View Full Version : Reveal your country
People, i don't think we all realize how great an oportunity this is, we are here, united by one thing, or another, for ALL over the world. That's why, in addition to rae's Reveal yourself thread i think it would be cool if you all told us something about your country.
Lets face it, we don't know everything about everyone, unfortunately :D Sure you could jsut go to a library and read 50 year old books, but it's much mroe fun this way, plus, we have it live :tong:
Facts, population, currency, language and the history of your country. And don't skip the funny parts, stupid habits your nation does, and jokes about it.
If not for the others here, then for me please :angel:
Man i should have done this before my history exam..
I'll start
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Iceland
First i'd like to answer some very popular questions:
No i do not live in an igloo, and nobody here does, we don't even make them. THe kids might do it during the winter to have fun, but there are like 3 days a year when that is possible.
We speak Icelandic; It's a Germanic language, grammatic is similar to german and latin, and vocabulary very close to danish, norwegian and swedish. But it is very hard to learn, and unfortunately you can almost always hear when a foreigner is talking... even if he has lived here for 20 years.
We are currently around 290.000, and 180.000 live in the capital. This does tho not mean that i know everyone :tong: But the funny thing is you can always finda connection between two persons,"i know this one" -" oh hey so do i!" That's the beauty of it, you can know everything about a guy before you go out :tong: ;)
Iceland is an island in the north part of Europe, very close to greenland, the biggest island on earth. So, iceland is green and greenland is ice :) There is not snow here the whole year around, and i have been in over 25° C here, unfortunately tho, that is the top heat i think.. or somewhere little above 30° C
During the summer, the sun can be seen all night. IF you go out in the evening, it can be bright the whole time you are out. Contrary to that is during the winter, there is very little sun. The shortest day is around 4 hours... i know, you get depressed :(
We have huge amount of stories about elves. THey are said to live in the stones, and if you see one for real you will never be sain again. We also have big trolls that liveinthe mountains, and little demons that try to trick you into deals, and instead they will get your soul if you loose.
However this is all old, and nobody really believes it today, except maybe some strange persons :D
The nature here is very beautiful, and also very untouched.. because it's not so good to live in the uplands, because there is nothign there. So the nature stays the way it is because people don't go there very often.. mostly tourists though.
The water here is however something to brag about:D . You can't buy water from the stores, you drink it right from the tap. It is very clean, and we don't add any chemical stuff in it to clean it, we don't have to. Electricity is very cheap too as well as hot water.. so 1 hour shower is no biggie :tong:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's a little summary of my country, see more on www.exploreiceland.net or jst ask me :)
Now come on, share with us something about your country!
Lombardia
13-05-2004, 11:44
i live in england and it rains a lot. oh and we have victoria beckham:depress:
i'm moving, asap
italia here i come!!!
Stezagud
13-05-2004, 13:35
I also live in England and i agree, it rains an awful lot :D
England is a strange country :cool:
we have produced great scientists like Newton and Darwin and countless great inventors who all helped Britain start the industrial revolution.
we have produced writers like Shakespeare, bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, and of course sports like football :D
These are all good but we have also done a some bad things, like fight wars against almost every country on earth (some justified, many not) and conquer half the planet :rolleyes:
I blame bad weather and too many cups of tea ;)
We have huge amount of stories about elves
we have elves too, if you count Tolkiens stories :)
Tolkien lived in the midlands when he wrote LOTR and alot of the things in his books are based in things local to me. :D
oskarius
13-05-2004, 14:46
Croatia..small country for a great holiday :D
Placed in southern Europe, shares Mediteranian sea with Italy..beautiful coast with lots of small islands in the south, continental part placed north connected by mountains in the central part of the country..
As said, small country(53000kmx2) with uncharacteristicaly long borders(looks like a horseshoe on the map), has 4 million people with capitol Zagreb (around 1 million with suburbs).
Language: croatian(one of many slavic languages)
History: got independent in 1991. Pushed into a fuorius war (I will not talk about it as I noticed few fans from Serbia & Montenegro..no politics :rolleyes: ) that ended in 1995. with complete liberation of my country and peace, finnaly..before that, from beginning of 12.-20. century we were one of many countries in Austrian-Hungarian kingdom..Most of the 20.century Croatia was a part of Yugoslavia(till 1991.).
Weather is great(lots of sun unlike in GB ;)), light winter, warm summer..
Beautifull girls..
In every sport Croatia is easy to recognize because of red & white colours placed like on chessboard..very succesfull in many sports also..
that's about it for now..
A few more things about England:
Royal motto: Dieu et mon droit (God and my right)
Population: 50 million approximately.
Many people use the word England to refer to one or both of these. This usage is incorrect and can cause offence, particularly to people from other parts of the UK. It is of interest to note that England is far from being an independent nation since it has no national government, has no currency of its own, has no armed forces, and is not represented in the Olympic Games.
The name "England" is derived from "Engla-lond" or "land of the Angles". Other terms for England include "Blighty", from the Hindustani "bila yati" meaning "foreign"; "this Green and Pleasant Land", from William Blake's poem Jerusalem. "Albion" was used by writers such as Pliny the Elder and Ptolemy in the 1st century, in reference to the white (Latin: "alba") cliffs of Dover.
The flag is painted with a red cross on a white background. This is the St. George's cross, the symbol of the patron saint of England, Saint George. It became a symbol of the crusade in the 13th century (1200) and was used as a national flag until 1606 when it became a component of the union flag for Great Britain. At that time period, the Republic of Guinea used it also.
That should keep you going for a little while :)
triniman
13-05-2004, 16:35
trinidad...one word.....paradise!
Originally posted by Stezagud
we have elves too, if you count Tolkiens stories :)
Tolkien lived in the midlands when he wrote LOTR and alot of the things in his books are based in things local to me. :D
I know, his stories are awesome!
Did you know that Tolkien could read ancient icelandic, and you would be surprised on how much in his story, the lord of the rings, is actually from our old religion stories, for example, and all the names of the dwarves, they are straight from histories men here wrote with calf's blood on skin :)
Keep it coming guys! this is really cool :D
Billy_Montreal
13-05-2004, 19:09
......
TAKE NOTE:
Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack,
or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo
or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, NOT American.
and I pronouce it ABOUT, NOT A BOOT.
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT,
A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!
CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!
MY NAME IS BILLY!
AND I AM CANADIAN! :rock3:
(:D Taken from onne of the most popular commercials in Canada for Molson Beer)
heidi azalea
13-05-2004, 22:38
Negaraku...
Tanah Tumpahnya Darahku..
Rakyat Hidup
Bersatu dan Maju
Rahmat Bahagia..
Tuhan Kurniakan
Raja Kita Selamat Bertakhta
Rahmat Bahagia...
Tuhan Kurniakan
Raja Kita Selamat Bertakhta !
(that's the sacred national anthem :proud: )
Virtual Malaysia : http://www.tourism.gov.my/
popular slogan :MALAYSIA BOLEH ! ( Malaysia we can ! )
nickname of the national flag :Jalur Gemilang ( Strips of glory )
DOB: 31st August 1957 but Sabah and Sarawak in Borneo ( last time with Singapore but Singapore left us in August 9, 1969 ) joined in the unite in Sept 16, 1963...
national blossom : Bunga Raya or Hibiscus Rosa sinensis
climate : equator ( heaven for beach and ecotourism lover )
Political system: Monarchy constitunal ( with The King as the head of Country and Prime Minister as the head of Goverment )
Currency: Ringgit ( 1USD approaching RM3.5.....sth )
National airliners : Malaysia Airlines and Air Asia
language: Malay ( a bit similar to Indonesian... so sometimes ppl not surprised that I hang around at Indonesian thread...:D )
We're another famous melting pot, unity in diversity... love to smile, polite and friendly ppl... The first location for TV series Survivor in first edition ( Pulau Tiga, Sandakan, Sabah )... famous for cheap foods and low at cost of living ...
Like Enzo Pires ever said to me, he wanna visit Malaysia one day... So ppl should keep Malaysia as their holiday destination one day !
heidi azalea
13-05-2004, 22:50
Originally posted by AcMilan_Montreal
......
TAKE NOTE:
Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack,
or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo
or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, NOT American.
and I pronouce it ABOUT, NOT A BOOT.
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT,
A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!
CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!
MY NAME IS BILLY!
AND I AM CANADIAN! :rock3:
:D Taken from onne of the most popular commercials in Canada for Molson Beer)
If I'm not wrong, Canada also famous in aviation history for 'Gimli Glider' story.... salute to Capt. Pearson and his co-pilot Maurice Quintal... Both brave and cool pilots !
sehnsucht79
14-05-2004, 02:04
malaysia. the place for the most overly hyped EPL teams unfortunately. malaysia. a country where the education system is not effective. malaysia. a country where races blend together, but secretly backstabs each other in politics. malaysia, a country full of rape recently. malaysia. a country that is in need of more science and technology. malaysia. a country where the national disease for malays which is laziness rules. yeah, that's malaysia alright. malaysia. once ever so reliant of the english.
malaysia has many great things, but also bad ones not to forget. just being brutally honest.
Originally posted by Jim_UK
A few more things about England:
Population: 50 million approximately.
Oh Jeeesus, was there a war or a plague in your countrey, so that the population had decreased so:confused: :D
The last time I checked the stats it was almost 60 mio;)
I shall write about my country a bit later cuz I do not have enough time now;) I pledge that would be a huge story:D
P.S. :cool: Thread Sandra!:tong:
sehnsucht79
14-05-2004, 02:23
something I know bout germany : birth rates has decreased.
Originally posted by sehnsucht79
malaysia. the place for the most overly hyped EPL teams unfortunately. malaysia. a country where the education system is not effective. malaysia. a country where races blend together, but secretly backstabs each other in politics. malaysia, a country full of rape recently. malaysia. a country that is in need of more science and technology. malaysia. a country where the national disease for malays which is laziness rules. yeah, that's malaysia alright. malaysia. once ever so reliant of the english.
malaysia has many great things, but also bad ones not to forget. just being brutally honest.
