PDA

View Full Version : My website's new look


Hasan Rossonero
13-08-2005, 18:23
Hey guys as you can probably tell from my signature, I created, run and maintain a website.

Recently, I have altered the look of it. Please take a look. I would especially like to know what Warro, Matnat, Khris, Kui, zlatanov, hitmanqq, etc. think of it since I have a rapport with this crew.

Any feedback is appreciated. There is also a literature review section, something which I feel distinguishes the site from the commonplace.

All your views are greatly appreciated and you guys should try participating in my Champions League fantasy game.

Let me know what you think: www.totalsoccer.ca

Cheers!

MATNAT
13-08-2005, 19:41
first impressions.. the layout and graphics look smooooooooooooooth..

nice

wheres your fantasy league game?

Nadir
13-08-2005, 21:38
pretty wikkid. i like it but i would reduce the amount of blank space on the left - reason being, it looks too bloggy as in , someone's blog. other than that, brilliant work. constructive criticism good no? ;)

Hasan Rossonero
13-08-2005, 22:47
pretty wikkid. i like it but i would reduce the amount of blank space on the left - reason being, it looks too bloggy as in , someone's blog. other than that, brilliant work. constructive criticism good no? ;)

for sure bro...thanks....Yes I a agree there is too much space on the left
i will try to see how to solve that problem.

Matnat: the fantasy league will start once the Champions League will. I will let you guys know when to submit the teams....

ACMILAN1983
14-08-2005, 07:18
Hasan that is a decent site and clearly well maintained. I agree with Nadir, that the sides could use a little more info or something to fill up the spaces left, though I like the fact you left borders in case of resolution differences.

Also, do you happen to work as a web designer or study in computing/computer science?

The reason I ask is the website is well structured and the code (I looked briefly at the source code, hope you don't mind) has been layed out (formatted) in a formal way. It was nice to see that you layed everything out in tables and such rather than going for the outdated method of frames, which is definately a good idea. I have been told that new methods of development are being introduced in web design, but I don't know of them yet. Jim was the one who told me, so perhaps he'll know more.

An idea could be to place the menu along the top (in the space between the banner and main page) which would allow more space around the sides, thus letting you stretch out the main panel a little to prevent having lots of scrolling on the pages. However, this is a very rough idea and I haven't thought it out too much, so make sure to think about it before actually considering doing it, lol.

Anyway, its coming along quite nicely :)

Hasan Rossonero
14-08-2005, 07:42
Hasan that is a decent site and clearly well maintained. I agree with Nadir, that the sides could use a little more info or something to fill up the spaces left, though I like the fact you left borders in case of resolution differences.

Also, do you happen to work as a web designer or study in computing/computer science?

The reason I ask is the website is well structured and the code (I looked briefly at the source code, hope you don't mind) has been layed out (formatted) in a formal way. It was nice to see that you layed everything out in tables and such rather than going for the outdated method of frames, which is definately a good idea. I have been told that new methods of development are being introduced in web design, but I don't know of them yet. Jim was the one who told me, so perhaps he'll know more.

An idea could be to place the menu along the top (in the space between the banner and main page) which would allow more space around the sides, thus letting you stretch out the main panel a little to prevent having lots of scrolling on the pages. However, this is a very rough idea and I haven't thought it out too much, so make sure to think about it before actually considering doing it, lol.

Anyway, its coming along quite nicely :)

Hey man, cheers for the advice.

Yes I have a degree in computer science and I work as a software developer. I have a degree in English literature too so I decided to merge the two passions together.

Anyway, your points are well taken. I will definitely look into making those changes and always feel free to look at the code :grinser:

Kui
14-08-2005, 09:40
I like the new improvements. While you have had constructive comments asking you to fill up the site with more info, me personally I like a site that doesnt look too busy. But hey you guys are the experts in webpage designing. I like the cleanliness of the site you have. I guess my advice to you would be too take Devs and Nadir's advice but dont make it look like it is too busy/messy. Know what I mean.
Good Job!
Forza TOTALSOCCER!

