View Full Version : Massive earthquakes and tsunamis hits South and Southeast-Asia
:( Another tragedy :(
I know we have here lots of members from that Area, so I hope you are all ok.
My prayers goes out to all of the pple in this area, who are affected by this tragedy .....my condolences to all. :depress:
There have been only 10 earthquakes above 8 Richter since 1900, and today it was one of them, in Indonesia (north of Sumatra island).
Some areas in Thailand and Malaysia were also affected by the tsunamis, however the death count was worst in Indonesia for the SE Asia region - 400 people dead and counting. :depress:
Meanwhile, similar tsunamis and earthquakes also affected the Bay of Bengal area, wher more than 1500 people in India and 1000+ people in Sri Lanka have been the casualties (and still counting).
Last year same time there was this huge earthquake in Iran which also costs thousand and thousands of Life :(
PS: Not sure, if it's correct, to open this Thread here at Members Lounge. So Mods and Admins, feel free to remove this to another place here in the Forums
My heart goes out to those families that are affected and the countries struck. Horrible natural disaster. I hope no MM member was directly affected.
Same here, all my condolences to the people that were directly affected by this disaster.:cry:
Hopefully no member from MM had problems...pray for them and their families.
Another tragedy...condolences to all the people who have lost and hope nobody here is affected
I join you, offering condolences to all people in that region.
ACMILAN1983
26-12-2004, 16:54
I was about to open the same thread before Reza told me it was already done.
shame such a thing happened
I hope all the posters from that area are ok
My condolences to all those who have suffered in any way from this tragedy
heidi azalea
26-12-2004, 21:50
In Malaysia, abt 42 have died, and mostly in Penang ( 33 persons, most of them at Batu Feringghi beach )... :googly: :doh:
Just got shock of that tragedy.... :(
BaggioForever
26-12-2004, 22:00
my condolences to all affected~~
my condolences to everyone affected by this..
It's hard to believe that the tidal wave had such force that it hit the east coast of Kenya, more than 4000 miles away .... my thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and families affected by this tragedy.
ACMILAN1983
27-12-2004, 17:42
It's hard to believe that the tidal wave had such force that it hit the east coast of Kenya, more than 4000 miles away .... my thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and families affected by this tragedy.
wow, I never knew it actually hit Kenya. I have family there, but I doubt it did much damage there, I just hope the people south east Asia can recover
wow, I never knew it actually hit Kenya. I have family there, but I doubt it did much damage there, I just hope the people south east Asia can recover
Don't worry, it didn't got to Kenya with the same rage as in SE Asia, the thing was that the waves were a little more big than the usual, and not only Kenya but other East coast African countries decided to evacuated the coast in case of a tidal wave.
Things keep getting worse, everytime I read something about it, there are at least 3000 more deads than the last time. :(
rossoneroid
27-12-2004, 20:31
Thanks everyone.
Latest news here Jakarta Dec 28 morning. Indonesia 5000 deads, Sri Lanka 12092, India 6280, Thailand 2000, Somalia 100, Malaysia 51, Myanmar 56 and Maldives 100.
In Indonesia, the worst is at Aceh.
:(
Angel_Cic
27-12-2004, 20:51
i've been watching this on the news the last few days, and that number keeps rising and rising. i don't remember any earthquake that has caused this much damage. the poor people :( i hope our prayers will help some how.
One at my work know some people that are still missing. Me and parts of my family was in affected areas at this time last year... Just saw some footage from a Swedish tourist who was standing in a restaurant and filmed when the third wave came in. The power of it was immense and he actually filmed when a pair was swept away by the wave. He was himself standing in water that reached almost to his chest.
What a desaster ....over 25.000 pple died in Indonesia, ca. 20.000 in Sri Lanka and so on :(
The numbers of deads are rising higher and higher :(
In Thailand hundreds if not thousands tourists are still missed. I read that over 1.600 swedish tourists are still missed and in the news today it's said that Khao Lak a place where lots of Germans spend their x-mas holidays, don't excist anymore. Hotels are completly crashed.......lots of germans are missed and they found hundreds of bodys dead.....
