PDA

View Full Version : Learn Jamaican !!!


drucurl
10-11-2007, 13:32
Ok So I know that many would probably google Jamaica and see that Jamaica speaks english right?? WRONG!! :D Jamaicans speak their own version of english....and because they are among the coolest people on earth (Trinis are still #1 :stuckup: ) everybody around Jamaicans try to be like them ( Ok I confess I used to talk a little Jamaican myself in university :nervous:)

So I hope the Caribbean contingent here would lend their support to learning/teaching and understanding Jamaican :

Here are some Jamaican words expressions that I know/ understand....I hope Warro and Ho Young could help with the rest

Bomboclart - The most offensive word in the Jamaican vocabulary (of course that doesn't prevent them from using it liberally :D) It is the english equivalent to c**t

Bloodclart - have no idea what it means it's supposed to be another swear word

Rasclart- See above :stupid:

fassy/chi-chi/sissyman/battyboy/battyman/funnyman/funnyguy- A person who leads an alternative lifestyle it's really as simple as that :bri:
(actually a chi-chi is translated literally as 'termite' but if you meditate on what a termite eats :zany: you'll get the picture )

haffi- "have to"
fi- ANY WORD IN THE ENGLISH language...but most frequently 'for', 'to', and 'the'

inna - 'in the' or 'in your'
pickney' -'child(ren)'
elections - a period of brutally violent civil war where humanity takes a back seat to wanton bloodhsed that makes the conflicts in Iraq, Algeria and the middle east seem like a glorified pillow fight :guw:
bombo- buttocks
dem- 'them'
oman- woman
mek/tek- make/take
nah- no
wah- what
overstand- Rasta slang for 'understand'
sensi- :whie: er...er......herbal relief
R'spek- 'respect' , 'thank you' , 'goodbye' , 'hello', 'have a nice day'

Jamaican Grammar:
(note Jamaicans are incapable of pronouncing an 'h' in ANY word hence words like "help", "have", "hand" etc become "elp", "ave" and "and"....yes they were the first to change "herb" into "erb" :grinser:
)

Other noteworthy trivia:
bob marley: most successful/ influential Caribbean artiste
asafa powell - fastest man alive

Kaka1899
10-11-2007, 13:38
many words dru sound like words we say yorkshire such as ave,and, nah

Jim_UK
11-11-2007, 06:11
Bomboclart sounds like something Jar-Jar Binks would say in the Phantom Menace.

He is definately one though, he was the epitome of all that was wrong in Gerorge Lucas' new trilogy. Stupid George!

Stezagud
12-11-2007, 11:05
I got called a bloodclart by someone on Pro Evo, as i was winning i assumed it was an insult :)

it was such a strange thing to be called that i actually adopted it and have been calling anyone who beats me (not that there are many ;) ) a bloodclart for the past few years without any idea what it meant :D

drucurl
12-11-2007, 11:07
I got called a bloodclart by someone on Pro Evo, as i was winning i assumed it was an insult :)

it was such a strange thing to be called that i actually adopted it and have been calling anyone who beats me (not that there are many ;) ) a bloodclart for the past few years without any idea what it meant :D
Where are Warro and Ho Young when you need them :nunu:

edit: maybe Warro and/or Ho Young just got beat up in Pro Evo :uhm:

Warro Bantan
29-11-2007, 16:20
Sorry seh mi doops, but mi did start sen on some more hupdate pan dem ting deh, but is like seh mi get caught up, an mi neva get fi post mi reply...an a waaa tell yuh seh is nuff tings mi did a type to yuhnuh...cho!

Translation: Sorry my good friend, but while I had started to provide an update to your post, but I got caught up with work, and never got to post my reply, and I want to tell you that I had a lot of things typed too! Damn!

Some clarifications: the curse words Dru has so thoughtfully made you aware of:
claart is the Trini pronounciation....claaat is the original Jamaican way.

Also, meanings are rather different, based on the orgins of said curse words:

Bumbo means bottocks
Rass the same
P*** the same thing in english
Blood well, this harks back to when sanitary napkins were made from cloth...so basically when one uses Bloodclaat...one is calling someone/something a tampon, or a sanitary pad.

And claat = cloth..so figure out what the others mean...if u need help, then u really need help...:D

Some other words/terms/phrases:
Cho: Damn!
doops: Friend,
Dads: Don
Don: Important man,
Top man: Same as Don
Bless/Blessed love: Respect, may you be blessed, blessings on you, thanks
Jah: God (from the rastafarian faith, for whom Haile Selassi I late Emperor of Ethiopia, is the last physical manifestation of God on earth)
Jah kno: God knows
Rasta: Adherent of the rastafarian faith
Rastaman: Same as above
Bobo, Binghi, House of David: Sects of the Rastafarian faith (akin to Episcopalians, Catholics, as sects of Christianity)
Fyah: Fire
Seeitdeh: literally: See it there...but also, there you go, there it is, there you have it
Talk di tings dem: Usually females saying..."give me the gossip"; "go ahead girl, speak your mind"; "tell the secret"
dehso: There; over there
yahso: Here; over here
yute: youth, youngster, bro, friend (as in "my yute")
sosohso: Plain, basic, generic
chups: Kiss; little bit..or small quantity, as in a "chups a butta" = a small amount of butter
sekkle: settle
Idrin: Friend (Rasta terminology)
sistren: Female friend
Bredren: Brethren, male friend
catty: young girl, woman
I-grade: high grade...er....herbal suppliments? :D
other terms for the suppliments: Ganja, weed, lambs bread, keykey, corn

More to follow....