Malaysia has more good than bad
Why go around showing the world Malaysia is a bad country Sally? :mad:
sehnsucht79
14-05-2004, 02:32
Well they said "reveal your country". and since everyone's saying nice things i thought i'd give them the other side of our beloved country. i don't believe in ignorance.
malaysia is doing well and improving vastly, yes, very proud of that. but i don't like how we pride ourselves for things like those when there are other matters that need to be settled first.
our sports is lacking, we always make the wrong decisions. our education system is shameful. our country doesn't even recycle and the campaign isn't working. our country is even dirty.
I thought the population was 60 million too, but everywhere i looked said it was 50 million. Maybe they're old figures.
Hoorah ... someone else who says Zed and not Zee ... nice one Billy :D
Originally posted by Jim_UK
I thought the population was 60 million too, but everywhere i looked said it was 50 million. Maybe they're old figures.
Hoorah ... someone else who says Zed and not Zee ... nice one Billy :D
old as a sun:D
btw, I was lerned to prononce ZED not Zee;)
Lombardia
14-05-2004, 03:59
Originally posted by Jim_UK
I thought the population was 60 million too, but everywhere i looked said it was 50 million. Maybe they're old figures.
Hoorah ... someone else who says Zed and not Zee ... nice one Billy :D
population of ENGLAND:50 million
population of GREAT BRITAIN:60 million
hope that clears everything up.
Originally posted by Lombardia
population of ENGLAND:50 million
population of GREAT BRITAIN:60 million
hope that clears everything up.
Indonesia: 220 million. :D
large amount of ppl but lower education level. :(
Originally posted by Stezagud
...
I blame bad weather...
yeah, blame it on the weatherman. :D
Originally posted by heidi azalea
...
language: Malay ( a bit similar to Indonesian... so sometimes ppl not surprised that I hang around at Indonesian thread... )
...
you are more than just welcomed, jiran. :D
Billy_Montreal
14-05-2004, 11:43
Interesting tid-bit:
Population of Canada: 30 Million.
Population of Italy: 57 Million
Province of Quebec alone: 7 times the size of Italy. :eek:
75% of Canada is under ICE :D
Giovanni
14-05-2004, 12:30
GUYS, POST PICS OF YOUR COUNTRY AND CITIES!!!!
THIS IS TORINO, you can see the alpes down there and some old churches and monuments
Billy_Montreal
14-05-2004, 19:28
I posted this in the Pictures thread a while ago
My city and my office :D
Serbia and Montenegro.....not so bad when you give it a second thought,has a seaside(adriatic ),lots of monuments and fortresess,remains of communism still visible on some old buildings but things have gotten better in the last few years...much better as a matter of fact!the town i live in is placed on Danube and is thought to be(rightly:D ) one of the prettiest towns in S&M!Bunch of pretty people,interesting fact is that the most foreigners who come here usually marry Serbian girls(i`m waiting for my proposals:D :D ;) )However,it`s a very small country,with a lot of people of other nationalities living in it(esp.ex Yugo nationalities,and esp in my town)!However,soon i`ll post you more pics and story about one of the prettiest music festivals which takes place in my town!(maybe some people even decide to come!!!!)
Petrovaradin fortress/old clock!Novi Sad
G_Gattuso
15-05-2004, 08:02
Well Im from South Africa , thats right the host of the 2010 World Cup;) Well I personally love my country and couldnt think of living anywhere but here , Well Im not gonna say much but rather let pictures do the talking for me
G_Gattuso
15-05-2004, 08:03
Another 1
G_Gattuso
15-05-2004, 08:05
And yet another
G_Gattuso
15-05-2004, 08:07
Sorry , Here it is
sehnsucht79
15-05-2004, 09:11
Indonesia has great bands.
Argo, please visit www.phlowtron.com, go to the phlowtechonology section and hear music samples. I recommend "Her whispers." It's just that it's my bro's band and thought you'd be interested :)
Angel_Cic
15-05-2004, 11:46
Here we go again! The parody of I AM CANADIAN goes on!!!
I'm not a carpenter, an assassin, or a sniper...
And I don't live in a village
Or eat beans or cabbage, or wear opanke all the time.
And I don't drive a tank...
And I don't know Mile, Nada, Djuro, or Mara from Hamilton,
Although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
I drink Sljivo...not beer
I speak Serbian...not Yugoslavian
And I pronounce it "What"...not "Vat"
I can proudly fly my countries flag out of my car window during any sports event.
Nikola Tesla invented the light bulb...not Thomas Edison
Christmas is on January 7th...not December 25th
and I do everything in 3's
Serbia the first Nation of Slavas!
And the best part of Europe!
MY NAME IS MIA!!!
And I am SERBIAN!!!!!!!!!!
this came from an email I got a few years back...I thought is was pretty funny, although I had to edit most of it :rolleyes:
Angel_Cic
15-05-2004, 11:48
Ostrog, Serbian Orthodox Monastery near Podgorica.
this is one of the places i'll be visiting when I go back home this summer :)
And this is where I am from
http://www.geocities.com/chakfu4/hknight.jpg
I don't know why but I suppose it's geocity problem. If you have problem to view the image by simply clicking the link above, you may simply copy the link and paste it in your IE or Mozilla.
Angel_Cic
15-05-2004, 11:53
Old town Budva, from out-side.
Stezagud
15-05-2004, 13:39
the town im from is too small to have any pictures on the net :eek: i'd take some myself but my sister borrowed my camera a year ago and hasnt returned it yet :rolleyes:
Nikola Tesla invented the light bulb...not Thomas Edison
Joseph Swan invented the lightbulb before both of them, he'd been installing them in peoples houses for years :cool:
Stezagud
15-05-2004, 13:44
Did you know that Tolkien could read ancient icelandic, and you would be surprised on how much in his story, the lord of the rings, is actually from our old religion stories, for example, and all the names of the dwarves, they are straight from histories men here wrote with calf's blood on skin
yeah, he based a lot of his work on old Anglo-Saxon and Viking legends, he taught that sort of stuff at Oxford. I think the elves language is based on Finnish but im not sure of that :cool:
I am from :star: :proud: BOLIVIA :proud: :star:
I'll come back with some pics and info later....;)
Originally posted by Stezagud
yeah, he based a lot of his work on old Anglo-Saxon and Viking legends, he taught that sort of stuff at Oxford. I think the elves language is based on Finnish but im not sure of that :cool:
`I love Milan` in elvish would be : `IM MEL MILAN`(or sth like that)!:D
Shevchenko7
16-05-2004, 21:38
Adelaide,South Australia,Australia
http://www.academy.ifrf.net/courses/adelaide/adelaide.gif
Antonio7
16-05-2004, 22:33
I am from Bangkok, Thailand.
Population of Thailand: Over 63 Millions
Population of Bangkok: 10 Millions
How often dows Milan game on TV. For the last 2 season, almost every week. (The cable TV will select top team calcio to broadcast live 2 games a week)
heidi azalea
16-05-2004, 22:59
The peak of Borneo, belongs to Malaysia...magico Mount Kinabalu:proud:
http://www.kdca.org.my/images/kinabalu_120px.jpg
http://www.paulpritchard.com/images/kinabalu.jpg
http://www.suteraharbour.com/sabah/location-photos02ax.html
The eyebird View from the first flight to Tawau, flight MH2121 ( Kota Kinabalu-Tawau )
http://www.tauchcenter-freiburg.de/reiseberichte/bericht3/bilder/SipadanMountKinabalu.jpg
at the top peak of Mt. Kinabalu ( Low's peak, name after Sir Hugh Low ), the signboard was written in KadazanDusun tribe's lingo:
"Id Kahandaman di : GUNTING BIN LAGADAN. Huguan mana nanud, id nulohon KINABALU, 1888-1965" as a tribute to Gunting Bin Lagadan, the first local ppl who reach the mountain.....
http://www.emmes.net/travelstory/winkler/mount_kinabalu/pics/j_gipfel.jpg
the trivia :http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A856433
ENJOY ! :D
MacoKing
17-05-2004, 09:29
Macedonia, located on the Balkan between Serbia and Montenegro, Greece, Bulgaria and Albania. We have been and still are screwed by all of our neighbours. Were a part of former Yugoslavia till 8th of September 1991 when we seperated without a war i might add. About 2 and a bit million people live there most of them Orthodox. We gave Albania 12 points on Eurovision 2004. Also dont have much luck with the country's presidents, first one was heavily injured with a car bomb the second one died in a plane crash and we just elected our third president i wish him all the luck and hopefully he survives!
MacoKing
17-05-2004, 09:32
Originally posted by AcMilan_Montreal
......
TAKE NOTE:
Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack,
or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo
or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, NOT American.
and I pronouce it ABOUT, NOT A BOOT.
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT,
A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!
CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!
MY NAME IS BILLY!
AND I AM CANADIAN! :rock3:
(:D Taken from onne of the most popular commercials in Canada for Molson Beer)
Yeah We(in Australia) have our own version similar to it but including:
I dont wear a helmet to play football
I sit on the front seat in a taxi
I have a kangaroo pet
I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
Blah blah blah
MacoKing
17-05-2004, 09:33
Another picture of Bitola the town where i was born:
MacoKing
17-05-2004, 09:36
And a pic of the national soccer team:
MacoKing
17-05-2004, 09:50
And a pic of the flag:
Stezagud
17-05-2004, 10:06
`I love Milan` in elvish would be : `IM MEL MILAN`(or sth like that)!
how do you know elvish :confused: all you multi-lingual milanista's make me feel inferior :D
I remember seeing on local news that the school Tolkein went to actually teach elvish as a language :eek:
We gave Albania 12 points on Eurovision 2004.
It so political now that for the UK its barely worth entering.
Cyprus would give Greece 12 points even if the Greek entrant was that weird banjo playing kid from the film 'deliverance' :rolleyes:
i' from Austria and live in a suburb of our capital Vienna.
