PDA

View Full Version : Sacchi vs Capello


Tony29.
10-07-2007, 16:27
I'm almost sure there is a similar thread. I tried but i can't find it.

I was reading an article about a list world soccer made and i saw Milan of Sacchi as the 4th best team of all time while Capello's Milan wasn't even among top 20.

I still remember both these teams perfectly and i still wonder why is Sacchi Milan so much respected while the Milan of Capello is so much underrated.

Yeah, the Milan of Arrigo Sacchi was really a great team with MvB, Gullit, Rijkaard, Donadoni.
But honestly, they weren't as dominant as the early/mid 90's Milan.

Sacchi won the scudetto in 1988, with only 3 points more than Napoli. The next year , 1988, he won the 3rd place, 11 points behind the dominant Inter of 1988/89.
In 1990 he won the 2nd place, only 2pts behind Napoli, while in 1991 Sampdoria easily won the scudetto and Milan finished 2nd.
As you can see, Milan under Sacchi wasn't dominant at all in Italy, far from that. They did play good football and had master MvB up front but in Italy they won only 1 scudetto in 4 years.

Of course, Sacchi was the one who brought 2 CL's to Milan in 4 years and probably that's why people rate this Milan so high ( but didn't Ancelotti make a similar success, even greater success i'd say, in Europe ? ).
Indeed, in 1989 Milan was really dominant in the semis and the finals, humiliating Real Madrid and Benfica, but in 1989/90 we didn't witness the exciting football of the previous year. Actually, it was the oposite. Milan was struggling in every single round and they needed extra time to eliminate their opponents.

But Capello's Milan...ahhh, the best team i saw in my life, the best by far.
Won the scudetto in 1992, 1993 and 1994. And he didn't only win it, but he was winning it with style. In 1992 he finished undefeated, an all time record in serie A, leaving Juve far behind. In 1993 he won another league, easily, in front of Inter, while in 1994 he won the league really easy, eventhough the difference between Milan and Juve was only 3 points ( Milan secured the tittle much earlier and won only 4 points in last 6 rounds)
He lost the league in 1995 to Juve but he won it back in 1996.
To sumirize : Fabbio Capello brought 4 scudetti in 5 years to Milan.

In Europe he didn't win 2 Champions League's like Sacchi, but he did win it once and he did take Milan to 3 CL finals in a row. Hardly a bad record. And lets not forget.... he also won a CL final 4:0, but he didn't beat Steaua. Nope, he won it against the galacticos from Barcelona.

Sacchi vs Capello ?

My vote goes to don Fabbio !

Giorgos
10-07-2007, 16:41
To say the truth i haven't seen Sacchi's team because i am 26, but i was delighted by the one of Capello just why i vote for them.

Ghost
10-07-2007, 17:17
When I look at the players that were used by these managers then it must be said that Sacchis team was superior, however this matters on the amount of silverwear a team wins, not what super players you have playing for you.

Sacchis era was more or less around the same time as I was born so I cant say much about how good his team was, but after watching some old tapes I can say there were an immense team. But when you compare the trophies they won against Fabios team you cannot even compare them. To be honest even Carlo has an equal or a better record than Sacchi when it comes to trophies, 1 Scudetto and 2 CL with another CL final.

Personally I think all of the managers should be respected because before Sacchi (When Berlu purchased Milan) the team was not that great and Sacchi brought life to the Milan team, then Fabio carried on the cycle. So my opinion is that they should all be respected because without Sacchi I dont think Fabio would of been a success.

SANT
10-07-2007, 17:50
Tony,

maybe something that helps Sacchi is that Milan had not been doing good during the previous years (a bunch of them actually) and he brought it back to life to start the Berlusconi era...

also, that he was so schematic... rigid sometimes, but ultimately a "chess" player of calcio... in years were everybody still acused Italian calcio of being "catenaccio"

Capello, although we know he's not Tele' Santana, as example of offensive football, gave the team more light, a bit more freedom... I remember there was a game (sorry I don't remember date or rival) against one of the smaller teams when the ball never touched the Milan goal line... not even missed shots...

We need to start making space to Ancelotti in this list... the achievements of this Milan since he's in charge are remarkable, despite those guys saying "One scudetto in X years"...

SkyEdge
10-07-2007, 21:24
Sacchi's Milan was the Beginning of the Capello's all Dominating Milan..
Capello was building on the foundation of the Sacchi's team.. Sacchi can
be said to have *Kick Started* the winning cycle..

Not that I would like to Discredit Capello though, he didn't just win trophies.
He did it as how Berlusconi loved it.. The Brazilian way.. to simply put it, he
did it in Style.. the football that was dished out by Capello's team was purely
eye candy.. In a way, its like how Barcelona was playing 2 seasons ago.. but
on a more consistent basis (Read: More than 1 season!)

Jasper
11-07-2007, 05:05
I'm almost sure there is a similar thread. I tried but i can't find it.


