View Full Version : The best Goalkeeper
totti_jonaid
16-03-2005, 01:42
My choice is Buffon certainly he is the best. His reflex are better then of any other keeper in the world plus on his day he can win you matches on his own. And what do you think?
I agree and I would say he is one of a few that can be considered the best with Dida, Cech, Casillas being the others.
I just wish Buffon was as convincing for the NT as he is for Juve. To me he hasn't been as good as he can be for the NT.
ACMILAN1983
16-03-2005, 06:09
Reza put exactly what I was about to put
sehnsucht79
16-03-2005, 07:54
Im not saying this because I support Juventus but really, it has GOT to be Buffon. No one else. You have other keepers who come close to him, but doesnt reach his standards.
On the subject of goalkeepers, has anyone actually SEEN Lev Yashin on video ? I think I've seen a video of him once (not sure meself), but its a regrettable thing really, listening to people praising him but never actually seen his saves.
oskarius
16-03-2005, 10:01
Buffon..yes, but I can't say he is better then Dida.. :rollani:
sehnsucht79
16-03-2005, 10:10
You're being biased.
oskarius
16-03-2005, 10:32
You're being biased.
No no..I meant I would never replace Dida with Buffon..
definatly dida then buffon then maybe frey although cech is having a good season and so is casillas
my top five
1) Dida (maybe a little biased but honestly i would not swap him for any other keeper)
2) Buffon
3) Casillas
4) Cech
5) Given (maybe a little biased again, he is the Irish keeper but he is very good)
BaggioForever
16-03-2005, 21:02
actually, dida and buffon are inter-swappable i feel. They are both VERY good. :pp20:
I dunno why people keep saying that Petr Cech is the BEST keeper in the world?? :d33: Some even voted him 2nd to Buffon while Dida is third??!! :wallbang: I dun believe it. I think he is damn over-rated!!
Man i hate Chelsea~ :dumpf:
Celtic_and_SRFC
16-03-2005, 21:20
Dida:Dodgy!
2) Buffon: Class most of the time.
3) Casillas
4) Cech
5) Given He's good when he's good :rotfl:
Keeper's hall of fame?????????????
Oliver Khan!!
Christopher
16-03-2005, 21:34
Personally I like Dida better, I don't understand the Buffon hype . . . maybe I havent seen him enough.
sehnsucht79
16-03-2005, 22:38
True. Of course some of you wouldnt swipe Dida for Buffon, but regardless of the teams they play for or personal preference - based on their goalkeeping talents alone - Buffon has got to top the list.
The most important thing is that ON THE 28TH OF MAY 2003, DIDA SAVED ONE MORE THAN buffon. :u56:
SALTA CON NOIIII
OH NELSON DIDA
SALTA CON NOI
OH NELSON DIDA
sehnsucht79
17-03-2005, 23:11
thats because our players decided to be 3 yr old boys who couldnt even kick a ball properly on that day. you cant judge just based on that. thats idiocy.
thats because our players decided to be 3 yr old boys who couldnt even kick a ball properly on that day. you cant judge just based on that. thats idiocy.
bla bla bla bla....... hope that Liverpool can kick your a$$es :p283:
zlatanov
18-03-2005, 16:21
Sehnsucht, you are really a bit out of sorts on this. What I mean is that you call other's choice of Dida "biased" while your saying Buffon is the best while being a Juve fan is not biased at all and a most objective opinion.
Apart from that, Buffon IS a great goalkeeper but all this hype that was created around him by the Italian media in search of their Dino Zoff of the 21st century, has gone way over the top. Buffon has had many, many bad moments. He has let in goals that normally every good goalkeeper would have saved but all this has very opportunistically avoided the attention of the media. Buffon is hailed without limits when he has a good game but when he performs at an average level, and these are not so rare occasions, his mistakes are covered up and no italian jurnalist seems willing to focus on that.
