Summer Mercato 2016
I am one of those surprised that Honda isn't linked with an exit. If he stays, he'll be useful, but I think we need higher quality players instead. The problem with him is that I just don't know where he fits. Naturally, I think his best position should he a RCM, but no Coach has used him there ever since he's been at Milan. I just don't see him as a winger/wide player. Unable to take his man on, no injection of pace, very predictable.
I am indifferent with Honda staying or leaving. I think he has a very good attitude and work ethic, and can be useful at times. Plus, he is making a lot of revenue from Japan.
http://www.football-italia.net/88902/mil...lj-meeting

Aparently Badelj had meeting with plague. Now it's speculated around 10M.

http://www.football-italia.net/88890/milan-want-isco

Also ,Real is willing to sell Isco. But if new owner don't donate some money now his arival may mean Bacca is out to collect funds for Isco.
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
Just saw Badelj's video on youtube, he is a defensive mid? He can easily walk in and take Montolivo'place playing in front of the defence, very confidence with the ball, nice short passing/distribution, and most importantly wont easily lose the ball.
Did you mean this video clip? I am very impressed with his confidence too. Very calm with the ball. I agree that he would just walk into our first team. Okmilan  

No I randomly picked one clip, he doesnt look like defensive mid to me with that kind of ball control. Should ve spent Lapadula's money on him instead Sleepy
Let's not give up on Lapadula just yet. Wink I haven't got a chance to see him in a Milan jersey, not even one minute.

Did he play against Bordeaux? That was the only one I missed this summer, but I know that he missed all three in the US.

My hope is that Lapadula will turn out to be a Di Natale or Toni. Am I being greedy? Big Grin Big Grin
Edysim, Badelj is a deep lying playmaker (or regista), closer to Pirlo than Ambrosini for example. He's technically very gifted, has a good reading of the game, good in tight spaces and will move the ball in the team to start attacks. I really like the guy, I think he's a very good player so won't complain if he comes particularly, but there's a couple of things I'm very hesitant on.

First, on a general point and one being discussed in the Gustavo Gomez thread, where would the supposed money come from? I read from some places that we have 15m this market, others say it's already spent to get Lapadula and Gomez. Yet, apparently we're somehow going to get Badelj, Isco, Zaza, Cuadrado and Musacchio if stories are to be believed. More realistic is we see maybe a couple of those names come, like Badelj and Cuadrado, in which case maybe we do have 15m and Cuadrado can come if we can do something about Bacca (apparently he's rejected West Ham again). At this point I have more questions than answers about this mercato, I'm a little uneasy as a result as I have no clue what's actually going on. Maybe we can dream, but I actually think those who do this summer will get burned.

Second, even if there's some sort of resource to buy players (presumably the 15m and Bacca sale money), I'm not actually sure or understand what the plan is at this point. Badelj is very good (he'll walk into the side), but there's so much building to be done in this squad that I don't really understand what we're working towards. Not just with Badelj, but also with Cuadrado, they're purchases that will improve us without a doubt, but at 27 and 28 respectively they're short term solutions in a project where we need to be building foundations for the future and within a couple of years, we'll have to already consider replacing them. If you're buying players at that age, I'd want players who will instantly raise the team to help us achieve short term targets. If we were aiming for a scudetto or CL and these guys could give the boost we need, then by all means they might seem like good purchases. However, as we are, where we realistically need to reinforce at least 6 positions in the team, they won't be able to give the boost we might hope for.

My view is we need to focus on the foundations first and foremost. I've been touting Paredes and Berardi for a long time and this is exactly why. Paredes for me has a very similar skillset to Badelj, and while not as mature he's 5 years younger and imo has signficantly more potential. Berardi has different qualities to Cuadrado, but I think is set to be a star in Italian football in the not too distant future. Both these guys are pretty much of the same generation as Romagnoli, DES, Gomez, Niang, Suso et al. They're players that I would see as playing a part in the spine we're building to be extremely competitive in a couple of years when that generation matures and hopefully hits its potential. I would much rather where possible we build that group.

To that, when we have money in January and next summer, I'd then like to add the big names that are more mature and can help this team make the leap forward. However, that still isn't to say I'd be looking at 28 year olds, I'd be looking at 24-26 year olds. A guy like Isco is ideal, good qualities, been playing at the highest level with lots of responsibility for a long time now, plays a role we're lacking in and would instantly improve on one of our weaknesses. Note that Badelj isn't actually much older than that age group, but I don't think he's of the same quality as the likes of Isco.

Thing is, I see Badelj and I think he's a guy I'd like, but I don't understand why he's our immediate target when you have Paredes also available on the market who imo would be of more value in a longer term project.

Cuadrado is maybe less difficult to understand, as perhaps Suso can mature in peace for a year or two before he can look to take over in the future. However, when I see a guy like Berardi, he's incredibly tempting to build around and would become part of what should eventually be an Italian core to our side with the likes of Donnarumma, DES, Romagnoli and hopefully Locatelli and Calabria (or maybe those who have shown some promise like Zanellato and Felicioli). I've talked about in the past what I think the value of having a core like that is, especially as most of them are homegrown.

Ultimately, I would like to see us building towards a medium term project, as in the next year or so I don't see us being that competitive. Not to say I want to write off this season, but just accept it's still a year of transition. Actually, I think we'll only really see the fruits of the work that was started last summer (yes, I believe that some right decisions were made by Silvio and Galliani) in season 2017/18 and I think we can aim to build a winning cycle starting in 2018/19.

Edit: Xu, Lapadula hasn't played yet.
Badelj at 27 for 10-12 mil is a great pickup. He still has at least 4-5 good years, if not more looking at the position he occupies. I'd say that's medium term planning. This is also coming from someone that reapply appreciates Paredes. The other thing about Paredes is that Roma seems to want more than 20mil for him. I'm not saying he is not worth it or that it's not a good investment, but sometimes decisions like this have to be made. Do you spend 10mil on a proven holder like Badelj that will be serviceable for at least 5 years like I said.... or do you spend 20+ mil young player with potential, who by the way was an attaching mid/wing until a year ago and we have only 1 year of "data" of him as a "regista".

I'm not saying either decision is right or wrong. Just saying that it can be seen both ways.

About Cuadrado-Berardi thing....I more or less agree. I'd rather us go for Berardi too, but they are different players so it depends on what the team/Coach needs.
Honestly I would go for what I consider a calculated risk with a potentially bigger upside. I like Badelj, but if I'm honest I consider him a top EL player or one who could be a part of a competitive CL squad, but not as a starter. Paredes IMO can surpass that.

Badelj at 27 now is likely to be the the best he can be, even if he can go on into his 30s, I don't he'll be of the very highest level. That would mean if we have ambition to win CL, we would need another player, which I think we need to try and avoid