Warro Bantan
29-11-2007, 16:37
Oh! how could I forget:

Popular expression: Tek weh yuhself = Take yourself away from here/it/him/her, remove oneself from a situation, rapid escape/retreat

Tommybhoy
29-11-2007, 17:19
How she man a go wuk

(How is her man going to go to work)

Tek yuhsel fe we face
(get out of our faces)

Warro Bantan
29-11-2007, 17:21
Nice my Celtic friend!! Well done! B+ for that!!

Lost points on the "Tek yuhsel fe we face= get out of our faces"

That should be: "Tek weh yuhself fram outta wi face" = Get out of our faces :D

SANT
29-11-2007, 18:30
Me no entender :dontkn:

Warro Bantan
30-11-2007, 12:26
What dont you understand SANT? :grinser:

drucurl
30-11-2007, 13:05
Some clarifications: the curse words Dru has so thoughtfully made you aware of:
claart is the Trini pronounciation....claaat is the original Jamaican way
I prefer clart :stuckup:

Also, meanings are rather different, based on the orgins of said curse words:

Bumbo means bottocks
Rass the same
P*** the same thing in english
Blood well, this harks back to when sanitary napkins were made from cloth...so basically when one uses Bloodclaat...one is calling someone/something a tampon, or a sanitary pad.

And claat = cloth..so figure out what the others mean...if u need help, then u really need help...:D
Thanks for the correction. B****CL**T was explained to me by my Jamaican friends in University. I had no idea it meant "bottom-cloth" He said it was what you said in place of c**t in Jamaica. So is a B****CL**T analagous to a used diaper or does it mean you're calling someone a drawers?? :confused:

other terms for the suppliments: Ganja, weed, lambs bread :eekani: , keykey, corn

More to follow....lambs bread?? :haha:
Jamaican is GREAT.....hope to hear more


P.S. Jamaicans the world over said Bumboc***t when Trinidad qualified for the WC :D they even helped out Bahrain when they were playing against us :uhm:

Warro Bantan
30-11-2007, 13:19
I prefer clart :stuckup: Yup, not problem with that, but it goes a long way in explaining why u r a Trini (nation of birth and nationality of parents aside) :D


Thanks for the correction. B****CL**T was explained to me by my Jamaican friends in University. I had no idea it meant "bottom-cloth" He said it was what you said in place of c**t in Jamaica. So is a B****CL**T analagous to a used diaper or does it mean you're calling someone a drawers?? :confused: Well, I guess he was going for simplicity...it means literally: You "used piece of toilet paper you"...again from the time when the wealthy used linen to wipe their butts...but because in Trini, you say C**t for so many things, he made that comparison, as it is quite applicable, but really, the literal meaning is lost on the majority of the population...its just something you say when: Happy, sad, pissed off, etc..ie a response to a highly emotional state...u kno, like americans use the "f" word...

P.S. Jamaicans the world over said Bumboc***t when Trinidad qualified for the WC :D they even helped out Bahrain when they were playing against us :uhm: We did make that shout, and because (from my perspective anyway) we were happy for you, even if we all said: "Good for them! But man, now they have something to argue with us about...ah well, but at least we won a match"

Jamaicans always root for the side with more black players...and T&T was surely in that category...we were all rooting for you guys at the WC...and really mad when Crouch fouled your CB to get that "goal"... :rr30:

drucurl
30-11-2007, 14:26
Yup, not problem with that, but it goes a long way in explaining why u r a Trini (nation of birth and nationality of parents aside)
Didn't get that :dontkn:


We did make that shout, and because (from my perspective anyway) we were happy for you, even if we all said: "Good for them! But man, now they have something to argue with us about...ah well, but at least we won a match"

Jamaicans always root for the side with more black players...and T&T was surely in that category...we were all rooting for you guys at the WC...and really mad when Crouch fouled your CB to get that "goal"...

Ok well that was really nice of YOU Crouch's goal was very upsetting but I guess now England are getting what they deserved :5ok: but I know for sure that the Jamaicans helped out Bahrain when they came here. Anyway at least we are friends :1ole:

Warro Bantan
30-11-2007, 14:51
Re: What you didnt get: Its a known fact in JA, that Trini´s always want to do things "their" way, instead of the "right" way, hence your insistence on pronouncing and spelling a JAMAICAN word your (read incorrect) way, instead of how it should be pronounced.