All in all, your opinion on Buiffon being the world's best is just as biased as any Milan's fan saying that Dida is numero 1. For me there are several goalkeepers that could be called "one of the best" and there is no such thing as the best. If I could choose, I would take Cech over anybody for the guy is just 22 years old and has a good 10-12 years in fron of him, apart from that Dida, Buffon, Cech, or Cassilas, in no particular order, are probably the 4 best keepers in the world today. All this is very relative for a keeper's perfomance depends most and foremost on the defence infront of him so maybe out there we have a great talent but the crappy defenders in fron of him just don't allow him to be seen.
rossoneroid
19-03-2005, 01:57
Calm down, guys. Everyone has his or her opinions on the best gk. I'd rather choose Cech, been watch chel$$ki game several times and sometimes when their defence is weak, he often do awesome saves. Lucky Chel$$ki get him. And if I didn't wrong, he came from a french club which he became Kameni's sub (When Kameni still playing Le Havre) ??
On the other hand could be Taibi vs Southampton, Carroll vs Milan.
just kidding..MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
sehnsucht79
19-03-2005, 08:55
Sehnsucht, you are really a bit out of sorts on this. What I mean is that you call other's choice of Dida "biased" while your saying Buffon is the best while being a Juve fan is not biased at all and a most objective opinion.
Apart from that, Buffon IS a great goalkeeper but all this hype that was created around him by the Italian media in search of their Dino Zoff of the 21st century, has gone way over the top. Buffon has had many, many bad moments. He has let in goals that normally every good goalkeeper would have saved but all this has very opportunistically avoided the attention of the media. Buffon is hailed without limits when he has a good game but when he performs at an average level, and these are not so rare occasions, his mistakes are covered up and no italian jurnalist seems willing to focus on that.
All in all, your opinion on Buiffon being the world's best is just as biased as any Milan's fan saying that Dida is numero 1. For me there are several goalkeepers that could be called "one of the best" and there is no such thing as the best. If I could choose, I would take Cech over anybody for the guy is just 22 years old and has a good 10-12 years in fron of him, apart from that Dida, Buffon, Cech, or Cassilas, in no particular order, are probably the 4 best keepers in the world today. All this is very relative for a keeper's perfomance depends most and foremost on the defence infront of him so maybe out there we have a great talent but the crappy defenders in fron of him just don't allow him to be seen.
Yes, perhaps it was wrong of me to automatically one's claim as a 'biased' one when Dida was picked over Buffon. But I digress - Buffon might be hyped about and it is true he has his bad moments like any other player (who could ever forget his first flop for Juventus against Chievo, that was hilarious) but Gigi Buffon has really come up with some SERIOUS FANTASTIC saves that I personally feel (after watching other keepers I might add) no other keeper can do. This is however not to belittle the other contenders for this title, Dida is also superb and Cech like you mentioned is just 22 and he has been fascinating to watch although I have never been really keen on Casillas much now.. In conclusion, we are fortunate to have such great goalkeepers in our hands but comparing every single required skill of goalkeeping for each goalie, most people and myself find that Buffon tops the list.
my list of goalkeepersw goes like this
1) dida
2) buffon
3) frey
4) casillas
5) cech
i tihnk the difference between dida and buffon is that buffon looks more spectacular when he saves, like maradona on another thread said that robinho wants to make the crowd go oooooohhhh and aaaaaaahhhhh, buffon is like that, and hes successful at it, dida is more reliable i think, his positioning is much better and when a cross is coming very rarely do u see him not getting hold of it, and thats why people dont find him better than buffon, hes not as exciting as buffon but hes definatly more reliable.
in terms of excitment i think frey is as exciting as buffon, but wether he can do that with a bigger club than parma remains a mystery, i think hes extremely underrated and im still wondering why france dont start him or even chose him, its not like im complaining though. i really hope we sign him when dida retires!!!
no I hope we don't sign Frey. I hate show boating keepers. I absolutely would not trade anyone in the world for Dida, he's commanding and very reliable and when assesing any keeper those would be the two words I'd favour. I don't think he's the best in the world for saving impossible shots, I do think Buffon is better than him in that respect.
