PDA

View Full Version : It's for the kids .....


Staci
12-05-2005, 07:15
:p286: I need some help from all of you who play soccer. My firm has sponsored a squirt division (6-8 years of age) soccer team, and well, I have offered to help. Any excuse to get out of work and into the sun two days a week ...lol I need some tips for drills, footwork, pointers of ANY sort, etc. to help them learn proper techniques and get the most out of their experience. It appears as though the coach has no background and is just winging it. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreaciated.
Thanks a bunch ! :p286:


KhRiS, Franco, Billy ....I'm depending on YOU guys the most !

Franco6
12-05-2005, 07:33
Its a pity that the boys are only 6 years old :delol:

Just try to seduce the coach then........ :hug2:

Staci
12-05-2005, 07:55
Oh THAT'S nice Franco ....very helpful !
Men !

ACMILAN1983
12-05-2005, 08:30
that sounds quite fun actually Staci.

Well, seeing as they're just youngsters, I suggest doing a mix of things to help them learn.

Passing drills could be helping them simply pass to each other at first, then to have 3-4 kids passing to each other whilst 1-2 kids try and get the ball.

Shooting can be just shooting at the keeper.

Dribbling can having the kids dribbling around cones and then moving onto trying to dribble around defenders.

Defending and goalkeeping will be trained during the passing, shooting and dribbling excercises.

Then you could possibly teach the kids about what to do during attacking and defensive set pieces (corners and freekicks).

Finally, I suggest having mini matches in training. Here, the kids will be able to apply what they have learnt from the exercises and you can show them about positioning and very basic (seeing as they're young) tactical play.

This is just some stuff I'd recommend on top of basic fitness exercises. I'm sure others will be of more help :)

ps - some men try to help ;)

Haroon
12-05-2005, 08:42
Since they are young the first thing you need to do is to make them adapt to the touch of the ball.

Split the group into two and give each of them a partner. Line them up in parallel lines at a distance of 10 feet from each other first. Make them pass the ball to each other.

e.g.

1 ---------2 ---------------3 ------------4------------5-------------6


7----------8----------------9------------10-----------11------------12



1 passes to 7 and 7 passes the same ball back to 1. Each kid has to be individually taught to side foot the ball instead of using the toe. No Instep or outsole kicking as yet.

a) The ball has to remain on the ground so they need to be told that. They should not worry about the speed of the kick at the start. Just learn to roll it to their partner and do it accurately.

b) The receiving kid should be taught how to stop the ball. Kids usually put the foot ON the ball to stop it at the start instead of putting the foot behind the ball to stop it. Eradicate that.

c) Start with the stronger foot of the kids and then the same drill with the weaker foot.

d) Start increasing this distance using the same procedures above and alternating partners. It is also good to match up the talented kid with the less talented kid. It will help the less talented kid to get up to pace with the more talented kid.

e) The kids don't need a proper warm-up as such. Just a slight jog with not much distance to cover so their adrenaline is rushing and the body is warmed up.

f) At the end of the training make them shoot at the goal with a goalkeeper standing in. The kid should be told which corner he has to aim at instead of him making the choice. Once again ... he has to keep the ball on the ground.


The most difficult thing to do is shoot fast with the ball on the ground. The other drills would be too complex for them right now. Do this for a start. The session should be fun and get it into their head that they are the best. ;) Encouragement is essential. Tell them that they will get hurt but they are men and no crying etc. Things like that. It is training of the body and the mind both.

Staci
12-05-2005, 08:53
Detailed and incredibly helpful ! I am now armed with some knowledge and know the kids will surely gain from your assistance.
I'm feeling much better about this, thanks ! It is appreciated more than you know.

KhRiS
12-05-2005, 09:13
Guys there are no Kids Involved, it's Staci, she is finally learning to play. :u31:

KhRiS
12-05-2005, 09:15
Since they are young the first thing you need to do is to make them adapt to the touch of the ball.

Split the group into two and give each of them a partner. Line them up in parallel lines at a distance of 10 feet from each other first. Make them pass the ball to each other.

e.g.

1 ---------2 ---------------3 ------------4------------5-------------6


7----------8----------------9------------10-----------11------------12



1 passes to 7 and 7 passes the same ball back to 1. Each kid has to be individually taught to side foot the ball instead of using the toe. No Instep or outsole kicking as yet.

a) The ball has to remain on the ground so they need to be told that. They should not worry about the speed of the kick at the start. Just learn to roll it to their partner and do it accurately.

b) The receiving kid should be taught how to stop the ball. Kids usually put the foot ON the ball to stop it at the start instead of putting the foot behind the ball to stop it. Eradicate that.

c) Start with the stronger foot of the kids and then the same drill with the weaker foot.

d) Start increasing this distance using the same procedures above and alternating partners. It is also good to match up the talented kid with the less talented kid. It will help the less talented kid to get up to pace with the more talented kid.

e) The kids don't need a proper warm-up as such. Just a slight jog with not much distance to cover so their adrenaline is rushing and the body is warmed up.

f) At the end of the training make them shoot at the goal with a goalkeeper standing in. The kid should be told which corner he has to aim at instead of him making the choice. Once again ... he has to keep the ball on the ground.


