PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Individual Display


iregk
31-12-2004, 08:11
Right its a team game we all know that, but now and again 1 individual stands up and single handedly dominates a game. Taking the last 10 years, from the start of 94 to the end of '04 what do you think has been rossoneri's greatest individual display.

I have mine but I'd rather see others before revealing, that way I can't influence an opinion!

Willdie
31-12-2004, 08:19
This is a great topic!!! It's got me thinking so I'l have to get back to you

ACMILAN1983
31-12-2004, 13:21
wow, this is a hard one to decide.

off the top of my head, I think either the 4-0 against Barca in the CL final or the classic 6-0 of Inter are most dominating (although I might change my mind seeing as there are other games I can't remember)

Lombardia
31-12-2004, 15:24
great performances imo from 1994:

david beckham, england 1 vs 1 greece 2001, with a great performance capping it with a last minute free kick to put england into the world cup finals in japan/south korea

dejan savicevic, milan 4 vs 0 barcelona 1994i think we know all about this one, and who can forget that brilliant individual chipped goal to round off the victory

zinedine zidane, france 3-0 brazil 1998, he wins the world cup for france with 2 goals and a great display for most of the tournament despite his sending off!

hristov stoichkov, bulgaria 2-1 germany 1994, i was still young but i remember him in the quarter finals with some bald guy(!) and they managed to upset the mighty title holders germany!

roberto baggio 1994 all of the 1994 world cup. nuff said.

ronaldo 1997, when he used to be good, i have to admit i can't remember the team he played agaisnt but it was when he was with barca and he scored 4 goals and all of them were him going past several opponents.

davide ginola tottenham 5 v 0 burnley 1999, during his purple patch which won him player of the year, this perfomance put tottenham into the semi's of the fa cup (i think). he dominated the game plus scored a wonder goal, going past 5 players and slottinfg the ball calmy past the keeper

ryan giggs man u 2-1 arsenal 1999, the second best game that i've ever seen, capped with a magical solo goal from ryan giggs.

Rapierist
31-12-2004, 15:35
Dejan Savicevic in the 1994 Champions League Final......

Andriy Shevchenko in the 2003 Champions league semi-final against Inter (I know, many of you may be surprised, but the amount of kicking he received in that match was Unreal. Yet he still scored a super goal. In an AWAY leg :D )

Roy Keane for Manchester United against Juventus away in 1999.

and can I add Gattuso's running over every blade of grass in our last Champions league final win?

BG1
31-12-2004, 16:02
Sheva's performance vs Lazio this year was pretty damn good :)

ACMILAN1983
31-12-2004, 16:50
I misread earlier and put team performance. Well, I'll stick to Savicevic in '94 :)

ilgenio
31-12-2004, 22:12
I rate European trophies higher than domestic trophies, and of the Euro wins during the last 10 years, the greatest individual performance came from non other than Dejan "Il Genio" Savicevic on that magical night in Athens 10 years (it'll be 11 years soon so I better post this now ;) ) ago :proud:

mk18
31-12-2004, 22:45
milan last year has been the best performance ive ever seen in my life at one point...
i can go on for ages about this but... the best has to be the 2nd half in the derby last season with a seedorf scud missile to win it in the 84th minute after being down 2-0 at half time
other great performances... milan in turin 3-1, milan in roma 2-1, milan vs parma at home 3-1, milan vs depor at home 4-1

Henrik
01-01-2005, 08:19
For Milan: Savicevic 94 for sure (there has been some wonderful team performances after that, but on an individual basis, that one was a gem)
International: Zidane throughout the knock-out phase in WC 98, brilliant

shevaandkaka'
01-01-2005, 09:58
sheva was süper vs reggina
inzaghi was süper vs deportivo(4-0)
saviçeviç was wonderful vs barcelona 94 final
kaka' was wonderful vs reggina(3-1)

almilan
01-01-2005, 12:26
Milan: Gattuso Champions League Final
Ireland: Roy Keane against Portugal in World Cup Qualifer

The two of them never stopped running

Keane is past his best now but is still a great player him and gattuso is going to be a great battle

iregk
04-01-2005, 03:57
My choich has come up a few times. The best performance for Milan I think I ever seen was Dejan in the '94 final he just drove that game for its entirity.

