Matchday 3: Milan - Udinese (Sunday, September 11th - 15:00 CET)
International break is over! Let's get back to the real stuff. It's early on in the season and I know that we haven't reinforced as everyone would like, but it is important to try our best to keep pace with the European places so that we can make some signings in January for our last major push.

There were some stupid red cards in the last game so we'll be without key players for this one. Squad news and further information to be provided as it trickles in.

FORZA MILAN!
Siamo a posto cosi.
Thanks Mystik!! Looking forward to this game.
I am hoping for a convincing victory (or just a victory), but worried about the possible absences due to injury and suspension. Sad
I'll take the 3 points, however they may come.
According to Gazzetta....

Donnarumma - Abate, Paletta, Romagnoli, MDS - Montolivo, Sosa, Poli - Suso, Bacca, Bonaventura

I would rather see Honda instead of Poli, and what about Pasalic?....he's gotta be better than Poli, right? Big Grin

Either way, I saw Udinese against Roma in the first round. They were actually pretty solid, despite the score. They are a danger on the counter and almost caught Roma out a few times. Had it not been for the 2 penalties in the second half....this game game could have easily been 0-0 and as a matter of fact, that's what it looked like it was going to end up until the first PK 65mins in.

Rodrigo De Paul was dangerous for Udinese. I would say their most dangerous player up top, but he made some bad decision when it mattered most. Zapata was the same old Zapata....big and physical, but didn't get too much in front of goal.

The player that impressed me the most was Fofana. Very interesting player and seems to be a very good box-to-box midfielder. He is definitely worth keeping an eye out for....and if he keeps doing the things he did against Roma, I have a feeling he will be hot property at the end of the season.

In any case.......This is a winnable game for us. We do have more quality than Udinese and these are precisely the types of games that we should be winning.

I would like to see Pasalic and Lapadula in this game at some point.
Quote:Milan are decimated by bans and injuries as they host a revitalised Udinese, but history is on their side in this fixture.

Vincenzo Montella’s men are a work in progress, with goals aplenty at both ends of the pitch. The Rossoneri have scored five but conceded six in the opening two weeks of the domestic campaign.

The hosts can consider themselves fortunate to have picked up a victory on the opening day of the season, owing much to the heroics of young stopper Gigio Donnarumma. However, the recent 4-2 defeat against Napoli showed the defensive frailties of last season have remained.

Montella has much to ponder and must give special consideration to who will partner Alessio Romagnoli at the heart of defence.

Both Gabriel Paletta and Gustavo Gomez have featured and neither have convinced. Gomez is of similar age to Romagnoli and this was telling against Napoli, as both struggled without a senior figure beside them. Cristian Zapata would bring an athletic and commanding presence, but he remains absent through injury.

Summer signing Gianluca Lapadula should come in to contention for a starting berth, following the dismissal of M’Baye Niang at the San Paolo. Similarly, Jose Sosa will hope to replace the suspended Juraj Kucka and show the form which earned him a transfer from Besiktas.

On the injury front, Andrea Poli and Andrea Bertolacci remain on the treatment table, while Mati Fernandez will need to be assessed following a knock on International duty.

For the visitors, opposite number Giuseppe Iachini will be cautiously optimistic. The Zebrette have found their feet following the opening day mauling at the hands of Roma, picking up a league win against Empoli and a friendly victory over Olimpia Ljubljana.

Iachini has selection dilemmas of his own, with Stipe Perica pushing for inclusion. The Croatian forward opened his account for the season against Empoli, but will most likely have to settle for a spot on the bench, as Duvan Zapata leads the line with Cyril Thereau finally returning from suspension.

Belgian midfielder Sven Kums will also come in to the reckoning and will target his competitive debut. On the whole, Iachini should be pleased with the growing competition amongst his squad.

The Udine natives lost Samir to injury during their friendly last week, while Davide Faraoni and Thomas Heurtaux are still sidelined.

Keep an eye on: Carlos Bacca (Milan) – The Colombian sharpshooter has started the season in red hot form and will look to build on his opening day exploits. Statistically, Bacca will at the very least test the ‘keeper and, provided the service is received, the goals should flow. This game also provides an intriguing battle with his fellow Colombian Duvan Zapata.

Form Guide: Milan (L W - - -) Udinese (W L - - -)

Last season: Milan 1-1 Udinese

Stat Fact: Udinese have not beaten Milan at San Siro in Serie A since a 3-2 thriller in May 2007, managing just three draws and six defeats. There were two Coppa Italia victories here in 2010 and 2014.

Top Tip: Expect goals. Both teams to score and Milan to emerge the victor. 

Milan (probable): Donnarumma; Abate, Gomez, Romagnoli, De Sciglio; Soza Montolivo, Bonaventura; Suso, Bacca, Lapadula

Suspended: Niang, Kucka

Udinese (probable): Karnezis; Widmer, Felipe, Danilo, Armero; Badu, Kone, Fofana, De Paul; Duvan Zapata, Thereau

Suspended: None

Words: Nick Valerio

- Football Italia
Siamo a posto cosi.
Is it just me or is the form guide showing the results the wrong way round?
Lol very wrong. We won our first game and lost the second. We've already discussed the competence of journalism in this technological age - there's no time to proofread and double-check anything.
Siamo a posto cosi.
Curva Sud to display FDL and Brigate Rossonero banners today. Will be pretty nostalgic to see the lion flying at San siro again.
AC Milan starting XI:

Donnarumma; Abate, Paletta, Romagnoli, Antonelli; Poli, Montolivo, Sosa; Suso, Bonaventura, Bacca

Subs:

Gabriel, Plizzari, De Sciglio, L. Adriano, Lapadula, Honda, Gomez, Vangioni, Locatelli, Pasalic, Calabria

Udinese starting XI:

Karnezis, Widmer, Danilo, Felipe, Armero, Badu, Kums, Hallfredsson, De Paul, Thereau, Zapata

Subs:

Scuffet, Wague, Angella, Fofana, Penaranda, Jankto, Perica, Matos, Kone, Ali Adnan, Ewandro, Balic
Siamo a posto cosi.