However that said, sometimes when choosing the best striker in the world or best midfielder, you look at the quality of the goals, the skill and the ability to do things others can't, this is not always the player who sits on top of the scorers chart. and that's why I wouldn't have Dida, I believe although he may not be capable of every astonishing save Buffon is (some are still amazing though.) I think having him between our sticks means we concede fewer goals than we would with any other keeper.
Christopher
20-03-2005, 20:05
thats because our players decided to be 3 yr old boys who couldnt even kick a ball properly on that day. you cant judge just based on that. thats idiocy.
nice excuse . . . rather lame
Personally I like Dida better, I don't understand the Buffon hype . . . maybe I havent seen him enough.
I don't understand the hype either, I think he would be a more effective goalkeeper if he actually caught the balls instead of punching them back out to his opponents. I think women and gay men fancy him due to the nude photos of him and his schlong.
Casillas has more class than Buffon. Buffon reminds me of an enraged punching monkey infront of his goal cage, also for the fact he will hump anything that moves.
Stezagud
21-03-2005, 11:06
I'd put Buffon as no.1, both he and Dida are completely trusted by their defences but Buffon has the edge on shotstopping.
Casillas is a decent keeper but he isnt at the level of Dida and Buffon yet, he still makes the occasional bad decision.
Cech is only in his first season at Chelsea so its too early to judge how good he really is. Most of the shots on Chelsea's goal get blocked by John Terry, who saves as many with his face as Cech does with his hands :D Also, remember that Tim Howard was Premiership keeper of the year in his first season, 1 bad mistake can set a keeper back a long way :eek:
:D Also, remember that Tim Howard was Premiership keeper of the year in his first season, 1 bad mistake can set a keeper back a long way :eek:
Even Dida can attest to that :kap:
The kid who played for Roma looks to be one for the future
Also, remember that Tim Howard was Premiership keeper of the year in his first season, 1 bad mistake can set a keeper back a long way :eek:
I know, I think it's ridiculous, I'm a man U fan (i didn't even know which way I swung more until the the run-up to the CL tie) and I keep hearing all this moaning about a new goalie. Personally I think it was a case of difficult-second-season syndrome and they need to give Howard another run, I think he'll turn out to be an exellent keeper.
i think they need a new goalkeeper.. u can never be too sure, united shouldnt take any risks now, they need a GK and a DM and for god sakes theyre the richest team on earth and those 2 positions are usually some of the cheapest out there
FORZA DIDA!
Stezagud
22-03-2005, 13:17
I know, I think it's ridiculous, I'm a man U fan (i didn't even know which way I swung more until the the run-up to the CL tie) and I keep hearing all this moaning about a new goalie. Personally I think it was a case of difficult-second-season syndrome and they need to give Howard another run, I think he'll turn out to be an exellent keeper.
yeah, when we didnt have Rio only Gary Neville really took charge of situations so Howard had to make a lot of decisions that he should never have had to worry about. When the defence and keeper lack communication an error is almost a certainty :(
He's done good since getting back into the side but im not sure if he'll be first choice next year as Gill has announced Utd will be looking to replace Carroll as it seems he wont sign his new contract...
i think they need a new goalkeeper.. u can never be too sure, united shouldnt take any risks now, they need a GK and a DM and for god sakes theyre the richest team on earth and those 2 positions are usually some of the cheapest out there
Profits have been hit by 2 years of underperforming and a big investment in Rooney so im not sure what funds are there in the summer. The midfielder that comes would have to be absolute top class and those players do cost money, Essien has put himself in the shop window already so maybe he'll be the one.
sehnsucht79
26-03-2005, 06:59
nice excuse . . . rather lame
it is true. juventus might've lost but buffon I feel did well in the CL final's penalties. besides, judging him just based on that is ludicrous.
casillas?
