View Full Version : Steven Gerrard?
The two teams meet in Istanbul on Wednesday and Carlo Ancelotti is full of praise for Liverpool's captain and inspiration.
"Steven Gerrard is a great player," he told the Sunday Express newspaper.
"Right now he is a Liverpool player and I am not going to upset Liverpool by talking any more about him.
"But it will be different if he decides in the summer that he wants to leave."
He added: "He is undoubtedly one of the best midfield players in the world.
"Of course, any top club would want him in their side. I like him very much - he is a wonderful player."
Gerrard has previously been linked with moves to Chelsea and Real Madrid.
Scaryscouse
24-05-2005, 06:27
You haven't got a chance of getting Stevie off us!
i dont think this is a good poll because i dont agree to both of those options, we dont really need him but i wouldnt mind having him here, hes really good but we would be much better off with some1 like pizarro i think and besides he costs alot ...however i do think he can suit us
scary scouse, look at the results... we dont even want him here
Scaryscouse
24-05-2005, 08:04
scary scouse, look at the results... we dont even want him here
What results? :D
Only messing, it does seem like a rather poor attempt to wind us up all the same. Had he said Xavi Alonso people might have actually been concerned.
atleast at milan, we don't have 1 player dictating what we have to do, we are not at the mercy of an individual player, We are team.
:v408:
He has no place with us. We need some reserves, like a Pirlo backup and Gerrard IMO is for the flat 4-4-2 not for the diamond midfield. BTW he's too good to be a reserve and you have to see if he'll adopt in Italy.
Stezagud
24-05-2005, 10:09
I agree with MK, its hard to vote because Milan dont need Gerrard as such but if he came he would improve the team.
I dont think he'll want to leave Liverpool after there CL performance this year even if their domestic form has still be poor (particularly away, and in Europe you cant get much further away from Liverpool than Istanbul :cool: ) They rejected a massive bid last year from Chelsea and would be well placed to reject another.
Scaryscouse
24-05-2005, 10:19
atleast at milan, we don't have 1 player dictating what we have to do, we are not at the mercy of an individual player, We are team.
:v408:
Thats true too a certain extent, but any Liverpool fan will awknowledge that some of our biggest results and sometimes best football has come without Gerrard in the team. Alonso and Hamann gelled much quicker, only know are SG and Xavi Alonso beginning to click and Gerrards influence is becoming more controlled. By that I mean he now realises he can't do it all himself or aswell as Alonso for that matter.
I wasn't actually being a smart arse there, had he said they were considering a move for Alonso I think that would have struck more of a nerve with the Liverpool fans.
As far as we were concerned Gerrard was gone at the end of the season anyway.
I seriously feel that Liverpool will do better if they sell Gerard, because that gives Benitez the funds to start and trust me Benitez will definately take the Club forward, I have always respected him as a Coach and as an Individual.
and Scaryscouse i have been supporting Liverpool since 87.
:gonova:
Scaryscouse
24-05-2005, 10:37
So then I think you'll agree I'm not talking complete ****e so. Most fans were already spending the Gerrard money and also were taking great heart from the performances without him. Alonso on the other hand I think would crush us if he left.
Granted Igor Biscan and Salif Diao aren't good enough squad players when you loose someone like him but 30 million would have gone a long way in sorting that out.
So you've followed Liverpool since '87, how long have you followed Milan? Purely out of curiosity?
I would agree we'd probably be better off without Gerrard but he's showed renewed enthusiasm of late.
Scaryscouse
24-05-2005, 10:43
Apologies I didn't realise I couldn't swear.
So you've followed Liverpool since '87, how long have you followed Milan? Purely out of curiosity?
88
:love: :love: :love:
Apologies I didn't realise I couldn't swear.
You can Swear.
