Poll: Which 2 teams will advance?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Czech Republic
16.67%
5 16.67%
Greece
3.33%
1 3.33%
Poland
33.33%
10 33.33%
Russia
46.67%
14 46.67%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Group A - Euro 2012
Ivanovic is not on Euro.
(05-20-2012, 03:20 PM)mzk57 Wrote: Russia, Poland and Greece, please knockout Peter Cech and Ivanocic and I would be thankful to you all my life.

Questions:
1) Did you mean Ivanovic?
2) He didn't play in the final at all?
3) He (and Serbia NT) has been knocked out of Euro12. Icon_lol2
aka xudong
UCL final should be of 2 legs to stop these kind of utter bullshits or the format of 1950 Fifa WC should be introduced. This one match final is just not right. So many examples of deserving team not winning the final.
Milan-Marseille
Milan-Ajax
Bayern-Manchester
Milan-Liverpool
Chelsea-Manchester
Bayern-Chelsea
Argentina will win the World Cup 2022
Formerly mzk57
zeekay, with all due respect, I am just happy that you were not the head of UEFA or FIFA. Sagrin

The format of 1950 WC final (round) must be the worst of all; A six-game round-robin for the final winner? Still, that didn't prevent the so-called "undeserved" from winning the trophy. With some help from Wikipedia, here are the results:

Round#1:
Uraguay 2-2 Spain
Brazil 7-1 Sweden

Round#2:
Uraguay 3-2 Sweden
Brazil 6-1 Spain

Round#3:
Sweden 3-1 Spain
Brazil 1-2 Uraguay

Many believed that Brazil "deserved" the trophy, so you saw it, even with the multi-round format in the final, it didn't help either.

The way I see it, the format is not all important; and in the end, whoever won deserved it. Chelsea didn't cheat, didn't get help from the referee. Bayern simply couldn't break down Chelsea; Robben and Gomez couldn't score from the many chances they had. It is hard luck for Bayern, but you can't claim that Chelsea didn't deserve it.

And no, two-leg final would not be as exciting as a one-off. UEFA Cup used to have that format, but I prefer the current CL format. Smile
aka xudong
Thumbs Down 
(05-20-2012, 03:44 PM)xudong Wrote: zeekay, with all due respect, I am just happy that you were not the head of UEFA or FIFA. Sagrin

The format of 1950 WC final (round) must be the worst of all; A six-game round-robin for the final winner? Still, that didn't prevent the so-called "undeserved" from winning the trophy. With some help from Wikipedia, here are the results:

Round#1:
Uraguay 2-2 Spain
Brazil 7-1 Sweden

Round#2:
Uraguay 3-2 Sweden
Brazil 6-1 Spain

Round#3:
Sweden 3-1 Spain
Brazil 1-2 Uraguay

Many believed that Brazil "deserved" the trophy, so you saw it, even with the multi-round format in the final, it didn't help either.

The way I see it, the format is not all important; and in the end, whoever won deserved it. Chelsea didn't cheat, didn't get help from the referee. Bayern simply couldn't break down Chelsea; Robben and Gomez couldn't score from the many chances they had. It is hard luck for Bayern, but you can't claim that Chelsea didn't deserve it.

And no, two-leg final would not be as exciting as a one-off. UEFA Cup used to have that format, but I prefer the current CL format. Smile
But its just wrong isn't it. I mean come on, how come Chelsea be called as the European Champions with the kind of game they played the whole season?Huh Undecided This just feel so wrong man. Its not football. Its more of a relying on luck to win it & the thing that pisses me more is that fact that the kind of luck with which Chelsea edged past Bayern last night always is on the side of English clubs only. I have never seen that kind of thing happening for the Italian, Spanish or German sides.

UCL 1999, UCL 2005, UCL 2008 & now UCL 2012, all English winners won it because of once in a life time luck one way or another ....... its just too painful to accept it again and again.

On the other hand look at the other winners:
Madrid won against Leverkusen in a well played final 2002
Milan won against Juve on penalties, but match itself was like 50 50, right?
Porto just were the better team against Monoco in 2004
Barcelona (or AC Milan if had qualified) was also deserving winners in 2006
AC Milan played better than Liverpool in 2007 Okmilan
Barcelona just out classed Man Utd Okmilan
Inter just won a well contested 50 50 final against Bayern
Barcelona again dominated Manchester and were deserving winners Okmilan

So how come Milan, Barcelona, and other winner do not depend on miracles to win it. It simply suck, that it. Football is cruel.

Its sucks that all the time EPL clubs get the lucky wins when they just simply don't deserve to win the trophy ....

Formerly mzk57
(05-20-2012, 05:08 PM)mzk57 Wrote: But its just wrong isn't it. I mean come on, how come Chelsea be called as the European Champions with the kind of game they played the whole season?Huh Undecided This just feel so wrong man. Its not football. Its more of a relying on luck to win it & the thing that pisses me more is that fact that the kind of luck with which Chelsea edged past Bayern last night always is on the side of English clubs only. I have never seen that kind of thing happening for the Italian, Spanish or German sides.

