meazza
19-05-2005, 08:46
does anyone think this article, posted on goal.com, is appalling?
I agree with certain things but it sounds like it was written by team jumping fan-boy.
How Was It For Peter Levchenko? A Review Of AC Milan's Season
5/18/2005 11:08:00 AM
I am a fan of Italian football for the last five years maybe after I switched from the Premiership. I was originally been attracted by Lazio but then as Sheva (my compatriot) moved to Milan, Rossoneri started attracting me a bit as well. But it is with the arrival of my favourite defender really, Alessandro Nesta and then another fav, Jaap Stam, to this team that I switched my attention to Milan.
So last 2-3 years maybe I am with Inter, Juve but especially Milan.
So this season has been phenomenal for us. Milan could have done IT (win both Scudetto and CL) this year but oh well, I thought Milan for both trophies and Juve for nothing is a bit unfair as both these sides have done very well this year, both in Europe and in Italy, finally bringing back to Italy the European fame it deserves. Recently I have been amazed how Italian teams, showing class in Serie A have seriously underperformed in CL (this was with Roma and Lazio). But now I think everything is back to its normal order: I think Milan, Juve and Inter are all AT LEAST potential semi-finalists in CL unless they face each other in the final stages beforehand.
So what I fell in love with completely this year is Milan’s style and tactics. I mean I think the majority of fans this year must agree that Milan’s calmness and confidence as well as maintaining composure in the most decisive moments, both in CL and in Serie A, has been phenomenal. This can be attributed to Carlo Ancelotti’s arrival I think. When he came to Milan I thought, oh, this is just gonna be another "temporary" resolution until Milan lays hands on someone like Capello or Lippi. But this coach has truly forced everyone to respect himself after amazing work he has done in Milan in just past 3 years. Even if you only follow the Champions League you have to agree Milan squad has been growing in terms of experience, confidence and composure during these years. Take Milan - CL winners 2 years ago and take them now: today’s team is much more mature and I think capable of winning much more than that side although (ironically i suppose) Milan still haven’t won any trophies this year. But the greatest reward, CL trophy, is coming this year for sure. If it is not, I think any fan (except Scousers of course :)) will agree that Milan would be the most unlucky side of the year, because they have really done amazingly well. I think in terms of style and consistency and spirit Milan have superseded Juve this year. But of course Juve deserves the Serie A title as they have deservedly won 1-0 (such results make you recall the true tactical gods of play, who deliver when it matters and when expected: Don Fabio :)).
What was Milan’s key to success? I think Ancelotti’s been amazing at pretty basic things: he took Milan’s squad, analysed its strengths and weaknesses, took strengths to maximum exposure and effectiveness. I mean which club in the world can cast any doubt that Milan have no doubt the best defence in Europe? A. Nesta (I think the best defender in the world at the moment), P. Maldini, J. Stam, Cafu (the best right winger still, in my opinion; His main job is to attack by the way!! As is the job of a classic winger of modern football). These names just say it all, I do not need to add any comments on quality here. But it is not only the names, it is also organisation. Nesta-Maldini (much like Cannavaro-Zambrotta) has worked amazingly well. I really love classy Italian defence simply freeze attack of opponents, especially in Europe, and this has probably become the most hated pair of centre-backs :) this year.
But you do not win the Champions League by playing sole defence. Recently on Goal.com there have been many views expressed about attacking tactics (of say Rijkaard’s Barca) or defensive tactics of Chelsea and Liverpool. I think the answer to the most holistic and complete tactical approach is the balanced approach, inherent in Milan this year, a work of Ancellotti, no doubt.
Seedorf and especially Pirlo this season have grown into true technical gurus, displaying creativity in passing and movement on the pitch. Milan’s major key to success this year was pressing in midfield. When you see them (especially in CL) doing that constantly to sides like Manchester or Inter or PSV, they are so confident and successful that even an attack like Man U’s or Inter’s is left frustrated sometimes even struggling to cross the half-way line. Even if crossed, when Milan’s defence is tuned on, there is hardly any chance of the ball getting anywhere near a dangerous position to a striker, especially in the air, Milan’s defence has been pretty much unbeatable.