I can list at least five german goalkeppers who are as well as him or even better ;-). Kahn, Lehmann, Rost, Enke, Hildebrand, Wiese,...
I don't think so, I'd rather casillas in my team than any of those players. He's been madrids best player this season.
I'd put Buffon as no.1, both he and Dida are completely trusted by their defences but Buffon has the edge on shotstopping.
Casillas is a decent keeper but he isnt at the level of Dida and Buffon yet, he still makes the occasional bad decision.
Cech is only in his first season at Chelsea so its too early to judge how good he really is. Most of the shots on Chelsea's goal get blocked by John Terry, who saves as many with his face as Cech does with his hands :D Also, remember that Tim Howard was Premiership keeper of the year in his first season, 1 bad mistake can set a keeper back a long way :eek:
Really?? I guess Buffon's skill in shotstopping won him a Champion's League title 2 years ago.
Do you not remember the amazing save Dida pulled off against Juve when they drew with us at the San Siro last year??? I doubt Buffon could have pulled that off.
My vote is for Dida.
btw if we are talking about Italian keepers, Pagliuca was way better than Buffon.
Listen Buffon fame came because he was talented at a young age for Serie A. But as he got older, he hasnt progressed one bit in my opinion. I will even say he is over rated. I consider his talent like that when one takes an IQ test. That is when you divide your knowledge (skills) by your age. So Buffon hasnt got better over the years but worse. That's my opinion. I dont know about what you guys think of it, but there it is.
FORZA MILAN!
Peachtot
29-03-2005, 09:59
Keeper's hall of fame?????????????
for me.... Schmeichel...
awesome.... :pp20:
for me.... Schmeichel...
awesome.... :pp20:
Ditto's
Dude! What the Fck happen, Chelsea beatin Barca??? I was angry! I wanted our bet to be on.
Peachtot
29-03-2005, 10:18
Ditto's
Dude! What the Fck happen, Chelsea beatin Barca??? I was angry! I wanted our bet to be on.
And you saw his brilliant goal without any step for barca's 2nd goal ??
Like I said before..., in Barca HE's the main brain ACTOR...like he was show off with his sheer magic all the time...
But in MILAN..., IT'S NOT ABOUT KAKA...
Crespo became the star for 2 both match against ManU...
Even there's no european football of the year, MILAN still MILAN
I Meravigliosi...
zlatanov
29-03-2005, 10:20
casillas?
I can list at least five german goalkeppers who are as well as him or even better ;-). Kahn, Lehmann, Rost, Enke, Hildebrand, Wiese,...
Of these only Hildebrand deserves attention, IMO. He is easily Germany's best GK right now with Kahn well beyond his best. Overall, however, Kahn from 3 years or so ago is definitely in top 3 of the last 10-15 years.
As for the rest, even at their best ever, they can't measure up with Casillas.
the best keeper is defenedly casillas. but one of the best is southamtons Antti Niemi.
XZeRo3003
30-03-2005, 23:11
Cech Anybody????
I think Cech is the top keeper right now, followed by Dida then Buffon then Casillas
I don't know much about those German Keepers, but I don't think Germany's supposed top two are better than Casillas (Kahn and Lehmann of course)
And you saw his brilliant goal without any step for barca's 2nd goal ??
Like I said before..., in Barca HE's the main brain ACTOR...like he was show off with his sheer magic all the time...
But in MILAN..., IT'S NOT ABOUT KAKA...
Crespo became the star for 2 both match against ManU...
Even there's no european football of the year, MILAN still MILAN
I Meravigliosi...
I tell you what. He did impress me very much at that match. I will at least meet you halfway on your assesment of Dinho. But Kaka has way more potential for Milan at this point in time. Dinho I think has peaked at his game already and can only go down from there. That's just my opinion.
Boy it would have been nice to see em play though huh??