The most difficult thing to do is shoot fast with the ball on the ground. The other drills would be too complex for them right now. Do this for a start. The session should be fun and get it into their head that they are the best. ;) Encouragement is essential. Tell them that they will get hurt but they are men and no crying etc. Things like that. It is training of the body and the mind both.

Staci this good advice keeping their age into account.

Staci
12-05-2005, 09:26
Guys there are no Kids Involved, it's Staci, she is finally learning to play. :u31:

Why do you have to be an idiot about EVERYTHING !!!!!! ...lol

Haroon
12-05-2005, 09:51
I'm glad I could be of some help. See how it goes and inform me when the kids are ready to move onto stage 2. Observe very closely how they react. How they kick the ball, how they touch it, how they behave when they make a mistake, how they behave when they get it right. Body language etc.

Drills are in pairs but the camaraderie should not be affected. Groom the unit, not the players.

Stezagud
12-05-2005, 10:00
passing, passing, passing !

positioning would be tough to teach but even the basics would give them an advantage as most kids that age tend to chase the ball like a pack of wolves :D

They shouldnt need much fitness training, the pitch where i usually play has 2 pitches either side where the local kids team often train. The manager is a bit like the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket :eek: he makes them do laps of the pitch dragging small tyres :eek: :v46: when we asked him what he thinks they learn from it he barked back "Determination !" :p286:

they came bottom of the league so it doesnt seem ot be working :D

KhRiS
12-05-2005, 10:23
Passing and trapping most important staci, plus awareness, make the mids play together, def together and forwards play together, they should learn to hold their line.

Staci
12-05-2005, 10:32
Stez...you hit it right on the head they do seem to run in a pack....although very funny to watch them all chase the ball...not very effective....lol
How do I stop them from doing this ? The coach kept yelling at the defenders to move up the field..over and over until they were so far up that one little kick and the opposing team were behind them and they scored....I think HIS fault not theirs.

This is really great guys !

Stezagud
12-05-2005, 11:03
How do I stop them from doing this ? The coach kept yelling at the defenders to move up the field..over and over until they were so far up that one little kick and the opposing team were behind them and they scored....I think HIS fault not theirs.

yeah, probably his fault. A high defensive line is only useful if A) the defence has the speed to cope with the threat and B) they have the awareness to do so. Not many 8 year olds will have that level of awareness, not unless they are related to Maldini ;)

Im not sure how you'd stop them all chasing the ball. From personal experience at that age the team i played for had the school bullies in the key roles (Centre Back and Centre midfield) and our most talented player at centre back alongside a bully. It worked as everyone held position through fear :D but im not sure it would be a good idea to try it, maybe as a last resort....

KhRiS
12-05-2005, 13:02
Stez...you hit it right on the head they do seem to run in a pack....although very funny to watch them all chase the ball...not very effective....lol
How do I stop them from doing this
This is really great guys !

keep using the whistle, teach them to respond to the whistle, make groups and train them seperately, plus show them zones, teach them zonal football, that way they will only move when ball is in their zone.

Staci
13-05-2005, 07:19
I'm glad I started this thread, you guys, as always have stepped up to the plate for me. Our next practice is Monday and I have plan in place. Oh this would be so much easier for me if they were TEENage boys .....lmao ! ;)

I'll let you know how it goes....

Kui
13-05-2005, 09:46
Passing and trapping most important staci, plus awareness, make the mids play together, def together and forwards play together, they should learn to hold their line.

Oh my God! KhRiS being serious???? I must admit you are more enjoyable being the regular you. I prefered your sarcastic statement first posted! You make me laugh all the time. In a good positive way of course.

Staci
13-05-2005, 10:16
Oh my God! KhRiS being serious???? I must admit you are more enjoyable being the regular you. I prefered your sarcastic statement first posted! You make me laugh all the time. In a good positive way of course.

Kui PLEASE don't encourage him ! ;)

Kui
13-05-2005, 10:20
Why??? You gotta love his humor! I did notice though that you are on the short end of it a lot.

Staci
13-05-2005, 10:41
In fact I am often on the short end of his infallible sense of humour....But it's ok as I too think he's funny. A dumbass..... but funny ...lol
But don't tell him that ;)

KhRiS
13-05-2005, 18:25
My My, Finally a Khris apprecitiation thread :v408:, well it was about time. :sagrin:

Staci
16-05-2005, 13:20
Well tonight is the night guys .....wish me luck !
I have taken all of your tips and drills into account and am confident that I can help these kids and STILL have fun. Now we'll just have to see how the coach reacts to my assistance.

