PDA

View Full Version : what happened tonight???? CL FINAL


Gemma
25-05-2005, 16:59
:r7: How the hell did we let that go so easily to liverpool??? where was shevchenko, with that penalty he was more a liverpool player than a rossonero. I'm stunned!!

Milanfan_86
25-05-2005, 17:03
Im speechless. I can't believe that happened.

walmania
25-05-2005, 17:08
can we just forget about tonight and learn from it. Talking about and discussing what happened should be left for a few days IMO. Everyone get a good night sleep if they can and tomorrow is a new season!

This is football, you take the rough with the smooth, 1 day for you and another against you, life goes on and Milan will always be Milan and we will all still be Milan supporters no matter what!

Lets get behind the team for next season so that they can paint a smile on our faces once more!

Gemma
25-05-2005, 17:10
thats a good attitude walmania

almilan
25-05-2005, 17:13
just home from the pub where i watched the match surrounded by liverpool supporters including some of my best friends i cant believe we lost im in shock we completely dominated apart from 6 mins of madness im close to tears to be honest

i would have won 700 euro if milan had won 2nite but to be honest the money is inmaterial at this stage

next year hopefully

Nadir
25-05-2005, 17:13
just a poor attitude in the team. the deportivo syndrome is deep deep deep in this team. either they have a supreme case of overconfidence or have no knowledge of how to close of games.

Gemma
25-05-2005, 17:16
Nadir,
I agree with you completely there, I really do believe that we handed that trophy/title to liverpool tonight, I'm disgusted!

Reza
25-05-2005, 17:19
Is it ok if we have one thread to discuss tonight, the season etc.? other than game thread ofcourse

Gemma
25-05-2005, 17:22
yeh sorry i didn't see another thread when i posted this one, oops :S

Nadir
25-05-2005, 17:23
gemma, i watched about 80% of serie A games milan played this season and about 90% of Milan's champions league games. in the second half of the season, milan won a lot of games in the last minute using their closing show of laying siege to the goal and finally scoring in the 94th min. Milan tried that against Liverpool tonight but really, is that how you play a game to win!? The great teams put the result beyond reach and lock down and never let the opponents get a look in. Milan on the other hand, just throw away leads by
1) taking ridiculous shots at goal after being 1-0 up. PASS the ball to the open player!! Don't look for glory! (this happened in the brescia and siena games)
2) losing focus at the task in hand. what were they thinking just before liverpool score goal number 2 and why trip a player in the box? it is obviously going to be a penalty!
3) seedorf - enuff said.
4) too many overlapping runs by cafu. he is 34 and he is SUPPOSED TO DEFEND. if he runs so much, how can he defend?
5) stam - he is good at one position and that is centre back. and he is only good if he is not requred to run and if it is 1-on-1. if he is required to run he loses out. we need the return to the sweeper system. stam should be a sub.

actually having two threads is better... the other thread has a lot of "DAMN!! we lost" posts so we lose a lot of what is said :)

Milanfan_86
25-05-2005, 17:23
I can't believe we threw a three goal lead away. Liverpool where rubbish in the first half. Let's look ahead to next season when we will crown ourselves European champions again.

Reza
25-05-2005, 17:26
Not that I can write much usually and even less so now...but I hope we just don't take these events, last month or so, as an aberration and not look at everything including the defense.
Even forgetting about the about the game itself the penalties alone (the way they were taken) were in big contrast to the 2003 final. Something just wasn't right :(

Gemma
25-05-2005, 17:26
, is that how you play a game to win!? The great teams put the result beyond reach and lock down and never let the opponents get a look in. Milan on the other hand, just throw away leads by



It sure isn't how you play to win, in my mind to play to win means u dont give up until the whistle is blown, there has been too much of milan resting on their laurels after scoring, tonight it was the undoing of us!

Gemma
25-05-2005, 17:28
. Something just wasn't right :(


Yes Shevchenko wasnt right! Tonight he really reminded me of Del Piero playing in the Euro 2000 final for Italy - just didn't try at all!! :dumpf:

Nadir
25-05-2005, 17:28
Not that I can write much usually and even less so now...but I hope we just don't take these events, last month or so, as an aberration and not look at everything including the defense.
Even forgetting about the about the game itself the penalties alone (the way they were taken) were in big contrast to the 2003 final. Something just wasn't right :(

we didn't lose on penalties tonight. we lost on attitude. as soon as it was 3-3 i knew it was over. there was no way liverpool were letting it go now.
i feel worse than when my ex cheated on me right now. at least there are other girls. there is only one milan :(

Milanfan_86
25-05-2005, 17:28
It sure isn't how you play to win, in my mind to play to win means u dont give up until the whistle is blown, there has been too much of milan resting on their laurels after scoring, tonight it was the undoing of us!

I think the same thing. When i'm playing on the pitch and we are winning 4-0, i give 110% and think it's 0-0. I think we thought this will be a walk over now but it was clearly not.

Nadir
25-05-2005, 17:31
I think the same thing. When i'm playing on the pitch and we are winning 4-0, i give 110% and think it's 0-0. I think we thought this will be a walk over now but it was clearly not.

yes. i used to coach a university soccer team. even when we were winning i never stopped thinking we will lose. and that attitude filtered through the rest of the team. how can a crap coach like me with a crap team like mine have more sense in attitude than the greatest of the best players in the best team in the world - Milan? it defies explanation!

Reza
25-05-2005, 17:33
we lost on attitude.

Yes I agree the manner of the penalties just really showed it.

Gemma
25-05-2005, 17:35
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may25i.html

Nadir
25-05-2005, 17:36
i was so happy for paolo when he scored. it would have been the icing on the cake to a spectacular career. now it's nothing.

