Summer Mercato 2016
Pretty sure Iniesta was an example Mathias brought up as an example of a world class player, not because of any similarities. I also meant the same, he wouldn't have an Iniesta type impact but he would be good.
Yeah that's fair enough Reza, I did understand that from your posts, but I can see how my post wouldn't make that clear.
Just out of interest, what do people think of the current rumours going around? Basically, there's been a lot of talk of selling Bacca, with Pavoletti, Paredes and Vazquez linked quite strongly. There's been more tentative links, such as Mustafi or Benatia, but I'm taking them with a grain of salt at the moment, same as names like Giaccherini, Baselli and Immobile, players named the odd time and then not really again.

On selling Bacca, I'm leaning towards keeping him, I think he's shown that as a goalscorer it's difficult for us to get an improvement. His lack of overall game is a problem, but something I can accept when I know he can guarantee goals. However, if he was sold at a decent sum (I'm hearing the club want a minimum of 26m), I could make my peace with it comfortably enough. His goals are of great value, but as mentioned before his weakness in the build up and his attitude through the season was at times frustrating, if not outright disrespectful.

The problem is if he's sold, it looks like Pavoletti would be his replacement. I'm have major doubts Pavoletti has the quality to lead the line for a club with European ambitions, but I'm probably in the minority in that I don't actually mind the guy, whereas I'm pretty sure most consider him a joke of a transfer. I'm not for getting him for 25m as said in the press, at the very most 15m is his value, and even then that seems high. However, I do think he's the best Italian goalscorer around today. He's not got the mobility of Zaza or Immobile and in all honesty Pelle's is probably technically better, but Pavoletti is a hardworking, powerful and difficult center forward to deal with. The thing is, the guy might be seen as a bit of a joke, but his goalscoring record is better than any other Italian forward in circulation. That isn't just this season either, he's been delivering for a good few years now, just that for whatever reason he's never been hyped. What I don't understand is why a guy like Lapadula is suddenly seen as ready for every major club in Italy, but Pavoletti is barely acceptable for a team like Genoa. Personally I've followed the guy for a few years now and honestly thought years ago that he'd be a nice addition as a backup forward (back when he played at Varese). To reiterate, I'm not sure he's good enough if we have high ambition, but if he was to come, I wouldn't write him off immediately. Here's an interesting article on the guy:

https://www.whoscored.com/News/msxyzipgb...-Spotlight

On Vazquez, I'm on board with him coming. With the right set up and coach I think he's the best playmaker in Italy (not to say there's a lot of competition). His technical ability is not in question, he would immediately improve the technical quality of the side if he was to come, but I also think that he could flourish under Giampaolo, who now seems favourite to join. Even under Brocchi, I see him being a player that would be a success. Technical quality and creativity aside, I think the thing is he's at the right moment to take a step up and play a leading role in a big club, plus he's undervalued in terms of his workrate and tracking back by many. However, what I like about him is a bit like Pavoletti, there's no real arrogance to him and his attitude. As those who read my posts know, I want a focus on getting people with the right personality at Milan, and while Vazquez plays with a little bit of arrogance when you see the tricks he pulls off, he's known for being quite reserved and quiet as a person.

Finally on Paredes, there's rumours Roma are prepared to sell for the right amount (they want 15m apparently), Milan are after him because of Giampaolo and he's apparently keen on staying in Italy despite strong interest from Spurs and Liverpool. Not sure if people remember, but I actually asked opinions on him back in February when Gazzetta named him the best young talent in Italy (or something like that). Since then I've followed him much more closely and am hugely impressed by him. His technical ability impresses me huge amounts, I think coming in he would, like Vazquez, instantly raise the technical quality of the midfield. However, as a regista there's a few qualities of his I adore. First his is ability to play in tight spaces, the number of times I see him surrounded by players and simply dribble out or turn out of tight spots is really impressive. Then there's the way he plays, usually short, vertical passes, which fits perfectly with ideas I shared in the tactics and theorem thread. He also has the ability to pick and play passes quickly, he doesn't take long on the ball and distributes quickly and efficiently. Note that all these qualities are also weaknesses we've seen with Montolivo in the past year. Finally, a bit like Montolivo, he's actually effective defensively, not as good as Montolivo, but it's still one of his strengths. Basically, I'd take this guy if possible regardless of Giampaolo coming in. If Giampaolo does come in, all the better as Paredes should slot in naturally. Actually, I think Empoli's improvements this season is partly down to them getting a good upgrade in the regista role. Under Sarri, Valdifiori flourished, but I think Paredes is an improvement in pretty much every way.