One of the main constituents to pressing in midfield is no doubt "the best fighter" Gennaro Gattuso. But the achievement in midfield is that Pirlo and Seedorf actually cooperate well with Gattuso and midfield pressing becomes synchronised.
Kaka at the beginning of the season was far from his last year’s levels. But he has steadily recovered and now is Milan’s main "attacking, penetrating arrow". Whilst Pirlo and Seedorf steadily approach opponent’s defence when Kaka operates, his sole effort quite often gets him sharply penetrating defence. And he has worked as a perfect link for attack-midfield, which I think is one of the most important aspects of current football and attacking tactics. Kaka does this job very well and possesses the neccessary technique for great solo efforts, he can decide matches, believe me!
Well, what shall i say about Sheva? Deservedly won Ballon D’Or. I appreciate Ronaldihno’s no doubt supreme technical skills to which Sheva can only aspire to, but on the other hand, Ronnie can as well only aspire to Sheva’s decisiveness, vision and effectiveness in attack. This is precisely why he won the Golden Ball I think. Ronnie can dribble past 3 players in Primera easily but often it does not get him anywhere serious. Sheva’s first touch on receiving a long ball leaves the two defenders of PSV or take even recent Juve game eating dust, way behind. Cannavaro of Juve and Zambrotta would easily make top5-top7 of world’s best defence. I recall: Sheva with his only touch flicks the ball right in between them in an instant while he was actually standing with his back to them when receiving the ball. All done in the air! Only Buffon’s phenomenal quickness of reaction and game readability (he is the world’s best goalie, no doubt) was able to prevent Sheva from scoring. And he rarely missed anything this season! I think another important aspect is that he starts working deep in midfield rather than waiting near the goal, and he is the best this year because he has displayed wonderful all-roundedness and great skill and clinical finishing this year.
Ok we are on to best matches this year. Milan’s best performances in defence are:
Inter 0-0 Milan (first leg, Serie A)
Inter was flying in attack at that time, with phenomenal Adriano and tireless supersonic Martins. At the end of the match Roberto Mancini said: "Well the only players that can stop Adriano are Nesta and Stam and they both play in Milan". Inter hardly had anything near Milan’s goal. We saw Milan’s Nesta and Stam concentrated and on top form. All Adriano’s creativity and Martins speed was not enough. And there were some amazingly typically Italian classy tackles and readability, especially that displayed by Nesta, that I still remember well.
Both Milan-Inter games in the Champions League also displayed superiority of Milan’s defence. These were 2 best matches in the Champions League for Milan I think. I think Inter could have easily made semis had they not played Milan. Milan outclassed, disposed of a team like Inter. It was obvious from the game by Milan’s determination, composure and CONFIDENCE. If you are so confident with a team like Inter, you are the god. That is what I thought at that time. And this was the continuation of two phenomenal games against Man U. Even Eurosport News, who are normally pro-English have posted "Milan outclass Man U to advance to semis". I think Milan’s performance in the Champions League can be summarised by "outclassed". When you OUTCLASS (not edge past, like Chelsea or Liverpool) teams like Man U or Inter (especially when they are in the form they displayed this year), it is trully phenomenal. And this is true, I have watched both matches Milan-Man U. And I was smiling when my english friends and ferguson were blaming bad luck after Man U’s loss at home. No! Milan’s tactics was clearly superiour. And Ferguson’s inability to adjust for Milan’s way was evident in the return leg: it was a repetition of the Manchester match only at home Milan looked more concentrated and solid on finishing Man U off which is what they have done.