Gemma
25-05-2005, 17:39
quote from the bbc website - player ratings

"Paolo Maldini - 8: Simply the best. Scored, tore up and down his wing and kept his team-mates cool when Liverpool fought back. "

Nadir
25-05-2005, 17:44
I am very very disappointed like all of you guys and I don't feel that way because we lost the game but because of the way we lost it. I would like to congratulate Liverpool for a worthy champion must know that a game of football last until the ref blows the final whistle and not a second before that.
With all due respect to Liverpool, however, I am saddened by the fact that after a great first-half display by us, the title was ours to lose and that's exactly what we managed to do in the second half. I see this game as the perfect summary of our whole 04/05 season - we managed to lose the games we seemed destined to win easily for we got into the habit of losing concentration and allowing goals in almost every game we showed to be the superior side by a mile. This final looks to be the "perfect" ending of a disappointing season for one overconfident Milan, disappointing not because we didn't win anything but because we could have won everything and we let it slip away due to our, at times, preposterous behavior on the field.
I am sorry to say it but I guess the Depor lesson wasn't enough for us and so we gave ourselves an even more painful one tonight. I just hope that the players will overcome the disappointment and be back at their best next season, this time charged with more concentration and humility.
To look for heroes and villains is always easy when the cart has been flipped over - all Milan players and coaching staff have to be blamed for what happend this year just like all of them should be praised for what happened over the last two seasons.
Forza Milan !!!

excellent post and i agree totally. I remember when this season started, Debs had made a comment about the gold lettering on the milan jersey and said that that it looked very arrogant and lacked humility. she was absolutely right and it was indiicative of the season. the only player who came out of this storm smelling like lillies is Dida. Not only does he define class but he embodies it and is an example to all.

also nice of gerard to go around the milan players consoling them.

dabdob
25-05-2005, 17:56
Well, we certainly did not lose tonight, we let them win, and that hurt even more. 6 minutes summarized out the whole season (54' - 60') Reckless defending, and confused midfield. It all started with Livorno this year, and was best displayed in the PSV game.

Nadir
25-05-2005, 17:59
Well, we certainly did not lose tonight, we let them win, and that hurt even more. 6 minutes summarized out the whole season (54' - 60') Reckless defending, and confused midfield. It all started with Livorno this year, and was best displayed in the PSV game.

the most horrific game, after this game was, brescia 1 - milan 1. how they tied that game is uncomprehsible.

dabdob
25-05-2005, 18:10
the most horrific game, after this game was, brescia 1 - milan 1. how they tied that game is uncomprehsible.

Well I am proud of Milan tonight. Apart form the 6-minute black out, they showed character.

BTW, what is you reaction of the referee ignorig=ng the linseman call for offside that was a result of the second goal for Liverpool?

Nadir
25-05-2005, 18:19
Well I am proud of Milan tonight. Apart form the 6-minute black out, they showed character.

BTW, what is you reaction of the referee ignorig=ng the linseman call for offside that was a result of the second goal for Liverpool?

there is nothing to be proud of THIS milan tonight but there is reason to be proud of milan. period. the ref has a right to ignore the linesman. and it did look like a penalty.

let's be clear about one thing - milan lost the game in attitude. not because of the ref, not because of PK's, not because of the coach, or the tactics - just attitude. and this is the most base, lowest denominator. if attitude is missing, then we shouldn't even complain about ref's decisions, because it is like saying, "we don't have any money to buy bread but we want to complain about the clothes that the bread salesman is wearing."

Shevchenko7
25-05-2005, 18:34
The ref ingoring the linesman was terrible, I dont think it was the ref ignoring, more the fact he didnt see the flag and the linesman wasnt persistant.

Dudek coming off his line vs Pirlo was outragous, should have been re-taken and things may well have been different.

Sheva....sad sad day.... how did he miss both times ???

We dominated, 7 minutes of madness and were left wondering what happened.

Tomasson = garbage... he scores a goal here and there but he is not good enough for Milan.


Sad day and season as a whole but still, FORZA MILAN!

dabdob
25-05-2005, 18:36
there is nothing to be proud of THIS milan tonight but there is reason to be proud of milan. period. the ref has a right to ignore the linesman. and it did look like a penalty.

let's be clear about one thing - milan lost the game in attitude. not because of the ref, not because of PK's, not because of the coach, or the tactics - just attitude. and this is the most base, lowest denominator. if attitude is missing, then we shouldn't even complain about ref's decisions, because it is like saying, "we don't have any money to buy bread but we want to complain about the clothes that the bread salesman is wearing."

I am in total agreement with you! I am not trying to blame the ref, I am blaming the 6 minutes of ignorance (if you well). I just want to know your opinion about the incident, and I am talking about the second goal, not the third

Nadir
25-05-2005, 18:39
I am in total agreement with you! I am not trying to blame the ref, I am blaming the 6 minutes of ignorance (if you well). I just want to know your opinion about the incident, and I am talking about the second goal, not the third

i mentioned earlier, maybe in the other thread, what i thought of that incident before the 2nd goal. total lack of concentration. there were 7-8 liverpool players around and Milan decide to take that freekick as a result of the offside, quickly. WHY TAKE IT SO QUICK? Especially since Liverpool wanted to keep up the pace!? They should have taken that chance to slow the game down, wait for the liverpool players to return to their half and then take the kick. instead they took it almost immediately and then turned the ball over. it was pure lack of concentration. frigg. i am so frigging mad at their attitude. they broke so many hearts.

dabdob
25-05-2005, 18:40
The ref ingoring the linesman was terrible, I dont think it was the ref ignoring, more the fact he didnt see the flag and the linesman wasnt persistant.

Dudek coming off his line vs Pirlo was outragous, should have been re-taken and things may well have been different.

Sheva....sad sad day.... how did he miss both times ???

We dominated, 7 minutes of madness and were left wondering what happened.

Tomasson = garbage... he scores a goal here and there but he is not good enough for Milan.


Sad day and season as a whole but still, FORZA MILAN!

You can't blame Dudek, because you have to blame Dida two years ago for the same act against Montero.

Sheva was unlucky tonight. I agree. I hope this won't affect his future play

Shevchenko7
25-05-2005, 18:41
You can't blame Dudek, because you have to blame Dida two years ago for the same act against Montero.

