View Full Version : Is it just me?
Was happenin Rossoneri fans international, is it just me who seems to thing the main milan problem is.......OUR DEFENCE, do you all not seem to think that milan is in a defensive crisis, we have legends and greats but there all old, our youngest (which we use as a standard) defeneder is NESTA! and hes 29! i think our midfield is great, our forward is not so bad with ronaldo (and the dissapointing) gila, however our defense i think is catastrophic.
What do you milan fans think??
I think its just you.
Nesta is 31, not 29. Kaladze is 29. Bonera is our youngest defender at 26.
And no, we are not in a defensive crisis. We could use an improvement at LB, I don't trust Janku, but other than that I think we're set. Man U thought they would rip us oldies apart ;)
We have
Oddo-Nesta-Kaladze-Janku as the starters.
Cafu-Maldini/Simic-Bonera-Favalli/Serginho as the backups.
It may be up there in age, but the quality is definitely there.
Maldini+Nesta
29-07-2007, 18:09
I think its just you.
Nesta is 31, not 29. Kaladze is 29. Bonera is our youngest defender at 26.
And no, we are not in a defensive crisis. We could use an improvement at LB, I don't trust Janku, but other than that I think we're set. Man U thought they would rip us oldies apart ;)
We have
Oddo-Nesta-Kaladze-Janku as the starters.
Cafu-Maldini/Simic-Bonera-Favalli/Serginho as the backups.
It may be up there in age, but the quality is definitely there.
I'm in agreement. I see our defense lasting anothe few yrs. scoring goals is Milan's biggest issue.... :sweeteye:
Exactly, I don't see a defensive problem if everyone is healthy though.
Nesta is in my eyes the best defender in the world and if he stays healthy then we have our rock in the defence. Kaladze is very solid and good enough to be a starter in any team in Europe however he has to stay healthy as well as him and Nesta have always been injury prone. Bonera I think was one of our best defenders last year and I don't see why we shouldn't place our trust in him. He has been rock solid and if he continues like that we have another rock in defence for years to come. Oddo is looking more and more comfortable on the right while Maldini will always be Maldini ;while in my eyes Simic has always been a great squad player and other teams would love to have him on the bench to step in whenever someone needs a rest.
The only thing that we might have to look at for the back is a replacement for Cafu; who is actually Oddo's sub, so possibly a young player that can grow into owning that position after Oddo who still comfortably has at least 2-3 great years in front of him.
The left side is probably the weakest link of that defence with Jankulovski not being the most solid of defenders while Serginho is groiwing older and has had a very serious injury from which he is yet to play a full solid game.
So to conclude, like Vadim and Maldini+Nesta I don't see a big problem in the defence unless something horrible happens and we lose a few players like this past year :1avs:
hitmannq8
29-07-2007, 23:58
Nah I dont see any urgencies, but after Milan had a starting lineup of Cafu-Stam-Nesta-Maldini a few seasons ago, I think we can do better than Kaladze and Jankulovski. Jankulovski definitely is a useful player, but as a squad member not as a starter.
But if we did not sign Chivu when he was available then we shouldn't expect any reinforcements in defence.
Maurizio
30-07-2007, 00:12
Our defense is old but strong.
kaladze is a better player than Chivu. IMO Nesta & Kaladze will be our 1st choice CB pairing. Oddo on right, and unfortunatley prob Janku, although Serginho is better.
Madrid were looking to offload Marcelo. Could he be our non-Eu signing?
are you lot off your bananas? kaladze is betta then chivu??? wat the hell are you smoking???? the only world class defender in milan at the moment is NESTA, kaladze is really good...NOT GREAT OR LEGENDARY, Oddo oh please he doesnt compaire to other RB's, and do you know why we use serginho or janku in LB....BECAUSE WE HAVE NO1. serginho is left winger if not left attach midfielder, janku started as midfielder. our defence is in serious crisis, compair our defense to the roma or inter defence. I LOVE MILAN its true but i realise whats wrong with it, im not ignorant to ignore the problems we have, Oddo is good NOT WORLD CLASS OR MILAN MATERIAL (however very good) nesta-no comment no1 will ever be born to play as he does, kaladze-simic=also good players but for the likes of lazio or roma not MILAN, serginho - janku : we're savaging players we can to use in possitions they are not adapted to well. wake up and realise the actual faults of our team guys, dnt be stubborn about it. i think we betta spend some money on some actual defensive potential not a stricker we have KAKA, R99 and the two athletic pool diver..ops i mean strickers pippo and gila. wake up realise the fault and admit it, i love milan as much if not more than any1 else here to comment on milan so dont talk down to me as if i dont know what the hell im talking about, inter beat us TWICE LAST SEASON they took 6 points away from us, thats embarrasing, and any1 willing to make the boohoohoo ''we had 8 points taken away from us we had bad motivation and moral'' bullsht how do u explain INTER getting away 30+ points and LAZIO FINISHING ABOVE US, 8 points aint a massive blow. i think we need to start blaming our defence and butterfingered dida,
ALSO yes dida WAS great, no1 was betta not buffon not any1, HOWEVER IF you where to place me in milan when cafu, nesta stam and maldini where younger EVEN I WOULD BE A GOOD KEEPER because of the unstoppable defence, remember the game against FULLHAM!