Unbelievable :(
my condolences to all affected aswell
We do have some members from that region or near there, or at least we used to. I know I have to get hold of a friend at work to see if his brother-in-law, who's been teaching in Malaysia for about 6 years now, is safe. :dazed:
What's so shocking, to me anyway, is that there could be such a massive earthquake so close, yet there was no warning of the tsunami! I've heard some survivors talk about it, it was so horrifying! All affected, and really, isn't it the whole world, is in my prayers.
We do have some members from that region or near there, or at least we used to. I know I have to get hold of a friend at work to see if his brother-in-law, who's been teaching in Malaysia for about 6 years now, is safe. :dazed:
What's so shocking, to me anyway, is that there could be such a massive earthquake so close, yet there was no warning of the tsunami! I've heard some survivors talk about it, it was so horrifying! All affected, and really, isn't it the whole world, is in my prayers.
We have no members from the affected areas, we have quite a few Malaysians here, but not only was Malaysia not hit hard, the members we have don't come from the affected regions. Lets say it is a much higher possiblity that we have some europan members that is there on vacation, I was just that exactly a year ago...
As for warning I read that they (in Thailand) got a warning, but they didn't think it would be as massive as it was and was afraid to scare away tourists... Oh the tourists got scared alright.
derekhski
28-12-2004, 16:40
I wish for the wellfare and fast recovery from this terrible disaster. All of those affected directly and indirectly are in all of ours thoughts and minds durring this tragedy.
My condolences to everyone affected by this.
I saw pictures of that disaster it was terrible.
I hope that all our members from that region are alright..
ACMILAN1983
30-12-2004, 17:25
the death toll reached over 120,000 today :(
Angel_Cic
30-12-2004, 21:57
that number is even higher now at the end of the day :( we gotta be thankful for everything we got people because we do not know when tragedy can hit us. (God forbid)
Peachtot
31-12-2004, 04:50
Thanx for your condolences and symphaties, fellas!!
we really appreciated....
ACMILAN1983
31-12-2004, 12:30
where abouts are you from Peachtot?
Deon (peachtot) is from Medan, Northern Sumatera. That province also suffered such damage occurred by the tsunamis.
Fortunately his city (Medan) is located on the east side of Sumatera Island while the quakes and tsunamis hit the west side.
Angel_Cic
01-01-2005, 20:04
argo, how are you doing?? :(
I'm doing fine, Mia.. and I hope you too.. :)
Angel_Cic
01-01-2005, 21:05
you know what i meant :cheers: but i'm fine thanks :)
ACMILAN1983
02-01-2005, 09:26
Good to see you posting Argo, thanks for the info too
Gabrielle
02-01-2005, 13:56
My condolences n prayers to those effected by the tsunami. I live in Singapore n it's really heartening to see our neighbouring countries going thru this tragedy. It's so unreal that the tragedy are happening so close to home:(
My best friend was suppose to go to Phuket for her honeymoon but cancelled at the last minute because according to her husband, there'll be a lot of tourists at this time of the year...there's so many "what ifs"...We don't know when tragedy might hit next, this whole tragedy just makes me appreciate life more...
been following these news for days, truly sad. my prayers are with all those affected by this terrible disaster.
My condolences n prayers to those effected by the tsunami. I live in Singapore n it's really heartening to see our neighbouring countries going thru this tragedy. It's so unreal that the tragedy are happening so close to home:(
My best friend was suppose to go to Phuket for her honeymoon but cancelled at the last minute because according to her husband, there'll be a lot of tourists at this time of the year...there's so many "what ifs"...We don't know when tragedy might hit next, this whole tragedy just makes me appreciate life more...that's the risk of living in an archipelago like us.
Indonesia lied on 3 major tectonic plates: Eurasia, Indo-Asutralia, and Pacific plate. those plates keep moving all the time to push each other to the opposite direction. and when the time has come, it could cause a horrible tectonic-earthquake then followed by tsunami.
in the recent decades there were quakes and tsunamis occurred in Indonesia, but this one is the biggest (and the worst).
such a beautiful country.. with losta dangers...