Sheva was unlucky tonight. I agree. I hope this won't affect his future play

Dida was not THAT far off the line, Dudek was 3 or 4 meters out, totally unacceptable. :moan:

dabdob
25-05-2005, 18:45
mms://a1026.v98113.c9811.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1026/9811/v001/media2.acmilan.com/200505/1752_bb.wmv

If anyone cares!

lolofernandez
25-05-2005, 18:50
Ancelloti lacked the balls to substitute sheva instead of crespo. Crespo scored 2 goals, he palyed really well, why u substitute him?!?!?
Ancelloti didnt know how to close the games. ITs sad to say but with capello or lippi that would never happen. We need to rejuventate the team also bot drastically but in some positions i think aimar and samuel would be good additions to our squad. We can say goodbye to tomasson and rui costa i guess...

Nadir
25-05-2005, 18:56
Ancelloti lacked the balls to substitute sheva instead of crespo. Crespo scored 2 goals, he palyed really well, why u substitute him?!?!?
Ancelloti didnt know how to close the games. ITs sad to say but with capello or lippi that would never happen. We need to rejuventate the team also bot drastically but in some positions i think aimar and samuel would be good additions to our squad. We can say goodbye to tomasson and rui costa i guess...

if he subbed sheva, he would be shot by berlusconi, the milan mafia, this forum and galliani would hire a hitman to assasinate carlo.

Billy_Montreal
25-05-2005, 18:59
You can't blame Dudek, because you have to blame Dida two years ago for the same act against Montero.


I disagree. Dida took two steps in that shot...in this one Dudek took FOUR steps before Pirlo's foot touched the ball: totally unaccepatable.

Liverpool showed heart, perseverance and character but Sheva's ONSIDE goal; the inexistent penalty shot all helped them truimph. The ref seemed to be caught up in the momentum and failed to see the Pool player take a dive on Gattuso's touch.

No excuse for letting go of a three goal lead especially after DOMINATING the first half...however, in extra time Milan really pushed hard and cannot be accused for standing back.

Nevertheless....as dark as this day is ...


FORZA MILAN

..forever :3band:

Nadir
25-05-2005, 19:03
CRESPO: 'Too beautiful to be true'
5/26/2005
ISTANBUL - Hernan Crespo, who scored an useless double, said: ’It was too much. It was too beautiful to be true. It is hard, but this is football. Three-nil at half time, with me scoring two goals. I repeat... it was too beautiful to be good. I cannot understand how it happened, I cannot find a reason, however we will try again next season, we will take our revenge. Liverpool did very well, they also risked much, but when things must go the wrong way in football, they just do it. We had many chances, it went like this, the save on Sheva was incredible at the end, but we gave our best. I congratulate them.'

meazza
25-05-2005, 19:53
if he subbed sheva, he would be shot by berlusconi, the milan mafia, this forum and galliani would hire a hitman to assasinate carlo.

I think this is another one of milans big problems. maybe not so much the "mafia" part but the Berlusconi part, he needs to shut his mouth, I think his demeanor undermines the coach. ok he wants a flat back 4 and 2 strikers, it's his club, he can decide that, but to constantly threaten and moan is unacceptable.

the other problem is our complete inability to respect the opposition when we think we've done enough. we should have been out there working our socks off to make it to 65-70mins without conceding knowing that by then liverpool would be dejected and lost, instead we came out and messed about and hoped liverpool wouldn't bother trying to hard.

meazza
25-05-2005, 19:54
p.s what is it about english teams and ****e flukey wins in the CL?

ACMILAN1983
25-05-2005, 20:40
I do think attitude was the problem, but I can't say it was due to overconfidence. In fact, to me it seemed more a lack of confidence.

I hate to say it, but since previous encounters, of which the Depor match is at the helm, the players seem to lose confidence if a team has a slight hope of getting back into a match in which we are dominating.

The final was no difference, Gerrard was left unmarked for the first goal. At this point, the players should have composed themselves, taken note of the situation and realised that Liverpool would attempt to apply great pressure. Instead, it seemed the players went into a state of panic and lost control of not only the game and possession, but also tactical awareness and positioning, which allowed Liverpool space in front of our defence. Then, once Liverpool level things up, the players were put under so much pressure that they were forced to attempt to dominate the match and control precedings, which they once again began to do, stopping Liverpool completely.

To deal with this problem, firstly the players must at all times make sure that there are never any lapses in concentration in the side. If the opposition score, then the side must regain its composure and shape as soon as they kick off, to prevent the opposition from taking advantage of our vunerability at the time.

I think the most important element needed above all atm in this Milan squad is growth in confidence and mentality to deal with pressure. Since Depor, we seem to have gotten weaker at dealing with such problems, which results in us struggling against pressure.

nicostallion
25-05-2005, 20:47
i cant sleep at all, im still shocked from the defeat it was like fate made sure we didnt win, this is the hardest defeat i must accept. But the refs decisions were dubious, especially the linesman not letting shevas goal stand. The one thing i can not understand though is why did ancelottie not change his tactics when we clearly saw liverpool put 6 men in their miffield second half. Surly we should of gone to a 4-5-1 formation. to help us out, but im still in desbelief what happened tonight

lolofernandez
25-05-2005, 20:51
Sometimes u have to substitute ur franchise player. I love sheva but it wasnt his night, just as simple as that. Why Ancelloti sacrifice crespo on the last 30 minutes of the most improtant game? why he didnt play against juve either? he is one of the best centre foward of football and the only one who adapts his style to shevas's.

Do milan have to change coach for next season? i dunno. right now i will fire him but thats because im angry. Carlo needs to fix the mentality of the team, quite frankly thats our weakest point right now.

One question. Why the hell italians sides doesnt know how to ****ing shoot a pk??? the same thing happen on 1994-98 world cups, intercontinental, etc. Its not possible that we lack character to shoot PKs. On this instances shoot in the middle with eyes closed with all ur heart, kill the mofo for god sake!!!