Stezagud
31-03-2005, 09:53
the best keeper is defenedly casillas. but one of the best is southamtons Antti Niemi.
Casillas isnt the best yet but he has the potential, i think Niemi is just this years *busy keeper* anher example being Friedel at Blackburn. They look good despite conceding 3 or 4 per game :D while Niemi has been injured the kid that replaced him, Paul Smith, has got man of the match almost every game Southampton have played and made some of the best saves this year....
Cech Anybody????
He makes errors but they so rarely get punished that they are soon forgotten. He does have good concentration though, which is essential at a top club.
He makes errors but they so rarely get punished that they are soon forgotten. He does have good concentration though, which is essential at a top club.
yes, he made quite a couple of errors. even in barca-chelsea first leg when he drop the ball and the defenders have to clear the ball. but seem like people don't notice this errors until they result in goals. IMO its 1.dida, 2.buffon, 3.casillas, 4. cech.
dida and buffon are really really close. i would say they are at the same level, depend on what you like, you may choose either on of them to be the top. casillas and cech are further behind, still have quite a number of errors in their game.
BTW i also agree that buffon was stunning at a young age but he have never improve on that. the best shot-stopper with the fastest reflex i have seen is abbiati, he was really really fast. i still can't believe how the heck he manage to make some of the saves he did but he have quite a number of weakness like high balls, crosses......but in a 1-1 situation, i almost always expect him to save rather than the attacker scoring. but dida's consistent and steady way of playing result in abbiati current state, i really hope i can see him at his best again but not against us, of course.
sehnsucht79
01-04-2005, 05:16
If someone prefers Dida to Buffon, it is fine but tell me how is it possible that someone can so proudly claim Buffon is inferior to Dida based on that ONE CL final? :googly:
Pagliuca was good, I still dont really get why he was suddenly discarded from the Italian NT. Perruzzi on his days can be awesome.
Casillas at a young age playing for RM with all that pressure and being able to handle it should be credited IMO. He might not be on top as he does make errors occassionally etc, but deserves a mention.
u wanna talk about concentration then dida is the first name on my mind... u rarely see him caught napping.. i think what makes him good is his concentration, he might not pull off amazing saves but thats because his positioning is the best due to his concentration...
i cant believe some of u dont even mention frey in there... what should he do to get your attention, once he leaves parma ull soon put him in that list ahead of casillas or buffon maybe!
pagliuca is frickin amazing
whos better IYO: pagliuca or schmeicel?
i cant believe some of u dont even mention frey in there... what should he do to get your attention,
Frey makes some fantastic saves, but he is'nt as solid as Dida or Buffon or even Cech for that matter, he is like our Abbiati, good but not Solid, I think Toldo might also be better than Frey. :u125:
zlatanov
03-04-2005, 07:21
Frey makes some fantastic saves, but he is'nt as solid as Dida or Buffon or even Cech for that matter, he is like our Abbiati, good but not Solid, I think Toldo might also be better than Frey. :u125:
Agree, Frey is very inconsistent in his performances - in some games he can be amazing but then in the next game he looks very much out of sorts and commits childish/amateur errors. Unless he vastly improves his concentration he will never be among the likes of Dida and Buffon.
Stezagud
03-04-2005, 07:42
u wanna talk about concentration then dida is the first name on my mind... u rarely see him caught napping.. i think what makes him good is his concentration, he might not pull off amazing saves but thats because his positioning is the best due to his concentration...
yeah, concentration is key to goalkeeping at the top level and Dida so good now because he can keep his focus better than the rest. Inspiring confidence in defenders is another vital factor and again thats were Dida, Buffon Cech, etc excel.
whos better IYO: pagliuca or schmeicel?
Id say Schmeichel (surprising eh? :D )
He's the best keeper i've seen because he had everything a top keeper needs :cool:
vBulletin® v3.7.1, Copyright ©2000-2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.