Austria is since 1995 member of the European Union, has approximately 8 million inhabitants. Our currency is the Euro and our new football champion is the GAK (Grazer Athletiker :-(((( )
vienna:
http://kaydee.de/pictures/wien-schoenbrunn.jpg
http://www.greengrape.net/kazuhiro/romanesque/wien/stephansdom/images/001_from_hotel.JPG
what is our country known for:
http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/sport/sci/200101/09/3a5b112200be7/maier.jpg
http://www.miowebitalia.com/desktop/uomini/arnold_schwarzenegger.jpg
http://ski.russbach.com/pix/skilehrer02.jpg
http://www.salzburg.com/salzburginfo/pics/mozartkugelngr.jpg
http://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/english/images/neujahrskonzert.jpg http://wien.sacher.com/layout/_pic/bilder/sacherfront_schm.jpg
Angel_Cic
17-05-2004, 16:53
I only got a chance to watch the voting of eurovision over the internet, and I personally thought it was all politics...which is a shame. It should be about the talent, not which country you're from. bah!
milan_forever
19-05-2004, 02:12
well, lots of singaporeans here but none chose to write here abt my country..lol.. ill take the initiative then...
what can i say, very tiny 'island', used to part of malaysia, got independence eerrrr, im poor in history, so forget it:D
somethings which i can be proud of :
a clean city
food! if you're here u may get to try wide varieties of food..
'night life' here is cool... if u know what i mean..;)
very modern way of living with some well managed tourist attractions
good transport facilities
though we are a multi-racial society, most of us get along very well, which somehow i find it as a 'positive'.
and of course, lots of pretty babes..lol:D
some negatives abt my country :
too much of rules and restrictions which i find some of them totally useless.. just imagine, even chewing a gum is banned here!:rolleyes:
well, the cost of living here is very.. i mean VERY high! just to give an example, i drive a car, and to manage it ive gotta pay for the parking, petrol of course, Road tax, ERP and many many more! which makes me spend about $200 atleast each month!! and thats only for managing a car! and dont ask about the price of oweing a car here, u may faint! lol
i know these things for a tourists are not necessary but im just giving an idea of how we run our life here..;)
overall i would say, a nice place to visit and have fun :)
As for myself...I was born in El Salvador but Ive been living in the USA since 1987 (though Ive never really considered myself an American). Anyway, El Salvador is the smallest country on the mainland of America, population of about 6 million. Its located in Central America, between Guatemala and Honduras.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8350/war.html
Claim to fame? well I suppose it would have to be the "soccer war". I dont know if anyone knows about this but El Salvador and Honduras over a soccer game back in the late 60's. It dealt with alot more than just soccer, but lets just say that when we beat them Hondurans in qualifying match, all hell broke loose.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8350/war.html
Originally posted by BFC82
As for myself...I was born in El Salvador but Ive been living in the USA since 1987 (though Ive never really considered myself an American). Anyway, El Salvador is the smallest country on the mainland of America, population of about 6 million. Its located in Central America, between Guatemala and Honduras.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8350/war.html
Claim to fame? well I suppose it would have to be the "soccer war". I dont know if anyone knows about this but El Salvador and Honduras over a soccer game back in the late 60's. It dealt with alot more than just soccer, but lets just say that when we beat them Hondurans in qualifying match, all hell broke loose.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8350/war.html
well, almost every thing you have said I have heard earlier:tong: this is due to my passion to latin american states:cool: wish to come there someday...
btw, we have one member from El Salvador - cab:D if I am not wrong.
P.S. I am learning spanish at the moment, so I have one query for ya - does El Salvador mean savior?
Originally posted by sehnsucht79
Indonesia has great bands.
Argo, please visit www.phlowtron.com, go to the phlowtechonology section and hear music samples. I recommend "Her whispers." It's just that it's my bro's band and thought you'd be interested :)
Indonesian? but phlowtron is malaysian, isn't it?
my fav band of Malaysia is 'Search', you know? Amy and co. and my fav song of them must be 'Isabella'. :D i doubted you know them b/c you didn't live that age. :D
btw, i don't really like hip-hop so i'm not quite interested. anyway thx 4 the info. what abour Siti Nurhaliza, recently she comes to Indonesia more often. Last visit here she made a video clip. She said it's better and cheaper to make a video in Indonesia than Malaysia, her native country. :D
and Too Phat. dammit, Malik is getting closer to Dian Sastro, Indonesia's most wanted female. :D We shall get even on that. any recommendation about Malaysian female to chase after? Nurul Izzah or someone else. :)
Originally posted by rae
well, almost every thing you have said I have heard earlier:tong: this is due to my passion to latin american states:cool: wish to come there someday...
btw, we have one member from El Salvador - cab:D if I am not wrong.
P.S. I am learning spanish at the moment, so I have one query for ya - does El Salvador mean savior?
So Cab is a Milan Fan?? Bayunco viejo!! :-)
Anyway, yes El Salvador does mean "The Savior" referring to Jesus of course. Glad to see that you take so much interest in latin american countries. Cuandos vas a ir a visitar?
heidi azalea
19-05-2004, 23:58
Originally posted by argo
Indonesian? but phlowtron is malaysian, isn't it?
my fav band of Malaysia is 'Search', you know? Amy and co. and my fav song of them must be 'Isabella'. :D i doubted you know them b/c you didn't live that age. :D
and Too Phat. dammit, Malik is getting closer to Dian Sastro, Indonesia's most wanted female. :D We shall get even on that. any recommendation about Malaysian female to chase after? Nurul Izzah or someone else. :)
hey, tho your post not for me, but as a Malaysian, I must answer it too..
Hmmm Isabella.... good song, the song was firstly on air on 1989, when I was 11 that time...too many nostalgia related to that song :D !
I like Dian Sastro, what's her Muslim name anyway??????
Argo, Nurul Izzah has married to Raja Sharir last year.... Both are beautiful couples..... sorry, door closed !
maybe you should try Waheeda 'wassini'....j/k :D
or Norjuma Habib Mohammed ( a TV celebrity )
or Normala Shamsudin ( I think she's too old for you ! ) :D
am I a good matchmaker no ????
p/s: argo, your avatar rockssssss !
sehnsucht79
20-05-2004, 03:02
Dian is actually Malik's girlfriend to be exact Argo, but I'm sure everyone knows that.
With all due respect Siti's songs bore me to tears
I like Katon Bagaskara, Sheila on 7, Marcell, and my favourite is Dewa
Milanista ID
20-05-2004, 04:39
Originally posted by sehnsucht79
Dian is actually Malik's girlfriend to be exact Argo, but I'm sure everyone knows that.
Really ? :confused: errr....:groan: :depress: :D
Originally posted by BFC82
So Cab is a Milan Fan?? Bayunco viejo!! :-)
Anyway, yes El Salvador does mean "The Savior" referring to Jesus of course. Glad to see that you take so much interest in latin american countries. Cuandos vas a ir a visitar?
Cuando yo puedo hablar espanol perfectamente:D pero no lo se, me parece que ....hmmm....mmm....well, hard to express myself, lack of words;) .....I hope it'll happen in recent two years....and I wish it last forever:tong: and I am sure that's not impossible, that's reality....:tong:
paolobalde
20-05-2004, 06:39
I'm from Ireland
And no we are not all lepruchans who drink all day, drive horse and carts and live in thatched houses.
yes we do have electricity and running water.
Ok we do like to drink alot and we love our sports and our music. No Ireland is not the happy go lucky place everyone thinks it is. Yes there is a hatred towards the english and troubles still in the north.
And finally it is a rip off the price of living here is unreal.
Oh yes and on occasion we see the sun and the rain may stop for a day or two ON OCCASION.
Oh this is so cool! It makes me wanna go travel around the world :D
In spanish you only need to know two words: Cerveza and hola bonito :flirt:
Originally posted by Sandra_13
Oh this is so cool! It makes me wanna go travel around the world :D
In spanish you only need to know two words: Cerveza and hola bonito :flirt:
ya mean - bonita:D
In my case I will lern to speak spanish fluently:tong:
Originally posted by rae
ya mean - bonita:D
In my case I will lern to speak spanish fluently:tong:
ditto ;)
sure, i know i won't be using bonita though :D
Originally posted by heidi azalea
hey, tho your post not for me, but as a Malaysian, I must answer it too..
Hmmm Isabella.... good song, the song was firstly on air on 1989, when I was 11 that time...too many nostalgia related to that song :D !
me too. :) Great song indeed.
Originally posted by heidi azalea
I like Dian Sastro, what's her Muslim name anyway??????
dunno yet, she's still using her old name.
Originally posted by heidi azalea
Argo, Nurul Izzah has married to Raja Sharir last year.... Both are beautiful couples..... sorry, door closed !
:mad:
:depress: :depress:
:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:
Originally posted by heidi azalea
maybe you should try Waheeda 'wassini'....j/k :D
or Norjuma Habib Mohammed ( a TV celebrity )
or Normala Shamsudin ( I think she's too old for you ! ) :D
am I a good matchmaker no ????
God works in a mysterious way, u know?
Originally posted by heidi azalea
p/s: argo, your avatar rockssssss !
for an anglophile, it does!!! just keep an eye on it because i'll change it w/o prior notification. :D
heidi azalea
21-05-2004, 21:26
Originally posted by Angel_Cic
Here we go again! The parody of I AM CANADIAN goes on!!!
I modified it a bit to fit the unique place where I come from !
I'm not a headhunter or a pirate...
And I don't live in the forest or up the tree...
Or eating dogs or drinking Tapai, or topless all the time....
And I know Jani and Sally from Kay-Ell,
Although from Kay-Kay to Kay-Ell is 2hrs and 30mins by air :D
and months by sea
Kay-Ell got Chow Kit Road but Kay-Kay got Gaya Street.
Kay-Ell got Pasar Malam but Kay-Kay got Tamu.
Kay-Ell is hot but Kay-Kay is cool....
Kay-Ell surrounded by haze but Kay-Kay got clear sky !
KadazanDusuns drink Tapai...not beer
They dancing on Sumazau at Pesta Menuai, not Joget lambak...
The gladiators named Mosopiad...
The beauty queen titled Unduk Ngadau, but never parading with bikini !
The big day named Tadau Kaamatan a.k.a Magavau...
Bajaus are no more cowboys or pearl divers
Muruts no longer headhunters but still shamans
Bruneis is not belong to Brunei Darussalam
More ppl to mention out....
Tho we all lil in size, but big at heart !
From the Valley of Tambunan to the cape of Tambisan....