Cant believe I just typed an entire paragraph on the correct pronounciation and spelling of a curse word...what am I coming to? :grinser:

drucurl
30-11-2007, 15:05
Re: What you didnt get: Its a known fact in JA, that Trini´s always want to do things "their" way, instead of the "right" way, hence your insistence on pronouncing and spelling a JAMAICAN word your (read incorrect) way, instead of how it should be pronounced
You are right....it will come off as a bit arrogant, I just find that it sounds so much more classy with the "r". I'm sorry. bumboclaat it is :5ok:

Cant believe I just typed an entire paragraph on the correct pronounciation and spelling of a curse word...what am I coming to? :grinser: You know you like it ;) I think that's where 50 Cent gets it from (isn't his family originally Jamaican) :rotfl:

Warro Bantan
30-11-2007, 16:16
I think someone in his family was originally Jcan...and growing up in Brooklyn, he had no choice but to be influenced by the Jamaicans surrounding him..

But lets see:

Biggie Smalls
Busta Rhymes
50 cent (?)
Shinehead (for those ol school B-boppers)

Are all from Jcan ancestory....yup...JA is definately a major producer of talent...all kinds too....

Ghost
01-12-2007, 05:45
bumboclaaart... :dumpf:

Tommybhoy
05-12-2007, 14:24
Jamaica is most definately the most influential of the caribbean islands, especially musically. I've visited Barbados 8 times and got to know so many beautiful people but the youth essentially look to Jamaica for influences. **** all this talk is making me yearn for some chicken and rice or even better a roti. Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

drucurl
05-12-2007, 14:47
Jamaica is most definately the most influential of the caribbean islands, especially musically. I've visited Barbados 8 times and got to know so many beautiful people but the youth essentially look to Jamaica for influences. **** all this talk is making me yearn for some chicken and rice or even better a roti :eekani: Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol
:wth: :wth: Even Warro will tell you.....roti is the speciality of the Trinis :mad:
Jerk chicken/ Pork is definitely Jamaican so is akee etc etc but the best East Indian cuisine comes from TnT we have the highest east indian population in the Caribbean....hell I'm part indian.....apology accepted :o
:d33:

hitmannq8
05-12-2007, 15:47
there's a jamaican thread and I dont know about it?? whats this chichi-ness?

drucurl
05-12-2007, 16:41
there's a jamaican thread and I dont know about it?? whats this chichi-ness?
Very good :D I'll let the Jamaicans (warro and ho-young) grade you but you were probably better off saying :
"
Meh cyah believe dem fassys ah mek thread fi jamrock an' nah 'olla pon 'itman :mad: wha de b****claat ah do dem :wth:
"

Tommybhoy
05-12-2007, 17:13
:wth: :wth: Even Warro will tell you.....roti is the speciality of the Trinis :mad:
Jerk chicken/ Pork is definitely Jamaican so is akee etc etc but the best East Indian cuisine comes from TnT we have the highest east indian population in the Caribbean....hell I'm part indian.....apology accepted :o
:d33:

Well Dru, Da Bajans dun rob ya of ya roti, n bo dem good. In my times over there i've robbed many an akee tree but they were more bitter than the ones i get given. Those trees are cussed, i tell you. I never tried jerk beef/chicken but one day i will.

drucurl
05-12-2007, 18:59
Well Dru, Da Bajans dun rob ya of ya roti, n bo dem good. In my times over there i've robbed many an akee tree but they were more bitter than the ones i get given. Those trees are cussed, i tell you. I never tried jerk beef/chicken but one day i will.

:eekani: OMG that's the worst Trini/bajan/Jamaican I've ever heard....you're liable to get beat up by all three :D But Good effort though :5ok:
My mum is a big fan of Bajan cuisine but I really don't get what you're trying to say :embarass: other than the poor Bajan's attempt at roti :rollani: .

Jamaicans.....for all their talent have an unnatural obsession with akee :dontkn:

Tommybhoy
05-12-2007, 19:20
:eekani: OMG that's the worst Trini/bajan/Jamaican I've ever heard....you're liable to get beat up by all three :D But Good effort though :5ok:
My mum is a big fan of Bajan cuisine but I really don't get what you're trying to say :embarass: other than the poor Bajan's attempt at roti :rollani: .