Nadir
25-05-2005, 20:53
Sometimes u have to substitute ur franchise player. I love sheva but it wasnt his night, just as simple as that. Why Ancelloti sacrifice crespo on the last 30 minutes of the most improtant game? why he didnt play against juve either? he is one of the best centre foward of football and the only one who adapts his style to shevas's.

Do milan have to change coach for next season? i dunno. right now i will fire him but thats because im angry. Carlo needs to fix the mentality of the team, quite frankly thats our weakest point right now.

One question. Why the hell italians sides doesnt know how to ****ing shoot a pk??? the same thing happen on 1994-98 world cups, intercontinental, etc. Its not possible that we lack character to shoot PKs. On this instances shoot in the middle with eyes closed with all ur heart, kill the mofo for god sake!!!

yah. why jdt instead of crespo against juve. i heard he was injured but who knows. right now, who cares. it's all over. will anyone even care about the game against udinese?

nicostallion
25-05-2005, 20:59
he left a hungry pippo inzaghi on the stands. IF inzaghi was on the bench and he came on instead of tomasson i tell you this now, the moral of milan would have been lifted, pippo is one of those players who gets the team going

harrisonbrown
25-05-2005, 21:24
A lapse which was capitalised on! To our defeat. We need to pick ourselves up from this, and move forward as a team. We know where we are going wrong, and where we are so strong. We played to our best and worse tonight. Despite being disappointed, I'm proud. Dudek needs a slap for being off his line tho, why are referees so quick to give penalties, and slow on issues just as important? But that's football, the beautiful game at it's best.

Nadir
25-05-2005, 21:36
i can accept 1 goal being conceded. i can accept 2 goals being conceded. heck i can even accept 3 goals being conceded - but i can't accept 3 goals being conceded in 6 minutes!!!

derekhski
25-05-2005, 21:42
Oh my, Oh my, the game tonight looked like it was in the bag (won) at half time. Unfortunately Milan, IMO, went to a zone type defense, and didnt attack or mark every player in the area, this is what I think caused our loss. It just seems to me that Milan is bad a holding a lead thru playing a more defensive game, or sitting back and defending. I saw the PSV second game, which I feel like we attempted the same tatic at playing a zone type defense, and not marking in a Man to Man format. Keep in mind this is only my opinion.
For me, living in the US, only seeing a minimal of games each year, this is what I feel like I saw in this game. Milan is a great side, but wehn they play, what I would call a defensive zone type defence, and dont cover Man on Man, we seem to give the holes that provide oppurtunity.
I certainly only mean the as a cirticism. I'm no coach, and not even a great player, but I will remain a great fan of Milan. My first ever live European game was with Milan and Bayern M. in Milan in the CL in 2001. Since then I have only rooted for Milan, and will continue with this commitment. We lose, we win, we play with spirit. I'm proud of all of our players and want them to know that they will continue to have my spirit of support. One year that ends without a trophy is not a catastrophy, we must look forward to next year.
All in all I just wanted to put in my two cents worth.

Forza Milan!!!!

Nadir
25-05-2005, 21:59
interesting analysis on the zone defence. i never thought of it that way but you could be spot on.

Xudong
25-05-2005, 21:59
Probably Pirlo should stop right there (before kicking the ball) and deal with the referee that Dudek violated the rule, things could be completely different.

Nadir
25-05-2005, 22:02
Probably Pirlo should stop right there (before kicking the ball) and deal with the referee that Dudek violated the rule, things could be completely different.

no. don't think for a moment that we lost the game at the penalty shoot out. we lost the game after 3-2. i knew it was a matter of time before they conceded the 3rd goal. their attitude sucked at that point. forget the PKs.

ac_milan_foreva
25-05-2005, 22:04
can we just forget about tonight and learn from it. Talking about and discussing what happened should be left for a few days IMO. Everyone get a good night sleep if they can and tomorrow is a new season!

This is football, you take the rough with the smooth, 1 day for you and another against you, life goes on and Milan will always be Milan and we will all still be Milan supporters no matter what!

Lets get behind the team for next season so that they can paint a smile on our faces once more!

no... thats what we said after depor but looks like we havent learned.

Nadir
25-05-2005, 22:08
SIGH ... reliving the past. what coulda been :(


Maldini, Crespo double put Milan 3-0 up at halftime
Wed May 25, 2005 8:36 PM BST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

ISTANBUL, May 25 (Reuters) - An early goal from captain Paolo Maldini and two by Argentine striker Hernan Crespo gave AC Milan a 3-0 lead over Liverpool at halftime in the Champions League final on Wednesday.

Maldini put the Italians ahead in the first minute with a downward volley from an Andrea Pirlo free kick, which bounced through a crowded area and beat the outstretched arm of Liverpool keeper Jerzy Dudek.

The defender's goal, his first of the season, was the fastest in a European Cup final since Enrique Mateos for Real Madrid against Stade de Reims in 1959. At 36, the Milan captain also became the oldest player to score in a final.

In an explosive start, Liverpool's Finnish defender Sami Hyypia forced Milan keeper Dida into a save with a firm header and Milan went close to a second when Crespo's header from a corner was cleared off the line by Liverpool midfielder Luis Garcia.

Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez was forced into a change in the 23rd minute when Australian Harry Kewell, a surprise starter, picked up a knock and had to be replaced by Czech midfielder Vladimir Smicer.

That changed little and Milan's European Footballer of the Year Andriy Shevchenko had an effort ruled out for offside in the 29th minute after Kaka took advantage of the vast space left to him in midfield to burst forward.

Six minutes before the break Crespo tapped home a low Shevchenko cross at the back post to put Carlo Ancelotti's side 2-0 up, and Kaka's sublime through ball set up the Argentine for his second a minute before the break.


© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

UBigBobby
25-05-2005, 22:25
Oh my, Oh my, the game tonight looked like it was in the bag (won) at half time. Unfortunately Milan, IMO, went to a zone type defense, and didnt attack or mark every player in the area, this is what I think caused our loss. It just seems to me that Milan is bad a holding a lead thru playing a more defensive game, or sitting back and defending. I saw the PSV second game, which I feel like we attempted the same tatic at playing a zone type defense, and not marking in a Man to Man format. Keep in mind this is only my opinion.
For me, living in the US, only seeing a minimal of games each year, this is what I feel like I saw in this game. Milan is a great side, but wehn they play, what I would call a defensive zone type defence, and dont cover Man on Man, we seem to give the holes that provide oppurtunity.
I certainly only mean the as a cirticism. I'm no coach, and not even a great player, but I will remain a great fan of Milan. My first ever live European game was with Milan and Bayern M. in Milan in the CL in 2001. Since then I have only rooted for Milan, and will continue with this commitment. We lose, we win, we play with spirit. I'm proud of all of our players and want them to know that they will continue to have my spirit of support. One year that ends without a trophy is not a catastrophy, we must look forward to next year.
All in all I just wanted to put in my two cents worth.

Forza Milan!!!!


I agree on the thing about the defense. The only time I get to watch my Milan is when ESPN decided that they're more important than poker, billiards, and the rodeo. Which is maybe 1 or 2 times a season. Not to mention that Fox Soccer Channel REALLY NEEDS to get a contract with Serie A.

But i regress. i noticed the same thing about the defense. We do play more of a "zone" and that allows teams to put together good runs off the ball together. Still, I didn't think the defense was too bad. Stamm was a beast. Liverpool played with the heart the Rossoneri didn't have in the 2nd half, and got lucky. Dida could have, and should have saved that 2nd goal, and he DID save the PK, but Nesta got a bad jump on the rebound. Those were both very unlucky goals. It should have been 3-1, but luck wasn't on our side. But hey...Champions Lague finals 2 of the last 3 years...we're the only club to be dominating like that Internationally right now. Silvio seems dedicated to making Milan a perrenial winner as we should be, so I'm confident we'll come back even stronger next season.

Also, on ESPN today, they said something about Ancelotti possibly being let go after this season?

Nadir
25-05-2005, 22:26
ancelotti's job is secure. both galliani and berlusconi confirmed it

UBigBobby
25-05-2005, 22:27
ancelotti's job is secure. both galliani and berlusconi confirmed it

More reasons why ESPN is good for nothing other than baseball and sportscenter.

heidi azalea
25-05-2005, 23:46
More reasons why ESPN is good for nothing other than baseball and sportscenter.
ESPN sucks, the commentators to cameramen biased on Liverpool.... I prefered local channels which the commentators were neutral, fair & square !

Shevchenko7
26-05-2005, 00:06
no... thats what we said after depor but looks like we havent learned.

It *was* happening vs PSV aswell, thankfully Ambrosini came to the rescue.

It even happened on the weekend 3-1 --> 3-3.... Only Milan could of lost that match after being 3-0 up, something about the team,its impossible to explain but the way in which we self destruct has cost us yet again.

I don't blame Ancelotti or 1 single player, we just lost it for 6 or 7 minutes and Liverpool killed us.

june3006_72
26-05-2005, 00:20
ESPN sucks, the commentators to cameramen biased on Liverpool.... I prefered local channels which the commentators were neutral, fair & square !

ESPN sucked, same as the match PSV v/s AC Milan they wanted to win PSV.
Still cant believe this :groan:

sehnsucht79
26-05-2005, 00:22
Personally I feel that Milan was good up until that - as Carlo puts it - "six minutes of insanity". During that span of time Milan gave away their greatest weakness. They lacked concentration and focus. Time and time again I see football matches where a slight disruption to the concentration of the game can cost a team the whole match. Unfortunately, this is one of those matches.

Mey
26-05-2005, 01:46
:(

i'm so sad... i cant even go to sleep.

DeMeTrIo
26-05-2005, 03:35
This is total Madness! I can't believe it!
BTW can a keeper move like a Monkey during the PK?
i tot Keeper should stand there.

sehnsucht79
26-05-2005, 03:38
He was moving like a monkey along the line so its ok. But yes he did break the rules by going 3 steps infront of the goal line

mange
26-05-2005, 05:35
There are no scapegoats, noone who should be sold or fired, no ref to blame on, there is nothing - just a big empty hole, which is consuming me... A nightmare that sticks eventhough I´m awake...

killiegradge
26-05-2005, 06:00
After the worst experience of my football watching life I really cant say what happened.obviously the team have not learned from deportivo.Although we played the best football,had the best players(Gerard excepted) and should have won Liverpool played as a team and thats what got them through.Having come back they were always on the up and we were deflated which is what gave them the positive going into the penalties.
Cant help thinking that we have had our pockets picked by the scousers!

Gabbarelli
26-05-2005, 06:42
As a neutral who watched the game, I would say Milan were by far the better team, if Sheva's free kick just after time had went in it would have went onto 5 or 6 nil.

Liverpool got a lucky break with their first goal (very poor goalkeeping from Dida), another fortunate goal from Smicer, again suspect goalkeeping. And a soft penatly. All in all 6 crazy minutes that makes football such an interesting game. Milan were shellshocked by this and it took until extra time until the players recovered from it.

If the game was played over Milan would beat Liverpool 9 times out of 10, it was mainly bad luck. Can't believe the first few posts berating Shevchenko, I thought he was by far the best player on the pitch and looked a class apart from the rest.