UCL 1999, UCL 2005, UCL 2008 & now UCL 2012, all English winners won it because of once in a life time luck one way or another ....... its just too painful to accept it again and again.

On the other hand look at the other winners:
Madrid won against Leverkusen in a well played final 2002
Milan won against Juve on penalties, but match itself was like 50 50, right?
Porto just were the better team against Monoco in 2004
Barcelona (or AC Milan if had qualified) was also deserving winners in 2006
AC Milan played better than Liverpool in 2007 Okmilan
Barcelona just out classed Man Utd Okmilan
Inter just won a well contested 50 50 final against Bayern
Barcelona again dominated Manchester and were deserving winners Okmilan

So how come Milan, Barcelona, and other winner do not depend on miracles to win it. It simply suck, that it. Football is cruel.

Its sucks that all the time EPL clubs get the lucky wins when they just simply don't deserve to win the trophy ....

In 2002, Madrid was lucky that Leverkusen was in the final, but they beat Barcelona sound and square in the SF.

In 2003, Milan had a great and convincing campaign and absolutely deserved the trophy, but we can't deny that we benefited from Nedved's suspension. Had he played and we lost, it would be very unfair for us and our great work for the entire season. Yes, we deserved it, yet many critics always claim (still do) that the final game was the most boring. Those idiots failed to see (or maybe they didn't even watch) what a masterpiece it was tactically, and they forgot that it was only Buffon's heroics that kept a fantastic Inzaghi header from a close range; and Shevchenko's good goal was disallowed for a dubious Rui Costa offside (no Jube player even argued at the point).

In 2004, Porto was the better team against Monoco in final, but their luck was unbelievable; all the big sides were eliminated in a freakish manner. Porto themselves benefited from referee mistakes when they played against Manchester United (there you go, zeekay, an English side suffered).

In 2006, we were unlucky in the SF. Inzaghi was out injured, I believe. Giladino hit the post twice in the first leg but we lost somehow to a Giuly goal; then in the second leg, that scum Puyol fell like a fairy and robbed a perfectly good goal of Shevchenko. (there you go, Zeekay, a non-English side had that luck)

In 2007, Milan didn't play better than Liverpool in the final. We were terrible, but we won; it was all destiny written in the star. We won, and had to win. Smile

Barcelona just out classed Man Utd, true. They were better sides but they benefited so much from referee decisions and that IMO is much worse than pure luck (when the goalpost keeps the ball out; when the forward slips and misses an open net; etc). Bartha does so consistently and it annoys me.

In all fairness, Inter Merda's 2010 campaign (the knock-out stage) was among the most picture-perfect ones. They beat Chelsea, CSKA, Barcelona while being underdogs even though you have to admit too they got a lot of help (referee mistakes also, Iniesta injury, and even volcano eruption that tired out an arrogant Barcelona side). Their final victory was convincing but Ribery didn't play and they got away with two penalty calls against Bayern.

Barcelona again dominated Manchester and were deserving winners for the final game, but they were about to be eliminated by Arsenal when the referee sent van Persie off. Barcelona is a great team, but football is magical because the best team doesn't always win the trophy.

You could feel bad for Bayern (I do too), you could call Chelsea lucky underdog, but I wouldn't say that they didn't deserve it. They do.

And people only remember the champions at the end of the day. They won't even remember the final score or whom they played; they certainly won't remember how they got to the final; nobody would care if they "deserved" the victory or not. Only their own fans would, like the huge injustice Marseille did to us in 1993. That, I could call totally undeserving.
aka xudong
Thumbs Up 
Although now I would love to see that crack head Cech out in the first round, but would be even more happier if Czech Republic comes across face to face with Germany in QF & Germany gets a penalty and Neuer converts it. That would be justice restored to certain extent.
Formerly mzk57
Thumbs Up 
Come on Russia, I want Peter Cech and every Chelsea player out as soon as possible.
Formerly mzk57
How can you say Chelsea deserved the CL when they finished 6th in their league despite their wealth of depth in players and pretty much played like crap the whole season except for the final 3 months. Don't get me wrong, I give them credits for what they did but I think football or any other sports should be more about the whole season instead of just the final months. CL should really stick to the L in their name, LEAGUE, have all the top teams battle it out in a league format, where 3 pts in September is as important as 3 pts in May. Then the team who comes out on top at the end is a deserving EUROPEAN Champions.

Take the NHL, NBA, MLB, even the NFL. You can be the best team even going undefeated the whole season, but as long as you don't win the playoffs, you are a loser. Whats the point of playing the regular season then beside revenue?
At least in football, teams do celebrate their domestic championship.
G14 many years ago were advocating for a European Super League in an attempt to eventually phase out UEFA Champions League, which was partially the reason that UEFA is making CL bigger and bigger every year.

On the topic, I personally love the unpredictability of the playoff format, which is IMO what makes football great.
aka xudong