Jamaicans.....for all their talent have an unnatural obsession with akee :dontkn:


Needless to say i don't try the local dialect when i'm there. Over the years though i've come to understand what people are saying quite easily. My mother in law is from Barbados so we have a huge family there, in fact we have just built a house there. We got married there in 93 and the bajans know how to party. Cropover is the best time to go though now with 3 kids i've not made cropover since 97. The bajan roti is good but i'll take your word for it that the T&T ones are better. I think the Jamaican akee is not the same a bajan akee. Akees are small fruits with a semi hard coat. It is essentially a seed with a sticky substance that you suck off. When they are sweet they are sweet but when they are bitter they piss you off. :scream:

drucurl
06-12-2007, 05:21
Hey Warro did ya feel the earthquake that shook the Caribbean? I heard in other islands it registered 7.3 :eekani: on the richter scale

Warro Bantan
06-12-2007, 17:17
No my brother from T&T...not at all...then again, we get minor quakes in Kgn all the time...and Tommybhoy..spot on...all the Caribbean islanders want to be Jamaican, at least at some point in their lives...ask Dru..:grinser:

drucurl
06-12-2007, 18:28
No my brother from T&T...not at all...then again, we get minor quakes in Kgn all the time...and Tommybhoy..spot on...all the Caribbean islanders want to be Jamaican, at least at some point in their lives...ask Dru..
Sadly you're right :wallbang: my first year in university i called everyone a bumboclaat and a fassy :D jamaicans rule. (Trinis rule jamaica though :o ). Warro you're making me feel to open a 'learn trini' thread :nunu:

Warro Bantan
07-12-2007, 09:49
Re Trini´s rule JA: This is becoming more and more of a reality, as your oil rich private sector continues to buy out our companies...Carib Cement, First Caribbean, Guardian Life...and now Appleton...

Is nothing sacred? :moan:

drucurl
07-12-2007, 13:04
Re Trini´s rule JA: This is becoming more and more of a reality, as your oil rich private sector continues to buy out our companies...Carib Cement, First Caribbean, Guardian Life...and now Appleton...

Is nothing sacred? :moan:
Soon your favourite Jamaican Patties stand will have a big DRUCURL sign over it :D :D Don't worry I'm a benevolent master :stuckup:

But in all seriousness Warro those things are the bomb!! What do you guys put in'em (rhetorical question I know how they are made..but is there any special spice/seasoning :dontkn: )

drucurl
05-01-2008, 13:18
Warro what is the origin of the expression "fish bwoy" I know what it means and it's as simple as that :bri: but I want to know how they came up with it :guw:

Warro Bantan
07-01-2008, 12:21
Good question Dru...not really sure, but here is my theory:

We tend (depending on context) to associate "fish" with "fishy"...as in something is "fishy" with this...ie, not correct.

So, if a man is termed "batty fish" (As was popular in the mi-80s) then, he is gay...which is where I am sure "fish bwoy" is derived from.

The combination of both therefore, is probably where it came from...:dontkn:

Warro Bantan
07-01-2008, 12:37
Soon your favourite Jamaican Patties stand will have a big DRUCURL sign over it :D :D Don't worry I'm a benevolent master :stuckup:

But in all seriousness Warro those things are the bomb!! What do you guys put in'em (rhetorical question I know how they are made..but is there any special spice/seasoning :dontkn: ) Yes mi frien...wi put een a special erb, weh dem seh is di ealin of di nation...

Psyche...have no idea...if u ask an older Jcan, they will prob tell u is di "dog meat" weh Missa Chin put een deh! (There were huge rumors that Tastee patties had dog meat inside them, back in the 70s and 80s...which turned out to be baseless...or so we were told! LOL!!)

Have u tried the chicken patty yet? Or lobster (dat is di bomb!!!)

drucurl
08-01-2008, 01:03
Yes mi frien...wi put een a special erb, weh dem seh is di ealin of di nation...

Psyche...have no idea...if u ask an older Jcan, they will prob tell u is di "dog meat" weh Missa Chin put een deh! (There were huge rumors that Tastee patties had dog meat inside them, back in the 70s and 80s...which turned out to be baseless...or so we were told! LOL!!)

Have u tried the chicken patty yet? Or lobster (dat is di bomb!!!)
Lobster Patties ? :eekani: Chicken Patties? :eekani: :eekani:
Is there any chance that I could come across there ... you know, on a free transfer :D
:lick:

Warro Bantan
08-01-2008, 13:06
Sure dru! Just bring ur $swith you! (We hear that T&T has gold paved streets and such) We welcome anyone with real money!
(But dont worry, I will get u the patties you want at a price u wont believe!) :D

drucurl
22-02-2008, 08:15
A young man from Jamaica moves to Miami and goes to a big department shopping complex looking for a job. The manager says, "Do you have any sales experience"? The Jamaican young man says, "Yes Boss, mi was a salesman back home on di streets a Kingston."

The boss liked him so he gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did."

His first day on the job was rough but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came down. "How many sales did you make today?"

The Jamaican young man says, "Man, Just ONE sale"

The boss says, "Just one? No! No! No! You see here our sales people average 20 or 30 sales a day. If you want to keep this job, you'd better be doing better than just one sale. By the way, how much was the sale for?"

The Jamaican young man says, "£301,237.64"
Boss says, "£301,237.64? What the hell did you sell?"

The Jamaican young man: "Well Boss, fus mi sell him one little fish hook. Den mi sell him a medium size fish hook. Den mi sell him l big fish hook.