I haven't seen much of Milan in Serie A recently, but I would not be disheartened and demanding the break up a team that played with such skill for the majority of last night's match. In the first 45 minutes Milan showed why they are rated one of the best in Europe.

lolofernandez
26-05-2005, 07:30
EL MILÁN SE CONVIRTIÓ EN GALLINA


Es la primera vez que veo una Champions League que en los primeros cuarenta minutos ya tenía campeón: el Milán. Y es la primera vez también que veo que un equipo gana una Copa de Europa en quince minutos: fue el Liverpool. Se hablaba de dos defensas fortísimas en ambos equipos, según la Prensa, pero ayer fueron un colador por momentos. La mayoría de los goles vinieron por el centro, con jugadores descolocados, carreras sin sentido y pifias espantosas. Pero hay que ir a la realidad: sucedió lo que sucedió porque el jugador más importante que tiene el fútbol mundial últimamente se llama cagómetro, aunque a los futbolistas no les guste ni pizca esa palabra.

El Milán, con un 3-0 a favor, por personalidad, por apellido, por el dinero que ganan sus jugadores, no puede dejar escapar nunca un partido, ni siquiera de baloncesto. Desde hoy, ya hay nuevos Gallinas en el fútbol mundial: River por fin tiene un rival. Curiosamente, el Boca derrotó al Milán en la Intercontinental de hace dos años en la tanda y Shevchenko también erró su penalti. ¿Ven como el fútbol se reduce a xeneizes y millonarios? El resto no importa.

Lo que más vergüenza me dio como ex jugador de fútbol viendo el partido fue que durante la prórroga ninguno de los dos equipos quiso ganar. Y si cualquiera de los dos, al margen del cansancio, se lo hubiera propuesto, no hubiera habido penaltis. Luego, en la tanda, el miedo escénico aún subió algunos grados, sobre todo del lado italiano, aunque el Liverpool estaba también asustado. Gracias a un muñeco saltarín llamado Dudek (nunca jamás un portero, por Dios, no me confundan con tipos como éste), que burló las reglas con la permisividad de Mejuto, el trofeo quedó en manos de los ingleses y supongo que también del resacón con el que se levantarán hoy. Pues nada, a comprar acciones de Alkasetzer, que seguro que hoy suben.

Hugo orlando "El loco" gatti- famous goalie in argentina during the seventies

Well he says, the main point, that river got a new rival, AC Milan. Both of them are the chicken of world football. In some way is true though. I can only imagine Milan and river- my beloved teams- loosing in that fashion and ubber hurting way. No way Boca or Juve can win or loose, as a matter of fact, with class and fashion. Thats why they r gonna be Cagones per sempre

sehnsucht79
26-05-2005, 08:41
my thoughts exactly gabbarelli

Nadir
26-05-2005, 08:43
i didn't want to wake up this morning. not sure how a team lost a 3-0 lead , a 3-1 lead and 2-1 lead in three successive games.

Nadir
26-05-2005, 08:44
Diego Armando Maradona admits that he’s been left stunned by Milan’s loss to Liverpool in the Champions’ League Final.

The Rossoneri were in total control of the game before the Premiership outfit hit back in a way which the Napoli legend finds hard to believe.

"I’m very disappointed," he said after commentating on the game for Sky Italia. "Everyone who has played in Italy knows that the game is over at half-time when you’re 3-0 up.

"Not even the Brazil side of 1970 would have made such a comeback.

"We gave away a 2-0 lead in the 1986 World Cup Final against Germany but my Argentina side stayed united.

"Milan conceded three goals in an incredible manner, just as incredible as that Andriy Shevchenko chance in the closing minutes."

Liverpool may have lifted the trophy but the Argentine star has no doubts over who is the better team.

"Liverpool won it but they are not the best European side in my opinion," continued the South American.

"Milan just needed to play a little more football and they would have won the Cup. Unfortunately this is the game that football is."

heidi azalea
26-05-2005, 09:19
i didn't want to wake up this morning. not sure how a team lost a 3-0 lead , a 3-1 lead and 2-1 lead in three successive games.


:p146:
I turned up to be a crap and can't sleep until sunrise. Unconsolable until my mentor talked and smiled to me this morning. He got amazed how such a person like me can stay up from 2.30am and still staying sleepless at 11am with such a vitality I showed.
But the lack of sleep effected on me both on lunchtime and breakfast. It was really scary. I was really want to vomit after putting my meal to my mouth, if I was not having a lunchout with my mentor.
I'm keeping on agreement on Maradona's opinion.

sehnsucht79
26-05-2005, 09:37
I didnt want to wake up because I look like crap. I had around only 3 hours of sleep, and my eyes looked scary because it was spent on the computer all day. And thats just me. Imagine how a milanista would look like with the tears and everything :scared:

Nadir
26-05-2005, 09:41
i actually didn't cry. i cried after milan-ajax in 1995 but now i was more mad than sad. mad at the stupid !@#!@#! milan players who thought the game ended at 45 mins.

zlatanov
26-05-2005, 09:50
As a neutral who watched the game, I would say Milan were by far the better team, if Sheva's free kick just after time had went in it would have went onto 5 or 6 nil.

Liverpool got a lucky break with their first goal (very poor goalkeeping from Dida), another fortunate goal from Smicer, again suspect goalkeeping. And a soft penatly. All in all 6 crazy minutes that makes football such an interesting game. Milan were shellshocked by this and it took until extra time until the players recovered from it.

If the game was played over Milan would beat Liverpool 9 times out of 10, it was mainly bad luck. Can't believe the first few posts berating Shevchenko, I thought he was by far the best player on the pitch and looked a class apart from the rest.

I haven't seen much of Milan in Serie A recently, but I would not be disheartened and demanding the break up a team that played with such skill for the majority of last night's match. In the first 45 minutes Milan showed why they are rated one of the best in Europe.