BACK TO THE POINT if you calculate our whole first teams avarage age, its 30 due to the defence, the midfield aint bad at all, actually its club cup winners with pirlo, gatt, gourcuff, seedorf and RICK KAKA (who should be played fwrd) and our strikers also world class r99 pippo (great goal poacher poor striker...i love him ONLY for the goals he scores nothing ore nothing lesss) hes not a great player hes just at the right place at the right time, amazing finisher however him and gila are dirty players for diving. and also dont forget the number of goals lost in the past due to pippos offsides, he is the offside king.
I STATE FACTS im MILAN FAN to the death so no1 try and give me the rubbish that im not really a milan fan or whatever, no1 can take milan away no matta what a few admins or whoever says or does, i love milan, i love ancelotti (now soon to be the greatest milan manager of all time) but i WORRY for the team i love so i open my eyes and realise we need fresh blood infront of our goalie.
Who accused you of not being a Milan fan? You need to relax, just because people disagree with you, it is not an insult.
I STATE FACTS im MILAN FAN to the death so no1 try and give me the bull**** that im not really a milan fan or whatever, no1 can take milan away no matta what a few admins or whoever says or does, i love milan, i love ancelotti (now soon to be the greatest milan manager of all time) but i WORRY for the team i love so i open my eyes and realise we need fresh blood infront of our goalie.
1. - Welcome to MM
2. - Read the site and realize that here we don't express our ideas the way you're doing. Just seeing that your words are replaced with (****) signs should help you figure it out.
3. - If you can live with this and adjust, you will enjoy it here... if not, good luck somewhere else.
4. - About the topic, NO, we're not at defensive crisis... remember we just won the UCL with this defense... read Galliani's statement today on the official website about "summer transfer anxiety".
hitmannq8
01-08-2007, 01:01
I agree with you donii about the defence. Unfortunately our management do not. I dont understand why not, we certainly have the money, and there are good players that are available and CAN make a difference like Alex, Chivu, Barzagli but we chose to keep Kaladze/Simic and co. I think they are keeping them because of this so-called Milan family. Indeed it is a good thing but when push comes to shove, they have to start acting different just like what they did with a Milan legend - Demetrio Albertini. I hope we get world-class defenders, but I dont see it happening. But about Dida I disagree with you, I hope he stays as long as possible.
I also am starting to wonder, why are Milan so tight on their money in recent years.. I mean can anyone remind me when has Milan spent a big sum on a player (and I dont mean Berlusconi). In recent years the biggest transfers were Gilardino, Rui Costa, Pippo, Nesta but they all seemed to come as "gifts" from Berlusconi. I can't remember the last time Milan spent quite a sum on a player. I may be mistaken, so someone please remind me.
Milan won the CL twice and lost the final once and semi's once. I really wonder where all this money is going to? Milan also has alot of stars that sell shirts. I am 100% sure that Milan are getting in alot more money than most of the clubs around, but why aren't we seeing it? Someone a few months ago speculated that Milan is suffering in the market because they are trying to save money for a stadium. What do ya'all think?
Rayno_acm
01-08-2007, 04:22
I think it's just you. :rolleyes:
You have some fair points, but you're wrong for a lot of things.
1) Do not use last season in Serie A like any serious example. There was nothing normal in its beginnig so it's not that big suprice what the standing came out. And what about Lazio finishing above us, we could easily finish above them, but in the last month of the season we prefered to save our strenght for the CL.
2) Serginho was bought in 1999 like LB, not like a winger. Well, he became a winger after that, becouse he had the qualities for that. You know, Alberto Zacceroni (and after him Fatih Terim) used wingers.
3) What about the aging players...Well, if the cost to pay for keeping the Milan family tight, is to keep players (who are not the best, but still good), Galiani and Co are saying "Yes", they are ready to pay it. And there's nothing anyone else could do.