You also cannot forget Milan 1-0 Barca and Barca 2-1 Milan. These matches were CL classic this year. Balanced tactics vs pure attack. Well Milan win on "away goals" if that matters. But Barca should only thank Ronaldinho’s phenomenon this year for giving them unconvincing 2-1 win. And that match exposed two best players of this year I think (in attack):
1-Sheva
2-Ronaldihno
They delivered when everyone was expecting them to and that was in the most decisive match at that time in EUROPE, not in local leagues! This is the feature of football’s great.
This is why, for example, I cannot believe Thierry Henry should be anywhere near them two (as he was in FIFA rankings this year!) simply because he hasn’t delivered anything serious in Champions League. However many goals he scores in Premiership is unimportant if he cannot deliver on the European arena, on the level where it truly matters and should truly be acknowledged.
The most unlucky match this year for Milan I count against Lecce.
Milan 2-2 Lecce, which eliminated Milan from the Scudetto race.
That second goal is the most upsetting thing really: I mean Dida lacked a little bit of luck to get that. He was perhaps a millimeter or two off saving it! So unlucky. But oh well.
The match against Juve itself (Juve 1-0 Milan) was very unlucky for Milan, as they could have scored at least twice for sure.
I count these matches as the most unlucky because this was when a little bit of luck failed Milan in the most decisive moment.
The 2-1 loss at Barca was also I thought one of the most unlucky. I mean ok it was Ronnie’s magic, but how often do these balls go in? It was a piece of luck and amazement and style and class at the same time. But here you go. Especially because Milan deserved the draw that time! Very very solid against an attack like Barca’s!
Now lucky matches. I think the only one really was the one against PSV, away. When it was 2-0 to PSV i was scared ("this looks just like deportivo last year for god’s sake" I was saying :)) especially I was disappointed because Dida could have got to it easily! (for a keeper of his class). His saves this year have been outstanding and his work in general. I think this year he has made number 2 of world’s best keepers after the great Gigi Buffon. He saved Milan from Inter! and made some saves in Serie A and in CL which I would call the best of this season in EUROPE overall!
So anyway in this match Milan were lucky to score against PSV. It wasn’t that it was not deserved, but in Champions League to score in the closing minutes to just qualify I think is impossible without at least a small bit of luck. But it was the champion spirit that woke up in Milan at 2-0 that inspired them and with help of luck was enough to get us through.
The most shocking miss of the season I can recall is Inzaghi’s blunder against Juve. I think that effectively settled Milan’s title aspirations. You cannot miss chances like that in the moments as decisive as that! I think bringing on Inzaghi was a big mistake from Ancelotti.
The best goal of Milan this year is no doubt Sheva’s amazing banana shot in the second CL match versus Inter. I truly say that this is the most amazing spin-blast ive ever seen in my life! The angle it took is truly compelling!!! Rui Costa’s amazing curve this year makes 2nd best of this year I think! This goal was something special too. He scored it in Serie A. I think you all know which one I am talking about!
Next year we are expecting Gilardino at least. Though now there is a conspiracy theory that apparently Abramovich’s company which already owns shares in Chelsea, CSKA Moscow, Corinthians and PSV wants to get hold of Parma as well. At which point I doubt Gilardino will be going to Milan (unless he really wants to and will oppose the management of Parma).
Strikers I do not want to see in Milan are (is actually) Philippo Inzaghi. His inability to learn still what an offside is, and generally lack of skill eliminates him. Tomasson is another player, but then he has helped Milan alot this year and again: Ancelotti used his strengths well in attack not to expose his poor technique, first touch, speed and vision!
Crespo is just too old. I think Milan’s only need for refreshment is that in attack.
I was expecting Milan to win CL this year all along and I am pretty sure they will deliver! Amazing performance, amazing team. The only real contenders for Real’s 9 Champions League titles I think!
This Milan squad will be the GALACTICOS for further 3 years at least, I think!
Yet Milan’s class is that they won Champions League titles when proper football was played and not like Real Madrid, six trophies in a row in the first years of the league, when no one was really on it :)
Peter Levchenko
I agree with certain things but it sounds like it was written by team jumping fan-boy.