Peachtot
04-01-2005, 02:07
where abouts are you from Peachtot?
Sorry for this late reply...
Til' 18 years old I live in Medan, North Sumatra.
Affected by Quakes too, but not for Tsunamis.
When I called my dad, he said that around 8 am on Sunday, he was in church, and suddenly there's earthquake...
All of peoples run out as soon as, and the church activities were pending for a half hour.
After that, my hometown was fine.
Now I live far away from medan, in Java Island (near Jakarta, the capital city). I live in a houz with other work mates and 1 of them has big familiy in Uleu Leu (Aceh). Uleu Leu was a coast for fisherman village at west coast Aceh (most terrible place that hit by tsunamis). So close to center of Earthquake in deep of Indian Ocean.
He lost his mom, 1 sis and 1 bro. His dad abd 3 bro's evacuated to a hospital in medan (North Sumatra province). Everytime we call him by phone, he always cries...
I'm so sad to my houz mate...
I dont know how to act if he came back to our home once day later....
No idea in my head...
Maltese Charlie
04-01-2005, 03:39
I am sure that there is nobody in the whole world whose not sorry for what had happened.
It is our duty to show solidarity to our brothers and sisters victims of the Tsunami
Our prayers for these people are good BUT not enough!
These people needs URGENT HELP! because are suffering hunger and illness.
We have no control on nature, but sure we can do many things to reduce the suffering.
So lets put our hand in our pocket and donate some money. Tomorrow it might be us who needs help!
ACMILAN1983
04-01-2005, 09:50
Sorry for this late reply...
Til' 18 years old I live in Medan, North Sumatra.
Affected by Quakes too, but not for Tsunamis.
When I called my dad, he said that around 8 am on Sunday, he was in church, and suddenly there's earthquake...
All of peoples run out as soon as, and the church activities were pending for a half hour.
After that, my hometown was fine.
Now I live far away from medan, in Java Island (near Jakarta, the capital city). I live in a houz with other work mates and 1 of them has big familiy in Uleu Leu (Aceh). Uleu Leu was a coast for fisherman village at west coast Aceh (most terrible place that hit by tsunamis). So close to center of Earthquake in deep of Indian Ocean.
He lost his mom, 1 sis and 1 bro. His dad abd 3 bro's evacuated to a hospital in medan (North Sumatra province). Everytime we call him by phone, he always cries...
I'm so sad to my houz mate...
I dont know how to act if he came back to our home once day later....
No idea in my head...
I'm glad you and your family are safe, but really sorry to hear about your housemate.
I saw on the news the island you mention there (Aceh) and the place looked terrible now.
Today (and not only today) is on TV another big donation-show (actually stand: over 33 Million Euros) and it's so good to see, that pple donate Millions of Euros all over the world to help the Pple in that area.
A lot of Sportsman and also Footballclubs are also donating lots of money.
I read today that our beloved AC MILAN made an announcement to donate 3. Mio. Euros to UNICEF, the 20 clubs of the premierleague 1,4 Mio. Euros, Michael Schumacher 7,5 Mio. Euro.
Bayern Munich donated 300.000 Euros as a Immadiately-Donate and also start a project building a school or orphanage and support them in the next 15 years with Money.
@ Peachtot
I am so sorry to hear that about your housemad. :(
When you see him next time, just give him a big hug, it shows all the words you may do not find to say....he for sure feels immadiately what is in your heart and mind ...
And Maltese_Charlie is right.... money never can be enough. Every single Euro/Dollar/Pound counts....
Here in Germany there is a opportunity to send 1 SMS for 4,99 Euro and the money goes immadiately to a donation-arrangement. I find this way also a good opportunity.
And yes, maybe when you all like the idea and of course when it is possible, why we as a Milanfamily does not do something like this aswell? For example, when the Admins open a special account and then give the Money we donate to a special Donate-Arrangement?
Hmm... I know we have here lots of members, who are going to school or may do not have much money for themselves, but all these pple do have lost everything after this big tragedy...