Den mi sell him one fishing rod an sum fishing tings. Den mi ask him whey him a go fishing, an him seh dung de coast, so mi tell him sey him a go want one boat, so we go dung a de boating department an mi sell him one twin engine cris craft.

Den him seh him nuh think him Honda Civic can pull it, so mi tek him dung a wi automotive department an mi sell him di 4X4 Blazer. Then mi ask him whey him a go sleep, an since him neva have nuh weh, mi tek him dung a di camping department an sell him one a di new 6-sleeper camper tents. Then the man seh, while we deh pon it, mi might as well fling in about a £100.00 wut a groceries and two case ah beer."

The boss said, "You're not serious? A guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a Boat, a 4x4 truck and a tent?"

The Jamaican young man says, "No sah, him come in yah fi buy one box of tampons fi him wife, and mi tell him seh "Well, since yuh weekend mash up, yuh might jus as well go do some fishing."

drucurl
18-06-2008, 19:14
Hey Warro Is Movado's name "MAvado"? :confused: copyright issues?
:p1510:

drucurl
18-06-2008, 19:16
@ Warro us Trinis & Jamaicans must Certainly be Laughing @ Barbados 8-0 :eek:
:haha:

drucurl
20-08-2008, 12:28
Congrats to Warro and Ho-Young yuh yardie mash up de place :respect: 'im tun Beijing badman place :r11:
Forza Jamaica
Forza Usain Bolt
forza Movado!
Gaaaaaangster fuh life


P.S. Warro I came to your hotel but you weren't there :(

Jim_UK
20-08-2008, 14:47
Awesome stuff from Usain Bolt, simply a class apart from everyone else ... must be all those nuggets he eats :D

Can you imagine how good it would have been if Michael Johnson had been in this generation of athletes? Seeing him and Bolt fight it out in the Olympics & World Championships over 200m would have been spectacular!

I doubt Warro got any work done today :delol:

Warro Bantan
20-08-2008, 16:14
Oh, got tons of work done bros!!

And dru...man...I dunno...wished u wouldve called me b4 u came by..that way I would have made certain I was there...anyhoo...should be back there soon.

Rispek for the kind words....BOLT a di boss!!

Mavado...movado...a gangsta fi life...would love to see the watch people try to make him change his name! :D

drucurl
22-08-2008, 09:37
Congrats to Jamaica again :respect: New World Record
(I'd also like to sey well done to the trinis who overcome numerous difficulties to still get a medal :p017:)

Warro Bantan
22-08-2008, 12:59
Thanks dru...and big up to the Trini team same way!

Jamaica to di werrrrrrrrl!!

Mystik
16-08-2009, 15:07
Couldn't find anywhere to put it...but Usain Bolt just ran a 9.58 at the World Championships in Berlin..and still took a couple glances to the right to see where Gay was (nowhere near btw).

Congrats to all my fellow Caribbean people...and as Warro said: Jamaica to di world!

Rick
16-08-2009, 15:48
Cool mon! :beer:

Mystik
21-08-2009, 00:03
Couldn't find anywhere to put it...but Usain Bolt just ran a 9.58 at the World Championships in Berlin..and still took a couple glances to the right to see where Gay was (nowhere near btw).

Congrats to all my fellow Caribbean people...and as Warro said: Jamaica to di world!
...and 19.19 in the 200m. Is this guy even human?

Warro what are the celebrations like in Jamaica? Your men and women are absolutely eating up the track events. Hopefully the relays will have similar success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZNAoEyqiSI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGwS59u0na4

Warro Bantan
21-08-2009, 00:42
Yes Mystik!! Believe me, people are stopping in the street to watch the races.

Work, play,war... everything comes to a halt, with streaming video, cable and free-to-air tv bringing live coverage of all the events, Jamaica is at a standstill, especially if Bolt or another Jamaican is in a race they are "sure" to win.

Potcovers are prepared (for clashing together in celebration), and persons make their bets, some bursting into prayer as the athlete's take their positions in the starting blocks.

Then a tense silence only broken here and there by a terse observation as they take their places, and the starter fires. The silence is maintained with only brief injection of expert opinion, or those brave/foolish enough....till the very first signs of our athlete coming to the fore, and if its a lead, or fighting for a place, the support intensifies, people shouting on the runner, willing them to victory...

Then, if victorious, the pot covers clash, fences and doors are beat-upon, whistles blown, and a "gun-salute" or few can be heard in some places...pandemonium!

Its an instant of unity and joy that is all too rare, and so appreciated all the more for its scarcity.

Parties are all "Wear yuh colours" themed, flags on cars are making their appearance again, not as numerous as for Beijing, but enuf so u kno people r feelin a bit patriotic.

Anyone following Bolt's progress at the junior level, in JA would have known we had a huge potential talent, but in the 400m!!

Which makes his speed over 100m all the more phenomenal...for most of his career as a junior athlere, he was a 400m specialist, who "could" run a 200...

In general I follow track and field only peripherally, but was aware of him breaking records left right and centre back then.