How Was It For Peter Levchenko? A Review Of AC Milan's Season
5/18/2005 11:08:00 AM
I am a fan of Italian football for the last five years maybe after I switched from the Premiership. I was originally been attracted by Lazio but then as Sheva (my compatriot) moved to Milan, Rossoneri started attracting me a bit as well. But it is with the arrival of my favourite defender really, Alessandro Nesta and then another fav, Jaap Stam, to this team that I switched my attention to Milan.
So last 2-3 years maybe I am with Inter, Juve but especially Milan.
So this season has been phenomenal for us. Milan could have done IT (win both Scudetto and CL) this year but oh well, I thought Milan for both trophies and Juve for nothing is a bit unfair as both these sides have done very well this year, both in Europe and in Italy, finally bringing back to Italy the European fame it deserves. Recently I have been amazed how Italian teams, showing class in Serie A have seriously underperformed in CL (this was with Roma and Lazio). But now I think everything is back to its normal order: I think Milan, Juve and Inter are all AT LEAST potential semi-finalists in CL unless they face each other in the final stages beforehand.
So what I fell in love with completely this year is Milan’s style and tactics. I mean I think the majority of fans this year must agree that Milan’s calmness and confidence as well as maintaining composure in the most decisive moments, both in CL and in Serie A, has been phenomenal. This can be attributed to Carlo Ancelotti’s arrival I think. When he came to Milan I thought, oh, this is just gonna be another "temporary" resolution until Milan lays hands on someone like Capello or Lippi. But this coach has truly forced everyone to respect himself after amazing work he has done in Milan in just past 3 years. Even if you only follow the Champions League you have to agree Milan squad has been growing in terms of experience, confidence and composure during these years. Take Milan - CL winners 2 years ago and take them now: today’s team is much more mature and I think capable of winning much more than that side although (ironically i suppose) Milan still haven’t won any trophies this year. But the greatest reward, CL trophy, is coming this year for sure. If it is not, I think any fan (except Scousers of course :)) will agree that Milan would be the most unlucky side of the year, because they have really done amazingly well. I think in terms of style and consistency and spirit Milan have superseded Juve this year. But of course Juve deserves the Serie A title as they have deservedly won 1-0 (such results make you recall the true tactical gods of play, who deliver when it matters and when expected: Don Fabio :)).
What was Milan’s key to success? I think Ancelotti’s been amazing at pretty basic things: he took Milan’s squad, analysed its strengths and weaknesses, took strengths to maximum exposure and effectiveness. I mean which club in the world can cast any doubt that Milan have no doubt the best defence in Europe? A. Nesta (I think the best defender in the world at the moment), P. Maldini, J. Stam, Cafu (the best right winger still, in my opinion; His main job is to attack by the way!! As is the job of a classic winger of modern football). These names just say it all, I do not need to add any comments on quality here. But it is not only the names, it is also organisation. Nesta-Maldini (much like Cannavaro-Zambrotta) has worked amazingly well. I really love classy Italian defence simply freeze attack of opponents, especially in Europe, and this has probably become the most hated pair of centre-backs :) this year.
But you do not win the Champions League by playing sole defence. Recently on Goal.com there have been many views expressed about attacking tactics (of say Rijkaard’s Barca) or defensive tactics of Chelsea and Liverpool. I think the answer to the most holistic and complete tactical approach is the balanced approach, inherent in Milan this year, a work of Ancellotti, no doubt.
Seedorf and especially Pirlo this season have grown into true technical gurus, displaying creativity in passing and movement on the pitch. Milan’s major key to success this year was pressing in midfield. When you see them (especially in CL) doing that constantly to sides like Manchester or Inter or PSV, they are so confident and successful that even an attack like Man U’s or Inter’s is left frustrated sometimes even struggling to cross the half-way line. Even if crossed, when Milan’s defence is tuned on, there is hardly any chance of the ball getting anywhere near a dangerous position to a striker, especially in the air, Milan’s defence has been pretty much unbeatable.
