Summer Mercato 2016
It won't be easy, but it's not unrealistic. We are not talking about Hazard, Vidal, James here.

Boufal should be attainable if you are willing to put up the cash. Last March, people would have said there is absolutely no chance we are going to get Bacca. But look.....30 mil on the table and you can have him.

Kovacic may be the most unrealistic out of those players because Real paid 35mil for him and even though he hasn't played too much I don't think he'd lost his value a lot. They won't let him go for less than 30 and I just think there is better options for that kind of money.

Boufal is realistic, and he would accept Milan in a heartbeat......the question is will we pay.

Oliver had a good year at Porto last season but he has hardly been an integral part of this Atletico team. He is yet to play 90 minutes in La Liga this year and I believe he's only started 7 games or so. Also, since the turn of the year he's only appeared in 6 games and the last 3 he played he was only on the field for 15, 2, 11 minutes each. He was not even in the squad for 5 games since the new year (and I can't find any injury info and don't remember reading anything so I don't think he was injured) and was on the bench for 3 without making an appearance. Most of his minutes this year came in the beginning of the year but slowly he has been marginalized and as the year has gone on he has been less and less relevant in their squad.
So he is not unrealistic at all. I don't even think money will be a problem in his eventual transfer. I don't expect him to go for more than 25mil or so. The biggest block for us will be the interest he may attract. But this is why you move early and quietly.

But I agree with you that the summer won't be as good as we all want it to be (and the club needs it to be). I can see us bringing in Vazquez and making him the "big money" move, but that won't solve our midfield issues. Most of the blame will be put on the coach and we will get a new one while talking about HE is the biggest signing of the summer and our team is competitive, we have quality, etc.

EDIT: By the way, I meant to write about this and forgot until I saw the Russia 2018 thread. Lucas Lima entered Brazil's game last night during the second half and I gotta say....what a player. He's got great pace on the ball, is able to take on players, works hard and I was very pleasantly surprised at his vision ability to pass the ball. I remember us being linked to him....I wonder if we are still keeping an eye on him.
FWIW:

Axel Witsel may turn down Juventus, Milan and Manchester City to reunite with Spalletti at Roma.
That's ok.

Rumors also about Atletico interested in Bacca.
I think its pretty clear Bacca will be sold.Romagnoli Donnarumma Bonaventura prob wont, unless a huge offer comes in from Donnarumma.Im talking €40m and thats pretty huge for a 17 yr old.Some will disagree with me but with the finances the way they are and with there being no new investor sales will happen.
Looking forward to yet another disappointing transfer window... We're in a downward spiral. Dodgy
(03-30-2016, 03:04 PM)nefremo Wrote: EDIT: By the way, I meant to write about this and forgot until I saw the Russia 2018 thread. Lucas Lima entered Brazil's game last night during the second half and I gotta say....what a player. He's got great pace on the ball, is able to take on players, works hard and I was very pleasantly surprised at his vision ability to pass the ball. I remember us being linked to him....I wonder if we are still keeping an eye on him.

Funny you mention him, as he was one I suggested for midfield last summer, but I can't say I've followed him recently (last few months or so).
(03-31-2016, 09:18 AM)Jay Crisp Wrote: I think its pretty clear Bacca will be sold.Romagnoli Donnarumma Bonaventura prob wont, unless a huge offer comes in from Donnarumma.Im talking €40m and thats pretty huge for a 17 yr old.Some will disagree with me but with the finances the way they are and with there being no new investor sales will happen.

If we get more than $40m for the kid and use that money for 2 good MFs then I'm all for it
From Gazzetta, quoting Berlusconi

“Donnarumma will not be sold, he will be Milan’s goalkeeper for the next 15 years,” he told Radio Radio.
(03-31-2016, 08:39 PM)reza Wrote: From Gazzetta, quoting Berlusconi

“Donnarumma will not be sold, he will be Milan’s goalkeeper for the next 15 years,” he told Radio Radio.

Bye Donnaruma Sad
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
Sheldon, there are certain players we can sell for big money and reinvest the money. Selling our 17yr old GK is not the answer. Even though 40mil is huge for a 17 year old, we have to start acting like Milan at some point. Donnarumma should have no price, period. If we sell him and let's say we reinvest the money (which is a big question mark in itself), than what? What if we don't make the CL again and record more losses again next year? We sell those 2 modfielders too? Romagnoli? Bonaventura? Who's next...

Also, 40mil for a 17 year old is a lot of money....but 40mil in itself is not a lot of money. We have to forget the fact that it was paid for a 17yr old and look at what it can get us. Not sure if the trade off is worth it.

There should be players (Donnarumma and Romagnoli most notably) that are unsellable. At any price! We build on that and keep improving.

You may say that Juventus will do the same thing with Pogba....but it's not the same thing. 100mil is a totally different sum and their squad is very well set. They'll move a step or two forward by reinvesting the money. We on the other hand won't.

If we want to get the respect back from the world we have to start acting like a big club. The road back to greatness will probably be long. But I don't thing it requires selling the best young players.