I pronounce 'A' like accent grave Latino 'A' not English 'A'
I say 'Bah' at the end, not 'Lah' :D
We have Governor not Sultan....
like Canadians, we believe in DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
Orang Utan is the friendly and adorable animal......
I can proudly stand at the top of The Borneo Island....
And I live near to one of the most beautiful coral islands in the world !
Karambunai is the heaven for newwed lovebirds....
At Kota Belud, I can ride a pony in cowboy town !!!
Sabah
the best part of Malaysia!
SABAH BAH !!!
THE LAND BELOW THE WIND !
( Sandra, May is the best month to visit Sabah :D, keep that in the diary ! )
P.s : Enzo, how abt a visit to Sabah ?????
BELGIUM :
well it's quiet a 'difficult' country to explain. We have 10 million inhabitants and in theory we have 3 national languages (Dutch, like in Holland, but in Belgium it's called Flemish the most, the French and German)
Dutch (or Flemish) is spoken by i think almost 5,5 million, 4 million speak French, and then 500 000 people German, although 500 000 is even a lot i think. Since we got the German part Eupen-Malmedy from the Germans after world war 2, as punishment for Germany.
So actually the 2 languages are Dutch and French. Dutch is spoken in Flanders, French in Wallony. So there are also people overhere who want to see Flanders or Wallony independant, and who don't like the country Belgium itself, although i don't want that , it's like that that wars started in other countries ...
Me myself live in Flanders so my mother language is Dutch(Flemish).
Our capital city is Brussels, where Anderlecht, our most famous Belgian football team plays.
Other most known cities are Bruges (Club Brugge remember CL
:depress: ), Ghent (AA Gent) , Antwerp (Royal Antwerp Football Club and GBA) and Liege (Standard Liege).
Our most famous football players of the past are goalkeepers Pfaff (ex Bayern Munich) and Preud'Homme (best keeper of USA 94), Erik Gerets (ex PSV and AC MILAN !!), Enzo Scifo (ex Monaco and INTER :mad: ), Jan Ceulemans (ex Bruges), Paul Van Himst (ex Anderlecht), Juan Lozano (ex Anderlecht and Real Madrid), Fernand Goyvaerts (ex Real Madrid), Philippe Albert (ex Newcastle), Marc Degryse (ex Anderlecht and PSV), Luc Nilis (ex Anderlecht and PSV) , Luis Oliveira (ex Anderlecht, Fiorentina and now Catania), Franky VD Elst (ex Bruges), Lei Clijsters (ex Anderlecht and Mechelen) ,....
Our most famous players now are Thomas Buffel (Feyenoord), Sonck (Ajax), Mpenza (Standard next year Hamburg), Kompany (Anderlecht), Goor (Hertha Berlin) and Simons (Bruges).
Our country lays at the North sea (i live in Ostend, the biggest city at the sea).
Our 'famous' food are belgian chocolates, waffels, BEER
;) and Fries ...
Our most famous persons are Jean Claude Vandamme, the muscles from brussels ;) , female tennis players Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin (nr 1 of the world), Eddy Merckx (one of the best cyclists ever) and Johan Museeuw and Roger de Vlaeminck, also cyclists ...
I hope u learned sth about my country ! ;)
Billy_Montreal
23-05-2004, 10:14
Heidi ..good effot:noevil2: Good effort :sun:
:hmmm: with the I am Canadian :wave: :clap: modified version :tongue1: but I think it was a tad long:googly: :finger: and needs to rhyme :zany:
:cheers: a bit more
Anyhow ... Good try...:sun: I even learned a few things about your nation :sun: :clap: Cool
:tongue1: :zany: :cheers:
:rock3: :respect: :respect:
:coffee: :coffee:
Angel_Cic
23-05-2004, 10:32
:rotfl: Billy, Billy, Billy. hehe.
Bram, can you send me some Belgium chocolates and waffles?? MmMmM. hehe.
Originally posted by Angel_Cic
...
Bram, can you send me some Belgium chocolates and waffles?? MmMmM. hehe.
mind your weight, Mia. :D
Angel_Cic
23-05-2004, 12:12
are u trying to imply something argo??? :groan:
:D:tong:
Originally posted by Angel_Cic
are u trying to imply something argo??? :groan:
:D:tong:
not really. i'm just afraid that you'll need to enlarge your clothes. :D
sehnsucht79
24-05-2004, 04:33
the beaches in sabah. the beaches. mmm. the beach. mmm. tasty....
Giovanni
24-05-2004, 06:43
TORINO FROM THE HILLS AROUND
Giovanni
24-05-2004, 06:45
TORINO. PIAZZA GRAN MADRE
Giovanni
24-05-2004, 06:47
torino..mole antonelliana, one of the highest monuments in italy
Giovanni
24-05-2004, 06:48
TORINO..PIAZZA CASTELLO
Giovanni
24-05-2004, 06:51
TORINO..RIVER PO AND THE HILLS
OK, let's play a game!
I will ask u for some facts about my nation and state. It is very small so I expect that you do not know about it much. So it would be wery ineresting and relevat for me to know what people of entire world knows of my country. If you do not know anything - you are wrong:D cuz you know me;) So let's do it!
I will start - as the Thread starter Sandra and her state has superiority over others.
Iceland
Not reading her post I can proudly present that Iceland was the first state which admitted my country's independence so that the links among our states are very warm and friendly.
Iceland has 200.000 inhabitants.
The capital and the biggest city is Reikjavik (btw there is a street with the same title in my city ;) )
There are many vulcanos and geyser, it is b/c there is tectonic crack going along the island. There is also the only one ice-field in whole Europe.
It does not have the army (only NATO base).
Well I am tired of telling facts about this island.....you can add anything ....
P.S. Whole this stuff I knew before reading Sandra's description...:cool:
Giovanni
24-05-2004, 06:56
Torino is famous also for the Holy Sindon and of course for Fiat/Juventus, but also renowed for his old courtyards, for chocolate and Piedmont in general as the best place for wine in Italy and among the best in the world (Tuscany is nothing compared to)
Originally posted by Giovanni
Torino is famous also for the Holy Sindon and of course for Fiat/Juventus, but also renowed for his old courtyards, for chocolate and Piedmont in general as the best place for wine in Italy and among the best in the world (Tuscany is nothing compared to)
I wonder if you are from Torino then why arent you juve or Torino fan. Is really Torino ur native city?:confused:
Giovanni
24-05-2004, 07:26
Originally posted by rae
I wonder if you are from Torino then why arent you juve or Torino fan. Is really Torino ur native city?:confused:
no my parents are from the south, 4 hours far from rome..but actually it doesn't matter..people cheers for whoever they wants
Originally posted by Giovanni
no my parents are from the south, 4 hours far from rome..but actually it doesn't matter..people cheers for whoever they wants
tell my exact place (I'm keen on geogreaphy;) )
Giovanni
24-05-2004, 07:47
go south of napoli
then you'll find CAPO PALINURO and near in the lands a small town called Rofrano (it doesn't compare on the maps)
Originally posted by rae
OK, let's play a game!
I will ask u for some facts about my nation and state. It is very small so I expect that you do not know about it much. So it would be wery ineresting and relevat for me to know what people of entire world knows of my country. If you do not know anything - you are wrong:D cuz you know me;) So let's do it!
I will start - as the Thread starter Sandra and her state has superiority over others.
Iceland
Not reading her post I can proudly present that Iceland was the first state which admitted my country's independence so that the links among our states are very warm and friendly.
Iceland has 200.000 inhabitants.
The capital and the biggest city is Reikjavik (btw there is a street with the same title in my city ;) )
There are many vulcanos and geyser, it is b/c there is tectonic crack going along the island. There is also the only one ice-field in whole Europe.
It does not have the army (only NATO base).
Well I am tired of telling facts about this island.....you can add anything ....
P.S. Whole this stuff I knew before reading Sandra's description...:cool:
Nice!! Oh yeah about the independece, i knew that too :D I think it's kinda cool because now he's welcomed in the countries like a hero, and quite funny it is too. Apparently the danish prime minister(i think rahter than the king) was gonna be the first one but ours bet him by 2 hours or something :D Anyways now you are independant and that is the main thing.
Have to give you compliments on knowing this :D Maravilloso!!
P.S. We are 286.000 :proud:
Angel_Cic
24-05-2004, 20:13
Gio, nice pics of Torino...beautiful.
Billy_Montreal
25-05-2004, 02:22
Originally posted by Giovanni
no my parents are from the south, 4 hours far from rome..but actually it doesn't matter..people cheers for whoever they wants
where Giovanni??!! From where? 4 hours south?
heidi azalea
25-05-2004, 05:01
Originally posted by AcMilan_Montreal
Heidi ..good effot:noevil2: Good effort :sun:
:hmmm: with the I am Canadian :wave: :clap: modified version :tongue1: but I think it was a tad long:googly: :finger: and needs to rhyme :zany:
:cheers: a bit more
Anyhow ... Good try...:sun: I even learned a few things about your nation :sun: :clap: Cool
:tongue1: :zany: :cheers:
:rock3: :respect: :respect:
:coffee: :coffee:
Bill-eeeeeeeeeeeeee, ( e with accent aign ):finger:
too long eh ????? :D
well, if i try to put whole Malaysia to that poem... I need whole thread of Jure's Paolo Inzaghi for it !!!!!!!!!
needs to rhyme, no ???
can you do it for me.....:hopefull:
Jure rockssssss ! I like that page dedicated for him... He's remembered me to Princess Diana........
heidi azalea
25-05-2004, 06:00
Originally posted by sehnsucht79
the beaches in sabah. the beaches. mmm. the beach. mmm. tasty....
Sally, have you been to Sabah before ???????:D:D
If not, you should try it !!!!!
Sandra....well, nice to feel impresed and lifted:tong: I can add more... ur NT beat our last year and in 2002 by same goal difference 0-3:depress: though we were not worth such end of match... In Reikjavik or one of the best midfielders was sent off at 20 or 30th minute, so it was hopeless to hope more than draw...however... Eidur Gudjohnsen beat us.....**** him and his .....club Chelski...;) :fero:
I also remember that some years ago our NT beat yours at home and drawed away:D I guess it was 5 or 6 years before.
Giovanni....have I found the right map:)
Billy....Look down.
