meazza
04-05-2005, 08:47
An eventual Scudetto play-off between Milan and Juventus could be affected by call-ups to the Brazil squad.
Should the two teams, who also face each other on Sunday, finish the season level on points then they will meet on June 14 and 18 to see who will be crowned League champions.
However, there is a real risk that Juve’s Emerson and the Milan trio of Dida, Kaka and Cafu could all be away on international duty.
Brazil have two World Cup qualifiers on June 4 and 8 before they kick-off their Confederations’ Cup campaign against Greece on June 16.
Although the tournament is only a ‘minor’ affair, the Brazilian Football Federation have maintained they will call up their big name players.
"This is a massive problem," commented League President and Milan chief Adriano Galliani.
"Brazil have the right to name their best individuals for that tournament. But let us not try to fix anything before it is broken. Hopefully we won’t need a Spareggio."
However, Inter and Roma are also unhappy with the summer event as they could be without Adriano and Mancini respectively for the Coppa Italia Final – should they get there.
Those two Italian Cup matches are set for June 12 and 15, with the Nerazzurri particularly keen for Adriano to not be selected.
"I’ll speak with the Brazilian Federation," recently stated President Giacinto Facchetti. "We need to find a solution that suits us, them and the player."
Boss Roberto Mancini is also concerned about the South American’s physical condition after he spent last summer on international duty as well.
"The player evidently needs a break," said Mancio. "We’ll ask that he is not selected for the Confederations’ Cup. I hope that Adriano asks the same thing from his Coach."
-----------------------------------------------------------
This problem has surfaced time and time again and something needs to be done about it. Brazil are fully entitled to call up their best squad when they play but I'm beginning to wonder about whether they take the club obligations of their players seriously. It is after all the club not the national team that employs these players. I remember the Fifa president said that Brazils World Cup qualifying campaign would have to change as they play too many games yet I've heard nothing about this since it was mentioned. I do actually think though in this case Serie A is equally to blame, I know it was a legal problem that forced the league to increase by two teams but I think plans should be made over summer to have the 2006/2007 season back to and 18 league top division. If we get to the CL final we will be in a horrible situation of playing it midweek in between two crucial league games whilst our opponents have been relaxing and preparing for over a week. Do the Italian football association not want or not expect Italian teams to be in europe at this stage? Had this been a 34 game season any play-offs could have been decided in the weeks leading up to the Champions League final as we would have been finished the league by now.
Should the two teams, who also face each other on Sunday, finish the season level on points then they will meet on June 14 and 18 to see who will be crowned League champions.
However, there is a real risk that Juve’s Emerson and the Milan trio of Dida, Kaka and Cafu could all be away on international duty.
Brazil have two World Cup qualifiers on June 4 and 8 before they kick-off their Confederations’ Cup campaign against Greece on June 16.
Although the tournament is only a ‘minor’ affair, the Brazilian Football Federation have maintained they will call up their big name players.
"This is a massive problem," commented League President and Milan chief Adriano Galliani.
"Brazil have the right to name their best individuals for that tournament. But let us not try to fix anything before it is broken. Hopefully we won’t need a Spareggio."
However, Inter and Roma are also unhappy with the summer event as they could be without Adriano and Mancini respectively for the Coppa Italia Final – should they get there.
Those two Italian Cup matches are set for June 12 and 15, with the Nerazzurri particularly keen for Adriano to not be selected.
"I’ll speak with the Brazilian Federation," recently stated President Giacinto Facchetti. "We need to find a solution that suits us, them and the player."
Boss Roberto Mancini is also concerned about the South American’s physical condition after he spent last summer on international duty as well.
"The player evidently needs a break," said Mancio. "We’ll ask that he is not selected for the Confederations’ Cup. I hope that Adriano asks the same thing from his Coach."
-----------------------------------------------------------
This problem has surfaced time and time again and something needs to be done about it. Brazil are fully entitled to call up their best squad when they play but I'm beginning to wonder about whether they take the club obligations of their players seriously. It is after all the club not the national team that employs these players. I remember the Fifa president said that Brazils World Cup qualifying campaign would have to change as they play too many games yet I've heard nothing about this since it was mentioned. I do actually think though in this case Serie A is equally to blame, I know it was a legal problem that forced the league to increase by two teams but I think plans should be made over summer to have the 2006/2007 season back to and 18 league top division. If we get to the CL final we will be in a horrible situation of playing it midweek in between two crucial league games whilst our opponents have been relaxing and preparing for over a week. Do the Italian football association not want or not expect Italian teams to be in europe at this stage? Had this been a 34 game season any play-offs could have been decided in the weeks leading up to the Champions League final as we would have been finished the league by now.