.....As I said, each Euro/dollar counts for these pple. And I believe we all may find a way to give a bit money, when we just give up something one time what is normal in our everyday life (just for example a special newspaper you buy monthly or when you go out, just drink 1-2 beer less, etc etc.) and donate that money instead....no matter how less it is.....
Gabrielle
05-01-2005, 10:23
Today (and not only today) is on TV another big donation-show (actually stand: over 33 Million Euros) and it's so good to see, that pple donate Millions of Euros all over the world to help the Pple in that area.
The Singapore Red Cross so far has collected 18 million dollars (around 9 million euros) from the public.I was surprise, at the same time glad, over the amount of money collected considering the population in our country is only around 3 million.
I think countries all over the world are doing their part in helping the countries affected by this tragedy.People are donating their money because they feel for those losing their homes n families. Natural disasters,while devastating, bring out the best of human spirit :proud:
Peachtot
06-01-2005, 04:15
@ Peachtot
I am so sorry to hear that about your housemad. :(
When you see him next time, just give him a big hug, it shows all the words you may do not find to say....he for sure feels immadiately what is in your heart and mind ...
Yeah...I hope so...
Thanx for your advice....
Ofcourse one can open a MM account to collect and then donate everything from the account but as far as I could gather its better to donate directly to one of the agencies or charities. A collection of Canadian and international links is at http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/asia_earthquake/helping.html for reference at least
If anybody has anything to add or has any other ideas please post
I want to sell some milan stuff here and donate the money.
For example: I have a calendar : 100 years AC Milan. Ok, it's from 1999, but surely a coll. item with a lot of information about the club and many pic's and stories about former and current players. ( till 1999 of course )
If someone is interested, has also something he wants to sell or has other ideas, please let me know....
heidi azalea
11-01-2005, 01:54
Sorry for this late reply...
I'm so sad to my houz mate...
I dont know how to act if he came back to our home once day later....
No idea in my head...
I read you posts long ago, but too busy to reply...
so sad to know what had happened to your housemate....
something to share... Miracles....
http://alinehumaira.multiply.com/photos/album/6
Maltese Charlie
11-01-2005, 10:18
The Singapore Red Cross so far has collected 18 million dollars (around 9 million euros) from the public.I was surprise, at the same time glad, over the amount of money collected considering the population in our country is only around 3 million.
I think countries all over the world are doing their part in helping the countries affected by this tragedy.People are donating their money because they feel for those losing their homes n families. Natural disasters,while devastating, bring out the best of human spirit :proud:
Very nice to see such small countries contributing so much and it's fair enough to feel yourself proud to be part of it.
I am feeling the same as you. My country Malta, a very small island in the middle of the mediterranean sea, with a population of less than 380,000, during a half day T.V show collected around 1,250,000 euros cash money, and in the same day were also collected:
480 tons of water (500,000 litres)
200 tons blankets and clothes
100 tons food and preserves
40 tons juices
10 tons of medicine including 1 million aspirin
and hundreds of camps
All these items are packed in 46 containers (20 feet) and worth 7,500,000 euros.
This convoy of containers plus the money and a team of doctors and nurses are on their way to Sri lanka.
Yes I felt full of joy and I am very proud to be a Maltese, such a small nation of not more than 380,000 people collecting around 9,000,000 euros in one day directly from the public.
Very noce gestures by your countries :respect:
I'm very angry with the goverment of mine, and with people here, first of all the president hasn't give the condolences to the countries that were affected by this terrible event.
The red cross, nor no body have put accounts available for donations, and people in here are like "we don't have enough money so how can we help?" Damn it!:mad: There are more poor countries that have donated money! And many of the countries that were hit by the tsunamy are far more poor than us...We are too cheap here!:mad::mad::mad:
I have tried to make my friends donate something to UNICEF or to Red Cross, which by now is the only way I can see we can help, I have told them to inform others about this, and in another forum(of my team here in my country) we are planning to make an account for the victims. At least there's a little group that actually cares.
Peachtot
12-01-2005, 00:19
I missed some...
What is your country mly ?
