PDA

View Full Version : Why and when, AC Milan !!


Bosniaco
26-04-2009, 12:49
Hello


I'm not sure if there is a thread about this, but I would like to why and when some of the people from this forum became fans, supporters of AC Milan?


If there is a thread like this one, moderators please delete it :):D

ACMILAN1983
27-04-2009, 02:47
I think there is another thread, but anyway...

It was around Euro 88 I saw the dutch trio for Holland and was simply amazed by them (mostly Gullit and Van Basten). I wanted to find out who they played for and found it was Milan. I started following Milan and was even more blown away by the football and the rest is simply history.

Pietro
27-04-2009, 03:12
My uncle purchased an ac milan wallet for me when he went to italy in 1989 (the team i follow in Australia is also red and black).....I have been following them ever since.....thank you uncle!!!!

Bosniaco
27-04-2009, 18:13
Nice guys

Well let me say that I started following AC Milan in 1993. I have moved to Italy in 1992, due to the war in Bosnia. Since Savicevic was my favorite player and he played for AC Milan at the time I stared following Milan, and Savicevic left, and I kept following Milan, fell in love and here I m, still following AC Milan even though I live in the United States.

RIO
30-04-2009, 18:14
1982. Relatives from Italy (Bologna and Tuscany) came to visit. One of them gave me a bunch of stickers with the logos of various Serie A clubs on them. He said that his favorite was AC Milan and I liked the colors. I always remembered that. Six years later on I caught a taped match between Juve and Milan on cable TV and liked the looks of dreadlocked handsome fellow making all the elegant plays. A few weeks later I read an article in a magazine about Ruud Gullit and decided to follow Milan. It was somewhat difficult in the USA until about 1996 with the advent of that great time-waster, the Internet.

Peachtot
01-05-2009, 03:29
nice topic :5ok:

well, the 1st time i watched football on tv was world cup 90. i saw a man with long curl hair who seemed pretty all around the pitch, moved, fight and jump with good header. that time he was the most eye-catching player and easy to ge my attention. yep the guy was gullit. then i asked my father why he had that kind hair style and my father gave the easiest way to explain for a 8 y.o kid (that just me) "in foreign countries (i'm indonesian) they have cold weather so the long hair keeps player skin more warm":D . since that time i like holland national team (the likes of gullit and basten) then sooner i know there's a winner football club in where gullit and basten also played for. after that time i become a fan of ac milan till now :)

Inferno
01-05-2009, 09:44
I knew Milan since I was a kid but didn't realy cared about them or knew something about that team at all.
I knew names like Rudd Gullit, Marco van Basten but so..? football did not realy interested me much.
In 1998 my cousin bought the first playstation and I saw AC Milan are a good team with alot of power so i started to play only with them.
There was a player who scored an enormous goals for me!
I "fell in love" with him. :D
I had to see who is this player for real.
so I started to watch games of Milan and ever since then I stick to Milan and can't let go.
His name was Weah.

Bosniaco
01-05-2009, 10:13
I knew Milan since I was a kid but didn't realy cared about them or knew something about that team at all.
I knew names like Rudd Gullit, Marco van Basten but so..? football did not realy interested me much.
In 1998 my cousin bought the first playstation and I saw AC Milan are a good team with alot of power so i started to play only with them.
There was a player who scored an enormous goals for me!
I "fell in love" with him. :D
I had to see who is this player for real.
so I started to watch games of Milan and ever since then I stick to Milan and can't let go.
His name was Weah.
Oh Weah, loved this guy. I still have a jersey Weah from 1995. Ofcourse at the time I was like 12 so it does not fit anymore.

Great to read, how we became fans of great AC Milan.

HO-YOUNG
01-05-2009, 10:33
I was given a Milan Jersey back in the '88'... at first i believe that Milan was the name of a Country...

GeoTav
01-05-2009, 11:37
Why everyone has become a fan of Milan for funny or/and weird reasons ?? :D

2002-2003: No satellite or "numeric" TV (I don't know if the "numeric" word has any sense in English) at my home. So I only saw some games of Milan in CL and I admired this team.
My destiny should have been to support Juventus like my grand-father (he is from Piacenza, so he supports Piacenza first, and then Juventus), like my father, like my older brother, but I've chosen the team that gave me the will to follow football, the team that brought me sensations, good feelings, when I was watching it playing.