ACMILAN1983
16-05-2005, 17:02
cool, good luck Staci :)

Staci
16-05-2005, 22:24
Thank-you.
Well let me just say that the kids were incredibly receptive to a structured practice, we had a great time and you could see the confidence level grow in that one hour we had tonight, I stayed late with some of the kids that wanted to keep going. Several of these kids are playing for the first time, and it was good for all of us.
You guys are great.....you helped me with MY confidence !!! I looked like I actually knew what I was doing ....;)

Staci
20-05-2005, 08:13
Had our second game....and got our butts kicked again. However, we looked much better this time. We have an all star on the team for sure and unfortunately whenever he was up front with the ball all alone, the opposing teams players physically pulled him down. THREE TIMES !!! We should not have lost however, fun was had by all.....and it gives me an excuse to eat ice cream two nights a week ! ...lmao !

Franco6
20-05-2005, 08:32
Had our second game....and got our butts kicked again.

Beware Staci, the managment ,may sack you if your team continues to loose :tong:

ACMILAN1983
20-05-2005, 16:09
sounds like your having fun Staci. I guess the team will grow with time :)

KhRiS
23-05-2005, 09:25
You Know the Old Saying, 'Catch Em Young and Watch em Grow'. :sagrin:

Staci
24-05-2005, 22:23
Ok game three under our belts ...and it was a loss :( Doing much better though, we have a few very meek players, but hey at least they are out there right ? Coach is still pretty negative, and doesn't seem to care enough to shield the kids from his crass comments. I think that those of you who know me, can see what is coming between he and I ...lol He is still insisting on going against what I have learned from you guys ie. how to stop a pass. But I'm still smiling ;)

pa7uel
24-05-2005, 22:43
This is an advice that has been usefull to me:
''If the ball got throu you , dont let the player does'' :nasty: :sagrin: :delol: :1avs:

Staci
24-05-2005, 22:57
Good advice, but they are little ones......they don't need to learn that just yet. I will however take any advice on how to knock the coach down ...lol

pa7uel
24-05-2005, 23:40
Good advice, but they are little ones......they don't need to learn that just yet. I will however take any advice on how to knock the coach down ...lol
You mean going down wiht the coach? ;) :D

Staci
25-05-2005, 07:49
I'm going to ignore that .......;)

ACMILAN1983
25-05-2005, 08:38
That coach sounds like a moron tbh

Staci
25-05-2005, 08:52
THANK-YOU ! I think so too. I'm going to do my best to ignore his comments, and teach the kids using all the stuff you guys have taught ME ! I had no idea it was going to be this much fun, thanks for your help and support.

Staci
31-05-2005, 12:36
Game 4 underway tonight.... Although I am sure of the outcome, no one has more fun than we do. And that is what matters, right ? Right ? ...lol ;)

Any additional words of wisdom are always appreciated.

Staci
31-05-2005, 22:28
Well....we lost, but that's okay. I have figured out a huge part of the problem just have to figure out how to fix it. BTW coach is comming around ! Yeah !!

ACMILAN1983
01-06-2005, 06:04
thats a shame. What's the problem?

Staci
01-06-2005, 08:37
Although they have already improved overall, a lot of the players are first year players and they lack the agression to fight for the ball. They seem to be wary of hurting the other players by either kicking them by accident or hitting them with the ball. I don't know that you can teach agression. Any thoughts ?

KaKa|22
01-06-2005, 11:27
Let two run and while they are running they have to give passes to each other

Warro Bantan
02-06-2005, 12:56
Hey Staci,

Congrats on your efforts.

Teaching aggression is rather tricky, as the parameters tend to get blurry...when is it too much, or too little?

I would instead suggest that you concentrate on the basic skills, controlling or trapping the ball, and not just the ball rolled to you at 1 mph....bouncing balls, floated balls, balls passed at pace, chest traps, etc.

Confidence in their "on the ball" ability may not result in more aggression, but it will enable them to get the ball under control quickly, and therefore have more time to think about what next to do.

Dribbling is another skill that can be easily taught, as you instruct them to move through a slalom of cones, once using both feet, at walking pace, then again with the left only, then with the right etc...they can have a "never ending line" ie the player that ends the slalom returns the ball, then joins the back of the line...let them gradually increase their pace through the slalom.

As for aggression in and of itself...I am sure the Full Metal Jacket coach has some tricks up his sleeve....but something did come to mind. You can show them the "shoulder charge", and let them do it in pairs, one person with the ball, the other uses his/her shoulder to move the other player off the ball. It also serves as a useful exercise to show the player in posession of the ball, how to compensate for a shoulder charge and retain posession.