For all peoples or countries who give donation, Let's hope that your relief fund given to correct peoples who suffering by the disaster...
totti_jonaid
12-01-2005, 01:45
I felt really sorry for all those people who have been involved in this. It is really a sorrowfull scenario. My best wishes for the reconstruction of their land goes with them and I will do whatever I can to help them.
MAY GOD HELP THEM AND PASS THIS TOUGH MOMENTS AS FAST AS POSSIBLE
I missed some...
What is your country mly ?
For all peoples or countries who give donation, Let's hope that your relief fund given to correct peoples who suffering by the disaster...
A very selfish country called Costa Rica...(when we act this way is when I feel ashamed of our politicians, and our rich people, and Costa Rica) :( I really don't think the goverment will help now, since there are floods around the Caribean coast, although they should try to put telophone lines for donations to a place, people are sending complains to newspappers about this, at least.
Peachtot
13-01-2005, 05:26
oh I see...
Maybe, your government's so busy right now... :wow:
derekhski
13-01-2005, 19:12
With all the tragedy that has occured in South Asia. I thought I should mention that some very dear freinds of mine in Bangbo, Bangbo Thailand are Okay. They have suffered minimal in this area, since they are more protected than other regions of Thailand.
Again, I give my condolencse's to any and all that have had to suffer through this terrible ordeal. I can only hope that all of us take the oppurtunity to place a small amount of money into one of the local relief agencies that are trying so hard to aid those in the afflicted area's.
Found this story today:
http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/050118/1/3pxes.html
Figo to help Indonesian tsunami survivor
Real Madrid's Portuguese star Luis Figo wants to help a seven-year-old tsunami victim who was rescued in Indonesia over the weekend wearing a Portugal team jersey after spending three weeks alone.
"It is an incredible story. To find a child who survived so many days without eating, on top of it all wearing Portugal's jersey, is almost a miracle," he told Portuguese daily Correio da Manha.
"I am going to see what I can do as I also want to help," added the midfielder who made 110 appearances in 12 years for Portugal.
The boy, named Martunis, was found covered in mosquito bites by a British television crew on a Banda Aceh beach which was engulfed by the December 26 tsunami.
He was taken to hospital where he was recognised by another patient and then reunited with his grandfather and father.
Martunis became separated from his family and is believed to have lived on puddle water and dried noodles until he was rescued. Doctors expect him to make a full recovery.
His mother and two siblings are still missing.
The images of the child wearing the red-and-green jersey of the Portuguese national side has led to an outpouring of offers of aid from Portuguese football officials and players.
Manchester United's Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo has offered to put up the child at his home in England for a few days so he can see the Red Devils in action while Benfica striker Nuno Gomes said the Lisbon club was looking into how it could help the boy.
Portugal's Football Federation has also promised to help Martunis, with Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari saying they planned to buy the boy and his father land and a house in Indonesia.
ACMILAN1983
18-01-2005, 14:34
I like the fact they're helping, but the reason seems a bit ridiculous tbh
Peachtot
20-01-2005, 10:51
However figo concern about the victim of Tsunami in Aceh.
And in this case, we really apreciated...
No matter what the reason...
Sometimes the sense of nationality really improve us to help other peoples who suffering. We must give a credit for him.....
Al world gave honor for the victims of tsunami with 3min of silence.
Why don't we on MilanMania do same thing, but not with silence, why don't we all have same avatars or signaturs for one week or month...
Have someone idea for the signtures or avatars??? :u31:
Peachtot
27-01-2005, 10:52
I do..
two days after that disaster, i put my condolence in my signature... :kap:
OK, but what is with other members???
ACMILAN1983
28-01-2005, 13:57
OK, but what is with other members???
I don't mind doing your idea :)
I know that this can't help the victims of tsunami but this is simbolic help, that they know we are thinking on them...
Peachtot
31-01-2005, 10:37
Last 2 days, I saw the video record of tsunami in Phuket (Thailand) when the water came to the land like waves in the sea.
Quite same with Aceh, I think...
But in Aceh, there's no foreigner. Otherside in Phuket, there are many foreign tourists...
Sorry to hear that...
vBulletin® v3.7.1, Copyright ©2000-2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.