My love story with Milan started there, and the year after, I asked to my father to buy Canal Plus channels, allowing me to watch more and more games from Milan (only CL games as I lived in my parents home only at week-ends, so I could only follow CL games on the radio, and since 2004-2005, most of the Serie A games + all CL games, and then streamings appeared, and since, I didn't miss any game or almost, even friendlies).

So my love for Milan is quite recent, but anyway, before that, I just watched some football games in the biggest competitions (WC94, Euro96, WC98, Euro2000, WC2002). I even thought this sport was quite stupid and boring ... but Milan has changed the way I see football nowadays.

PS: I was 16yo in 2002

Tony75
01-05-2009, 11:50
Seen a Milan match in 1992, and start following them since then. Have been 2 times to San Siro, and will make it 3 for the Roma match. Paolo's last home match.

Maltese Charlie
01-05-2009, 13:15
I started supporting Milan few minutes ago............hmmmm........I mean in the late 60's.

I don't remember exactly how it happened but it was before the game Milan vs Manchester United in the Champions Cup. I remember myself an 8 year old boy standing on the table of our kitchen alone following a Maltese commentary of the game on the Redifusion. (cable radio)

My idol player was the GOLDEN BOY GIANNI RIVERA.

In those days we had a little choice, either Italian or English team. The Island was divided, and the Maltese were so fanatic about these two nations that even people who had no idea about the football rules and the game itself, would not miss a match when these 2 nations or teams from each side played against each other.

hany.Egypt
03-05-2009, 07:25
2002-2003: No satellite or "numeric" TV (I don't know if the "numeric" word has any sense in English) at my home. So I only saw some games of Milan in CL and I admired this team.
Geo, I think the right word is digital, I might be mistaken though.

lanuora
04-06-2009, 07:54
ok, here my story....first I saw Baresi playing.....and I adored him.....try to catch up every picture on tv...it was very little in those times....I remember Donadoni playing and Rossi...
...and then there was a young boy...son of Cesare Maldini....and i thought, please, Lord, spare me.....just another spoiled kid with a rich father....I didnīt like him from the start and watched him very closely to see everyone of his mistakes......
I couldnīt find one.
My respect for Maldini grows and so my sympathy for the club. We got more pictures over here when Gullit, Rijkaard and van Basten cam e to Milan ( Iīm native dutch )
I learned more about the club and the other players.
When I met my second husband, heīs from Sicily, we started to travel to Italy very often and very often we stop in Milan and go to a match.
I think when I first smell the atmosphere at San Siro, that was the moment I became a true fan.
WOW, nearly an entire book - do you think it could become a bestseller ? LOL LOL LOL

Mati
04-06-2009, 08:39
I think there is another thread, but anyway...

It was around Euro 88 I saw the dutch trio for Holland and was simply amazed by them (mostly Gullit and Van Basten). I wanted to find out who they played for and found it was Milan. I started following Milan and was even more blown away by the football and the rest is simply history.

Same here. Euro 88 and magnifico trio did the trick.

Fret
04-06-2009, 09:29
I started watching Milan in the 1994 Champions leauge. I liked them, it just happened that way

ACMILAN1983
04-06-2009, 11:38
lol, Fret that 1994 team was amazing and were it not for the doped Marseille that CL was ours for sure. I think we should still be given it (or at the very least it be made void) as Marseille were proven for doping.

ok, here my story....first I saw Baresi playing.....and I adored him.....try to catch up every picture on tv...it was very little in those times....I remember Donadoni playing and Rossi...
...and then there was a young boy...son of Cesare Maldini....and i thought, please, Lord, spare me.....just another spoiled kid with a rich father....I didnīt like him from the start and watched him very closely to see everyone of his mistakes......
I couldnīt find one.
My respect for Maldini grows and so my sympathy for the club. We got more pictures over here when Gullit, Rijkaard and van Basten cam e to Milan ( Iīm native dutch )
I learned more about the club and the other players.
When I met my second husband, heīs from Sicily, we started to travel to Italy very often and very often we stop in Milan and go to a match.
I think when I first smell the atmosphere at San Siro, that was the moment I became a true fan.
WOW, nearly an entire book - do you think it could become a bestseller ? LOL LOL LOL

That's a great story.

