PDA

View Full Version : Why I think Sheva's absence could be to our advantage (Milan vs Man Utd)


devoted_dm
28-02-2005, 12:00
As Andriy Shevchenko is currently vacationing in Spain, it seems less and less likely that he will play against Man Utd next week. I suppose I should be worried. He is the reigning Golden Ball winner, a superstar striker who can win games on his own, and this season he has proved to everyone just how much his team depends on him and his goals. Am I worried though? No.
After his injury against Cagliari, we have played two matches without him. And these weren't just regular matches, they were a Champions League tie against Man Utd at Old Trafford, and a derby against Inter at the San Siro. These matches were as big as they come, and we were without our beloved Sheva in both of them.
Against Man Utd, the whole team impressed, playing fast, flowing football with a rock-solid defence that made sure Man Utd never scored. It was a brilliant performance by the 11 in white. Last night it was a different game altogether. Inter were good, at times better than Milan, but never managed to break through our defence. It wasn't the best of games for us. We never managed to keep possession in the midfield, and the players looked like they were somewhat tired, whether physically or mentally. Anyhow, we still managed to win through a lucky(?) goal. And we held on for the remaining 15 minutes, making us the first team to beat Inter this season.

So what have we acheived without Shevchenko in the last week?

1. Beating Man Utd at the Old Trafford, winning our first away match ever against an English side and giving us a very good chance of going through to the next round of the CL.
2. Beating Inter in the derby and ending their 40 match unbeaten streak.

We did this without Sheva, without Pippo and without Stam. It wasn't always pretty, but we got the results we needed, which to me proves that this team is not as dependant on certain players as we think it is. We didn't win these matches through outplaying our opponents, but thanks to an amazing team spirit that makes everyone fight for every ball, give all that they have in every tackle, and never give up. I don't think we will do fine against Man Utd without Shevchenko - I know we will!

Forza Milan!

Franco6
28-02-2005, 12:50
I'm not worried. BTW in the champions cup we have a good advantage we should not risk Sheva. And games vs Atalanta etc we can do well without Sheva

Debs
28-02-2005, 13:13
As Andriy Shevchenko is currently vacationing in Spain,


Thought he was recuperating from a nasty broken cheekbone???

Stefan
28-02-2005, 13:19
From planetfootball.com

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=258731&CPID=5&CLID=120&lid=&title=Inzaghi's+United+aim&channel=Italy

It looks like we might have Pippo back anyway, which would at least give us another striking option. Although I can't imagine him being anywhere near fit!

As for Sheva, I think we could do without him if we had to, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with him in the team, especially against Man U, who are still not a bad side, even if we beat them last week.

K77SH C
28-02-2005, 20:59
Yeah the team has shown great character, problem is once the game starts all that goes out of the window and we will need to be at our best. But I do agree we shouldnt risk Sheva, afterall he may hurt himself again and even if he doesnt surely he wouldnt be the same brave Sheva straight away then again he is a real lion these days. Whatever happens lets just trust in Carlo. I was really critical of him earlier in the season, but hes been brilliant recently.

devoted_dm
01-03-2005, 12:38
Thought he was recuperating from a nasty broken cheekbone???

Well that too. :)

Red&Black2005
01-03-2005, 13:26
I suppose it depends on how one defines advantage. If the roles were reversed and we needed to score goals to win, yes, I would be worried. However, with us having a goal lead I feel confident that the defense and midfield can once again rise to the challenge and hold United in check. That being said, United had some opportunites that were created with their speed, especially Ronaldo. We need to be careful here. A second from Milan would be nice and give us some room.

But let us be honest with ourselves… the loan striker, in this case Crespo, hasn’t done much of anything in either the United tie or the Milan derby. He really missed an opportunity to net a second for Milan in the United tilt after a beautiful thru ball from Kaka, but other than that I haven’t seen much from him (his goal was really a gift from Carroll, who I noticed was pulled in their next league match in favor of Howard). To be fair playing Inter, who has made an art form out of winning the coveted draw, is difficult at best as the seem to play 9 men behind the ball for long portions of the game. But United was open and will play that way once again. He needs to step up and make something happen for us. With Sheva in the game, defenders are not only aware of him but focus on him, which opens up space for the likes of Kaka and Seedorf. With Crespo out there, from my vantage point, it appears that the defense is more focused on closing down the likes of Kaka and Seedorf as opposed to Crespo.

Crespo and Inzaghi are adequate subs, but as for lone strikers..well, not exactly the players they once were. Perhaps I am being overly critical. I just think that Milan needs to consider an upgrade in this position in the off-season.

Henrik
01-03-2005, 13:29
I only hope that when Sheva comes back, he gets to wear one of those "Jason" masks. He would scare the living hell out of opponents :)

almilan
01-03-2005, 15:24
i dont consider it as an advantage, we clearly missed sheva in the final 3rd against inter

nestamania
02-03-2005, 08:44
sheva is on his vacation?seems like crespo needs to work alone in the match against man u while sheva enjoys his vacation.however, hope sheva will really enjoy himself in spain. :27rr: