|
i hate to say this but the coach and captain really should have taken control of these "celebrations". Leadership skills were seriously lacking and I REALLY hate to say it but Maldini failed as a leader on the field and, from Djimi Troare's report here, even off it. Someone like Leonardo should have been in the dressing room calming the players down. Costacurta and/or Tassotti should have reminded the players that 45 mins were remaining.
Really, it goes to show that there is no substitute at Milan for the leadership skills exuded by the legend Franco Baresi as he probably would have slapped each and every player on the face if they dared celebrate before the game was over. Even though I am not a big Capello fan, I will give him this - his disciplinarian tactics were legendary and really would have helped this Milan team remain focused and disciplined for the task at hand. If you notice, he NEVER celebrated a single goal in Milan 4 - Barcelona 0. EVERYONE jumped on, he never even SMILED.
I won't blame ancelotti for being happy that his team is 3-0 ahead but TONE THE DAMN PARTYING DURING HT DOWN!!!! GEE THE FRIGGING GAME IS NOT OVER!!!!!! UGH!!
update: i just watched a part of Milan 4 - Barcelona 0, 1994 CL final. Just before half time, Massaro scored after a beautiful work up by Milan. The Milan coaching staff jump on Capello. Capello turns around, hands in pocket and looks down without a HINT of joy. It almost looks like he is the Barcelona coach. In SHARP contrast, Ancelotti jumps out of the dug out pumping his fist in sheer ecstacy at going up 1-0 after Maldini scored. No blame on Ancelotti because it does a great coach to take a team to 2 Champions League finals in 3 years but I think the players and the coach are taking success for granted a little too easily these days.
I have new found respect for Capello,
Last edited by Nadir; 26-05-2005 at 18:47.
|