Cagliari vs. Milan 9/16/18
I have said this before and I say it again. Sell suso. He has only one play. Cut inside and go for goal.

He has become Menez version 2
AC MILAN
(09-17-2018, 04:29 AM)edysim Wrote: Btw, Barella stood out among others as well as the goalie.

At 92min I was hoping Cutrone to score.. Sad

Cragno is one of the most highly rated young Italian keeper's at the moment, so no surprise he did well.

I think there's a few problems that need ironing out. I agree with both Gattuso and Maldini that mentally the team must have more confidence in itself. There are times we can do something great and we don't take the chance, instead playing an easy pass in front of an opposing defence when we should be looking to take an opportunity to take the risk to make the final attempt or killer pass earlier.

In addition to this, the personality isn't quite there yet, it's a team that doesn't seem to understand that if they play to their level, on their day they're capable of winning against anyone in the league (we won't have the consistency of Juve, but we can play on par with them if we play to our potential). The biggest issue is the team lacks confidence when put under pressure. They drop deep and let the opposition dictate the game rather than to push back and fight for control.

The other issue I have with the side is we're becoming Hakan dependent. Cagliari gave him no space to work and with our other two creative players (Suso and Bonaventura) not performing well or consistently, it becomes more straight forward to stop our attacking threat. This has meant Higuain is having to drop deep too frequently to give another option in the build up, which is what we need to avoid. Again, with Bakayoko and Castillejo showing positive signals yesterday, I think we may see a change in how we lineup going forward. The EL test might be important in this regard, I think Gattuso will start them (and Caldara and Laxalt) to give them a test from the start.

That said, I'm feeling better about this side than I did about Montella's side last year around this time, we seem to be doing a better job in finding our identity and style of play. However, we need a few positive results to build a little confidence and we need to cut out the stupid mistakes which is why we concede every game. We have a tough game vs Atalanta next (not counting EL) and it's important to get a win. They've not been at their best of late, so there's no reason we can't win.

On Cagliari, it seems they might be an awkward outfit to face this year, they've beaten Atalanta and honestly should have beaten Sassuolo before that. Under Maran they seem to be developing a good mentality and could cause a few surprises if last night was an indicator.
(09-17-2018, 02:00 AM)edysim Wrote: Drop Suso, and play someone else on the right wing. His decision makin was frustating to see, just send every balls in, you have HIGUAIN there to finish it off!

yep, suso is playing on old credit. he is selfish, bad decision making, predictable. Castilleo has to start there. 

-----------------------------------reina-------------------------------------------

----calabria------------------roma----caldara----------------------laxalt-----

--------------------------baka-------kessie--------------------------------------

-----------castileo-----------hakan------------jack-----------------------------

-------------------------------higuain---------------------------------------------
(09-17-2018, 10:25 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Cragno is one of the most highly rated young Italian keeper's at the moment, so no surprise he did well.

I think there's a few problems that need ironing out. I agree with both Gattuso and Maldini that mentally the team must have more confidence in itself. There are times we can do something great and we don't take the chance, instead playing an easy pass in front of an opposing defence when we should be looking to take an opportunity to take the risk to make the final attempt or killer pass earlier.

In addition to this, the personality isn't quite there yet, it's a team that doesn't seem to understand that if they play to their level, on their day they're capable of winning against anyone in the league (we won't have the consistency of Juve, but we can play on par with them if we play to our potential). The biggest issue is the team lacks confidence when put under pressure. They drop deep and let the opposition dictate the game rather than to push back and fight for control.

The other issue I have with the side is we're becoming Hakan dependent. Cagliari gave him no space to work and with our other two creative players (Suso and Bonaventura) not performing well or consistently, it becomes more straight forward to stop our attacking threat. This has meant Higuain is having to drop deep too frequently to give another option in the build up, which is what we need to avoid. Again, with Bakayoko and Castillejo showing positive signals yesterday, I think we may see a change in how we lineup going forward. The EL test might be important in this regard, I think Gattuso will start them (and Caldara and Laxalt) to give them a test from the start.

That said, I'm feeling better about this side than I did about Montella's side last year around this time, we seem to be doing a better job in finding our identity and style of play. However, we need a few positive results to build a little confidence and we need to cut out the stupid mistakes which is why we concede every game. We have a tough game vs Atalanta next (not counting EL) and it's important to get a win. They've not been at their best of late, so there's no reason we can't win.

On Cagliari, it seems they might be an awkward outfit to face this year, they've beaten Atalanta and honestly should have beaten Sassuolo before that. Under Maran they seem to be developing a good mentality and could cause a few surprises if last night was an indicator.

You already said what we lacked of from our last game but what could Gattuso do to overcome those issues? You have mentioned that we are dependent on Hakan, Suso and Jack but all of them were underperformed. We should have plan B to reduce the effect of their poor forms, no?

We could clearly see when Bakayoko came in, our threat dropped considerably in PK area, leaving only Higuain there. Bayoko looked vey careful with his play. Samu needs to give more, not only playing as pure winger, he should offer more. At the last minute of the game he finally cut into the PK area, he and/or Bakayoko should do this earlier (more often). On the other hand, Suso IMO did not play so poor, he actually created some chances but with only Higuain in penalty box, he should play more creatively, we already know in the last 15 minutes, his tries would not work since they all were similar attempts, how could we expect different result.

