Champions League semi finals first leg: Milan - Inter May 10 2023 21:00
Big question mark is Leao's injury and availability.

Smilie_schal6
Dont risk him.
I don't think "risking" a player should be a thing, imo. A player is either injured and unavailable (until he is fully healthy and fit) or is fully healthy and fit. For me, a player that comes out of a game due to a muscle injury on Saturday, is not fully healthy and fit for a game the following Wednesday. Unless he was never injured to begin with. Either way, I don't expect him to play in this first game, but that's fine. His pace will be missed big time, but we got options.

I feel like when it comes to these games, you can take form and throw it right out of the window. Inter, on current form, appear to be playing with more fluidity and confidence. But it doesn't take much for that to be gone. It needs to be a cagey affair from us. Don't leave spaces for Inter behind our fullbacks, because their wing backs are dangerous and utllilize those well. From that point on, they have some smart players in the box like Lautaro and Dzeko (even Lukaku) that can hurt us. I think we should generally be fine through the middle, so providing some help on the outside for Theo and Calabria is important.

The battle out wide will be different than the one we saw vs Napoli. Against Napoli, it was all about 1v1 defending on Kvicha and Politano/Lozano. Although difficult, there was many times when Calabria for example "only had to" slow down Kvicha and delay until Diaz or Krunic went over to double and help.

Against Inter though, we won't be able to do that. So in a way, if we can force the ball to be played in front of our FB, than the 1v1 defending should be fine. The trouble is if we get our positioning all wrong and the ball is played behind our FBs to one of their WBs. In this case there is no time to delay and wait for the double. We'd be screwed. So to summarize it, we likely won't need to do much of 1v1 defending out wide, but concentration and positioning will be monumental. We have to get that spot on. Additionally, when we don't the help will.need to come from one of the CBs and not the winger or CM. So that means we'll need Tonali and Krunic to be aware and fill in the voids left by the CB.

It'll be fascinating on a tactical level. I think the teams are very equally matched.

Forza Milan!
I had a dream. I was standing at betting house, holding ticket "Milan-Inter from 2 to 1" and there was big screen flashing "Milan-Inter 3:2(1:2)" Tongue
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
Did you make the bet? Big Grin

I've become more superstitious with age. I don't bet on Milan anymore because for a while every time I did, it would be a negative score. And of course, I can't ever bring myself to bet against Milan, so it made no sense anymore.
Even in the prediction league here, I purposely didn't play the last round because I wanted to see If our luck will change...and it did. Big Grin
(05-09-2023, 03:36 PM)nefremo Wrote: Did you make the bet? Big Grin

I've become more superstitious with age. I don't bet on Milan anymore because for a while every time I did, it would be a negative score. And of course, I can't ever bring myself to bet against Milan, so it made no sense anymore.
Even in the prediction league here, I purposely didn't play the last round because I wanted to see If our luck will change...and it did. Big Grin

Same here. I almost never predicted a Milan victory in PL. Icon_lol2
aka xudong
No bets Big Grin
Also didn't bet for a long time on Milan or Zvezda. In case of failure, it is double pain, financial and emotional Big Grin
Last time, I bet on Milan, it have been 20 years or so. It was some "easy" game at home, and I had my ticket, standing in line to submit it, and than I was like "yeah, let's build up that quota" and I added that match, too. I got all games right and it was last game on my ticket... first minute or so, we scored 1-0, "yup, that's it". Than few minutes later Dida got sent off and we failed to win. I was pissed off and never again Big Grin
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
Match day: Forza Milan!!
The day is here, one of our most important days in recent time. What a spectacle this will be! I bet the sound level in San Siro this evening will break all former records. Holy cow what a show it will be.

About the match im a bit anxious. If Leao dont start, this will be a punching ball game where Inter will punch and punch, and we just have to pray that we dont KO. On paper they have a stronger team than us, no doubt, and the attack is firiing on all cylinders. Im most worried about their physicality in attack. Dzeko/Lukaku/Lautaro is always creating havoc against us. As nefremo said in a other post, Napoli plays a lot more 1/1. Inter are more of a team, really hard working, not so flamboyant but determined and physical. That kind of team fits us less. To stop this Inter side you need to shut down the flanks. Dimarco and Dumfries are really dangerous, good crossses and also a danger in front of goal. And with the movement and aerial power of Lautaro/Dzeko, we will have a hard time if we allow them to pump in crossses from around our 16.

Inter is a little bit like us, they dont like to be exposed for counters. The 3 CB,s is a weakness, if we can challenge them on pace and movement, they should suffer a lot. But a lot is up to Leao, if he plays or not. We are not the same counter attacking team without him of course. They also tend to go really high with their fullbacks, so it should be some room for Diaz and Alexsis to expose.

What kind of tactic will we go for? I think it will be pretty similar to the Napoli and Tottenham matches. A low block, with rapid counters. I think Theo will get a more advanced free role if Alexis plays. he is really good at covering, so Theo can burst forward. If Leao plays, Theo will be more cautious. Krunic will yet again be pivotal. Can he continue his great level performances in CL? Can he dominate a midfield of Barella- Brozovic- Calha? Yes he has been fantastic lately, but you always have that little question mark if he really has been this stable at a high level, or its just pure form. Lets see.

I will try to make a comparison of the two teams, just my little opinion:

- Maignan VS Onana: Maignan.
- Calabria VS Darmian: Calabria.
- Acerbi VS Kjær: Kjær.
- Bastoni VS Tomori: Bastoni.
- Diaz VS Dumfries: Draw.
- Barella VS Tonali: Barella.
- Krunic VS Brozovic: Brozovic.
- Bennacer VS Calhanoglu: Bennacer.
- Theo VS Dimarco: Draw.
- Giroud VS Dzeko: Draw.
- Saelemaekers VS Lautaro. Lautaro.

Sum. 4-4. The comparison became a little weird because of the different formations. Calabria can easily be compared to Darmian, both are full backs. Diaz to Dumfries because our formation will more likely a 4-5-1. Saele to Lautaro is weird, but it cant be any other way.

Cant wait for the match! Forza Milan!
-
(05-10-2023, 09:00 AM)Bennacer Wrote: - Theo VS Dimarco: Draw.

Devilstupito