Almilan, i like the Keane one, but I thought he was better in Lansdowne against Holland. Apart from that I believe the greatest ever Ireland display was from The Wall Paul McGrath against Italy in the 94 world cup. Sorry to the Azzuri half of the forum but he was awesome in that game. Did anyone actually know that after that match Baggio came into Ireland's dressing room to personally congratulate McGrath and ask for his jersey, signed!!!

m1ke
04-01-2005, 06:38
weah against verona! i forget what year :(

AC-GIOFFRE
04-01-2005, 07:06
Beating Barca 4-0 in the CL Final in 1994 has to be one of Milan's finest moments.

Also maybe the CL Semi Final in 2003 against Inter Merda. Two rivals trying to make a place into the Final is always worth Watching.

ACMILAN1983
04-01-2005, 10:05
weah against verona! i forget what year :(

I'm guessing you mean '96 when Weah scored argubly the greatest goal ever ;)

iregk
05-01-2005, 03:21
That 90 yard run? what a stunning piece of skill it was. Talking of goals I remember one Papin scored i think 93/94 (may be wrong) against Lazio from about 35 yards out curling it around into the top corner just after jumping over a takle and hitting it before the ball landed... amazing goal...

almilan
05-01-2005, 04:32
Almilan, i like the Keane one, but I thought he was better in Lansdowne against Holland. Apart from that I believe the greatest ever Ireland display was from The Wall Paul McGrath against Italy in the 94 world cup. Sorry to the Azzuri half of the forum but he was awesome in that game. Did anyone actually know that after that match Baggio came into Ireland's dressing room to personally congratulate McGrath and ask for his jersey, signed!!!

Yeah Keane's performance against Holland was amazing aswell but the Portugal game in Dublin still edges it for me.

I like the Paul McGrath one too, if we had him now we could win the world cup in 2006!

Do you go to any of the Irish games? I can never get tickets for the competitive home games, the only one I was at was the world cup qualifer against Georgia 2-0. I been to friendlies but there not the same.

Was one of the 40,000 Irish in Paris though for the French game.

Giovanni
05-01-2005, 04:40
I'm guessing you mean '96 when Weah scored argubly the greatest goal ever ;)
can't agree

that one was a cracker but if you watch maradona's goals you'll find out that beating 5/6 players was a common thing for him every match :eek:

almilan
05-01-2005, 04:56
Maradona's 2nd goal against England in 1986 was something else
so was his first! (Hand of God)

Giovanni
05-01-2005, 05:55
Maradona's 2nd goal against England in 1986 was something else
so was his first! (Hand of God)
despite it's his most famous if you look all his goals through his career and highlights, you'll find out he did such things almost everygame, but the fact he did that in a WC , with hundred millions of people watching it, made it the best goal ever

..he was rather used to dribble for fun,usually 3/4 players before giving away ball;

once he dribbled the keeper, could kick to net, but waited the defender, send him wrong way and then put the ball inside :eek:

iregk
05-01-2005, 07:01
Do you go to any of the Irish games? I can never get tickets for the competitive home games, the only one I was at was the world cup qualifer against Georgia 2-0. I been to friendlies but there not the same.


Al, I do go to the games in lansdowne regardless of how much i hate the place!!! Im usually always there for any game competitive or non. Frieldlies are not the same at all but still cant help but support the lads. I work around the corner from the fai and know all the staff there so getting them isn't usually too hard for me. If you have trouble next game gimme a shout and I'll see what I can do for you.

almilan
05-01-2005, 07:08
thanks i might need help on getting tickets, yeah landsdown is not exactly the san siro! Croke park the sooner the better!

i have a report of my trip to paris in the general football section, you might be interested in reading it. name of thread is france vs Ireland its on page 2 of the general football forums

ACMILAN1983
05-01-2005, 09:44
can't agree

that one was a cracker but if you watch maradona's goals you'll find out that beating 5/6 players was a common thing for him every match :eek:

true, but the one thing Weah did in that goal that I haven't even seen Maradona do in his career is to run from our box to the oppositions box and then coolly finishing the move.

Either way, I'm glad to have witnessed both players' careers and so many great moments ;)

Xudong
05-01-2005, 12:48
milan's victory over barca at athens was such a masterpiece, and the goal by savicevic was absolutely heavenly.

