PDA

View Full Version : Please Read: feedback needed


Reza
27-05-2010, 20:57
Wanted to get some feedback, hope you can take the time to reply :)

Over the past years we have asked for donations to make the task of running the site easier and we have chosen a hosting service that ensures the best possible up time and site availability. The donation 'drives' have been sometimes successful and sometimes less so.
The ads do provide some income and would be enough, or close to enough, if the hosting costs were lower. But lower hosting costs mean more downtime.

I am looking at a new option for donations. There is a site is called chipin at http://www.chipin.com/overview
After (If) I sign up I add a box to page here and it is one way for anybody to donate safely (it is used on many sites without problems) using the usual methods of paypal or credit cardand any amount and it shows how much has been raised too.

What do you all think?

shegs
28-05-2010, 14:50
do you think this method is better than the current one (am i safe in the assumption that there's a current one?!). if yes, i see no reason nt to change. And if it means greater 'revenue', its a no-brainer.
P. S.
I respect the fact that you've thrown the decision open to forum members, it's a noble deed.

Reza
28-05-2010, 18:21
The current one, such as it is, is once in a while asking for monthly or other donations see the other thread ("Contributors only") in this forum.
Not exactly a success - though it has been at times in the past - and that's why I am trying to find another way.

Jay Crisp
04-08-2010, 15:41
This method is good I buy on the Internet a bit , but use 3V Vouchers as I don't like giving my credit card number to individuals and small company's , and there is always a few $$$ left over that I cannot use so i'll chip in with the left overs just like while ago , its easy too straight forward no hassle.

Reza
19-09-2010, 10:20
To those who can afford to contribute any help would be appreciated, thanx :)

yukitien
05-11-2010, 02:46
lower hosting costs mean more downtime.

mzk57
17-12-2010, 14:11
Try this :) http://www.freeforums.org/

fLame
17-12-2010, 15:05
so, how much does it cost to maintain a server like this per month?

i am employed and could donate i guess :D

Reza
17-12-2010, 15:22
Try this :) http://www.freeforums.org/

A place like freeforums is a possibility, we will lose some control over the looks and a few other features and the domain name won't be milanmania.com.
It's an option and it's free. Should be and is considered for sure.

so, how much does it cost to maintain a server like this per month?

i am employed and could donate i guess :D

To maintain a place (specifically a vBB forum this size and one where game time and transfer deadline time it's busy) that, at least, has a good chance of good up time and fewer errors I wouldn't advise anything less than $30. Here we're paying $40 per month. The option I have talked about in the other thread will let us do a lot of what we have now for much less because the forum is not as feature rich as this vBB and is generally lighter on the server.

Reza
17-12-2010, 15:24
I should add that the ads cover some of the cost, but managing it takes time and keeping the forum in reasonably good shape is a part of that. It's a combination of cost and time required.