A) Eiður rocks so shut your mouth! :D It's chelsea that are the bad ones :(
B) Yeah we almost qualified for Euro, but we lost against Scotland... how bad can it get? :rolleyes: But drew with Germany at home.
You don't happen to know a girl from Lithuania called Nomeda? :D
Originally posted by Sandra_13
A) Eiður rocks so shut your mouth! :D It's chelsea that are the bad ones :(
B) Yeah we almost qualified for Euro, but we lost against Scotland... how bad can it get? :rolleyes: But drew with Germany at home.
Yeah, we also have qualified for WC'98 or Euro'96 dont recall, but we lost to Scotland....;)
Originally posted by Sandra_13
You don't happen to know a girl from Lithuania called Nomeda? :D
Is she a TV Show TV3 ''Nomeda'' pesenter?;) :D
Btw, how did you both get aquainted?
Originally posted by rae
Is she a TV Show TV3 ''Nomeda'' pesenter?;) :D
Btw, how did you both get aquainted?
Naah :D Ironically, (we met just on the internet), on Soccerage to be exact :howler: And how much do i hate that place... well there exist nice people there among the crazy ones ;)
She lives in Lithuania tho, really cool girl.
OK, guy what else do ya know about my country???
I am ready to hear that, hurry up:D
Billy_Montreal
25-05-2004, 10:33
Originally posted by rae
Sandra....well, nice to feel impresed and lifted:tong: I can add more... ur NT beat our last year and in 2002 by same goal difference 0-3:depress: though we were not worth such end of match... In Reikjavik or one of the best midfielders was sent off at 20 or 30th minute, so it was hopeless to hope more than draw...however... Eidur Gudjohnsen beat us.....**** him and his .....club Chelski...;) :fero:
I also remember that some years ago our NT beat yours at home and drawed away:D I guess it was 5 or 6 years before.
Giovanni....have I found the right map:)
Billy....Look down.
Thanks Rae..
here is a bit of family trivia you could appreciate..my father is from the same "town" as Jarno Trulli.
(not city but actual town)
Well i know you like basketball, and i think you got to semifinals last winter no?
I know you, and Nomeda :D
Well than the basics, population somewhere above 3 million, capital city is Vilinus.. i have forgotten what currency you use tho!
But i know you are in the EU, so maybe you use Euro now no?
Becoming independent was a huge deal, and you can still see memories of the old times there. But now by joining the EU you're saying totally goodbye to the past. Alè!
Now i pass the salt to next person :D
No wait! i can say one sentence in Lithuanian:
Pomidoru sultys valdo!
:tong:
And correction of my post before: You are Champions of Europe :D sorry for that mate!
Edit: I know what it means, but i hate tomato juice :D
hahahhaahha
For those who do not understand - tamato juice rulzzz:D
Well, our basketball team is reigning European champ:cool:
Currency - litas;)
Billy....Which town.
Greece ... A country that gave europe civilization , not to mention the world :)
Once the worlds most powerfull nation ... But every great nation is doomed to fall ...
Athens is greece's capital city with +- 2 million people living there , wich also makes athens greece's biggest city .
The greek language is unique , with the ancient greek language as it's roots ...
Greeks are very religious people. Just as religious back in the time when the olympic gods were worshipped ...
Greeks are Greek-orthodox ...
The history of Greece is kinda turbulent ... Greece was united by city-states like Athens , Sparta , Mycene ... That doesn't mean there weren't many wars between them . The most famous one are the Pelloponesian wars . Even the trojan war was actually a civil war ... But after all they felt greek by culture , religion and language . anyway , some states didn't like the idea of being united , they wanted to rules everything . These dark ages were ended by Alexander the Great who united greece again and greated on of the most powerfull nation ever . When he died , greece was splitted up and eventually conquered by the romans ( their own fault ) ... But even the byzantine empire looked like a greek nation ... around 1200 constantinopel fell and greece was conquered by the Turks ... During that dark time greeks were forced to forget their greek habits and culture , but they never did ... So greece was fallen and dying while western europe were preparing for the crusades ... eventually greece started a revolution and won their so beloved Greece back ... ww 1 and 2 made greece even bigger and they even had a civil war just after ww... crazy communists :)
Today greece is a modern country . Full off tourism , history ...
everything to be a great country !! Hellas !!!
the end .... :tong:
Stezagud
25-05-2004, 11:28
OK, guy what else do ya know about my country???
I am ready to hear that, hurry up
I'll have to admit that you probably know far more about my country than i do yours :D I did know that Vilnius was the capital but Sandra already mentioned that :mad: ;)
I think Lithuanian is the mother language of all the baltic and germanic languages (including English) I read it years ago though so im not sure if im right :rolleyes:
Billy_Montreal
25-05-2004, 20:19
Originally posted by rae
Billy....Which town.
Rae: TOLLO.
Close to Pescara...
Next country:
What does everybody know about.....
Denmark!
I'll start; They drink alot of beer, with lunch too, but that's just nromal there :D They also smoke alot, but alot of nations do that. They are very ligeglad... eh..that means careless.. i think.
Originally posted by Stezagud
I'll have to admit that you probably know far more about my country than i do yours :D I did know that Vilnius was the capital but Sandra already mentioned that :mad: ;)
I think Lithuanian is the mother language of all the baltic and germanic languages (including English) I read it years ago though so im not sure if im right :rolleyes:
Yeah. Steza lithuanian language belongs to the same orgin as other germanic languages, but it is a bit older and authentic....so that means it is wery difficult to learn.:( ;)
Billy....I will take a look at it, just can ya tell the title of reagon or the side - south, south west or east or even north b/c I do not have an idea where is it ;)
Sandra....Well about Denmark I can say many things but I will start with football - Denmark is a nation which has won Euro'92, qualifiying there only b/c serbs where disqualified due to starting war against Croatia and Bosnia.
We have one man in Milan who can tell us more - Jon Dahl Tomasson:tong: !!!Forza Jon!!!
But the greatest danish footballer for me is Peter Schmeichel. He is the MAN. He will be always in our hearts, we'll never forget him:proud:
Continueing with polar bears:D
Giovanni
26-05-2004, 06:37
Originally posted by AcMilan_Montreal
where Giovanni??!! From where? 4 hours south?
Rofrano, Province of Salerno, 200 km far from Napoli
Giovanni
26-05-2004, 06:44
Originally posted by rae
Giovanni....have I found the right map:)
Billy....Look down.
damn you are better than the Hound of the Baskerville..that's right.
you have to see how mad get people when there are some local derbies between small towns' football team.. i will scan the pics..anyway the last time, 2 years ago, there's was a fight of 100 persons..a friend of mine received a megaphone right on the face:cool: :cool:
vickirin
28-05-2004, 18:09
I`m Méxican i was born and i live in Zacatecas a city in the middle of the country .
This is the greatest city in the world with beautiful buildings and a great atmosphere .
I think we are the eleventh country in size so many european or asian countries would fit inside our territory with no problem.
We are working people with a great sense of union .Wars are a distant memory since we had a revolution about 90 years that was the last ar he had in this beautiful country.
There are many problems in México but i''l only name 3 : Corruption , Alcoholism ( Cerveza , tequila) , Unemployment oh i forgot spicy food(i hate it):mad:
VIVA MËXICO
Giovanni
29-05-2004, 07:03
Originally posted by vickirin
Alcoholism ( Cerveza , tequila)
:rock3: :rock3: :rock3: :grinser:
Originally posted by vickirin
I`m Méxican i was born and i live in Zacatecas a city in the middle of the country .
This is the greatest city in the world with beautiful buildings and a great atmosphere .
I think we are the eleventh country in size so many european or asian countries would fit inside our territory with no problem.
We are working people with a great sense of union .Wars are a distant memory since we had a revolution about 90 years that was the last ar he had in this beautiful country.
There are many problems in México but i''l only name 3 : Corruption , Alcoholism ( Cerveza , tequila) , Unemployment oh i forgot spicy food(i hate it):mad:
VIVA MËXICO
I also love Mexico and wish ya to live 4eva....:tong:
I am serious, but this time I do not have enough time to post rite now but later I will do that;)
Billy....have I found the rite place:D
and a picture of one of our national beers ;)
mohammadk18
30-05-2004, 14:52
im from hashmite kingdom of jordan
situated in the middle east, the centre of the world! were east of palestine, west and north of saudi arabia, south of lebanon and syria.
total population: 5.49999 idiots & myself
jordan is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, its ur typical seasonal country, its a very touristic country where you can find the beautiful dead sea which is the lowest point on earth, and where u can float on water. theres also petra which is nicknamed the red rosed city because of its red coloured rocks, it is a very beautiful city famous for its very steep walkthrough, and its huge building?? (dunno what its called in english), an old castle like builing built way back in time. theres also aqaba which is part of the red sea, and its a beautiful sea. theres the deserts of wadi rum where alot of mountain climbing takes place, and the desert is simply stunning.
if ur thinking of coming to jordan, dont hesitate in asking me, ill show u around! everybody i know that came here loved it, u should give it a shot, ull love my beautiful country!
Stezagud
31-05-2004, 05:47
theres also petra which is nicknamed the red rosed city because of its red coloured rocks, it is a very beautiful city famous for its very steep walkthrough, and its huge building?? (dunno what its called in english), an old castle like builing built way back in time.
Its called Petra in English too, i remember seeing it in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' :cool:
OK, then, as I promised - Mexico.
There is a biggest city in the world - Mexico (about 30 mio of inhabitans)
I also know some other cities like Veracruz, Guadalajara, Monterray etc.
Before spanish invasion there was indian people teritories. The famous civilizations of Mayan and Aztec tribes. Basically indians had reached very high achievement in astronomy, maths or geomethry, however they had especial cruel traditions... So that spaniards had conquered them.
