PDA

View Full Version : Italy for Euro 2012


almilan
12-01-2005, 19:10
2012 is a long way away but looks like Italy is planning for 2012. I think Italy would be a great choice passionate fans, friendly people, some wondeful stadiums the San Siro, the Olympico etc and a good climate. Italia 90 is legendary in Irish story telling. Thousands of Irish were at the world cup in Italy in 1990 and a great time was apparently had. I was only 6 at the time but in the summer of 2012 i will be 28 so i should be able to go this time. I would love to see Ireland playing in the San Siro.


Italy make Euro 2012 bid Wednesday 12 January, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Italian Football Federation will make a bid to host the 2012 European Championships.

Italy have been linked with the tournament for some months and it has now been confirmed that the country will make an attempt to grab the event.

Federation chief Franco Carraro today held talks with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi who promised government backing.

The FIGC need the government’s full support given that numerous stadia, already built for the 1990 World Cup, would need restructuring.

The peninsula has already hosted the tournament twice in the past in 1968, when the Azzurri won it, and 1980.

UEFA, European football’s governing body, will make a decision on whom to give the Finals to in December 2006.

It is understood that Italy will face competition from Greece and a joint-bid from Poland and the Ukraine for the 2012 games.

iregk
13-01-2005, 13:57
Yeah read that too. Apparently the san siro will be targeted for over haul as it no longer meets the required standard to host such an event!!! And I believe that fifa and uefa also don't want any stadiums with running tracks anymore.

Sandra
13-01-2005, 15:22
o gosh, then i'll have finished uni i think...2012... i'll be like... hold on, 2012-1986 equals... =26!!! i'll have finished uni i hope bythen, awesome!
then i'll go with my husband to all the games... no actually i won't be married at 26, so i'll gowithmy boyfriend ;)

it would be cool to have it in italy tho, i like the idea..

2012... oh gosh, that's like ages away...

Franco6
15-01-2005, 12:08
Oh my God, 2012 seems will never come :wth: I think at that time there will be some Franco juniours running around :devs:

ACMILAN1983
15-01-2005, 15:28
This thread is depressing, just made me realise I'll be about 28-29 by 2012 (at that time I'll probably think about settling down :( ) :D

almilan
15-01-2005, 16:41
Apparently the san siro will be targeted for over haul as it no longer meets the required standard to host such an event!!! And I believe that fifa and uefa also don't want any stadiums with running tracks anymore.

the san siro the scala of calcio not the required standard?
how come?

Giovanni
15-01-2005, 17:28
Oh my God, 2012 seems will never come :wth: I think at that time there will be some Franco juniours running around :devs:
Zio Giovanni will take a bunch of bananas for the little Franchini around :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:


:groan: ;)

Giovanni
15-01-2005, 17:29
the san siro the scala of calcio not the required standard?
how come?
the italian stadia need a check up and some new setups (hope it makes sense in english)

almilan
16-01-2005, 07:44
yeah it kinda makes sense but its surprising

AC-GIOFFRE
16-01-2005, 21:22
I will be 30 when that comes

I hear Greece are also making a bid for it. I heard on a Football show radio station back home that Italy may not get it because of racism.

That happens every where anyway.

Where ever it is going to be I want Italia to win it.

FORZA ITALIA

Stezagud
17-01-2005, 10:59
I heard on a Football show radio station back home that Italy may not get it because of racism.

yeah, id heard that too. Di Canio's "celebrations" couldnt have been worse timed :mad:

Franco6
17-01-2005, 14:17
Zio Giovanni will take a bunch of bananas for the little Franchini around :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:


:groan: ;)


:rr30: :doh: :rocky: :rocky: :w209: :w209:

almilan
01-02-2005, 10:27
its official now, they have applied but a lot of competition

Italy are one of ten nations to have registered their interest in hosting the 2012 European Championships.

Italy, Azerbaijan, Greece, Romania, Russia and Turkey are the six countries who have made solo bids.

Croatia and Hungary, plus Poland and Ukraine, have decided to make joint bids for the tournament.

UEFA will select a three-nation shortlist in November 2005 before naming the hosts in December 2006.

Italy have already staged the tournament on two occasions in the past, when they won it in 1968 and reached the semi-finals in 1980.