Please let me know if this info is useful...and keep up the good work...I was a coach for my son´s under 10 football team in Manhattan for a while, and I found it an extremely rewarding experience..which is what I wish for you.

Warro Bantan
02-06-2005, 12:58
Although they have already improved overall, a lot of the players are first year players and they lack the agression to fight for the ball. They seem to be wary of hurting the other players by either kicking them by accident or hitting them with the ball. I don't know that you can teach agression. Any thoughts ?


You could always try the new age motto (aka Dubya Bush´s mantra) Do unto others before they do unto you..... :nasty:

Dr Milano
02-06-2005, 15:30
:p286: I need some help from all of you who play soccer. My firm has sponsored a squirt division (6-8 years of age) soccer team, and well, I have offered to help. Any excuse to get out of work and into the sun two days a week ...lol I need some tips for drills, footwork, pointers of ANY sort, etc. to help them learn proper techniques and get the most out of their experience. It appears as though the coach has no background and is just winging it. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreaciated.
Thanks a bunch ! :p286:


KhRiS, Franco, Billy ....I'm depending on YOU guys the most !
and me :510: :510: :510: :510: never forget meeeeeeeeee lol

Staci
03-06-2005, 10:21
Thanks Warro.....it has already become more of an expeience than even I had hoped for. Their confidence has improved and I am hopeful that this will continue with each practice, you guys have been great with your advice and support. I hope you know I appreciate it all. I will continue with the drills and suggestions, it has to click sometime....lol
You know Warro, I think that "Do onto other's" might just work. I'll let you know

Pavel
03-06-2005, 13:20
Passing and touch work is the way to go. Always let them have a ball at their feet. Simple as that.

Staci
08-06-2005, 09:02
I am very proud and excited to report that we won our first match last night 5-2. Even if we had lost this one, it would have been ok with me because they played so well and played as a team !!!

ACMILAN1983
08-06-2005, 09:35
Congrats Staci. :)

Now the ball is rolling, you guys can be champions soon ;) :tong:

Warro Bantan
08-06-2005, 14:52
CONGRATS Staci!!!! I know what a thrill that must have been! Keep on keepin on girlfriend!

Staci
09-06-2005, 09:23
THANK-YOU !
You guys are great....still smiling !

KhRiS
09-06-2005, 10:16
I am very proud and excited to report that we won our first match last night 5-2. Even if we had lost this one, it would have been ok with me because they played so well and played as a team !!!

Finally some good news, Congrats Staci. :v408:

Staci
14-06-2005, 11:51
Game tonight.....Can we keep our 1 game winning streak going ? ...lol
Wish us luck !!

Dr Milano
14-06-2005, 12:51
Game tonight.....Can we keep our 1 game winning streak going ? ...lol
Wish us luck !!
bad luck hope u lose yeh come on other team

Staci
14-06-2005, 13:26
Dr. Milano ....seriously GO AWAY !!!!

Dr Milano
14-06-2005, 14:40
Dr. Milano ....seriously GO AWAY !!!!
did u lose

KhRiS
14-06-2005, 18:25
Game tonight.....Can we keep our 1 game winning streak going ? ...lol
Wish us luck !!
Best of Luck, irrespective of what other member feels about the game. :p1510:

Staci
14-06-2005, 20:13
Thank-you KhRiS....;) Game was cancelled due to rain :(

Staci
20-06-2005, 23:14
Ok guys practice tonight the kids are getting bored....anything to switch it up a little ?
Game tomorrow night ...yeah !

Warro Bantan
21-06-2005, 09:01
Have you tried to play handball? Well, that may not be the correct term, as I am aware that there is a game called that already in the US...what I mean is to play football, but allow them to use their hands...wait, this may be a bad idea for kids just learning the game...but it could be a good break from the ordinary..

It allows kids to get more comfortable with the ball, and allows them to move into spaces, as they would when playing real soccer, thus developing "off the ball" movement, something that is often overlooked during practice sessions for youngsters.

I would suggest starting ball work with that, then moving to a foot only version, stopping play when necessary to make a point about how "Sam moved into a better position to get the ball" etc.

Also, playing keep up, and having a little mini competition on this area: Who can keep the ball up the most repitions without making it bounce...can be a nice break...

Hope this stuff helps!

And good luck next matchday!

KhRiS
21-06-2005, 09:13
Ok guys practice tonight the kids are getting bored....anything to switch it up a little ?!

Take them to Strip Joints, tell them if they Win, they can have one, that should motivate them. :w200:

Staci
21-06-2005, 10:11
Warro do you mean to have them play as they would in a game, and try to keep position, but use there hands instead of there feet ?

KhRiS ...shut up !

Warro Bantan
21-06-2005, 11:17
yes, Staci, like basketball, without the travelling, but limit them to moving with the ball say to three paces similarly.