Today Mexico is the state which is closely related with USA, well I mean it's people, cuz many of them immigrate their to work (often used to be called ''chicanos'' or ''wet-backs'')
And Mexico is the home country for many beautiful people (especially women - Salma Hayek:tong: )
Here is Mexico map. I wish to come there someday:cool:
Very beautiful pic of Oaxaca plateau, nice place...:)
A december morning he woke up. As usually Master kris sleep a bit to long and it is in the middle of the day. Great that means he does not have to turn on all lights. he looks out the window. The sun have just crept over the horizon and is already on the way down, crap! Sun means cold weather. A free day, if there is something we know how to do in Sweden nowadays then it is avoiding work. But it is cool, everyone is promised a roof over their head and enough money to survive. that is of course going straight to hell now that noone wants to work anymore and if we work we sure as hell wants a hefty paycheck and as little hours as possible.
A summer night. Master kris is with his friends, one of the few occasions where he is not sober. That thing about "few occasions" can't be said about his friends or Swedes in general, especially not on midsummers day. It is midnight, still sunlight and "Snarva" is ranting about the traps and horrors of relationships. I put on some Mark Knopfler, the girls get mad, they want some "party music". Suddenly the words of "Snarva" feels closer to heart. Swedish summer can be great, not to warm not to cold. Like the word that only is in the Swedish dictionary "lagom", almost untranslateable, but means something like "like normal or at a good middle point"... Swedes apparently like it like that. Curse the one without modesty.
At my grandparents house (or ours now...). Sweden is forest, especially where I live. Pine trees and more pinetrees. and we have space here in Sweden, my family is not rich, but we once owned three houses... Of course in that old village where they lived there is only old people left now and my scary aunt that lives on state funds... (did I not tell you we are lazy?) One thing old people are good at is complaining. I long for the time when they told nice old stories instead, not anymore, now they are only good for complaints. be it their neighboor, the kids way of dressing up, do we have to much fun? and so on. We may have tought we made it good for our grandparents... but did we really? We only separated them from us, now all to many hardly ever see their kids and grandkids. Maybe there is no wonder they complain about the younger ones when they are so unattached from them...
It is a pity that the old nostalgic Sweden has left us. Now Sweden still is great for these things but... When I was younger, a kid and lived in our village just outside town there was no worries. Well a kids life is seldom worries. But I could simply walk into all houses in the village, either they where unlocked or I knew the obvious hiding place for the key. Many even left their keys in the car when they came home. Murder was more fantasy than "Lord of the rings". And it was clean, darn clean. Which of course is quite easy when there is not many people. Still we could brag about having drinkable water by the end of all Swedish rivers (and probable still can). Back at that time everyone in Sweden had work and everyone did not try to avoid work.
How times changed. 15 years later I heard about several thefts in my old village. Crime is not what it was (absent), Last year a 17 year old girl was raped on the street where I live (if I only could get my hands on those guys). With the falling economy and lazy people we are not so good on the employment side. My part of the country is more or less falling apat since we have the countries highest rates of statfund reliable people and a system that stops all form of progress.
Still Swedens is reliable, honest and down to earth like we always where. Come visit me and I would make it a pleasant experience.
Here is mine love's country - former Yugoslavia.;. :tong:
ACMILAN1983
14-09-2004, 11:35
I didn't know this thread existed!!!
Its really similar to my "describe your culture thread". Well, if anyone wants info about some countries theres more in that thread
Giovanni
14-09-2004, 12:15
What a beautiful post kris!
I can tell you the old times have changed everywhere, even if i'm not that old, my mother told me about the Sixties when people was used to rely more on other people.
But we can consider us lucky, even with some problems the old good europe is very far from many problems that affect this world, such as major criminality, civil wars, starving, lack of education etc.. All in all, we can consider our problems minor that these. I understand your swedish reality, even if so distant from mine, because i find in your stories many points in common with the southern italian culture of my parents: even in my parents' town they leave the keys inside the cars or the doors open etc. Nature was wild, beaches empty and clean. Now they must protect them from the dirty rubbish of the modern times.
But even if much has changed, a huge part is due to the children age: everyone sees the things of his childhood through an emotional glass, everything becomes better simply because you couldn't see the bad that was still there at that time.
I remember the passion is put into the WC 90..i remember the songs, the flags schillaci's goals: i remember it as the best tournament of my life. all in all, it was an average football tournament without great players like in 1982, 1986 or 1970, but this explains how the memories give an extra nostalgic dimension to things.
Nata, here is ur :star: Kitchner:star: ...
:mex:
Armenia is a country like village! I don`t want to tell about Armenia because it`s very dull country though we have verey beautiful places! :blind:
Armenia is one of purest countries in the world! :guw:
Peachtot
24-02-2005, 02:32
hi...i'm from indonesia...
my hometown so close to Aceh, the most terrible place that affected by tsunamis few months ago...
indonesia is a poor country..., but there are few football matches broadcasted live for free in some local tv.
In a week, there are 6 italian serie A matches, 5 english premier league matches, 4 spain primera division matches that broadcasted live...
Also coppa italia, FA cup, Champions League Cup (tuesday and wednesday match), uefa cup...
All matches served free... :grinser:
hi...i'm from indonesia...
my hometown so close to Aceh, the most terrible place that affected by tsunamis few months ago...
indonesia is a poor country..., but there are few football matches broadcasted live for free in some local tv.
In a week, there are 6 italian serie A matches, 5 english premier league matches, 4 spain primera division matches that broadcasted live...
Also coppa italia, FA cup, Champions League Cup (tuesday and wednesday match), uefa cup...
All matches served free... :grinser:
In Armenia too! And our TV5 will begin to start Fifa 2006 qualificiations round(exept Armenia games because it was shown before)! And in Armenia also Football review`s(CL, Spain, and SERIE A)! :2dri:
referee_kayu
24-02-2005, 14:16
I'm from Singapore, and no, it's not in China! :P
We get typical tropical weather but lately it's been hot and dry enough to start bushfires. It rained today so I'm happy.
We get most of the English Premiership matches live or delayed every weekend on ESPN StarSports, 3 Champions' League matches every matchday on the same channels, and 2 or 3 matches each from Serie A and La Liga on SuperSports. The local football league is 10 years old and attracts a small following.
I live in Malta, a small country in the middle of the mediterrenean. We're 100km to the south of Sicily. Here tempretures goes from 6 min in winter to 36 degress celcius in august. My home village is Luqa which is only 15 minutes walk from the airport. Here we have a population of about 400,000 people.
Although a small country we have everything here (except the san siro :moan: ) even a small village full of pubs and discos where to make party.
We can see every Champions league match, Serie A, English premiere league and many other matches from Spain, France Holland etc. We have the biggest Milan Club of the world.
Celtic_and_SRFC
24-02-2005, 15:43
im from Dublin, Ireland.
Population: Loads.
We DO drink alot.
It is TOO expensive to live.
Most of the women are up their own ar*es.
And we would kill for our sport.
PS: I Love this world.
Slan mo chairde!!!
TAL
Spudy
Baile atha Cliath.
www.srfcultras.net
im from a jordan, a country that is situated in the middle east and is almost in the center of the world, we are known mostly in politics since we are usually between two countries that are in wars... our role in conflicts is really big, most conferences about arab issues and wars take place here, we are located south of lebanon, south west of syria and iraq, west of saudi arabia, east of palestine and egypt. jordan is a very small country with a population of 5.5 million, the capital is amman which is north/center of the country, jordan has been depending on investment alot in the last 10 years or so and it now looks more modern, a big percentage of jordans GDP comes from tourism where we have many great touristic sites like the dead sea, aqaba, jerash, petra, ajloun, madaba just to name a few however jordan lacks water since it has no great coastline (other than the gulf of aqaba).
here we have alot of la liga fans because the liga is aired in almost every TV in jordan because its on al jazeera, very few people have the serieA here and a little more have the EPL, however u get many bayern munich fans (mainly old ones) because the bundesliga was the only league to be aired in jordan in the past.
if u wanna come to jordan then u have gotta go down to the balad, its just amazing, very beautiful, its like the old jordan and its very crowded, u have everything there the best food ull definatly have a good time, plus the people u see in jordan u wont see anywhere else in the world, were unique, not that were smarter than anyone or better loking etc.. but the things we do are just hillarious...
What a beautiful post kris!
Thanks Gio.
What you say is in many ways true, but crime really have been on the rise in Sweden. Mostly because our economical superiority is over, I don't want any political discussion so i leave out why it is so. :)
In the end, Sweden could be described as "safe". :)
I just read your post Kris, and all I could think was "it´s the same here". Well, no wonder, Sweden and Finland and both nordic countries situated beside each other and basically have the same kind of economy etc. I miss the old times when I was a kid and everything was perfect. Now, sa years have passed and I´ve moved away from my home town ages ago it all seems so....gone. Finland has lost everything that people used to think was Finnish,its identity, not even Nokia is Finnish anymore. Now we´re just one state among the United States of Europe...it´s a shame really. But I guess that´s what progress requires.
I`d like to be in Jordan yeah really! Our football is rising(IMO) beacuse Edgar Manucharyan will play in Ajax and Zhorik or Zhora Hovhannisyan is Olympikos player since now! So it`s very good for me and my poor counry! :respect:
dave there are many armenians in billad al sham - jordan, syria, lebanon, palestine - mainly in lebanon and palestine where alot of arab-christians are there ... i have 2 armenian classmates in my class.
jordanian football has been on the uprise the last 3 years, we are now 39th in the world i think, we were unfairly knocked out by japan during the last asian cup on penalties and we caught the attention of alot of pundits with our great run there in china, this is mainly due to the impact of egyptian coach al gohari hes been excellent, but last year ended in a disspointment because we lost against iran on home soil and ended up in 2nd place at the world cup qualifiers in our group a draw would have been fine since we beat them in tehran.
Christopher
25-02-2005, 13:12
I am from the EVEL EMPIRE known as the United States of America where we have forgotten the morals and values this country was founded upon: namely free speech and privacy, and the right to disagree with our government.
More specifically as my screen name indicates I am from Philadelphia land of cheese steaks and pretzels, we have a diverse populus most noteably Italians and Irish which is why we are very passionate about our local sports teams and city . . . we are a proud people!
I am from the EVEL EMPIRE known as the United States of America where we have forgotten the morals and values this country was founded upon: namely free speech and privacy, and the right to disagree with our government.