Xudong
04-06-2009, 12:09
1988 euro, 1989 and 1990 toyota cups. no live matches on tv for serie a in China in late 1980s and early 1990s (until 1993?), had to follow newspaper/magazine/radio/tv news every week just for a scoreline and report (if lucky, a 2-minute highlight).

kind of miss that old time now, at least we were bullying others, buying Lentini at a record fee just to reply to Juve's Vialli purchase, and at least you weren't bothered with all these transfer rumors EVERY MINUTE like now. :D

soibui
04-06-2009, 12:28
lol, Fret that 1994 team was amazing and were it not for the doped Marseille that CL was ours for sure. I think we should still be given it (or at the very least it be made void) as Marseille were proven for doping.



That's a great story.

Wasn't 1994 the year Milan won?

Anyway its thanks to channel 4 in UK that I'm a Milan fan. Back then that was the only weekly dose of live football we had available, unless you had Sky. Being the dominant team they were at the time, I had the opportunity to see a lot their games. Also being a defender myself, the talented defenders Milan had at the time is what ultimately appealed to me most about Milan.

Filipéz 182
04-06-2009, 16:08
I was always a Italy and brazil fan on the World championships. Italy was always my favourite country, not only in football. And I liked the way brazil played, and especially a certain player, leonardo. I didnt even know for wich team he played as I was not so much into football. I just watched some WC games.
when I started to follow football for real I found out that Milan was trashed (I think) 6-0 by juventus or inter. And I dont know why but I always like the underdog, Milan finished 9th or so that season and thats the season I began following them :D Probably Milans worst season in the last 20years! I also found out that leonardo was a Milan player!! so my love for Milan was born.


I also always liked the name AC Milan and the colours red and back, + it was an italian team... dont know why that was :D it sounds stupid! but I think it is/was my destiny to love Milan!!

OCmilano
04-06-2009, 16:44
My cousin was the football fan before me. He was a die hard inter fan and i started watching football with him, but honestly i did not enjoy watching his team and i liked watching Milan and Lazio.

LOL I dont know Maldini from any no name and he tells me how could u like 2 teams pick one, so i pick the team he cant stand AC MILAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since that day the love has just grown. So much that my car keychain, my lic plate for my car shows my love for this team.

Rossoneri Fuego
04-06-2009, 17:08
here it goes..........

reason i chose Serie A was i always admired how the italians played there was always england spain but in italy its more tactics its the tactition's league after world cup 2006 my life changed i saw the world coming from the good ol U.S.A. you dont see that much of the world in the USA we mainly concentrate on our own issues.....with that being said i admired italia's tactics aganst germany and france how was it possible that totti fresh coming back from a broken leg could play 60 mins or a full 90? how is it possible a human being can come from such a massive injuring and abuse the hell out of there body? it simple country pride passion....why didnt a choose AS Roma? Inter? or Juve? i didnt choose il lupi because i wasent aware of them inter lol i thought the colors were ugly and juve? were in Serie B now milan...red and black hearing MILAN MILAN!...the passion for this club was out of this world....me being a spanish speaker in my house hold also let me pick up italian quick so therefore i saw the world pick up a new language just because of a pallone....incredible forza milan in mio corazone grazie per tutto....

Graeme C
04-06-2009, 17:39
Some of you already know my story but here we go. I was born in the Uk, but i went to Milan when i was 2 weeks old, and came back to the UK 5. I suppose i only have 1 person to blame for being a Milan fan, and thats Mr Berlusconi himself. I grew up in milano 2, segrate which is a an area of Milan owned by Berlusconi. He has his Television studios and media stuff there.. My mum told stories of meeting Nik Kershaw, Thompson Twins, and Rod Stewart in the area.

For a while my family had a appartment in the Jolly hotel, and everything from sofas to curtains was red and black. My dad took me to a few Milan games when i was little, and I'm one of a few Milan fans whos seen them in Seria B. Ive been a fan ever since.. I grew up with the prob the Best Milan team ever (Sacchis) with the likes of Van Basten and Later Boban and Savicevic.

ACMILAN1983
05-06-2009, 02:56
Wasn't 1994 the year Milan won?

Anyway its thanks to channel 4 in UK that I'm a Milan fan. Back then that was the only weekly dose of live football we had available, unless you had Sky. Being the dominant team they were at the time, I had the opportunity to see a lot their games. Also being a defender myself, the talented defenders Milan had at the time is what ultimately appealed to me most about Milan.