It is just as important for them to keep position, as it is for them to move into space when the team is in posession, but say the forward doesnt yet have the ball.

Making runs into the "centre forward channel" for example, when the midfielder (attacking) has the ball, and there are two forwards ahead of him...the forwards can make an X type movement, (like the second goal we scored vs Liverpool) and the midfielder simply plays the ball into the space where they are moving into..use of the hands will allow them to coordinate the move, without worrying about how they are going to kick etc.

Getting them to move "off the ball" when their team is in posession of the ball is cruical to creating those "chances"...

hope u get this...

When they dont have the ball, that is when playing in position counts...and the same drill can also be used to reinforce this...stop their play in the middle of an "attack", take the ball from the attacking player, and give it to a defender, who is then to launch an attack...the former attackers, now defenders, must run back to cover...and thus reinforce the correct behaviour from midfielders and defenders...

Staci
21-06-2005, 22:45
Unfortunately the game tonight was less than spectacular. Although the kids did play better than I have seen so far. Each game seems a little better than the one before. The sad part of it tonight was the opposing team was more than unsportsman like and it crushed their spirits. Onward and upward.

Warro Bantan
22-06-2005, 12:51
Ahh well Staci..you win some...etc.

I would suggest that you teach the kids to learn from how the winning team treated them...i.e do unto others again...each game should be a learning experience, for everyone involved...

Showing them the poor example of the victorious brats can go a long way in forging a better character in your kids. Teach them not to be like those guys, and you will be a winner, at least in my book.

Tell me though, did you try the drills I suggested, and if you did, did it help break up the monotony of the training?

KhRiS
22-06-2005, 20:09
Tell me though, did you try the drills I suggested, and if you did, did it help break up the monotony of the training?

well if she did, they would have surely won, Strippers Staci, concentrate on the Strippers. :5drunk:

Dr Milano
23-06-2005, 12:09
hows the league going pretty bad for the kids cause ive heard the same quote a lot we lost tonight lol

Staci
23-06-2005, 12:39
We had a match last night to make up for a rained out one last week..... and guess what ? WE WON ! The kids, played a fabulous game, their passes are getting much better, their kicks a little harder and they improving on not running in a pack....lol The team we beat was thus far unbeaten !!! Fun was had by all.
Warro let me say to you first that I sincerely appreciate your continued advice and support. That being said, we did try the new drill and although it got off to an awkward start(because I had brought a print out of your posts to read...) we had fun with it. The kids love the drills now because I tell them they are from top secret Milan supporters.

Warro Bantan
23-06-2005, 16:03
Thanks Staci....you just made my day. Keep on keepin on!

ACMILAN1983
24-06-2005, 08:59
Congratulations Staci :)

I'm curious about your team actually, because despite the rough start, they really seem to have potential.

Anyway, hows things with the coach? is he still acting foolish?

Warro Bantan
24-06-2005, 10:00
Another training idea just came to mind...if you have any of the nets that the balls come in, you could tie a series of say...3 of 4 balls on the crossbar of the goal, just low enough for your players to be able to jump and head the ball, and get them to practice heading...the team lines up, then the lead person runs up, jumps, heads the ball, takes the necessary steps to the next ball, jumps and heads, etc., then after heading all the balls, the player runs to the back of the line...

This should be done before or after pairing them up, and having them genly lob the ball for the receiving player to head...importantly, aiming for the throwers hands, ie the person who threw the ball to the "header" should be able to catch the headed ball without too much effort.

This, as with most drills, will take some time to get going properly, but it is cruical in removing their fear of heading the ball.

Staci
24-06-2005, 10:40
Wow Warro, that net/ball idea is great ! They are gonna LOVE that, they have been asking when they are going to learn to head the ball. I told them when the Milan Superiors say it's time...then it's time ...lmao ! I know I shouldn't play with kids minds , but it is fun !
ACMilan1983 I am curious about my team too...lol They have heart I will tell you that much and I believe that where they are currently lacking in skill, they more than make up for it. The only real problem I see at this point as they are very young is that they just lack agression. I know it will come as the skill level increases, so I'm plugging along using that theory. The coach is well, although more accepting of my assistance, still an ass.
Thanks guys ;)

Dr Milano
24-06-2005, 10:49
Wow Warro, that net/ball idea is great ! They are gonna LOVE that, they have been asking when they are going to learn to head the ball. I told them when the Milan Superiors say it's time...then it's time ...lmao ! I know I shouldn't play with kids minds , but it is fun !
ACMilan1983 I am curious about my team too...lol They have heart I will tell you that much and I believe that where they are currently lacking in skill, they more than make up for it. The only real problem I see at this point as they are very young is that they just lack agression. I know it will come as the skill level increases, so I'm plugging along using that theory. The coach is well, although more accepting of my assistance, still an ass.
Thanks guys ;)
hi everyone im back aint posted i n a time know feels long