More specifically as my screen name indicates I am from Philadelphia land of cheese steaks and pretzels, we have a diverse populus most noteably Italians and Irish which is why we are very passionate about our local sports teams and city . . . we are a proud people!
do not be so optimist... I know much ''BETTER'' place wich really deserves a title EVIL EMPIRE ;)
Oh god Philly please. We have problems like the rest of the world but you arent impressing me by saying we are the "EVEL" Empire. Either you dont know how to spell the word or just dont have the guts to admit to yourself if we are truly EVIL.
Respectfully I disagree.
As far as your description of Philly... Kudos man! Common Philly you know there is much more to Philly than that. Say something other Americam cities cannot claim. Like you know the Liberty Bell or one the first Capitols before DC. Teams man tell em about all Phili's teams man! That would be a big one to mention.
Christopher
26-02-2005, 11:43
Oh god Philly please. We have problems like the rest of the world but you arent impressing me by saying we are the "EVEL" Empire. Either you dont know how to spell the word or just dont have the guts to admit to yourself if we are truly EVIL.
Respectfully I disagree.
As far as your description of Philly... Kudos man! Common Philly you know there is much more to Philly than that. Say something other Americam cities cannot claim. Like you know the Liberty Bell or one the first Capitols before DC. Teams man tell em about all Phili's teams man! That would be a big one to mention.
Sorry about the spelling error, in terms of this countries politics I disagree with how we handle international affairs we can discuss that privately though, in terms of Philadelphia (I dunno if your from here or not) but not all that many people from Philadelphia actually take time out to go to the liberty bell of city hall (were the Unite States Constitution was signed) we care more about Penn's Landing, eateries in Old City, South Philadelp . . . etc. We are proud of the art Musem, Boat house row (were reggatas are heald), south street where it seems there is a party every night, and fairmount park. The fans of our sports teams are simply nuts, there is a waiting list of over 50,000 people trying to get season tickets to Philadelphia Eagles games.
Kui why don't you explain the rest . . .
Angel_Cic
26-02-2005, 14:55
I think Ariel might have already wrote about this, but here I go...
I was born in former Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia means “land of the south slavs.” All that formally is left of the country are its two republics: Serbia and Montenegro (February 2003). Those two republics are all that remain of an old federation that once included Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia and Slovenia. Former Yugoslavia has had a very harsh past, but today is a less violent place.
Serbia and Montenegro offers a variety of scenery, from the low mountains and highlands of Serbia to the mountainous coastal republic of Montenegro. A range of architectural styles, including Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and baroque, dot the landscape. Ruins, fortresses, Byzantine-style basilicas, churches, amphitheaters and various other monuments all evident of the complexity of the region's history.
Celtic_and_SRFC
26-02-2005, 16:33
i like the way you think philly :v408:
not all americans are like GB.
GBTP
spudy
Baile atha Cliath
any cubans here??? i just love that country
:howler:
Oh Canada
:D
:cool:
Canada, federated country in North America, made up of ten provinces and three territories. Canada is a vast nation with a wide variety of geological formations, climates, and ecological systems. It has rain forest, prairie grassland, deciduous forest, tundra, and wetlands. Canada has more lakes and inland waters than any other country. It is renowned for its scenery, which attracts millions of tourists each year. On a per-capita basis, its resource endowments are the second richest in the world after Australia.
Canada is the second largest country in the world but has about the same population as the state of California, which is one-25th its size. This is because the north of Canada, with its harsh Arctic and sub-Arctic climates, is sparsely inhabited. Most Canadians live in the southern part of the country. More than three-quarters of them live in metropolitan areas, the largest of which are Toronto, Ontario; Montréal, Québec; Vancouver, British Columbia; Ottawa, Ontario; Hull, Québec; and Edmonton, Alberta. French and English are the official languages, and at one time most Canadians were of French or English descent. However, diversity increased with a wave of immigration in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that brought in people from many other European nations. This trend continues into the 21st century: Canada is one of the few countries in the world that still has significant immigration programs. Since the 1970s most immigrants have come from Asia, increasing still further the diversity of the population.
Christopher
26-02-2005, 22:49
i like the way you think philly :v408:
not all americans are like GB.
GBTP
spudy
Baile atha Cliath
thank you it is unfortunate that most people in the US don't agree with those opinions
thank you it is unfortunate that most people in the US don't agree with those opinions
I'll respect that those are your opinions. But with me being a W supporter, does that mean I lack morals? Just because you do not agree with a man's politics it not to cool to start saying oh they are immoral and stuff like that. Last time I checked, the morality on from the opposition wasnt to great either. Last time I checked too the rest of the world is pretty fvcked up on morality issues. But it is way easier to solely blame the world's problem on one guy right now isnt it?
You know the guy who kinda owns Milan is a Bush friend named Berlusconi. Does that mean the organization of AC Milan is an immoral identity? When are you guys gonna quit this nagging? It's like the end of the world with you guys. We should let decades go by before we start to pass judgements. Cause right now no-one including myself knows what the fvck is going on. We'd like to think we do! But come on!
Yeah! Much better description of Phili you mentioned. You know next door in Delaware is almost like a different country. Heck! Up-State PA. is a different country than Phili. Cool that you mentioned the newer stuff too. I wonder if these guys know that the Rocky statue is in Philidelphia.
That's it! You heard it right here people! Where Philly-Chris is from is the same hometown as the great ROCKY BALBOA!
I think USA is no 1 terrorist country! US People are good but your goverment is very bad!(sorry for you Philly)! I know also that there are lot of Armenians in USA! They are spread all over the world after the genocite! vay es et turkeri..... :tired: :sleepy:
Well if that is true than it would be crazy for your Armenian brothers and sisters to want to come here. I respectfully disagree to your opinion.
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 09:30
But it is way easier to solely blame the world's problem on one guy right now isnt it?
it is when he is going through a list of countries who he says "harbours" terrorists and is "backing" terrorism, and then says the were a threat to the american people, just because his "intelligence" people say so. Who are these people, where do the get their info from? look at the mistake of saying there was WMD in Iraq.
im from ireland, so ive seen my fair share of terrorism and pain.
i hate george bush and all his friends but i still like america and most of its people.
but as someone said before, i respect that you have an opinion. :1five:
spudy
God bless the pope
Baile atha Cliath
Again I respectfully disagree. But for me I dont hate people because of ones politics. It sucks being a govt leader cause they got to make some hard decisions not always the best decision.
Coming from Ireland you would agree that "blame" is not solely the IRA's nor the Ulster Unionist. But to solely blame one man, and yes george is only a man, for all the problems that have been around well before he became President is very shortsided and a cheap and easy way out. Both the IRA and Unionist are culpable and both have legitimate grievances. It would be very unfair and stupid to blame just the IRA or the just the UNIONIST. I'm a friend of George W Bush. My family have donated a good amount of money to his campaign. My father worked under his father. Does that mean you hate me? Do you? Because if that is the simplification of you hating george and all his friends then maybe you do hate me. Funny thing is that you have no idea who I am, what I do, what my passions and fears are. I'm a Milan Fan that you know! Talk about ignorance. Step back a little and now take a look at the picture at who's being ignorant now.
I'm hoping you dont still feel the way you do. Do you hate me?
Anyway moving away from the politics I find it great that you come from Ireland cause you got a really cool country. I also hope you like Milan along with Celtic. That being the case, it sucks that we got grouped together in the group stage of the Champions League. I would have been more than happy to have seen Celtic go throught than Barca.
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 10:05
"I'm hoping you dont still feel the way you do. Do you hate me?"
of course i dont hate you, just disagree with you political beliefs. Im sure your a very decent person but as you said, i dont know you so it wouldnt be right to judge you solely because you support a man whom i despise.
im sure their are a large group of men behind GB who dictate to what decisions are made so you cant really balme GB 100%.
A few years back i came up with a slogan which i try to live my life hand in hand with.
" I hate those who hate me"
You dont hate me so i dont hate you.
We are all here for a reason, AC, and the love of the club and for me its fans cos i think they are one of the most passionate fans in the world ( along with glasgow Celtics of course :u56: )
Hope we can agree to disagree on the politics, eh? :u56:
hope ur ok with it.
Spudy
God bless the pope
Baile atha Cliath
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 10:06
Anyway moving away from the politics I find it great that you come from Ireland cause you got a really cool country. I also hope you like Milan along with Celtic. That being the case, it sucks that we got grouped together in the group stage of the Champions League. I would have been more than happy to have seen Celtic go throught than Barca.
i know exactly what you mean.
have you been to ireland??
Rapierist
27-02-2005, 10:15
Stop with the American bashing.
I agree their policies do not exactly endear them to the rest of the world. But comparing the US with other countries, it still has some of the most conscience driven and thoughtful people. It certainly is one of the most tolerant and non-discriminatory countries in the world, for the diverse variety of people living there. Many of its citizens are not afraid to admit that even though they love their country, they recognise that the current leadership is ruining their image in the eyes of the rest of the world. I can't think of citizens of any other country doing that.
Take this fan-site for example. How many of you actually dislike Berlusconi and his corrupt ways? Not many. You just take the easy route saying "I do not mix sport with politics".
I know my country does not have a tolerant populace. In some areas here they'd murder you for falling in love. And if you look deep enough, all countries exploit their position of power in the world. Italy did it for centuries with the Romans and the brutal Popes after them. England did it too with imperialism. So it is hardly a surprise that America are using their power to further their own interests.
And no, I am not American.
All cool man. What's the Gaelic saying mean at the bottom of you r post? "Baile atha Cliath"?? Yes and no. Probably both because regardless of the political divide there is one Ireland. I didnt get to go down south to Dublin but I stayed at a resort outside of Derry call Roe Creek Golf and Resort. Mostly played golf, but spent a day to check out the Giant's causeway. My question though is it always "cold" like that in Eire? I say it in quotes because cold depends on the individual. You might be able to uber-cope with it but coming from Hawaii, that is pretty cold! It was summer too! I'd hate too see what winter is like. For it being so cold you guys must have some strong kind of species of grass cause it does a pretty good job of staying green over there. Our plants wouldnt have a chance!
Next time Dublin and the surrounding counties is a must.
Thanks Rapierst with your concerns. We have cleared the air on this already. Man to man we had a good mending. Even with our disagreements.
FORZA MILAN!
