Milan vs Roma
If we change to 2 strikers formation,
We only have higuain, cutrone, and borini (if he's considered as a striker)
2 strikers only work if the enemies want to defend the lead, or aiming for a draw
And if one of them are injured, you sure you want borini as our striker?Devilol

4-2-3-1 on the other hand...
With hakan / even casti to fill the CAM role
I only started watching the game from around 85 minutes and was thinking why we played pretty open and tried hard to score. I thought Roma were better and we were very lucky to win the game. After watching the replay of first half of the game, I was convinced we deserved to win although the sudden change of our play quality vs Napoli still haunted me.

I was fully enjoyed watching the replay especially the first half. We were just great at controlling the game but still lacked of goals.

Notes from this game that could be improved:
1. We did not look comfortably to play our game when Roma changed their formation and tried to play high to put more pressure on our defense but we managed to overcome such problem.
2. We were able to come back after 'lucky' goal from Roma but the referee's decision to disallow Higuain's goal seemed affecting our emotional feeling and furthermore our focus on the effort to make goals.
3. After Castilejo came in followed by Cutrone, our defense looked weakened.

Point 1 and 2 are related with the morale of the players, just like vs Napoli after we conceded the first goal. Players' stamina played significant role on point 3 since we owned the game in the first half with almost the entire game many players went forward to attack and back to help the defense. In addition, it was raining and our players had to put more effort to play the game. Not to mention that we played with two striker and two very offensive wings leaving only Biglia and Kessie who were exhausted in the midfield.

Overall, absolutely a great game from our players. The scoresheet does not reflect how the game was going on. This what we need form Milan to compete with others for CL spot. The three points hopefully boost our players' confidence.
"When Costacurta and Maldini won they didn't celebrate much. They were thinking about winning the next game" - Alessandro Nesta
There's no doubt we have the talent to challenge for CL maybe even the title, a lot of what we achieve this season will be mentality at this point. We have a very young extremely talented group with bags of potential. If Calhanoglu, Cutrone, Suso, Donnarumma, Romagonli, Kessie & Calabria fulfill even 50% of the room for growth I still see in them we could dominate Serie A. Unfortunately, there's no rushing that potential because they need experience and that takes time.

The main reason for optimism in hoping these players will improve is the fact that legends like Kaka, Leonardo & Maldini put the pressure on them to train and play their hearts out, while also being a guiding force when/if there are any hiccups. Gattuso's strong attitude combined with a top player like Higuain in our squad, there are many reasons for our existing players from last season to do what we expected of them this time around.

Following that premise, it's another reason why I wasn't very disappointed that we stopped signing players. I think our existing players will see huge improvements this year & the change in management was perhaps more important than the top midfielder we missed out on. Other than that, we covered our other weaknesses quite well. We brought in a world class striker & buying Laxalt/Castillejo added that speed & directness that we lacked and desperately needed for certain matches.

I have to add that I was impressed with both the Napoli & Roma game. The Napoli game was our first match, and I think that had a role to play in falling apart in the later stages of the game. We lacked energy & ideas, in a match that we seemed to have closed out in the first half. Against Roma, a loss in concentration almost cost us points but I was thoroughly impressed with our first half. Roma looked completely dumbfounded in the 1st half, barely able to make a pass in possession. Let's not forget that we faced two very strong clubs in our first two matches. I'm looking forward to facing lesser opposition.
I won't put Milan as tittle contender. As you have mentioned, our problem would be the mentality. Mental strength is not easy to build up or improve, it will increase with experience from ton of games especially the decisive ones. We are still in the phase of learning how to deal with all problems related to our games, which should mean there would be mistakes and errors made by our players (lost of Serie A points). Players like Higuian and Reina hopefully could help this young team grow and develop. This season could be the reference for next season target (Scudetto or not).
"When Costacurta and Maldini won they didn't celebrate much. They were thinking about winning the next game" - Alessandro Nesta
I think more important than Higuain & Reina though is the management. Maldini, Gattuso, Leonardo & Kaka will have a huge influence on this group.
(09-02-2018, 01:43 AM)WCmilan Wrote: There's no doubt we have the talent to challenge for CL maybe even the title, a lot of what we achieve this season will be mentality at this point. We have a very young extremely talented group with bags of potential. If Calhanoglu, Cutrone, Suso, Donnarumma, Romagonli, Kessie & Calabria fulfill even 50% of the room for growth I still see in them we could dominate Serie A. Unfortunately, there's no rushing that potential because they need experience and that takes time.

Exactly. We have a talented squad, but given that we tend to have 5-6 players under 25 in our starting 11 there will be ups and downs as well, and costly mistakes will be made. There are lots of positives from our two matches so far. We outplayed Napoli for a long time in our first match, and would have won if we had managed to keep our heads cool. Against Roma we played even better in the first half, but almost threw the result away again. Pretty typical stuff for young, inexperienced players. But once these players really hit their stride in their mid-to-late 20s, we will definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

That's not to say I am preparing for another terrible season this year. After Gattuso took over our points average would have been good enough for CL qualification last season, from what I have read. If we can improve on what we did last year, and it seems like we can, we will definitely be competing for a top four finish.
An excellent analysis of how good we were tactically in this match, especially how well Gattuso has prepared the team. https://twitter.com/Olla_Alessandro/stat...6663824389
(09-05-2018, 07:00 AM)somedevil Wrote: An excellent analysis of how good we were tactically in this match, especially how well Gattuso has prepared the team. https://twitter.com/Olla_Alessandro/stat...6663824389

So this fella is doing tactical analysis of every Milan game and in the end Gattuso will be a tactical genius regardless of the results Devilol 

I say let's wait at least a few more games before we start the Gattuso d**ksucking fest.
Well ,in this analysis at least there is some truth. But one for previous game was just hilarious... But in general guy is biased as hell...
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.