Found this (http://www.milanmania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18374) as well as THIS (http://www.milanmania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=282393#post282393). :bri:

Jasper
11-07-2007, 19:32
Not that I would like to Discredit Capello though, he didn't just win trophies.
He did it as how Berlusconi loved it.. The Brazilian way.. to simply put it, he
did it in Style.. the football that was dished out by Capello's team was purely
eye candy.. In a way, its like how Barcelona was playing 2 seasons ago.. but
on a more consistent basis (Read: More than 1 season!)
You mean the eye-candy of scoring 36 goals in 34 matches? I think you don't know what you're talking about or mixing Sacchi with Capello.

TBH I didn't have the privilege to see these two teams so my vote was solely based on what I read. And when they write about Sacchi's Milan it's always clear who was the best team in the world that time(in which they already believed ruling Europe is almost impossible). Though Capello's team earned the name Gli Invincibles somehow Cruyff's Barcelona seems to be more praised. Maybe because they played the more attractive football.

humanTORCH
11-07-2007, 19:34
Sacchi milan was the greatest. The type of football he imposed was something new and exciting to the football world. Read my signature....hhehe
It's the start of a great era for milan and still is.

Tony29.
11-07-2007, 20:47
You mean the eye-candy of scoring 36 goals in 34 matches? I think you don't know what you're talking about or mixing Sacchi with Capello.

He's right and you're wrong in this case.
Capello's Milan played much more attractive football than Sacchi's Milan. You took only one season as an example but you know, that was the same season when Milan was outclassing the opponents in CL and has beaten Barcelona 4:0.

Just for comparisson, this is how many goals Sacchi and Capello's Milan were scoring in Serie A

Sacchi :
1987/88 : 43
1988/89 : 61
1989/90 : 56
1990/91 : 46

Capello :
1991/92 : 74
1992/93 : 65
1993/94 : 36
1994/95 : 53

Only in his 3rd season Capello was worse than Sacchi
In Europe in 3 seasons Sachhi's Milan scored 34 goals while in 3 seasons Capello's Milan scored 35 goals.
Ok, Capello had more technical players and that was the main reason why his team was more attractive, but it shouldn't matter how and why was it more attractive, the fact is it was more attractive and his team was more consistant than Sacchi's.

Sacchi is getting a lot of credit for Milan's early success. He probably had a large influence but in his time Berlu was so enthusiastic and fired up that he was making world record transfers and buying all the best players in Europe. Sacchi's role was certanly big because it certanly wasn't easy to make all those stars work like a unit but i think that many coaches would have done what he did with the players he had.
Capello also depended a lot on Berlu's money and most of the players he had were left from Sacchi's time, but his tactics, his way of football were very much different than Sacchi's that it looked like it's a brand new team.

And i guess their career record speaks for itself. What did Sacchi do after Milan and what did Capello do.
Sacchi took over Italy and did take them to a WC final ( you may say this, although if it was up to Sacchi Italy would have been eliminated early in the groups. His tactics almost ruined Italy and they passed the groups as 3rd placed. It was all Roby Baggio who did everything) but he also failed to qualify Italy for Euro 1992 and was eliminated in groups stage in 1996. With Atletiko he finished 13th in Spain while Parma in 2001 was a huge failure.
Capello's record is well known. Won trophies wherever he went.

Tactically Capello was better than Sacchi. He didn't have MvB, Gullit, Rijkaard (except in his 1st season and few matches in his 2nd) but he still did better with much cheaper players like Savicevic, Desailly, Boban etc who became huge stars exactly under Capello.
Capello from Milan was a different man compared to Capello from Juve and Real.

Sacchi's Milan was great but too much hyped because it was the first great Milan. His successor was better and it's Capello's Milan that should have been , maybe not all time best, but all-time second best team in the world.

Jasper
12-07-2007, 06:51
He's right and you're wrong in this case.
Well, I knew I might have been wrong but comparing two like that is not good proof if you'd ask me. Why? Because Capello's Juve also scored the sh!t out of Serie A but never was considered a beautiful brazilian attacking team. On the other hand I can't recall an attacking team with such a low scoring rate. I do know that Gli Invincibili had a record of scoring the most in fisrt 5 games so therefore I see another spot where this goal scoring rate might be manipulated(scoring most of the goals in a few matches against weaker sides with suicide tactics). But as said you might be right(probably are).

I had to look into myself and think why I have such a point of view and it might be that I remember a fact that before CL final versus Barcelona Cruyff took a picture with one magazine which compared them good and us bad of football. Therefore I might have made a wrong conclusion Bad of football + Capello + 36 goals in 34 games = nowadays catenaccio side that hit the jackpot at the final.

But I'm really interested in any sort of articles to educate myself on the matter. I doubt I'll change my view on which side was better as I've read many articles hailing Sacchi, but at least I could get the picture better when it comes to Gli Invincibili.

Had one atricle in my computer abut Gli Immortali

...at the Nou Camp, in Barcelona, where the boys accompagnied by the biggest movement of fans, not only in the history of football, but of all sports with a massive 90, 000 fans going to Barcelona by all means, (plane, train, bus, cars, motorcycles, boat, etc..) to see Milan destroy Steaua Bucarest, 4-0 in an incredible and monumental performance. That performance was acclaimed worldwide and the biggest acclaim came from France's leading daily sports paper, L'Equipe, the next day with this comment:"We knew the game of football, before yesterday. We have just witnessed and discovered the football of Milan, a football that will change the face of this game in the future. A team of Extraterrestrials."