Summer mercato 2021
What are the needs?

How many existing loans can we afford to redeem or pay for? Tomori, Meite, Tonali?
(02-03-2021, 10:41 PM)reza Wrote: What are the needs?

How many existing loans can we afford to redeem or pay for? Tomori, Meite, Tonali?

Realistically we need a good CM for depth, a starting RW, backup LB, and a starting ST unless we think Leao is ready to start. 

Loaned players to redeem
Dalot - 15m(?) that was the last offer I had read
Diaz - 25m
Meite - 8m
Tomori - 28m
Tonali - 15m(plus 10m bonuses which we don't really know what they are. assuming some of it is making UCL)

Lets face it. Tonali will definitely be made permanent. He's done more than enough to deserve the permanent move IMO.

IF we do not sign these guys then we'll also need a backup RB(unless we pick up an extra CB so that we can use Kalulu as backup), backup CAM, depth CB.

We've also got to contend with the fact HAkan has yet to sign. So IF he goes for free then we'll need to sign a starting CAM.

I personally think Dalot has done enough to secure a spot. Just need to find the right price. 15m is fair but can we afford to spend 15m on a depth player? 
I'm not sure Diaz is the right option for CAM. He's done well but not sure he's done well enough.
Meite so far is just another Krunic
Tomori looks quality but 28m is a lot to spend on a CB when we still have other positions to fix.

edit: made some changes due to mixing up the 2 year loan payment vs 1 year loan.
Tonali's loan is 2 years? Where did you read that?
(02-03-2021, 11:04 PM)reza Wrote: Tonali's loan is 2 years? Where did you read that?

The original deal was 10m for a 2 year loan. 15m to make it permanent plus 10m in bonuses. 

i'll try find somewhere more official than my memory. lol

Ok. turns out I mixed things up in my memory. the 10m is spread over 2 years but the loan is for 1 year... according to everything I could find.
(02-03-2021, 10:59 PM)porcho Wrote: Loaned players to redeem
Dalot - 15m(?) that was the last offer I had read
Diaz - 25m
Meite - 8m
Tomori - 28m
Tonali - 15m(plus 10m bonuses which we don't really know what they are. assuming some of it is making UCL)

How many of these are starters? Even in 2022, 2023,etc? Wish we could have so much money for bench but I doubt it is realistic.
(02-04-2021, 12:46 AM)reza Wrote: How many of these are starters? Even in 2022, 2023,etc? Wish we could have so much money for bench but I doubt it is realistic.

Tonali and Possibly Tomori. 

IF Hakan goes then we need better than Diaz to play #10
So the question imo is how many starters do we need? Seeing the team as is now, top of Serie A and playing well, how much of it do we actually need to change?

GK - no
LB - no
RB - no
CB1 - no
CB2 - maybe
CM1 - no
CM2 - no
AM - no
LW - no
RW - yes
CF - no (assuming Ibra stays and Mandzu's deal is extended)

Theoretically, a big team should always look to improve its team if the opportunity arises. But realistically, we have to prioritize.

So then, if we go by the list above, we can invest in a starting RW and get rid of Samu. The rest of the budget can the definitely go towards exercising the loans and making them permanent......of course, assuming those guys perform in the 2nd half and deserve it.

But we are in a situation where we don't need much change in the starting 11. On top of that, we have a young group of players that's expected to keep developing. I also wouldn't think of the likes of Tonali as just a back up. These are rotational players that have the potential to hopefully be starters one day. I am assuming (or hoping I guess) Tomori falls in the same bracket.

I'm not really sold on Diaz. He's got a ton of talent. But he drifts in and out of games and really struggles to impact the game in the final 3rd. He may need more time and maturity. The problem is that time is running out. We only have half of a season left to see if this is going to work out.

Meite.....no thanks. We've already flushed 1mil down the toilet for him. Let's not do the same with 9 more million.
(02-04-2021, 01:14 AM)nefremo Wrote: So the question imo is how many starters do we need? Seeing the team as is now, top of Serie A and playing well, how much of it do we actually need to change?

GK - no
LB - no
RB - no
CB1 - no
CB2 - maybe
CM1 - no
CM2 - no
AM - no
LW - no
RW - yes
CF - no (assuming Ibra stays and Mandzu's deal is extended)

Theoretically, a big team should always look to improve its team if the opportunity arises. But realistically, we have to prioritize.