Like Dru says: "Milan is a rose, Love even the thorns :5love: "
:w200: :rone:
its just u... until we pick some injuries and averyone else realizes it. I dont expect maldini to play much and if nesta is carried off the field we'll end up with kaladze, simic and bonera for back line. Did i forget Ba? :D Splendid backline for 3 competitions at once. Just wish i am wrong and i wont be using the ''i told u so'' sentence since there will be harder to find excuses than last year.
Kaladze is hands down better than Chivu. Chivu crumpled like wet paper vs Man U 7-1. Kaladze was a rock for us at home 3-0. Best eastern european at the moment. Better than Samuel, Cordoba, Chivu, Materazzi. Immense player, just injured alot recently.
No doubt we need changes, but for players like Favali, Simic, Janku, Cafu. not for Kala, Nesta, Bonera, Oddo.
hany.Egypt
01-08-2007, 07:06
saying that Kaladze is better than Chivu just because of one match, is not fair at all, Chivu is a rock while Kaladze is just solid and he is older than Chivu as well.
As for our defense, its not exactly a crisis a back line with Nesta on it is no doubt pretty solid, however, I have to say that our defense is much weaker compared to what it used to be in the past I mean with Nesta,Maladini,Stam,Cafu and Dida when was in form plus some off them cant play regularly as they used to do(Maladini), and others get injured alot(Nesta and probably Kaladze).
So we can say that our defense is pretty solid when all the players are fit to play but when one of them get injured which happens alot, we fine our selves in a crisis and if we bought any good defender(like Zambrotta or Chilleni) then we are done.
And again do misunderstand me our defense is excellent once fit ,however, this never happenes
Deadline
01-08-2007, 07:06
Now that Dani Alves has cone public and stated he wants to leave Sevilla, I reckon Milan should go all in to secure his signature. He's probably the best right back in the world at the moment, and it seems he's not as Chelsea bound as some rumours will have it.
hany.Egypt
01-08-2007, 07:11
I heard lots of good things about Alves, though I didn't watch him alot so if he is as good as I heard I would be very happy if we signed him.
Kaladze is hands down better than Chivu. Chivu crumpled like wet paper vs Man U 7-1. Kaladze was a rock for us at home 3-0. Best eastern european at the moment.
This is a good point. Chivu is extremly talented, but I actually trust Kaladze more as a defender. He get's the job done, and I can easily see him as Nesta's first team partner. Altough, I'm not counting Maldini out yet. Hopefully his operation was successfull, and he will be back.
If you look at last season's seria A results you will actually see that our defence was one of the best, while it was our inability to score goals that was the problem. However, I'm also worried about our midfield. The first team is great, but we don't have much backup. Seven players in four midfield positions is not much, and we have no cover for Pirlo's or Kaka's positions. And milan now talk about Kaka as a striker. Great, then we have only 6 midfielders.
Maldini+Nesta
01-08-2007, 07:21
I think Alves could be a winger that just plays great defense.
He is fast, agile, and tough.
This is a good point. Chivu is extremly talented, but I actually trust Kaladze more as a defender. He get's the job done, and I can easily see him as Nesta's first team partner. Altough, I'm not counting Maldini out yet. Hopefully his operation was successfull, and he will be back.
If you look at last season's seria A results you will actually see that our defence was one of the best, while it was our inability to score goals that was the problem. However, I'm also worried about our midfield. The first team is great, but we don't have much backup. Seven players in four midfield positions is not much, and we have no cover for Pirlo's or Kaka's positions. And milan now talk about Kaka as a striker. Great, then we have only 6 midfielders.
Hey Torgeir, your on MM nearly as long as me. Have they given you your free bus pass yet? :grinser:
ACMILAN1983
01-08-2007, 08:06
are you lot off your bananas? kaladze is betta then chivu??? wat the hell are you smoking???? the only world class defender in milan at the moment is NESTA, kaladze is really good...
Firstly, no one is accusing you of anything or being disrespectful, they just disagree, and imo, rightly so. Secondly, you don't state FACTS you state OPINIONS.
To your points, Chivu is technically a more accomplished player than Kaladze, but over the last couple of years Kala has grown immensely as a CB and defensively is more secure than Chivu. Physically, Kaladze is also much more imposing, which is an element that our defence lacked over the years (except when Stam was fit). Kaladze when fit and playing regularly is one of the best CB's in the game, with only the very best such as Nesta, Cannavaro and Terry being better.
Oddo is a very good RB, in fact he is the best in Italy. For Italy, he's also only second to Zambrotta, and is defensively solid if not great and going forward a valuable asset.
