Nadir
15-09-2005, 15:27
LOL. This is hilarious
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4249646.stm
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1942332005
Condie, can I go to the bathroom?
ALAN RODEN
TENSIONS were running high as the world's most powerful men and women discussed international security and the future of the United Nations.
At the high-pressure meeting, President George W Bush sat stern faced, surrounded by top diplomats and the largest gathering of world leaders in history.
The US President, an outspoken critic of the UN in recent years, picked up his pencil and wrote a short note to his Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Around him, the UN delegation wondered what secrets he was passing to his most trusted advisor.
But the most pressing matter on the President's mind was nothing to do with international security - he was desperate for the toilet.
"I think I may need a bathroom break. Is this possible?" he wrote. A photographer with a high-powered zoom managed to capture the moment during yesterday's UN Security Council meeting, which was held to discuss threats to international peace and security.
It was part of the three-day UN world summit, taking place at its New York base. Prime Minister Tony Blair and dozens of other world leaders are in attendance.
President Bush, who once admitted "this foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating", has joined the debate to explore ways to revitalise the UN following a damaging few years, highlighted by the disagreement between nations over the Iraq war.
Politicians in Scotland today sympathised with the President's predicament, and said they too had been left short during lengthy - and often boring - meetings.
Tory MSP Brian Monteith said: "I've been telling people for years that George Bush is human and not some alien or automaton, but no-one would listen. I know how he feels, there are times in these big meetings when all eyes are on you and yet below your cheery smile you are bursting.
"When you are under the lights and have an important speech to make it's easy to drink all the water and then regret it."
Lothians MSP Margo MacDonald added: "It happens to the best of us. When I am in the Scottish Parliament chamber, I often feel the need to sit for the entire debate. It's only courteous to listen to what everyone has to say, although I often find myself desperate to say something but too scared to stand up in case I regret it."
Politicians can often be spotted scribbling furiously during lengthy meetings, and President Bush isn't the only world leader to have his notes analysed.
In January, a sheet of doodles sparked a debate on the state of Tony Blair's mind, even though it turned out the note was created by the Microsoft tycoon Bill Gates. The notes were found on the Prime Minister's desk following a meeting in Switzerland, alongside Mr Gates and U2 singer Bono.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4249646.stm
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1942332005
Condie, can I go to the bathroom?
ALAN RODEN
TENSIONS were running high as the world's most powerful men and women discussed international security and the future of the United Nations.
At the high-pressure meeting, President George W Bush sat stern faced, surrounded by top diplomats and the largest gathering of world leaders in history.
The US President, an outspoken critic of the UN in recent years, picked up his pencil and wrote a short note to his Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Around him, the UN delegation wondered what secrets he was passing to his most trusted advisor.
But the most pressing matter on the President's mind was nothing to do with international security - he was desperate for the toilet.
"I think I may need a bathroom break. Is this possible?" he wrote. A photographer with a high-powered zoom managed to capture the moment during yesterday's UN Security Council meeting, which was held to discuss threats to international peace and security.
It was part of the three-day UN world summit, taking place at its New York base. Prime Minister Tony Blair and dozens of other world leaders are in attendance.
President Bush, who once admitted "this foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating", has joined the debate to explore ways to revitalise the UN following a damaging few years, highlighted by the disagreement between nations over the Iraq war.
Politicians in Scotland today sympathised with the President's predicament, and said they too had been left short during lengthy - and often boring - meetings.
Tory MSP Brian Monteith said: "I've been telling people for years that George Bush is human and not some alien or automaton, but no-one would listen. I know how he feels, there are times in these big meetings when all eyes are on you and yet below your cheery smile you are bursting.
"When you are under the lights and have an important speech to make it's easy to drink all the water and then regret it."
Lothians MSP Margo MacDonald added: "It happens to the best of us. When I am in the Scottish Parliament chamber, I often feel the need to sit for the entire debate. It's only courteous to listen to what everyone has to say, although I often find myself desperate to say something but too scared to stand up in case I regret it."
Politicians can often be spotted scribbling furiously during lengthy meetings, and President Bush isn't the only world leader to have his notes analysed.
In January, a sheet of doodles sparked a debate on the state of Tony Blair's mind, even though it turned out the note was created by the Microsoft tycoon Bill Gates. The notes were found on the Prime Minister's desk following a meeting in Switzerland, alongside Mr Gates and U2 singer Bono.