:5love:
zlatanov
24-05-2005, 12:17
I would rather see Juninho Pernambucano or/and David Pizarro in our midfield for next season. Gerrard is great in the EPL but I have very strong doubts that he would be as good in Serie A, not to mention that to get him, Milan will have to pay at least 30 mil euros.
I think he would adapt quite well and he would be almost as influential playing in our midfield 3. It doesn't matter what league you are in, tackling, passing and shooting are the same wherever you play ... those 3 areas of the game don't change if you play in England or Italy or wherever. With him you would get 100% commitment and effort, something that is sometimes lacking from certain other midfielders.
But i agree, it would be a waste of time and money to buy him if you weren't going to start him.
Plus i want him to stay at Liverpool ... although if he did have to move, i would hope it would be to Milan :D
Maradona (10)
24-05-2005, 12:58
Let Gerrard stay in England.
Rapierist
24-05-2005, 13:07
Well, I don't like Steven Gerrard at all (not because I think he is a bad football player, he is actually quite good).
But Liverpool fans saying that they'd be better off without Gerrard than without Alonso? I mean Alonso is a good player and all, but Gerrard seems to be one of the most committed players in the Liverpool team. I don't know how much of the tabloid talk about Gerrard leaving is true, but certainly, if those kind of offers came in for Alonso, do you think he'd hang around at Liverpool?
zlatanov
24-05-2005, 13:11
I think he would adapt quite well and he would be almost as influential playing in our midfield 3. It doesn't matter what league you are in, tackling, passing and shooting are the same wherever you play ... those 3 areas of the game don't change if you play in England or Italy or wherever. With him you would get 100% commitment and effort, something that is sometimes lacking from certain other midfielders.
But i agree, it would be a waste of time and money to buy him if you weren't going to start him.
Plus i want him to stay at Liverpool ... although if he did have to move, i would hope it would be to Milan :D
Almost everything is different when you go from EPL to Serie A - space provided by the oponent, field organization of the opponent as a team, etc. All this greatly effects the efficency of a player maybe not how hard he tackles but definitely the accuracy of his passing. Shooting accuracy does depend on personal ability and this is the same in EPL or Serie A however one thing that is different, and CRUCIAL, is the time ont the ball given to Gerrard by his opponents and enough space to aim and execute that shot in an accurate manner. This is where the difference between Serie A and EPL lies - Gerrard may have the same personal abilities in Italy but what he won't find there is the ample amount of time and space he enjoys so much in the EPL.
Ah yes, the old "time on the ball" suggestion. To be perfectly honest, i don't think that is entirely relevant now-a-days ... it doesn't hold as much meaning as it used to. It is widely regarded that the Premiership is the fastest league in the world, most foreign players that come to England always find it hard to adjust to the pace and the high tempo of the game. People who have played in Italy and/or Spain say how quick it is here compared to the slower natured games on the continent, so how can you say you get more time on the ball in the premiership ?
Whatever league you are in, if you play against a good team you'll be closed down quickly and denied the space or time to work in. You find that all over, not just in Italy. Besides, if you're a good enough player, you make your own time and space on the ball no matter where you play your football.
I'm not saying he'd take to serie A like a duck to water, there would be a period of transition just like any player would experience from outside Italy. But he would get over it and adjust.
Why am i not surprised that is your view Maradona (10) ? :rollani:
You haven't got a chance of getting Stevie off us!
Silly, of course there is a chance, while that all depends on what Gerrard himself want.
I would welcome him with open arms, not that we are in need of him. His combination of technical and physical strenghts are great and he would fit nice into our team. Of course we could discuss instead of who he would play and so on.
Stezagud
25-05-2005, 10:41
Of course we could discuss instead of who he would play and so on.
A tough choice as Gerrard can play any as a defensive, central, right or attacking midfielder and still be effective. If he could be persauded to sit on the bench he'd be the ultimate midfield substitute :D
Maradona (10)
25-05-2005, 12:54
Why am i not surprised that is your view Maradona (10) ? :rollani:
Maybe because we dont need Gerrard?
