Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Jim_UK
Exactly, it was the early part of this decade. Since then both the leagues in question have changed and i for one think that Serie A will now be easier for a Spaniard to handle than it used to be.
Besides, Villa seemed to do ok against Inter in the CL last season
Don't you think we should be aiming higher than this? I'm not asking or indeed expecting us to buy megastar after megastar, but there is definately room for improvement over those names.
There's buying players who won't rock the boat and are the easy option, like Emerson, Motta & Cannavaro. None of which will improve the squad a great deal. Then there's the alternative of buying younger & hungrier players who will offer us more in the long term, like Taiwo, Lucho Gonzalez, Pasqual, Huntelaar, etc. Players who will generally make a difference and won't just be stop gap solutions like the gradually increasing list of desperate transfers we've undertaken in the last few years. You also wouldn't call any of those players star names either, so there's definately a middle ground we should aim for in terms of calibre of player.
|
Fair point Jim.
With the amount of competitions we'll be vying for, sometimes I think we should have 5 strikers.
If I were in charge of transfers the first thing I would do this summer is renew Kaka's contract.
Then I would try to sign two of Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Barzagli, and Alex. In midfield I would go for someone who could come in for Ambrosini and who gives us more than Brocchi. Motta or Emerson fit the bill here.
Up front, if I would go for Eto'o, but would also be happy with Cassano/G.Rossi.
I hope that Milan sign at least 2 players this window in the positions mentioned. Otherwise, I think we'll be short when trying to achieve the "grand slam" Pirlo is talking about. Injuries, player form etc. can all play a part.
As for the Villa thing, I too, like Tony29, have reservations about Spanish players making it in Italy. However, Villa is a slightly different kind of player. You know personally I don't rate Spanish players. I think they're overrated, but Villa is a striker who makes very intelligent runs off the ball and is very alert in front of net. I would love that kind of player, and I would be anxious to see how it would work out.