I won't go into the other names I mentioned, I wanted to focus on those that seem to be linked most strongly at this point. It feels like doom and gloom regarding transfers for Milan, but if Vazquez and Paredes were to come, my excitement and interest in this summer would instantly be much, much more positive.
Giampaolo deserves credit for Paredes. Paredes was an attacking midfielder/winger in Boca and was mostly known for his great shooting ability. He came to Italy as an attacking midfielder, not a regista. I've watched the player since his Boca days and honestly never saw a regista in him. Boy was I wrong because he just had a spectacular season in that role and has perfectly adapted his abilities to fit that role. Te fact is that everything you said about him is true Dev. But like I said, Giampaolo deserves credit for it all.
You know what, worst case scenario is that we don't sell and we buy these "crap" players. However after reading ACMILAN1983 and Nefremo's post, I actually don't mind getting these players to be honest. These guys require money to get (maybe 60 million total over the mercato), but they aren't all too bad.

They've seem to flourish under their coaches, and I'm sure the mentality is better then most of the Milan players. With the right core, (Donna, Abate, Romagnoli, DES, Antonelli, Mauri, Bonaventura, and maybe Bacca), and adding players like Paredes, Vasquez, Pavoletti, and Saponara, I feel like we might have a better team than last season.

Still, I'm just trying to find a silver lining in this whole thing, as my hopes are that a sale will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rumours on Paredes are growing, he's now been linked in a swap deal for El Shaarawy, as both players have a similar valuation, but Roma need to be careful on spending. I'm all for it if it happens.

http://www.football-italia.net/86070/el-...edes-milan
me too, if they want to swap fine by me, the pharaoh might just have a hit wonder with roma imo.
These growing rumors of Vazquez, Saponara, and Paredes might actually give Milan a push for top 5 actually if we can sign them. Sign us a quality CB (someone like Acerbi maybe might even do us some good as he's had a great season last year), and we'll definitely be top 5 contenders. However as much as I hate to say it, if Bacca goes, Menez should stay. He was a guaranteed goal scorer two seasons ago, and he's recovering from his injury and I think he can be beneficial for us. Also, Brocchi definitely needs to go. I think Giampolo is a good choice for us.

Oh man, how the mighty have fallen, lol. I can't believe Milan management has reduced us fans to this. I mean, actually finding silver lining in signing Pavoletti? That was unthinkable even a few years ago. jkjk

In all seriousness, I agree that Pavoletti, Paredes, Saponara and Vazquez would improve the team, but i don't think they will make significant impact for us. I think we always need to be careful with signing star players from smaller teams, because the role and system they will play here will be drastically different. Bertolacci was one of the finest midfielders in Serie A two years ago at Genoa. And he did absolutely nothing here last year. Part of the issue with Berto is that he was the focal point on Genoa. He was the guy that every offensive possession ran through and he had the freedom to do what he wanted, ran where he wanted to and had everyone around him working for him. At Milan, he was merely one of the guys in the midfield who had to different things and play in a different formation. Would Saponara and Vazquez be as disruptive on offense when they don't get the ball every possession? Can they still maintain their effectiveness when they need to also track back and help out on defense? Can they be effective when they do not have the entire field to make their runs? To me, those are difficult questions to answer, and that gives me pause on spending money and signing those guys.

The only players I want from smaller teams are young players who has upside. That is why I really want Paredes. I think he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and has proven to be able to adapt his game to different roles and surroundings. And, most importantly, at such a young age, he has room to grow and get even better. Guys like Pavoletti and Vazquez have peaked, and if they can't help you right now, then they never will.

On the selling front, I don't mind selling Bacca, but if we are looking at Immobile and Pavoletti to replace him, we're just going to start regretting it in a few games. Yes, Bacca has his limitations, and Pavoletti can help out more on offensive build up. But the finishing ability isn't even close. Players like Bacca needs to be built around, not ditched at first chance because he doesn't dribble as well as some others. Robinho was a great dribbler, and I don't think any of us is itching to get him back.
(06-20-2016, 03:17 PM)PerSempre Wrote: These growing rumors of Vazquez, Saponara, and Paredes might actually give Milan a push for top 5 actually if we can sign them. Sign us a quality CB (someone like Acerbi maybe might even do us some good as he's had a great season last year), and we'll definitely be top 5 contenders. However as much as I hate to say it, if Bacca goes, Menez should stay. He was a guaranteed goal scorer two seasons ago, and he's recovering from his injury and I think he can be beneficial for us. Also, Brocchi definitely needs to go. I think Giampolo is a good choice for us.

Bacca stays or not, Menez must leave.