So then, if we go by the list above, we can invest in a starting RW and get rid of Samu. The rest of the budget can the definitely go towards exercising the loans and making them permanent......of course, assuming those guys perform in the 2nd half and deserve it.

But we are in a situation where we don't need much change in the starting 11
. On top of that, we have a young group of players that's expected to keep developing. I also wouldn't think of the likes of Tonali as just a back up. These are rotational players that have the potential to hopefully be starters one day. I am assuming (or hoping I guess) Tomori falls in the same bracket.

I'm not really sold on Diaz. He's got a ton of talent. But he drifts in and out of games and really struggles to impact the game in the final 3rd. He may need more time and maturity. The problem is that time is running out. We only have half of a season left to see if this is going to work out.

Meite.....no thanks. We've already flushed 1mil down the toilet for him. Let's not do the same with 9 more million.

Sure but I'm not sure Ibra is the man to lead us forward so unless we use Ibra and Mario 50/50 and use someone like a Leao as their backup. 
But I agree. THe only MUST for the starting 11 is RW. 
But we definitely need depth. Just a matter of determining where the depth is most needed and identifying viable options. 

I would add that Kalulu has shown enough to suggest that he might be able to fight for a starting spot in future also but having someone like Tomori would be good. Better to have more solid options. Don't want to be in the position we are this season where we're forced to bring in someone rubbish like Meite simply because he's available and we're desperate for a CM option.
Areas of needs:

1. Back-up RB
Dalot is decent, but as others have pointed out, are we able to pay 15-17m for a back up?
Alternative : let Kalulu be the main back-up for RB (or we may ... hopefully not because of the money at the very least ... get Conti back).
Personally, I'll let Kalulu be the back-up and use the money somewhere else.

2. Back-up LB
Definitely a need, as Dalot is not a back-up LB. He can play there once in a blue moon, but I'd rather have someone whose original position is actually LB. I think we may have a cheap option that we just signed recently. Let's give Kerkez at least 6 months, to see if he develops with the primavera team. Otherwise, I'd got for a cheap 1-2 year loan with options to buy. I also don't mind if we go for Robinson that we were linked last summer as well as a relatively cheaper option (5m-ish?).

3. Starting RW
Most definitely a need. I love Saelemakers, but unless he can improve his offensive contribution, our RW is a dead spot. I wholly support getting either Thauvin or Otavio for free. If we're willing to spend money, I'd go for Stengs.

4. CAM
Depends on Hakan. I will assume Hakan re-signs with Milan. So, we won't necessarily need a starting CAM, but merely a back-up. I think Diaz, when he plays there, has excelled somewhat. He still needs to be better physically, but he's shown he can handle the role. If Hakan doesn't re-sign, I'd go for Diaz. But, if/when Hakan re-signs, I'd try to extend Diaz' loan for another year. That would at least give Milan another year (and CL revenues) to find the alternative. Another cheap option would be to pursue Otavio.

5. Striker
Depends on Zlatan and Mandzukic. Cheaper option would be if Ibra decides to retire and Mandzukic proves he can still handle it for the remaining of this season, Milan should extend Mandzukic. Make Leao the main starter, with Mandzukic and Rebic as the main alternatives.
Dream move would be to get Bellotti for me. With CL revenues, it's a possible move.

6. Back-up CM
I don't rate Krunic or Meite. I think Milan will only redeem Meite, if Krunic is sold in the summer. But, Pioli seems to like Krunic's versatility, if nothing else. Personally, I'd go for Jerdy Schouten here as a cheaper but reliable option for the 4th midfielder.

7. Back-up CB, but must be a solid starter in 2-3 years time
Tomori has played well for the past 1.5 game. We'll have to see more, but I like what I've seen. But 28m is a lot of money. If we have that much money, why didn't Maldini secure Simakan for less? Unless Strasbourg insisted on getting the money now, but the player only in the summer.
I understand though with the development of Kalulu, we might not even need to get another CB.
Alternative cheaper option would be to exchange Laxalt with Ajer.
Raiola offers Ajax gem to AC Milan for free

Brian Brobbey