Staci
24-06-2005, 10:52
What ? ....Get out of here ! ...lol

Dr Milano
24-06-2005, 14:51
What ? ....Get out of here ! ...lolnot nice welcome back is it :hangover:

Dr Milano
25-06-2005, 16:19
not nice welcome back is it :hangover: :swars: :2dri:
im upset know hey guys i have only been here for a month and bit so on have posted 295 odd or 300 someat is that a lot or bit should i stop a bit or kepp doing more an enjoying this forum i got kicked out of my last forum

Staci
26-06-2005, 22:54
Dr. Milano, this thread is strictly about getting help with the kids team, there are so many places where you can let us know that you are back, and how many posts you have posted. I personally don't need to read it here too. Unless you have some ideas on how to help...stop following me !
Henrik can you make him stop following me ! ....lol

KhRiS
27-06-2005, 10:53
Dr. Milano, this thread is strictly about getting help with the kids team, .lol
He is a Kid Staci, go ahead help him. :web:

Staci
27-06-2005, 11:06
KhRiS please stop encouraging him......

Staci
27-06-2005, 11:57
Tonight's the night Warro..... I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Warro Bantan
27-06-2005, 12:21
Another thought...shot taking...a simple exercise to reinforce proper shooting techniques is simple to set up.

The first choice goalie goes into the goal, and the team lines up from say the edge of the "18 yd box" (obviously not 18 yds) and practice taking shots.

First, use the dead ball, highlighting the fact that they should take smaller steps the closer they get to the ball, to allow for better accuracy re foot to ball contact.

Then, the drill can be changed to a slowly rolling ball, which they again run on to...repeat this for a gently lobbed ball with instructions that ensure they only touch the ball once before kicking it, then later on, their first touch should be a shot...repeat for both feet..it doesnt matter who is a lefty from a rightie...they must learn to use the weaker foot with as much confidence and thoughtlessness as their primary foot.

After one or two training sessions, this exercise can be used to precede practicing "squares" and corner kicks.

This allows both defenders and attackers to get into the game. The ball is crossed by your winger, midfielder, or even a defender whoever is a natural at this, and the attacking team, with a limited amount of touches, tries to score (say two touches before shooting)while the defenders obviously try to prevent them scoring.

The cross can come from the corner, or any part of the wing/flank/sideline.

Also, try to develop consistency in moving from one drill type to another, allowing for overlap as much as possible. eg..doing the crossing right after the heading exercise will serve to reinforce the latter, but in a more match replicating atmosphere.

Keep up the good work Staci, and ensure that you create, if nothing else, good sports men and women, and some more Milan fans while you are at it!

Staci
27-06-2005, 12:54
Hey I like that one...I don't need notes for that one ...;)
you guys will make a coach out of me yet ...lol

Dr Milano
27-06-2005, 14:38
not nice welcome back was it staci i heard blondes r stupid is that true well if not staci surely is ????????? :tong: :tong: :tong: :tong: :tong:

Warro Bantan
27-06-2005, 16:02
Dear Dr. Milano...

Let this post represent an open letter to you.

Though I am not a moderator, I would like to encourage you to post sensibly, and avoid personal attacks on our members.

While the tone of your most recent post tends to be an attempt at humourous sarcasm, it can get annoying to the recipient. Not only that, but it has very little to do with the topic of the thread, which seems to me a waste of your time, as well as all those who subscribe to this thread.

This thread represents a serious attempt by one of our members to pass some valuable training on to kids, and she has asked us for our help. Please be mature enough to confine your posts on this thread to this subject area, and if you cant, I strongly suggest you become a member of other forums with people of similar mindset to yourself.

I would appreciate, as I am sure many others will as well, if you would heed the aformentioned advice, or face sanction. While I wont report you at this point, know that I will not hesitate to do so, should I feel that you are in breach of our code of conduct.

Regards

Warro Bantan.

Staci
28-06-2005, 14:29
Dr. Milano your words have very little effect on me, but as Warro suggested take it somewhere else.
Warro, your words on the other hand are greatly appreciated as always.

Dr Milano
28-06-2005, 15:44
ok sorry people anyway she told me to get out of here y y y y yy y

Dr Milano
28-06-2005, 15:45
ok sorry people anyway she told me to get out of here y y y y yy y
whiich conduct the rules anyway i bet uve broke em before no one tells over you

Warro Bantan
28-06-2005, 18:09
whiich conduct the rules anyway i bet uve broke em before no one tells over you

I have never broken a fourm rule...that I know of...listen dude, lighten up, I just wanted to make a point to you, nothing more.

I am sure you wouldnt like to be called stupid by anyone, worse people who you hardly know.

So just "do unto others, as you would have them do unto you", or remember that "what goes around, comes around"...whatever you believe in...just be nice to people, and see how many people are nice to you in return.