He can do little wrong here, and is loved by all, as are all the athletes in truth, but he, obviously, is special.

Bolt recently had a bad car accident which could have ended his career, yet he only cut his feet after exiting his flipped over BMWM3 (fotos of which are on the net I'm sure)!! He is truly blessed.

Were looking for gold again in the relays, that's for sure!! And a record or 2 as well.

That's it in a nutshell bro!

Jamaica to di werrrrrrl!!

drucurl
21-08-2009, 05:06
Well done Jamaica :respect: and congrats to mi doops Warro :whie: However i must also point out that i'd be setting world records too if i was being chased by a Gay Tyson :zany:

HO-YOUNG
24-08-2009, 15:28
Yow.... Mi a just start pre da tread yah... big up Warro and Dru fi even tink bout such a tread rasta...
Jamaica a mek Hitler turn inna him grave...

drucurl
24-08-2009, 23:34
Yow.... Mi a just start pre da tread yah... big up Warro and Dru fi even tink bout such a tread rasta...
Jamaica a mek Hitler turn inna him grave...
yow babylon nah wah de ghetto yute fi overstan dat 'im ah jewish chi chi bway ... :wth: Im fi tie up like a bomboclaat market crab

drucurl
24-09-2009, 23:30
DeMarco = crap :o He came to Trinidad's world famous club zen and got destroyed by the local nonames. Even an ordinary dancer out wined him. And he only has one good song.

Warro Bantan
25-09-2009, 03:30
He is of the new generation of "singers", lilke Sean Kingston, who cannot hold a note w/out autotune...+ he is a "gangsta"-type "singer", so I am not surprised.

Next time u plan to spend ur hard earned $s to listen a J'can artiste live, holla @ ur boy for a review (free of cost) :D

By the way: I will b in T&T @ some point in Oct, prob 2nd or 3rd week...will let u kno via fb.

drucurl
25-09-2009, 18:49
He is of the new generation of "singers", lilke Sean Kingston, who cannot hold a note w/out autotune...+ he is a "gangsta"-type "singer", so I am not surprised.

Next time u plan to spend ur hard earned $s to listen a J'can artiste live, holla @ ur boy for a review (free of cost) :D

By the way: I will b in T&T @ some point in Oct, prob 2nd or 3rd week...will let u kno via fb. I'll call :cheers:
what ever happened to Berers and Barrington??:p1510: this guy (DEMARCO) sucks!!! My gf was practically begging him to leave the stage (and THAT meant NO WINE FOR DRU :5dito: )
Oh and kudos for hating Kingston :respect: though....he is almost as annoying as Rupee :v46:

mzk57
26-09-2009, 07:21
I would like to know how to say these 2 lines in Jamaican:

(1) I love you (to a beautiful Martina Hingis type girl)

(2) Leonardo is a coward

Warro Bantan
26-09-2009, 09:59
"Mi luv yuh baaby"

"Leo ah cowaaad"

Mystik
26-09-2009, 10:37
Dru you have to listen to some Jah Vinci, Kartel and anything from the GAZA lol it's sick, trust me on that one.

drucurl
26-09-2009, 12:41
I would like to know how to say these 2 lines in Jamaican:

(1) I love you (to a beautiful Martina Hingis type girl)

(2) Leonardo is a cowardIf you ever wanted to say it in Trini it would be :

(1) Gyuh ah reaaaaal check fuh yuh

(2) Leo eh ha' no belly nah

Mystik
30-09-2009, 16:52
Warro: what does "nine night" refer to? A few artists mention it in their songs ("no nine night") so I was just wondering what in heaven's name they were referring to.

Warro Bantan
30-09-2009, 17:22
A nine-night referrs to the ninth night after someone has died...and apparently has some christian significance....as you can probably tell, I'm not really a christian, so I don't know the specific reason.

The nine-night usually involves people who knew the deceased going to the home of said deceased, where the fanily puts on a spread of food and drink, and usually there is singing of hyms, and is normally an all night affair.

In the country parts (ie outside of Kingston) there are actually special bamds that play (again, usually christian hyms and songs), while in Kingston, especially for the younger set (ie younger deceased) its a sound system that plays.

The actual funeral is usually held the next day.

Mystik
30-09-2009, 23:05
Ahhhh ok now it makes some more sense lol thanks a bunch.

HO-YOUNG
01-10-2009, 00:02
Ahhhh ok now it makes some more sense lol thanks a bunch.

Every day before milan plays is their Nine Night!!!!!!!!!:5schal:

drucurl
01-10-2009, 09:31
Ho-Young and Warro... y'all Gazza or Gully??

hiero
01-10-2009, 09:56
Ho-Young and Warro... y'all Gazza or Gully??

dude you are here too,are all the members common to both the forums.

Warro Bantan
01-10-2009, 10:12
I'm neither...I'm too old for that foolishness....

There is talent in both camps, no question about that.