Very good post. :cheers:

Billy_Montreal
26-05-2005, 09:55
i actually didn't cry. i cried after milan-ajax in 1995 but now i was more mad than sad. mad at the stupid !@#!@#! milan players who thought the game ended at 45 mins.

in all fairness I too thought the same way but then last night did something I really didn't want to..I re-watched the second half (since we are both in Canada Nadir you know that TSN and TLN replayed the game).
Milan actually started the second half stronger than Liverpool despite contrary belief. It was in the first 7 minutes that Sheva almost scored on his free kick. It was literally 7 minutes of madness...then Milan started playing again and in extra time controlled, dominated but did not score. Over all there is no question they dominated the game...

however, maybe someone can explain this to me:
On the second Liverpool goal I was surprised that Dida missed the long shot...obviously he did not clearly see it as two Liverpool players in a 'passive' offside position were hampering his view. however, one of those players Baros did an incredible job of hindering Dida's view (watch the replay) which is why the linesman called him offside (but the ref did not): this call is worse than the PK: how can anyone really say that he is NOT part of the action. That rule is ridiculous.
Anyhow, over all I too agree that it shoudl never have come to this but I believe the 7 minutes of 'hell' can be attributed to many factors such as 'lapse in concentration', 'perseverance by Liverpool' and 'calls going there way'. I don't blame the ref (don't get me wrong) however, it certainly is a contributing factor.
Whatever...

Xudong
26-05-2005, 09:57
i didn't want to wake up this morning. not sure how a team lost a 3-0 lead , a 3-1 lead and 2-1 lead in three successive games.


When we dropped from 3-0 to 3-3, I just felt so familiar. It took me a while recalling that happened in the game against Palermo, which is conceding 2 goals (this time 3 :() in just a spell of 2 or 3 minutes, one of them being a penalty awarded by the referee.

Nadir
26-05-2005, 10:02
in all fairness I too thought the same way but then last night did something I really didn't want to..I re-watched the second half (since we are both in Canada Nadir you know that TSN and TLN replayed the game).
Milan actually started the second half stronger than Liverpool despite contrary belief. It was in the first 7 minutes that Sheva almost scored on his free kick. It was literally 7 minutes of madness...then Milan started playing again and in extra time controlled, dominated but did not score. Over all there is no question they dominated the game...

however, maybe someone can explain this to me:
On the second Liverpool goal I was surprised that Dida missed the long shot...obviously he did not clearly see it as two Liverpool players in a 'passive' offside position were hampering his view. however, one of those players Baros did an incredible job of hindering Dida's view (watch the replay) which is why the linesman called him offside (but the ref did not): this call is worse than the PK: how can anyone really say that he is NOT part of the action. That rule is ridiculous.
Anyhow, over all I too agree that it shoudl never have come to this but I believe the 7 minutes of 'hell' can be attributed to many factors such as 'lapse in concentration', 'perseverance by Liverpool' and 'calls going there way'. I don't blame the ref (don't get me wrong) however, it certainly is a contributing factor.
Whatever...

i taped the game but didn't want to watch it again. i agree with the ref on the second goal. had the ball been passed to baros to score, then yes he was offside. it was a crowded box so baros probably wasn't intentionally blocking the view of the goalie. he just happened to be there. milan have scored goals similar to that so we cannot complain. what was bad was just PRIOR to the second goal, liverpool were offside and milan should have slowed the pace down on the resulting freekick.

i should have watched the TLN version instead of TSN because that #!@#! tommy smyth was so biased against milan. would love to :gun: him.

anyway, the season is over - the game is over. no amount of analysis will help now. we'll get it next year.

Xudong
26-05-2005, 10:11
in all fairness I too thought the same way but then last night did something I really didn't want to..I re-watched the second half (since we are both in Canada Nadir you know that TSN and TLN replayed the game).
Milan actually started the second half stronger than Liverpool despite contrary belief. It was in the first 7 minutes that Sheva almost scored on his free kick. It was literally 7 minutes of madness...then Milan started playing again and in extra time controlled, dominated but did not score. Over all there is no question they dominated the game...

however, maybe someone can explain this to me:
On the second Liverpool goal I was surprised that Dida missed the long shot...obviously he did not clearly see it as two Liverpool players in a 'passive' offside position were hampering his view. however, one of those players Baros did an incredible job of hindering Dida's view (watch the replay) which is why the linesman called him offside (but the ref did not): this call is worse than the PK: how can anyone really say that he is NOT part of the action. That rule is ridiculous.
Anyhow, over all I too agree that it shoudl never have come to this but I believe the 7 minutes of 'hell' can be attributed to many factors such as 'lapse in concentration', 'perseverance by Liverpool' and 'calls going there way'. I don't blame the ref (don't get me wrong) however, it certainly is a contributing factor.
Whatever...

I only watched the first half live, and I had to go to work. Fvck it. I still regret it, I thought we had no problem getting the cup already. I should not leave. :broken: I don't know whether I will ever watch it again. Probably at most watch the highlights and file it to a CD and leave it alone for good.

I actually heard about the controversy of second goal. Now that you described it so clearly, I guess I now know what happened. Can you say that it is more like the goal by Shevchenko two years ago, except that this one was more dubious? I wonder how a referee could ignore his assistant's decision. That bastard. Maybe he was biased. We should have fought to get him replaced. Now all is too late.

Xudong
26-05-2005, 10:15
i taped the game but didn't want to watch it again. i agree with the ref on the second goal. had the ball been passed to baros to score, then yes he was offside. it was a crowded box so baros probably wasn't intentionally blocking the view of the goalie. he just happened to be there. milan have scored goals similar to that so we cannot complain. what was bad was just PRIOR to the second goal, liverpool were offside and milan should have slowed the pace down on the resulting freekick.

i should have watched the TLN version instead of TSN because that #!@#! tommy smyth was so biased against milan. would love to :gun: him.

anyway, the season is over - the game is over. no amount of analysis will help now. we'll get it next year.

I hope you are right on that one. ;) This is the beauty of Champions League, we get more chances to play. In 1995, we lost to Ajax, and it took us a long 8 years finally getting back to where we belong. :pr115: I just can't bear to see that happening again.