KhRiS
28-06-2005, 18:37
whiich conduct the rules anyway i bet uve broke em before no one tells over you


dude just Relax thats all. :510:

Staci
28-06-2005, 22:16
whiich conduct the rules anyway i bet uve broke em before no one tells over you
Warro I am sure it is I, to whom he is referring, not you.

Dr Milano
29-06-2005, 08:52
Warro I am sure it is I, to whom he is referring, not you.
ok guys i ll calm down the only person i like on the forum is khris cool guy and funny

Warro Bantan
29-06-2005, 10:16
Warro I am sure it is I, to whom he is referring, not you.

Matters not in my book Staci...but seriously, lets stay on topic and forget about that issue..

Tell me, do you have the opportunity/AV equipment to show them DVDs or VHS tapes of say...Pele´s old training movie? (Or other training programs) Kids today are so visually stimulated, (kHris...shut up :D)that this may be a cruical aspect of their training, and is good for the cool down periods after training, or just prior to the start.

Henrik
29-06-2005, 11:09
ok guys i ll calm down the only person i like on the forum is khris cool guy and funny
Trying to make friends Dr Milano? ;)
Just keep it cool like the Fonz, and you'll find that most people in here will treat you with respect. :devs:

KhRiS
29-06-2005, 11:19
Trying to make friends Dr Milano? ;)Just keep it cool like the Fonz, and you'll find that most people in here will treat you with respect.

I must admit he has exquisite taste. ;)
Yup, just be cool, and put some thought into your posts, you will find the results very pleasing. :nasty:

Staci
29-06-2005, 11:57
No Warro...there is no access, but it is an idea. Maybe I could bring them to my house to watch a training movie. Where would I get such a thing ?

P.S. I missed the game last night...went at the wrong time :( We tied.

Warro Bantan
29-06-2005, 12:19
There are countless titles on various websites...google something like..."Instructional Soccer Videos" or something like that, and see what pops up.

Dont know any sites of hand, but I am sure our fellow mm members can give u some suggestions...

Nothing wrong with a tie, its still one point more than a loss!! Think positive, and positive things will happen...

Dr Milano
29-06-2005, 13:26
ok thanx guys ok warro how come u r senior member with 1000 psots but khris and a few others with 3000 odd posts arent dont gett it

derekhski
30-06-2005, 00:08
Staci, A while back I was at the FIFA.com or maybe is was the UEFA.com website, they had some various soccer instruction drills and exercises in one of thier spots on the site. The drills included diagrams, instructions, and also how the drill was linked to standard game participation. I dont know if this will help, but I had seen you ask where you could find some aids.
Good luck, I'm sure the kids appreciate your time spent on thier behalf.

Warro Bantan
30-06-2005, 09:49
ok thanx guys ok warro how come u r senior member with 1000 psots but khris and a few others with 3000 odd posts arent dont gett it

Because "quality is better than quantity..." :p1511: SIKE!!!! Just kidding... :D

I may have joined before them, thats all...while they post prolifically, in a variety of forums, I post in a relatively small number of forums and threads.

KhRiS
30-06-2005, 09:58
ok thanx guys ok warro how come u r senior member with 1000 psots but khris and a few others with 3000 odd posts arent dont gett it


Politics. :hopefull:

Warro Bantan
04-07-2005, 12:11
"Sheer" politics...of the see-thorough kind...:rollani:

Ok but back to the topic...how is it going Staci..in the absence of real football, I am anxious to know how your little leaguers are doing..??

Dr Milano
04-07-2005, 12:36
"Sheer" politics...of the see-thorough kind...:rollani:

Ok but back to the topic...how is it going Staci..in the absence of real football, I am anxious to know how your little leaguers are doing..??
ok senior member

Staci
05-07-2005, 12:26
"Sheer" politics...of the see-thorough kind...:rollani:

Ok but back to the topic...how is it going Staci..in the absence of real football, I am anxious to know how your little leaguers are doing..??


Thanks for the interest Warro...unfortunately I have nothing new to report....last game was last Tuesday, you know the one I missed ...lol We practice Monday nights and play Tuesdays. Practice last night was cancelled because of the heat. BUT I did just find out that there is a league for 3 year olds...seriously how much fun would that be....lol I think I may do that next year ....

Warro Bantan
05-07-2005, 12:55
Hey Staci...I admire what you are doing, and will lend all the support I can.. :firedev:

Another suggestion for training:

3 a side "scrimmage" (well thats what we call it in Jamaica)....use a small goal, say, three ball lengths, no goalie, and arrange your players in 3 member teams, and play a mini tournament, or simply king of the rock (ie the winning team, with victory going to the first side that scores 2 goals, stays on the pitch, while the losers exit, to be replaced by another 3 member team)...this will develop the short passing game, and encourage players to play as a unit, ie coming back to tackle, and going forward in attack...