Pirate.
sehnsucht79
26-05-2005, 00:48
Hmmm I just found out that Traore actually rejected a deal to join Milan sometime back and chose to join 'Pool instead
Ok so its quite unrelated to the thread but whatever :D
Hmmm I just found out that Traore actually rejected a deal to join Milan sometime back and chose to join 'Pool instead
:D
Lucky for Us, anyway last night he was more of a Milan player than anything else :sagrin:
Stezagud
26-05-2005, 11:04
Pirate.
the "Pirates" did you a favour mate....
Im astonished to see a player like Traore lift the Champions League :eek: anyone who saw his performance against lowly Burnley in this years FA Cup (he scored the best own goal of the season) will be too. I honestly thought he'd be loaned out ands then sold this summer after that but he actually played well vs Chelsea and Juve. Last night his terrible positional sense was horribly exposed though, unfortunately to no avail :(
pool should atleast thank him for clearing a sheva goal off the line
valerio_13
28-05-2005, 07:20
no need to him. english market is way too costly and not so good. we shall look to brazilian/argentinian market where real talent is found.
Maradona (10)
28-05-2005, 14:00
no need to him. english market is way too costly and not so good. we shall look to brazilian/argentinian market where real talent is found.
Of course.
talented players are found everywhere, including England ... it's not monopolised by Argentina and Brazil :rollani:
Plus the football market in general is costly, not just in the Premiership.
the "Pirates" did you a favour mate....
Im astonished to see a player like Traore lift the Champions League :eek: anyone who saw his performance against lowly Burnley in this years FA Cup (he scored the best own goal of the season) will be too. I honestly thought he'd be loaned out ands then sold this summer after that but he actually played well vs Chelsea and Juve. Last night his terrible positional sense was horribly exposed though, unfortunately to no avail :(
i can`t believe harry kewell has a winners medal too!!! LOL!!
i think gerrard would be awesome in any team.
i think he could replace seedorf no problem. the guy can do everything as he has 100% commitment and a "never say die" attitude, which u cant say about everyone else in the milan team....
Stezagud
29-05-2005, 06:52
i can`t believe harry kewell has a winners medal too!!! LOL!!
yeah, when i saw him jumping around on the victory parade i was thinking the same thing. I was astonished Benitez started him :p286:
i think gerrard would be awesome in any team.
i think he could replace seedorf no problem. the guy can do everything as he has 100% commitment and a "never say die" attitude, which u cant say about everyone else in the milan team....
I said before the game that he could play numerous positions and be great in them all but i didnt expect him to do it in the final. When they needed a goal they send him further forward and he gets it, when they needed to defend the draw they put him at Right Back and he largely shackled Serginho while still driving the team :eek:
I believe that he was not diving tonight, but to be honest, there is no way this is a penalty. way way too harsh on Sheffield United today.
I'm a bit puzzled why you bring this up Jeff :googly:
Indeed :S
just delete it :(
coz i just find this relevant to this thread which seems to die down a bit anyway.
relevant to a 1 year old dead thread ??
gees :(
We don't need Gerrard Jeff ;)
Liverpool need him more....
We don't need Gerrard Jeff ;)
Liverpool need him more....
I agree; Liverpool will be done without Gerrard; but will the same happen to Milan when Sheva is gone??? :5dito: :5dito: :5dito:
relevant to a 1 year old dead thread ??
gees :(
I didn't notice that. As a mod, I should have simply closed this thread right?
IMO yes, you should :tong:
Josh-Sheva
20-08-2006, 03:58
Closing a thread that is a year old and is not official is the right thing to do :)
Time for some spring cleaning and general tidying up in the transfer forums :D
Dr Milano
20-08-2006, 07:29
Time for some spring cleaning and general tidying up in the transfer forums :D
lol true ..............................
vBulletin® v3.7.1, Copyright ©2000-2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.