Wayne Marshall and Killah are personal friends of mine, but as long as school children are fighting (and killing in @ least one instance) over this divisive crap, I will claim allegiance to none.

Reggae Music mi seh!

Warro Bantan
01-10-2009, 10:17
The award for "Best use of Nine Night in a sentence goes to:
Every day before milan plays is their Nine Night!!!!!!!!!:5schal:

:delol:

HO-YOUNG
01-10-2009, 10:19
Ho-Young and Warro... y'all Gazza or Gully??

not into that ****... i'm into agriculture!!!!

drucurl
01-10-2009, 11:50
What about the bigger (better) artists like Buju, Beenie Capleton etc...are they all involved or do they look and laugh like you guys???

drucurl
02-10-2009, 08:28
Ok so i'm just recovering from my lil wayne phase (still feel compelled to listen to hustler musik now and then). But now i'm going through an old school capleton phase :5ok: Can't seem to get 'stand tall' out of my head :whie: thankfully 'who dem' is just for frustration fighting. I fear however that if i consume too many fire tunes that i'll head up to the via turatti to bun dong de babylon (berlu) :respect:

HO-YOUNG
02-10-2009, 14:05
What about the bigger (better) artists like Buju, Beenie Capleton etc...are they all involved or do they look and laugh like you guys???

i guess so... i pay attention to the more positive music and a lot of old skool/ retro

HO-YOUNG
02-10-2009, 14:10
The award for "Best use of Nine Night in a sentence goes to:


:delol:

:ilol::kap::kap::kap:

Warro Bantan
02-10-2009, 16:09
I agree with Ho-Young, I don't think most of the other artistes really care...

The thing is...Jamaicans are very aggressive by nature, and that is expressed in all areas of our lives and culture.

From time to time, other artistes (eg Chino and the BigShip family vs Munga and the Don Corleone camp) will have beef...right now, the most current is Flippa Mafia vs Elephant Man, and Bounty vs Kartel.

I just want these guys to forget the petty stuff, and focus on the music, and making it into the number one genre world-wide....we have the talent to do it, we just need to focus on the positive, and eliminate the negative.

Bob Marley put us on the map, these guys need to work harder to keep us there.

I'm also with Ho_Young in that I listen more to "lover rock" and "culture" genres of reggae....as well as ol school...I do listen to the current crop of dancehall, only becuz I have to keep up to date so that I have something to talk to my 16yr old son about! :D

drucurl
12-10-2009, 10:36
FSC is reporting that someone put a hex on CR9 :eekani: . Dammit Warro tell your obeah lady that's not how we want to win :wth: I told you this would happen if you paid her in weed.

Warro Bantan
12-10-2009, 10:47
Funny thing is, I haven't paid her at all...wonder if that's why my big toe is so swollen...:dontkn:

Think I need to go sort her out asap!!

drucurl
09-04-2010, 17:51
eal badman nuh model inna shorts
straight jeans, cut off foot pants
evrybody affi ask weh mi get mi clarks
evrybody affi ask weh mi get mi clarks
d leatha hard, d suede soft
tooth brush get out the dust faas
evrybody affi ask weh mi get mi clarks
evrybody affi ask weh mi get mi clarks

what a vain commercial bull$#!t :5milan:
Inna de old days it was "read badman nah wear tight pants"
But since Vybz fi mindless and soulless in im tight pants
im fi need fi promote imself... :wth:

Bomboclaat battybwoy :stuckup:

Warro Bantan
09-04-2010, 18:58
real badman nuh model inna shorts;
straight jeans, cut off foot pants
evrybody affi ask weh mi get mi clarks
evrybody affi ask weh mi get mi clarks
d leatha hard, d suede soft
tooth brush get out the dust faas
evrybody affi ask weh mi get mi clarks
evrybody affi ask weh mi get mi clarks

what a vain commercial bull$#!t :5milan:
Inna de old days it was "read badman nah wear tight pants"
But since Vybz fi mindless and soulless in im tight pants
im fi need fi promote imself... :wth:

Bomboclaat battybwoy :stuckup:

Its not the first time, nor will it be the last that entertainers in JA will big up the Clarks booty....been doing it ever since they started wearing them...

The issue is, I dont particularly rate Kartel....as a lyricist, I do, but becuz he is bleaching..which I find to be the most distasteful thing about today´s yutes.....I think he is mos def on my "artistes-I-dont-like-as-a-person-but- think-are-talented" list...(Michael heads the list, as the "original bleacher" for example)

Aside from dat, di song "shot" as dem seh...it gone...gettin mad airplay...good ting fi me is dat mi always a wear Clarks....so its nuttin new if di trend anuh fi sneakers nuh more, but fi good quality footwear...yuhzeeeit!

:dontkn:

"Ah weh yuh get dah new Clarks deh dawdie?" :haha:

drucurl
10-04-2010, 12:55
Its not the first time, nor will it be the last that entertainers in JA will big up the Clarks booty....been doing it ever since they started wearing them...