I had the most fun in my childhood playing this kind of game at High School...only we played in abandoned buildings, and with a tennis ball...and while I do recommend the latter, I strongly advise against the former! :D

Staci
06-07-2005, 19:04
Hey Staci...I admire what you are doing, and will lend all the support I can.. :firedev:


I don't know if 'admire' is a word I would use if you saw me out there some days with my notes, laughing my butt off (shut up KhRiS) because the kids are trying their best to follow my direction and at BEST it looks like a mildly organized chaos ...lol But I appreciate the comment just the same.

Our last match, which was last night, was a huge defeat, a defeat we well deserved. They didn't seem to have it in them and gave up before we even got started, who knows maybe I am pushing a little hard. Most of the boys are first years. Do I admit defeat ? :kap: It's not in my nature, but they are kids afterall....

Warro Bantan
08-07-2005, 13:11
You certainly wont win them all, and definately not with a lot of first timers, but stay the course...they will develop and learn much more quickly than you would ever give them credit for, and since they look to your leadership, you have to have your gameface on all the time, and never, ever let them see you looking down and depressed, unless it is being used as a motivating tactic.

Always try to be upbeat and positive, even after a loss, particularly a heavy one, because, life goes on, and contrary to popular belief, you dont have to win to be happy.

Encourage them to learn from their mistakes, and if you have a handcam, then that is a good way to show them their mistakes (and importantly, their successes).

Accept that you have learning curve to get over before you can have a winning season, but it is up to you to make even a loss, a win for them, mentally...(tough, but possible)

Dr Milano
08-07-2005, 13:15
I don't know if 'admire' is a word I would use if you saw me out there some days with my notes, laughing my butt off (shut up KhRiS) because the kids are trying their best to follow my direction and at BEST it looks like a mildly organized chaos ...lol But I appreciate the comment just the same.

Our last match, which was last night, was a huge defeat, a defeat we well deserved. They didn't seem to have it in them and gave up before we even got started, who knows maybe I am pushing a little hard. Most of the boys are first years. Do I admit defeat ? :kap: It's not in my nature, but they are kids afterall....how old are the kids i dont mean to be rude just asking

Staci
08-07-2005, 13:34
Warro: I don't get upset with them, moreso, just feel upset when I see they are giving up. I know it's very frustrating for them, but I hate to see them lose that confidence that they have worked to achieve.
Dr. Milano... They are 6-8 year olds

Warro Bantan
08-07-2005, 13:45
What they need more is the ability to put the loss behind them...confidence will return if they work at their technique...its also important for those who can, to practice outside of the one day a week that you hold training...simple exercises such as keep up...u kno, juggling..can do wonders to improve touch, and can be done alone...also, trapping the ball with the inside of the foot...again alone, by kicking the ball to yourself off a wall..easy, and guaranteed to work (or your money back!)

Keep on truckin!

Staci
18-07-2005, 11:40
Thanks everyone for all you help and support ...especially you Warro. there are only two weeks left for the kids to play and unfortunatly I don't think I will be do much running around with the kids. Until next year.......

Dr Milano
18-07-2005, 12:26
Thanks everyone for all you help and support ...especially you Warro. there are only two weeks left for the kids to play and unfortunatly I don't think I will be do much running around with the kids. Until next year.......
cool goood luck till the end then !!!! :beach:

Warro Bantan
18-07-2005, 14:48
Glad to be of help Staci!! Take care, and whenever you need help, never feel afraid to ask!!

Staci
19-07-2005, 23:32
Won game tonight ...yeahhhh
Maybe we'll go out with a bang !!!

Henrik, you can get rid of this thread.... until next season ...lol

ACMILAN1983
20-07-2005, 06:50
Congrats Staci, I'm glad the season will end in a happy way.

Good luck next season :)

Warro Bantan
20-07-2005, 09:37
Won game tonight ...yeahhhh


Congrats Staci!!!! Good show!

Staci
26-07-2005, 09:43
Last game tonight, well if the rain ever lets up ....
I'm going to take some pics so you can see our wonderful little team.
No comments on our purple shirts ! ...;)

Warro Bantan
26-07-2005, 10:06
Looking forward to seeing those pics Staci! Good luck!...and may the force be with you!

Staci
09-08-2005, 22:33
We played first game of the "playoffs"...(I have no idea how thay are gonna figure the winner out ...) and the last game next Tuesday. THEN it's done...lol How funny would it be if we came form wayyyyyyyy behind to win !! Oh I guess I should have mentioned we won by 4.
Warro I am going to be so ready for my own team next year ;) .....and I'm gonna fight for the red and black uniforms !

Warro Bantan
10-08-2005, 10:16
Excellente Staci! Bravo! Well done! I hope you win all the remaining games!

Fight for those Rosseneri colours baby!