ACMILAN1983
14-08-2005, 10:33
haha, Hasan your more qualified then me at this then, seeing as I'm coming into my final year this year. ;)

Kui makes a good point, making the site clear is of great importance. Basically, I think the basic rule always applies (think of the user). From what I've been taught, blank spaces aren't great and its good to fill them up. However, even though the site will be busy, its important not to fall into the trap of making it cluttered, both two different things altogether.

Reza
14-08-2005, 11:08
I prefer clean, easy to read ones like yours to any sort of clutter, even if it means some blank space. It is preferable to a bunch betting ads and myriad of links and sections on most sites.
I also do web sites and in my opinion it looks really good. You can make it even more standards compliant with use of cascading style sheets instead of tables.

ariel
14-08-2005, 11:22
Looking good Hasan.I would`ve preferred red and black layout though ;) But i`m not an expert(computerwise) so it`s all pretty much the same to me.Well written articles indeed.
P.S.
degree in english literature?you`ve got a `colleague` here,i`m about to start my last year,i study english language and literature too:)

Hasan Rossonero
14-08-2005, 14:18
Thanks rezag, kui and ariel. I guess I will decide in the next few days on how to proceed.

Ariel: what kind of lit do you guys focus on in Serbia? I am very curious as to what is the curriculum there. In Canada it is primarily British lit but very recently there has been a novel interest in post-colonial thought.

It is a fledgling field but has its proponents/stars like Edward Said, Rushdie and even Chomsky.

I try to do my best writing in the Discussions section and I would love to hear from all you guys.

I also have my own column on www.livesoccertv.com/blog

ACMILAN1983
14-08-2005, 15:44
I prefer clean, easy to read ones like yours to any sort of clutter, even if it means some blank space. It is preferable to a bunch betting ads and myriad of links and sections on most sites.
I also do web sites and in my opinion it looks really good. You can make it even more standards compliant with use of cascading style sheets instead of tables.

oh, actually, that is the more up to date method of development that Jim mentioned to me. I know about css and have used it before, but doesn't it reduce flexibility in development of the web page, as you only have singular styles to use, unless you create many different css files which will defeat many objectives of css?

Hasan, I think you might be able to get ideas from a website developed as a part of a group project at my uni last year. Pesonally, I think its a very good website which is very, very simple and easy to use, but rarely leaves unnecessary spaces. Its got a very simple interface and structure and is uses many modern techniques (including css). I think its a good point of reference for deveopment tips tbh. Probably worth noting that IBM were also quite fond of the development of this site. The link is http://www.group-project.co.uk/ :)

Reza
14-08-2005, 17:02
The reason css might not allow the maximum amount of flexibility at all is because browsers (especially IE) don't fully support (or support but with bugs) its features.
Probably the main problem right now with css is positioning text and page elements (as one does using tables). I mean coding pages that are rendered exactly the same using any OS and browser.
With full browser support css pages are lighter and easier to manipulate.

ariel
14-08-2005, 18:09
Ariel: what kind of lit do you guys focus on in Serbia? I am very curious as to what is the curriculum there. In Canada it is primarily British lit but very recently there has been a novel interest in post-colonial thought.



I didn`t want to bug people here with it so i sent you a brief pm about how English literature studies look like in Serbia.:)

ACMILAN1983
15-08-2005, 10:18
The reason css might not allow the maximum amount of flexibility at all is because browsers (especially IE) don't fully support (or support but with bugs) its features.
Probably the main problem right now with css is positioning text and page elements (as one does using tables). I mean coding pages that are rendered exactly the same using any OS and browser.
With full browser support css pages are lighter and easier to manipulate.

Thanks for the info Reza. hmm, I actually have to develop a site as part of my final year project, so I'll probably be looking into css anyway.

Dragana, I doubt your bugging anyone here by talking about literature, certainly not me anyway. :D

egyptian
23-08-2005, 00:53
It Is Gr8 Realy

Hasan Rossonero
12-09-2005, 06:57
first impressions.. the layout and graphics look smooooooooooooooth..

nice

wheres your fantasy league game?

The Fantasy Champions League game is now up:

www.totalsoccer.ca/champions/cl_game.htm