Janku and Serginho aren't the world's best LB's and we can improve here, but they are not bad choices. Serginho was originally a LWB and has played the best football of his career in that position, only 2 years ago. It's a risk to trust him with that role after a season out injured and considering his age, but clearly the management trust him. Janku is also trusted in this role (which he's played through his career along with LM) and it's certain the two will alternate throughout the season, with a more solid Favalli (Who can play CB too) to step in when needed.
As for Dida, he is a good keeper, with only Buffon and Cech that are actually a worthy improvement should we invest in a keeper. Seeing as both of them are off limits, we certainly have no reason to replace Dida. Dida has proven himself to be considered argubly the best keeper in Milan's history (or at least top 3), and though he's made poor mistakes, he looked to be as secure as his best towards the end of last season. Even when he had a wall for a defence he made some spectacular and important saves.
The average age of the defence is about 30 (which is when a defender is considered to be reaching his peak). Only a few (Maldini, Serginho and Cafu) are much older and they will be used sparingly. Considering we have Kaladze and Bonera both under 30, age isn't really an issue.
I don't really care whether Inter beat us twice or Lazio finished above us last season. In fact, it was more than obvious at the end of the season that our quality wasn't the problem with the squad last year, and neither was age a big issue considering we looked physically better than almost any other team around at the end of the season. Last season was a strange season with many more factors contributing to our problems than a normal season might.
That's the formation I would like to see next season:
Dida, Daniel Alves, Bonera, Nesta, Kaladze
Blacktop
02-08-2007, 04:55
ALSO yes dida WAS great, no1 was betta not buffon not any1, HOWEVER IF you where to place me in milan when cafu, nesta stam and maldini where younger EVEN I WOULD BE A GOOD KEEPER because of the unstoppable defence, remember the game against FULLHAM!
How is Fulham relevant to a Milan discussion?
ALSO yes dida WAS great, no1 was betta not buffon not any1, HOWEVER IF you where to place me in milan when cafu, nesta stam and maldini where younger EVEN I WOULD BE A GOOD KEEPER because of the unstoppable defence
"cafu, nesta stam and maldini". Please, I sometimes still lay awake at night thinking about what that defence "accomplished". Oddo, Nesta, Maldini, Janko, however, stopped Liverpool easily.
Why are we discussing the defence? This is the only part of the team where we actually have coverage. I fully agree with ACMILAN1983 analysis, except I also think our left defence is good. Janko was great all season, so why are everybody picking at him?
ACMILAN1983
02-08-2007, 12:21
"cafu, nesta stam and maldini". Please, I sometimes still lay awake at night thinking about what that defence "accomplished". Oddo, Nesta, Maldini, Janko, however, stopped Liverpool easily.
Why are we discussing the defence? This is the only part of the team where we actually have coverage. I fully agree with ACMILAN1983 analysis, except I also think our left defence is good. Janko was great all season, so why are everybody picking at him?
He did very well in some matches, but was terrible in others. The one that always springs to my mind is the second Inter match, where he was never in position.
Potentially, he could be great (don't forget how good he was before joining Milan and getting injured), but to reach that level again he's got to step up big.
a couple of years ago when dida hit the milan scene, he let in a terrible goal, it was against fullham
Rayno_acm
03-08-2007, 07:32
a couple of years ago when dida hit the milan scene, he let in a terrible goal, it was against fullham
Let's say it Leeds, in 2000 if I'm not wrong about the year... :rolleyes:
He made it up after that at "Kamp Nou", Barcelona - Milan 0-2, Coco and Bierhoff...Dida saved the victory in that game :bri:
I don't understand why you still blame him for one mistake about 7 years ago... :dontkn:
Blacktop
03-08-2007, 13:20
Let's say it Leeds, in 2000 if I'm not wrong about the year... :rolleyes:
He made it up after that at "Kamp Nou", Barcelona - Milan 0-2, Coco and Bierhoff...Dida saved the victory in that game :bri:
Sept. 19, 2000, a waterlogged pitch and a wet ball. He did great against Barca (which was a week later) but was relegated back to bench duty when Abbiati returned from the Olympics.
I don't understand why you still blame him for one mistake about 7 years ago... :dontkn:
You're not the only one.
slifersd
12-08-2007, 03:47
Our defense is a major problem to me. It is not that those players aren't still good players, but the durability is a major issue here. Looking at our defense line, Oddo, Jankulovski and Bonera can be counted on for playing the majority of the season. The rest of the crew is highly doubtful. Maldini, Serginho and Cafu are probably only good for 20 games a season nowadays. That pretty much takes out half of our defensive rotation. We cannot go on a whole season playing in 5 competitions with 4 or 5 healthy defenders. We need to start replacing old guys with younger ones simply because they can play more games and we need them to play more games.
vBulletin® v3.7.1, Copyright ©2000-2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.