I really would like us to play 4231 as alternative to reduce our dependence on certain players. Actually as someone said (I forgot where), I would like to see more two-striker formation (442) with Higuain and Cutrone when we really needs goals or increase our attack but we do not have altreantive to use this formation.

The bold part, our team have been certainly much better, it is no doubt, I wonder you brought this. We had chances but as the problems you already described in your first paragraphs. Like you said, the team have potential to play at top level if they manage while with Montella we did not see the sign of such expetation.
"When Costacurta and Maldini won they didn't celebrate much. They were thinking about winning the next game" - Alessandro Nesta
I thought Caldara would have been the preferred choice for this one because of his physicality and aerial dominance. He would have been the right player to mark Pavoletti. Still, I think Roma and Musacchio did well. Musacchio especially had a couple of great interventions 1v1 in the second half where he was the last man and had a player running straight at him.

Suso at the moment is the most frustrating player to watch. I don't know why he's retaining his place week in week out. The fact that we have a ready replacement for him in Castillejo makes everything even more frustrating.

Bonaventura doesn't do much of the midfield work, but he makes good runs into the box. Had he scored that one at the back post, he would have been decisive. Still, he is another one whose position should be in question.

It's now been almost a month from the transfer window. I think Gattuso is taking a bit too long to introduce the new players. He is being a bit too cautious. Maybe the fact that Genoa was canceled delayed everything, but it's time that we saw some of these underperforming players replaced for a couple of games and give the others a chance.
(09-17-2018, 12:34 PM)nefremo Wrote: I thought Caldara would have been the preferred choice for this one because of his physicality and aerial dominance. He would have been the right player to mark Pavoletti. Still, I think Roma and Musacchio did well. Musacchio especially had a couple of great interventions 1v1 in the second half where he was the last man and had a player running straight at him.

Suso at the moment is the most frustrating player to watch. I don't know why he's retaining his place week in week out. The fact that we have a ready replacement for him in Castillejo makes everything even more frustrating.

Bonaventura doesn't do much of the midfield work, but he makes good runs into the box. Had he scored that one at the back post, he would have been decisive. Still, he is another one whose position should be in question.

It's now been almost a month from the transfer window. I think Gattuso is taking a bit too long to introduce the new players. He is being a bit too cautious. Maybe the fact that Genoa was canceled delayed everything, but it's time that we saw some of these underperforming players replaced for a couple of games and give the others a chance.

He probably waits until UEFA game or playing at home against mediocre clubs and I can understand the decision. The fixtures we had did not favor the plan to play our new players from the start of the game. Hopefully we could see at least Castilejo on the starting line-up since he is the one that seems most prepared to start.
"When Costacurta and Maldini won they didn't celebrate much. They were thinking about winning the next game" - Alessandro Nesta
(09-17-2018, 12:27 PM)Siregar Wrote: You already said what we lacked of from our last game but what could Gattuso do to overcome those issues? You have mentioned that we are dependent on Hakan, Suso and Jack but all of them were underperformed. We should have plan B to reduce the effect of their poor forms, no?

We could clearly see when Bakayoko came in, our threat dropped considerably in PK area, leaving only Higuain there. Bayoko looked vey careful with his play. Samu needs to give more, not only playing as pure winger, he should offer more. At the last minute of the game he finally cut into the PK area, he and/or Bakayoko should do this earlier (more often). On the other hand, Suso IMO did not play so poor, he actually created some chances but with only Higuain in penalty box, he should play more creatively, we already know in the last 15 minutes, his tries would not work since they all were similar attempts, how could we expect different result.

I really would like us to play 4231 as alternative to reduce our dependence on certain players. Actually as someone said (I forgot where), I would like to see more two-striker formation (442) with Higuain and Cutrone when we really needs goals or increase our attack but we do not have altreantive to use this formation.

The bold part, our team have been certainly much better, it is no doubt, I wonder you brought this. We had chances but as the problems you already described in your first paragraphs. Like you said, the team have potential to play at top level if they manage while with Montella we did not see the sign of such expetation.

I think we do have options off the bench to help manage out of form players. As I said, I think Bakayoko and Castillejo will take the spots as they learn to fit in. Gattuso made it clear they're still adapting and that's why they aren't being used much yet, especially Bakayoko who will take time to adapt. Castillejo I think is already becoming a trusted member of the squad.

I think we need a little patience with the new guys, they've just come in and Bakayoko especially needs time to grow. He doesn't have the inserting runs Bonaventura offers at this point in time, but part of that is that he's working in a new club, new country, new culture and coach. These guy's haven't been here a month yet so let's not rush things with them.

On Suso, I've always said he's talented but the guy has shown no growth in 2 years. If anything, he's trying to force the issue too much because he seems to play too much for himself and plays like he wants to be the star man, rather than working towards the collective goal.

The thing that makes me more convinced this year compared to last was under Montella we saw a regression almost every game, whereas this season there's a consistent level of performance, albeit one which needs lots of work to reduce the errors.