One of the main constituents to pressing in midfield is no doubt "the best fighter" Gennaro Gattuso. But the achievement in midfield is that Pirlo and Seedorf actually cooperate well with Gattuso and midfield pressing becomes synchronised.
Kaka at the beginning of the season was far from his last year’s levels. But he has steadily recovered and now is Milan’s main "attacking, penetrating arrow". Whilst Pirlo and Seedorf steadily approach opponent’s defence when Kaka operates, his sole effort quite often gets him sharply penetrating defence. And he has worked as a perfect link for attack-midfield, which I think is one of the most important aspects of current football and attacking tactics. Kaka does this job very well and possesses the neccessary technique for great solo efforts, he can decide matches, believe me!
Well, what shall i say about Sheva? Deservedly won Ballon D’Or. I appreciate Ronaldihno’s no doubt supreme technical skills to which Sheva can only aspire to, but on the other hand, Ronnie can as well only aspire to Sheva’s decisiveness, vision and effectiveness in attack. This is precisely why he won the Golden Ball I think. Ronnie can dribble past 3 players in Primera easily but often it does not get him anywhere serious. Sheva’s first touch on receiving a long ball leaves the two defenders of PSV or take even recent Juve game eating dust, way behind. Cannavaro of Juve and Zambrotta would easily make top5-top7 of world’s best defence. I recall: Sheva with his only touch flicks the ball right in between them in an instant while he was actually standing with his back to them when receiving the ball. All done in the air! Only Buffon’s phenomenal quickness of reaction and game readability (he is the world’s best goalie, no doubt) was able to prevent Sheva from scoring. And he rarely missed anything this season! I think another important aspect is that he starts working deep in midfield rather than waiting near the goal, and he is the best this year because he has displayed wonderful all-roundedness and great skill and clinical finishing this year.
Ok we are on to best matches this year. Milan’s best performances in defence are:
Inter 0-0 Milan (first leg, Serie A)
Inter was flying in attack at that time, with phenomenal Adriano and tireless supersonic Martins. At the end of the match Roberto Mancini said: "Well the only players that can stop Adriano are Nesta and Stam and they both play in Milan". Inter hardly had anything near Milan’s goal. We saw Milan’s Nesta and Stam concentrated and on top form. All Adriano’s creativity and Martins speed was not enough. And there were some amazingly typically Italian classy tackles and readability, especially that displayed by Nesta, that I still remember well.
Both Milan-Inter games in the Champions League also displayed superiority of Milan’s defence. These were 2 best matches in the Champions League for Milan I think. I think Inter could have easily made semis had they not played Milan. Milan outclassed, disposed of a team like Inter. It was obvious from the game by Milan’s determination, composure and CONFIDENCE. If you are so confident with a team like Inter, you are the god. That is what I thought at that time. And this was the continuation of two phenomenal games against Man U. Even Eurosport News, who are normally pro-English have posted "Milan outclass Man U to advance to semis". I think Milan’s performance in the Champions League can be summarised by "outclassed". When you OUTCLASS (not edge past, like Chelsea or Liverpool) teams like Man U or Inter (especially when they are in the form they displayed this year), it is trully phenomenal. And this is true, I have watched both matches Milan-Man U. And I was smiling when my english friends and ferguson were blaming bad luck after Man U’s loss at home. No! Milan’s tactics was clearly superiour. And Ferguson’s inability to adjust for Milan’s way was evident in the return leg: it was a repetition of the Manchester match only at home Milan looked more concentrated and solid on finishing Man U off which is what they have done.