The issue is, I dont particularly rate Kartel....as a lyricist, I do, but becuz he is bleaching..which I find to be the most distasteful thing about today´s yutes.....I think he is mos def on my "artistes-I-dont-like-as-a-person-but- think-are-talented" list...(Michael heads the list, as the "original bleacher" for example)

Aside from dat, di song "shot" as dem seh...it gone...gettin mad airplay...good ting fi me is dat mi always a wear Clarks....so its nuttin new if di trend anuh fi sneakers nuh more, but fi good quality footwear...yuhzeeeit!

:dontkn:

"Ah weh yuh get dah new Clarks deh dawdie?" :haha::confused: why don't you like Mos Def? You rate Vybz's lyrics :eek: are you the same guy that listened to Bob, Beres, Buju, Gergory Isaac etc? Hell I prefer Capleton's "lyrics" to mr. Kartel's

Vybz's lyrics are filthy and obscene and he sounds like a closet homo. I'm still confused how he managed to beat Movado :dontkn: Some of my yardie friends told me that he deals up in the occult...but you know Caribbean people they'll accuse anyone of practising obeah

Kaka1899
10-04-2010, 13:38
haha i forgot this thread existed although it makes more sense now after listning to Little Jacob off of GTA IV :D

Mystik
22-04-2010, 21:27
Warro! What's with Kartel and all these Clarkes songs...was there a sudden influx of clarkes in Jamaica or something? :s

Warro Bantan
22-04-2010, 21:53
Well Mystik...Clarks hav always been a mainstay of a true "man of the street" in JA, and indeed, all stratas of Jamaican society....I have been wearing them from the mid-1980s...

They have never gone out of style, but their popularity has waned from time to time.

Though in truth, they remain a "must-have" in any Jamaican's closet.

Kartel just stated the obvious, and sometimes, if u couple it with a catchy beat, and with fun, carefree lyrics, u make a hit.

Combine that with the fact that Desert Clarks are now a constant in the last several GQ mags, and there u have it.....

drucurl
30-07-2010, 19:13
Just when I thought I couldn't hate Vybz Kartel any more he comes out with two songs justifying wearing tight pants :proud:
I can't believe Movado lost ANYTHING to this piece of $#!t :wth:
STRRRRRAIGHT Jeans and Fitted :clap:
With Buju in jail...Junior Gong a rather pale reflection of his father true dancehall seems to be going to the dogs...at least from a Trini perspective. Make no mistake the songs are still catchy but rather lacking any substance. Haven't heard any tunes from Sizzla of late I dunno if Warro could fill me in.
Oh and special shoutout to Sean Kingston looking less tough than Justin Beiber. At least Beiber made a pass at Jay-Z's girl.

Oh for the days when Sizzla and Capleton were puttin fire pon Bablyon.

But the same degeneration of the artform is taking place with soca in trinidad.....bunch of commercial rubbish :yuck:

Warro Bantan
30-07-2010, 20:06
Well Dru....I think u r being a little harsh....

Junior Gong is a paragon in the industry, and really a great artiste IMO....now asking him to live up to his father, who for me is simply the greatest artiste of all time....is a bit much.

Mavado is definately a talent....he just hasn't captured the masses of JA, but is more recognised worldwide than Kartel...his music,especially those releases under the production talents of Stephen "the Genius" McGregor, are classics: Starlight, Still stand up, God of peace, On the Rock etc, are releases that will stand the test of time, and outlast "Clarks v1, 2 and 3"....

All things run in cycles, and Jah Cure, Tarrus Riley, and I-Octane, are just some of the new generation of artistes who can be considered the new wave of reggae/dancehall talent to take the baton from Buju, Sizzla etc.

Right now, its Beenieman's "Rum & RedBull', DJ Liquid's "wifey walk out" and other "feel-good" music, that is in the fore...understandably so, in light of the recent unrest in Kingston with regard to the Duddus extradition.

I was at Sumfest this year (for work) and on DanceHall night, the artistes that got the biggest response from the usually difficult Jamaican audience, were Khargo (naa sell out mi fren dem) and I-Octane....they got more "forwards" than even Kartel, who closed the show...so there is hope yet.

As to Sizzla....I think he is just living off his catalogue now....we have probably (unfortunately) seen the best of him, and won't see anything near his best again.....though who knows....if he gets "hungry/inspired" enough, he may yet surprise me.

drucurl
31-07-2010, 18:59
I dunno buddy there seems to be so much commercial nonsense these days. This carnival it Trinidad there was actually a group made from a cheese snack ad :wallbang:. That kinda crap actually hurts the genuine artists :mad:

drucurl
24-08-2010, 12:29
Massive r'spek to Miss Jamaica (soon to be Mrs 'curl :5love:)
Truth be told she should have won :wth: She answered the best and was CLEARLY the most intelligent. (thank goodness there's some places which that doesn't matter...oink oink :o )
Still as a trini I'm secretly happt she didn't win :guw: