps that wrre in friendlies or qualification  matches. There's two years difference fine, but even then Soriano won't catch up. I challenge you to go through my post and tell me where I said he's world class when I said he's nothing fancy nor is he a pirlo. 
So what if Rui Costa said that. If that's the case then let's just stop discussing players and football here as the professionals are always right. Just like how Allegri was right about Matri. Just like how Ancelotti was right about Alex last year when he said he is great, fast on the sprint while also physical, blah, blah.

Everyone's got an opinion. Just cuz Allegri thought Matri was going to slot on perfectly in his formation.....it didn't mean that he was right obviously.
Who are we debating here? Kovacic won't come and won't be cheap if he it were to happen. He was bought two years ago, may be Mr.Bee should push Berlusconi to increase the scouting budget so we can find Kovacic type players at the stage where we buy them from Zagreb not after some other team like Inter has bought them.
I thought the debate was on Witsel! You're a couple steps behind Reza. We all know Kovacic won't come. Big Grin
I didn't dig out your posts. They were the most recent to suggest Witsel would significantly help the team. When I said many others said the same, I wasn't specifically referring to posts here, but also other forums.

When has Rui Costa commented on him? The only time I know of is when he was rumoured on being sold, but I don't remember him talking about his passing. I took those comments with a pinch of salt, seeing as they were looking at selling him and would have looked to drive his price up.

On your point about comparing Witsel and Soriano, I have no clue what you're trying to say about the number of games they've played. I don't see why you think Soriano won't ever catch up with Witsel, what logic is this based on?

Let's clarify I never said you consider Witsel world class. My point was how people, and I'm guessing you think the same, are saying how Witsel will immediately improve the side while are very quick to write off Soriano. Obviously the words I chose were exaggerating the point, but it was never intended to misinterpret your opinion.

anyway, clearly you think my post was some sort of attack, so apologies if you feel that way. I genuinely wanted to understand your opinion and do respect your posts, as my history in responding to you should hopefully suggest. Perhaps it's best we drop this conversation.

Edit: my response is to WCMilan and Reza the debate is on Witsel and Soriano
Oh Big Grin

Few months ago I mentioned Witsel being one I really like, mostly I was impressed by his NT performances I saw. Howver, some 80% of posts and articles I have read since say otherwise so I gave up, not going to pretend I know more than such a big majority.
(08-15-2015, 04:51 PM)reza Wrote: Oh Big Grin

Few months ago I mentioned Witsel being one I really like, mostly I was impressed by his NT performances I saw. Howver, some 80% of posts and articles I have read since say otherwise so I gave up, not going to pretend I know more than such a big majority.

Don't give up Reza, you're after all the admin and owner.. you can force an opinion Grinundwech

seriously though, in most of the debates it seems that Soriano and Witsel are somewhat on the same level.. and we all know how Italian players are always under-rated and also mostly late-bloomers.

Soriano has more advantages though...
1) he's Italian
2) he'd cost less than Witsel
3) he's younger
4) he wants to play for Milan and under Mihalovic
5) his wage demands are less than Witsel's

I'd go for Soriano, I'd like an Italian-driven Milan
I wouldn't mind either player, simply because I don't know enough of either, and will (have to) trust our management.

I also do like an Italian Milan, so Soriano sounds not bad. I was hoping that we could hold on to Cristante and el Shaarawy, but I will not cry over spilt milk. Sad
Quote:Friday August 14 2015
Napoli, Milan battle for Soriano
By Football Italia staff

Napoli and Milan are both keen on Roberto Soriano, but Sampdoria can be expected to ask for a high price.

The midfielder already worked under Rossoneri Coach Sinisa Mihajlovic in their time together at the Doria.

Miha is believed to have directly asked his club for the Italian, in the same way that he requested Roma's Alessio Romagnoli.

According to Calciomercato.com, il Diavolo have already been in touch with Sampdoria President Massimo Ferrero and are likely to present an offer next week.

Napoli are also strong contenders for the player, whose contract is due to end in 2017 with a €10m clause that would allow him to rescind it.

The sale of Gokhan Inler to Leicester will open €6-7m for the Partenopei to re-invest on the mercato.

Their crucial advantage could be Omar El Kaddouri, whom Sampdoria may be willing to accept as a viable exchange player, according to Calciomercato.it.

In any case Soriano is an important component of Sampdoria and, with Ferrero rumoured to be looking to extend his contract until 2019, it is certain that he will not be sold for cheap.



Quote:Friday August 14 2015
Juventus crash Soriano party
By Football Italia staff

Juventus crash the Napoli-Milan battle for Sampdoria's Roberto Soriano, forwarding an offer of €15m.

The Partenopei and the Rossoneri were thought to be at each other's necks to get to the Doria midfielder, but it seems a new contender is now in pole.

According to Il Mattino, Juventus have notified President Massimo Ferrero that they'd be willing to offer €15m for Soriano.

The sum substantially exceeds the €10m clause that would have to be settled to rescind Soriano's contract, and possibly exceeds the amount that Napoli and Milan may be willing to offer.

I have a question: if there is a €10m clause that would allow Soriano to rescind the contract, what's the point of a price-bidding? The club of Sampdoria shouldn't have much say in it, no?