Stezagud
05-01-2005, 16:06
Best individual display for me is Keane vs Juve in 99 :proud:

There are a lot of worthy contenders but what makes Keane's stand out is that it was totally selfless :D

Utd lost 2 early goals against the side rated best in Europe (having played in the 3 previous finals) and Keane himself got booked, ruling him out of the final. Even though he knew he wouldnt play in the final he almost single handedly turned the game back in Utds favour, outclassed Davids and Zidane, scored the crucial breakthrough goal and continually inspired him teammates :cool:

Peachtot
06-01-2005, 04:26
weah against verona! i forget what year :(
AGREE !!
Opening match (1st week) 97/98 Italian Serie A against Hellas Verona.
What a wonderful individual counter attack after collecting the ball from Verona's cornerkick.
In the next day, a media called him " Mister Centrimetri " (Mr. 100 metres)

And that makes me feel that Weah more impressive than Sheva!

Sorry !! :dontkn: :dontkn:

almilan
06-01-2005, 04:26
Best individual display for me is Keane vs Juve in 99 :proud:

There are a lot of worthy contenders but what makes Keane's stand out is that it was totally selfless :D

Utd lost 2 early goals against the side rated best in Europe (having played in the 3 previous finals) and Keane himself got booked, ruling him out of the final. Even though he knew he wouldnt play in the final he almost single handedly turned the game back in Utds favour, outclassed Davids and Zidane, scored the crucial breakthrough goal and continually inspired him teammates :cool:

Roy is getting nominated a lot. I saw that game too and its true he played Zidane in his prime and Davids off the field pretty much by himself. I think most Premiership fans would consider that the best indivual performance ever but believe me his performances for Ireland against Portugal and Holland in qualifers for the 2002 world cup were even better

Peachtot
06-01-2005, 04:40
Ronaldo against extremadura and compostella (barca's jersey)
Actually he had plenty of sheer magic

The phenomenon was come !!

Stezagud
06-01-2005, 15:59
Roy is getting nominated a lot. I saw that game too and its true he played Zidane in his prime and Davids off the field pretty much by himself. I think most Premiership fans would consider that the best indivual performance ever but believe me his performances for Ireland against Portugal and Holland in qualifers for the 2002 world cup were even better

I did see the Holland game where he got Overmars (or Zenden maybe?) with a crunching tackle after about 10 seconds :cool: after that the rest of the Dutch players didnt go near him :D

iregk
06-01-2005, 16:50
That was Overmars, if you watch a little further after two minutes Kluivert got the ball 30 yards out and Keane nearly put his leg into the south terrace. From the rest of the game Kluivert was afraid of the ball...

Roy is a legend but all the Ireland fans seem to forget a preformance i mentioned earlier, McGrath in USA 94 against Italy. One of the most amazing defence displays ever. Also given the fact that he had artritus in both knees and could hardly walk at the time!!!!

Stezagud
06-01-2005, 17:06
McGrath was brilliant back then, Utd let him go because of his drinking/injuries etc but he was fantastic for Villa even though he didnt even train :D

He's fallen on hard times though now, i remember him being reported as homeless :(

almilan
06-01-2005, 17:22
i think he is doing alright for himself again now which is good. I saw him at Dublin Airport in the summer. He was walking past me and I said hello how are you and he said hi hows it going back to me.

Uh Ah Paul McGrath is a favourite Irish football song

Stezagud
06-01-2005, 17:29
i think Utd used to sing it too, and then changed the tune slightly for Cantona :D

iregk
06-01-2005, 18:10
Yeah he is doing ok now, living in my county, wicklow, out in the sticks next to nothing.

Maldini_Forever
16-01-2005, 21:04
Weah is the best ..... solo run from back to front .... run through about 5 defenders + gk.... and cool finishing ... a MUST HAVE video for that one as a milanmania :D

BaggioForever
17-01-2005, 01:24
Weah's solo has to be the most spectecular i've seen in a Milan jersey

However, Baggio's solo run against the Mexicans during World Cup 94 ,who cooly tucked the ball @ the back of the net, leaving the far-stretched keeper helpless :D was simply breath-taking~

Joey Faria
17-01-2005, 12:22
luis figo bring portugal back from the dead vs. England in the Euro 2000...

Kui
18-01-2005, 04:50
Oh thank god we have people with good memories about the history of this club! Yes definitely King George's sole player goal. When you think about it really. The rest of the team could have gone to take a piss and he would score that goal.