Nadir
26-05-2005, 10:24
I hope you are right on that one. ;) This is the beauty of Champions League, we get more chances to play. In 1995, we lost to Ajax, and it took us a long 8 years finally getting back to where we belong. :pr115: I just can't bear to see that happening again.

it took us that long because
1) we were calling for an overhaul of the team like we are now and we changed coaches like 3-4 times back then. oscar washington tabarez, capello, sacchi, terim, zacheronni, cesare maldini, and finally we got ancelotti.
2) a lot of legends retired/left the team at that point and we got a lot of new kids who were hot shots and thought they were gods - like davids and reiziger. they were nothing when they came to milan and saw that the Serie A was nothing like the dutch league.

rae
26-05-2005, 10:47
:depress: :cry: :rollani: :lazy: :)

AC-GIOFFRE
26-05-2005, 10:50
Very disapointed. :angf:


Milan can not defend big leads. To name a few Deportivo 2004, Last week in serie A, Semi-Final PSV almost lost it.

We had bad luck and we controled most of the games except for those 6 minutes. :angf:

pirlo2004
26-05-2005, 11:52
can we just forget about tonight and learn from it. Talking about and discussing what happened should be left for a few days IMO. Everyone get a good night sleep if they can and tomorrow is a new season!

This is football, you take the rough with the smooth, 1 day for you and another against you, life goes on and Milan will always be Milan and we will all still be Milan supporters no matter what!

Lets get behind the team for next season so that they can paint a smile on our faces once more!
i agree with letting go but learning from it is total bull sh*t, you'd of thought they'd of learned when they had a 3 goal lead against Deportivo last season or the 2 goal lead they let slip against psv this season along with seri A.
I have to say i'm all but devastated with whats happened,
I feel like some1 has died i'm gutted.
When will Italians learn to defend or extend a lead, Milan have the best defence in the world and it got torn apart in 6 minutes by a very defensive minded Liverpool who have struggled in th EPL all season to score a single goal against aparrent weaker defences, and what was with bringing Crespo off, has Ancelotti finaly lost the plot?

pirlo2004
26-05-2005, 12:08
I'm also reading alot about a laps of concentration, how the hell can a team that expirienced lack concentration, they came out second half with their heads to big and thought they'd already won it.
Maybe this time they will learn the lesson but again after last year and the last few games who knows.

Gio-mania
26-05-2005, 12:35
poorly done by us, i bet berlusconi will open is wallet and sign gila and others,
so we get fresh faces, and both ancelloti and the players will want serious revenge.

i have feeling, that next year..........
we will either win the treble or a double.........
milan will beat all the records next season!!!!!!


FORZA MILAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

mly
26-05-2005, 12:40
It's 11:30 am and I'm still in my pj's. Had a horrible night, with recurrent scenes of horror(Gerrard lifting the cup, Dida's almost safe of the PK) I'm still in a shock for what happen yesterday. I hate this, but I had like this vision of how things were going to be after the half time, and it was exactly what happen. I knew that if we wouldn't score a 4, it wasn't safe.
Though, I don't blame no one, nor the overconfidence stuff(I can't blame them, 98% of the people who were living and watching this game thought there was no way that Liverpool could bounce back). To tell you the truth I saw overconfidence in the games against Deportivo and PSV, not yesterday.
I can't believe that those "black out" moments I have been getting recently, could happen to 11 men on a field. It was just 6 horrible minutes. Before that we dominated, after that we got better, and more after that we dominated again. It was 114 minutes of good Milan playing and 6 minutes of Liverpool.
Strange, I'm not angry, I'm just a bit sad. Each time I remember the game, I'm more convinced that it was fate(Dudeck usually sucks, and he made a mighty all save over Sheva; Dida save the PK but couldn't keep the ball; Ambro got injured; Sheva missing the PK; Liverpool finally winning something and Michael Owen is no longer there). #7 has to wait.
Things have to be re orginized this summer, good younger players, saying good-bye to someone's...
But the important thing is that no matter what: FORZA MILAN!!!!!!!!!! :sagrin:

Gemma
26-05-2005, 13:06
if he subbed sheva, he would be shot by berlusconi, the milan mafia, this forum and galliani would hire a hitman to assasinate carlo.

I for one would not have hired the hitman had he subsitituted sheva, crespo would have been much more useful to us!

Soccermad
26-05-2005, 14:01
There is a rule that says that an attacker is offside if there is no defender from the opposing team between him and the goal line when the ball is passed to him, from his teammates. Also the attacker has to actually touch the ball for him to be called off side by the referee. Baros was clearly on offside position when the second goal came but he did not touch the ball.
Also we Milan fans are clearly frustrated by the fact that the referee gave a penaty when Gerrard fell into the box. The defender barely touched his arm!!!
But it all depends on the referee jugement. Also there was another action where Nesta tackled Garcia/Alonso (cannot remember have to watch the replays), he missed the ball, and the the attacker pushed the ball on his hand(that was a hand ball I was there!!!), and the referee did not give the penalty because 'it was not intentional'. Depends again on who is the official! Another one might have given. But Nesta's hand didn't go 'for the ball'. So let us not blame the referee, call it even: one penalty given one not given, favor on each side.

mk18
26-05-2005, 15:08
nonononono ... im sorry...

1) about the 2nd goal, that attacker doesnt have to touch the ball... if he ruins the view of the GK while being offside or if hes just very close to it then its offside

2) nestas handball was clearly unintentional for him to try and prevent that handball hed have to cut it off and he even tried to take it out the way

3) that was a dive by gerrard

4) hypia shouldve been sent off... the rule says if ur the last man and u foul a player to stop a 1-on-1 situation with the GK ur a$$ is outta here... hyppia did just that and he was clearly the last man... red card

5) the pirlo PK shouldve been repeated ... i dont care if some of u think the game was already over for us, rules are rules, when u make the save on the PK spot (exaggeration) then somethings wrong

ZBoban
26-05-2005, 17:05
I'm gonna be so depressed for a long time. It's gonna take me a while to get over this one...atleast until next years CL starts. I would have prefered losing 3-0 than losing thae way they did. I'm disgusted...I swear I'm not leaving the house for atleast a week. They seriously have a problem with defending leads...and I think it's psychological.