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 10:30
[QUOTE=Kui]All cool man. What's the Gaelic saying mean at the bottom of you r post? "Baile atha Cliath"??
QUOTE]
its irish for Dublin City.
and yes its ALWAYS cold over here.
I used to work with a couple of african guys and i always wondered how they tolerated the coldness.
Im used to it but when you come from a place like Hawaii or africa, a kinda feel bad cos its sooooo cold. :hmmm:
And i wasnt amercan bashing.
just hate george bush.
But thats the last ill mention him.
As i said b4, not all americans are like george bush, even if they support him.
im off to watch ireland beat england in the rugby on TV.
C'Mon Ireland.
Another cool sport RUGBY! How do you like your Gaelic games? Americans really like sports, maybe a little to much of our own, but we like all kinds of sports. Man the Irish football and ?hurling? is high in intensity! You Irish are frickin insane! What's that hurling ball made of? Looks hard as wood. If it is you guys are off the chart.
:v46: So how did it end up being "Dublin"? Cause I notice the dissimilarity in language there.
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 12:42
As far as i understand;
Atha Cliath = Dublin. Which comes from the irish; Dubh linn (pronounced duv lin) meaning black pool. Baile means city.
I might stand corrected because my irish isnt up to scratch.
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 12:44
Another cool sport RUGBY! How do you like your Gaelic games? Americans really like sports, maybe a little to much of our own, but we like all kinds of sports. Man the Irish football and ?hurling? is high in intensity! You Irish are frickin insane! What's that hurling ball made of? Looks hard as wood. If it is you guys are off the chart.
I love gaelic football and follow Dublin (surprise surprise) they are all lunatics when they play the hurling because the ball (sliothar) is made of leather and some other substance in the centre which i dont know of.
go to www.gaa.ie and youll be able to get loads more info.
http://www.gaa.ie/page/all_about_hurling.html = will explain hurling more.
Spudy
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 12:45
oh yeh, Ireland beat England at the rugby 19 points to 13.
happy days.
Spudy :beer:
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 12:52
:v46: So how did it end up being "Dublin"? Cause I notice the dissimilarity in language there.
when the english were in this country, they anglicised all place names and made them their own, so now when you come to ireland, and you look at a road sign, for example Dublin, it will have the english name in bigger letters and the irish one above it in smaller letters.
Another cool sport RUGBY! How do you like your Gaelic games? Americans really like sports, maybe a little to much of our own, but we like all kinds of sports. Man the Irish football and ?hurling? is high in intensity! You Irish are frickin insane! What's that hurling ball made of? Looks hard as wood. If it is you guys are off the chart.
Hurling is da game!
I think sport and drink sum up Ireland best.
I honestly dont think there is a country as passionate about sport as us be it soccer, rugby, hurling or gaelic football. huge interest in sport taking me for example last year ill give you details of three weekends in a row.(last 2 weeks of April, 1st week of May 2004)
1st weekend i was at Limerick versus Kerry the semi final of the national league in gaelic football,
next weekend up in dublin for the rugby heniken cup semi final munster versus wasps,
weekend after over in Milan for Milan roma
another example would be the Irish France soccer match i was at last October in Paris, 40000 Irish went, there was probably more Irish than french at the match, what other country could do that?
and win lose or draw we will have a pint afterwards.
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 14:10
and win lose or draw we will have a pint afterwards.
thats what makes the irish unique.
are biggest 'partys' are at funerals.
no other country is like us, i dont think :cheers: :cheers:
no other country is like us, i dont think :cheers: :cheers:
everyone loves us so its all good!
true story for you. was going from austria into italy a few years back, driving, to head on to milan. got stopped at some border check point along the way and asked to show passports licence etc... as soon as we spoke the guard started shouting "you english?" and waving over his back up squad. Asked us to get out of the car opening the door and all. My mate who's driving says no no were irish and shows him a passport. Immediately the backup squad is waved off a big smile comes across his face and he was all oppolgetic towards us shaking our hands, flagged us through and welcomed us to italy!!!!
Pure class....
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 17:03
and long may it stay that way.
im so proud of my fellow irishman/women because of that.
Spudy
interesting story iregk
another example would be when i was in paris french people would come and shake my hand just because I was Irish
also foreign women seem to like us Irish men, we cant complain
yeah kind of noticed that in austria... very sucessfull trip on that account.
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 18:02
yeah kind of noticed that in austria... very sucessfull trip on that account.
ohh, tell us more.
dont know what your talking about, hasnt worked for me, well nearly, in england.
its all in the voice, accentuate that accent.... when it comes to women now, well the scotish women just do it for me.... that voice ouhhh
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 18:22
its all in the voice, accentuate that accent.... when it comes to women now, well the scotish women just do it for me.... that voice ouhhh
tell me about it man. melting comes to mind.....................
its all in the voice, accentuate that accent....
yeah think the accent helps a bit not sure if my limerick accent is as effective as the dublin accent though. its more when you have a couple of drinks you just talk anything to them and they think your funny because they are not that used to seeing guys really drunk which i tend to be when i am abroad and of course the kinda 'fun' reputation we have.
regarding nationalties i have been how should i put it lets say very lucky with: Irish obviously, Northern Irish(being politically correct!), English and Scottish.
other nationalities i have got lucky with but not the whole way are: American, Welsh, French, Italian and Slovakian.
And not just me last november 4 of my friends were in prague for weekend, I was supposed to go aswell but couldnt because of job interviews and mid-term exam. All 4 got lucky and 1 got very lucky!
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 18:29
how hard or easy is it to chat up a foreign girl, id say it was v. impossiblr unless they just turn around and grab the jewels, then there no confusion.
how hard or easy is it to chat up a foreign girl.
well it helps if you have had a few drinks, i would find it v hard and intimidating if i was sober
Celtic_and_SRFC
27-02-2005, 18:34
well it helps if you have had a few drinks, i would find it v hard and intimidating if i was sober
thats exactly where im coming from, being a v shy dubliner (if thats possible)
im off to bed
talk tomorrow,
here are some pics of the city i live in... im gonna deeply miss it when i go to uni. ... the ballad (downtown) is as stunning as it can get
the first is a pic of the gulf of aqaba ... simply amazing, really nice!!
the 2nd and 3rd are in the petra
the 4th and 5th are in jerash and wadi rum respectivly
the next 2 pics are of the famous dead sea... the lowest point on earth and where u can float on water... u also wont find any living organisims in the sea due to the exsessive silinity of the water
the 3rd is the jordan valley which is on the border of palestine and is connected with the dead sea and jordan river
the 4th is al-salt the 2nd most populated city in jordan
and the 5th is another pic of jerash
ACMILAN1983
16-06-2005, 07:54
cool pics mk
sehnsucht79
17-06-2005, 06:09
The best thing about Malaysia is the mamak shops. I feel absolutely sympathy for the world for not having mamak shops :(
whats a mamak shop? :dontkn:
sehnsucht79
17-06-2005, 10:59
Its very hard to explain... its basically a 24 hr food stall and you have it EVERYWHERE in malaysia. Though its just a food stall, its an extremely important (and significant) part of a malaysian's life. mamak shops are where everyone goes to eat - great food but cheap, rich, poor, old, young, chinese, indian, caucasian, malay. theres just no boundaries in mamak shops and its alive 24/7, always. its a thing that malaysians share with each other and it sounds silly but when you go to mamak shops its cool because you see people are so united in one place for great food. absolutely neat place, but still enjoyable.
Its very hard to explain... its basically a 24 hr food stall and you have it EVERYWHERE in malaysia. Though its just a food stall, its an extremely important (and significant) part of a malaysian's life. mamak shops are where everyone goes to eat - great food but cheap, rich, poor, old, young, chinese, indian, caucasian, malay. theres just no boundaries in mamak shops and its alive 24/7, always. its a thing that malaysians share with each other and it sounds silly but when you go to mamak shops its cool because you see people are so united in one place for great food. absolutely neat place, but still enjoyable.
What no one sleeps in Malaysia???? Unless a business is servicing people globally, I cant say I like these 24/7 places. We have a lot of stores open 24/7 and I imagine it being hard for people with families when they have to work at odd hours. I'm a capitalist... dont get me wrong, but every capitalist needs to one day honor his family first and foremost.
what kind of food do they serve?
sehnsucht79
19-06-2005, 06:07
these shops are usually run by indian muslims.. these restaurants are theirs, therefore its a family business and it doesnt bother them at all serving us at odd hours. the waiters are usually foreign waiters who are just happy to make money. i've known a loyal waiter who is something like a brother of the owner of the restaurant whose shift runs till 2 am and then he goes up on the second floor and sleeps till his next shift :D i dont think they mind at all, its been going on and everyone loves it.
they serve all kind of food - indian, malay, western, chinese in some i think. its just a very mellow place where everyone hangs out, but it never gets too crowded or noisy. you go to this public place yet you still have your own sanctuary. its really cool.
gosh, i dont think i've ever been this proud of malaysia. and to think its because of some food stalls :D
Dr Milano
19-06-2005, 10:21
these shops are usually run by indian muslims.. these restaurants are theirs, therefore its a family business and it doesnt bother them at all serving us at odd hours. the waiters are usually foreign waiters who are just happy to make money. i've known a loyal waiter who is something like a brother of the owner of the restaurant whose shift runs till 2 am and then he goes up on the second floor and sleeps till his next shift :D i dont think they mind at all, its been going on and everyone loves it.
they serve all kind of food - indian, malay, western, chinese in some i think. its just a very mellow place where everyone hangs out, but it never gets too crowded or noisy. you go to this public place yet you still have your own sanctuary. its really cool.
gosh, i dont think i've ever been this proud of malaysia. and to think its because of some food stalls :D
lol is malasia nice place ive visited pakistan seen peshawar some city their its mint nice got a huge college thier my dad said it was the biggest college in plakistan
Southernsun
22-06-2005, 14:40
usa, new york. but wish i was in florence.
usa, new york. but wish i was in florence.
not Milano? ;)
manchester england now..
Born in india..
but parents live in Doha, Qatar and used to stay there so yep quite a mixed childhood!!
i think u should do more revealing... meaning PICS!!!
vBulletin® v3.7.1, Copyright ©2000-2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.