Sorry you're right, that was the Barca victory. I got mixed up and was thinking of 1993. Sorry about that.

vodnjanec_mkd
09-07-2009, 20:14
well i am milan fan from 1998 i remember then even though i was very young 7 years... i remember weah.. ba...savicevic...costacurta...rossi...albertini and many other world class players that played for milan that year... :) and i just simply start loving themm....how can someone not adore acmilan...:)

guestes
09-07-2009, 20:24
Well, I am much younger than most of you, so therefore, I haven't followed Milan for as long. Prior to Milan, I held little interest in soccer, and went for AFL (Australian Football).

I never liked the over-commercial EPL clubs such as Manchester United. I began watching Pato rise, and admired Kaka. After watching Milan defeat the over-confident Manchester United, I also watched them lose to Arsenal. By then though, it was too late, as I had already decided to support the club.

Later, I visited Milan itself, and the club seemed to have an overwhelming prescence in the city. That inspired my support even more.....

Vale46
10-07-2009, 10:11
When I went to Italy for a vacation, I met some really awesome people in Como (really close to Milan) who were AC Milan fans. They got me to become a fan of AC Milan. Before that, I was just a fan of the US Men's National team and watched Euro teams for entertainment only.

shegs
26-03-2010, 16:26
Me, i'm one of the young ones on this forum. That means no rivera, no sacchi, no san marco. 'jst' sheva. and paolo. and nesta. and pirlo!
I started watching football during france '98. Brazil, and not my native Nigeria, was (and still is) my beloved NT! Serie a came to my awareness in 2000, (highlights only, on NTA) and a certain #7 with a long name (i was barely 10!), playing for a team wearing white or red and black was my 'love'. Fast-forward 3 years: boarding school and lack of cable tv + NTA stopping the highlights program meant no serie a. I had to endure EPL! but one fateful tuesday or wednesday night, a team wearing red and black, face a stephen pienaar- inspired Ajax. I wasn't too interested. Pippo scored the only goal of the first half. But after half-time, i saw my long lost 'love', #7 Andriy Shevchenko on the pitch! Needless to say the game took a whole new complexion in my eyes. Pienaar scores and does that stupid chicken celebration (the memory's still fresh in my head), and straight off sheva scores. 2-1 Adv. Milan. Pienaar off, Litmanen on. I'm in raptures as he's been a handful. Litmanen equalizes, adv. Ajax. As i already know of the away goals rule, i'm almost in tears and my hearts beating faster than a high tempo beat! 90 minutes, pippo lobs the keeper and tomasson pokes the ball over the line( i still dislike him bcos of this!). Tommi celebrates left, pippo goes right! Who scored? i didn't really care! I was ecstatic. I fell in love with the team that day not just because they won a thrilling encounter, but also because sheva played for them.
I became a staunch fan after istanbul. hw couldn't i?: i've never felt as much pain before or since then!
Thats it. A bit long, not d most dramatic, but my story nonetheless.

sandicro
26-03-2010, 17:12
I started to like them as a kid, because Zvone Boban and, later, Dario Simic played there.

Kaka1899
27-03-2010, 03:51
pretty lame reason for me :D i saw the end of the 2003 CL final between Milan and Juve, as a joke i said to my brother which do you want to win and he said Juve, so i chose Milan the following year on holiday i saw a Pippo Inzaghi shirt in a bar and decided to look up more info about the team it was only when i learnt about streaming and i had time on my pc i got to see our games so like Geo i am also a "new" fan i joined on a high and i am still here in the low because i know the highs will return one day.

Gabriel489
27-03-2010, 04:14
It was because of Ba that I felt in love with Milan, hahahahaha

Paddy De Nagan
27-03-2010, 08:22
Officially, 1998 was when I first followed Milan and Milan only. But I had liked them before that, but because its the norm to support what team was normally on tv I followed English football. But then i realised i am only supporting them because everyone at school did, and it seemed more suitable to support Milan. And I havent looked back!
Originally, it was simply because I liked the jersey, the red and black stripes with the white shorts and socks. And I liked the way they played, especially Albertini and Maldini.
The earlies time I remember was when we beat Barcelona 4-0. i couldnt watch it live, so i recorded it on tape. I used to watch it over and over. I actually would watch it in slow motion, the whole game in slow motion!