You also cannot forget Milan 1-0 Barca and Barca 2-1 Milan. These matches were CL classic this year. Balanced tactics vs pure attack. Well Milan win on "away goals" if that matters. But Barca should only thank Ronaldinho’s phenomenon this year for giving them unconvincing 2-1 win. And that match exposed two best players of this year I think (in attack):
1-Sheva
2-Ronaldihno
They delivered when everyone was expecting them to and that was in the most decisive match at that time in EUROPE, not in local leagues! This is the feature of football’s great.
This is why, for example, I cannot believe Thierry Henry should be anywhere near them two (as he was in FIFA rankings this year!) simply because he hasn’t delivered anything serious in Champions League. However many goals he scores in Premiership is unimportant if he cannot deliver on the European arena, on the level where it truly matters and should truly be acknowledged.
The most unlucky match this year for Milan I count against Lecce.
Milan 2-2 Lecce, which eliminated Milan from the Scudetto race.
That second goal is the most upsetting thing really: I mean Dida lacked a little bit of luck to get that. He was perhaps a millimeter or two off saving it! So unlucky. But oh well.
The match against Juve itself (Juve 1-0 Milan) was very unlucky for Milan, as they could have scored at least twice for sure.
I count these matches as the most unlucky because this was when a little bit of luck failed Milan in the most decisive moment.
The 2-1 loss at Barca was also I thought one of the most unlucky. I mean ok it was Ronnie’s magic, but how often do these balls go in? It was a piece of luck and amazement and style and class at the same time. But here you go. Especially because Milan deserved the draw that time! Very very solid against an attack like Barca’s!
Now lucky matches. I think the only one really was the one against PSV, away. When it was 2-0 to PSV i was scared ("this looks just like deportivo last year for god’s sake" I was saying :)) especially I was disappointed because Dida could have got to it easily! (for a keeper of his class). His saves this year have been outstanding and his work in general. I think this year he has made number 2 of world’s best keepers after the great Gigi Buffon. He saved Milan from Inter! and made some saves in Serie A and in CL which I would call the best of this season in EUROPE overall!
So anyway in this match Milan were lucky to score against PSV. It wasn’t that it was not deserved, but in Champions League to score in the closing minutes to just qualify I think is impossible without at least a small bit of luck. But it was the champion spirit that woke up in Milan at 2-0 that inspired them and with help of luck was enough to get us through.
The most shocking miss of the season I can recall is Inzaghi’s blunder against Juve. I think that effectively settled Milan’s title aspirations. You cannot miss chances like that in the moments as decisive as that! I think bringing on Inzaghi was a big mistake from Ancelotti.
The best goal of Milan this year is no doubt Sheva’s amazing banana shot in the second CL match versus Inter. I truly say that this is the most amazing spin-blast ive ever seen in my life! The angle it took is truly compelling!!! Rui Costa’s amazing curve this year makes 2nd best of this year I think! This goal was something special too. He scored it in Serie A. I think you all know which one I am talking about!
Next year we are expecting Gilardino at least. Though now there is a conspiracy theory that apparently Abramovich’s company which already owns shares in Chelsea, CSKA Moscow, Corinthians and PSV wants to get hold of Parma as well. At which point I doubt Gilardino will be going to Milan (unless he really wants to and will oppose the management of Parma).
Strikers I do not want to see in Milan are (is actually) Philippo Inzaghi. His inability to learn still what an offside is, and generally lack of skill eliminates him. Tomasson is another player, but then he has helped Milan alot this year and again: Ancelotti used his strengths well in attack not to expose his poor technique, first touch, speed and vision!
Crespo is just too old. I think Milan’s only need for refreshment is that in attack.
I was expecting Milan to win CL this year all along and I am pretty sure they will deliver! Amazing performance, amazing team. The only real contenders for Real’s 9 Champions League titles I think!
This Milan squad will be the GALACTICOS for further 3 years at least, I think!
Yet Milan’s class is that they won Champions League titles when proper football was played and not like Real Madrid, six trophies in a row in the first years of the league, when no one was really on it :)
Peter Levchenko