Thread: Winter Mercato
View Single Post
Old 30-07-2007, 12:14   #7510

Warro Bantan

Moderator
 
Warro Bantan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 1999
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtelly
I think there is more likelihood of Beckham coming to Milan than Ronnie going to the states...speaking of america, milan should give me a mercy-signing and get a yank so i can get all my non-footie friends here to be interested (at least for a year). someone mentioned altidore, and there are a few youngsters that, under the right circumstances, might become useful. if we can buy georgian, liberian, and others and turn them into great players, why not a hardworking american kid?
Good point jtelly, but in our "defense" while we did sign a Liberian, he was already a very talented player, and so was Kaladze, having played in "reputable" leagues.

I do not say this to disparage the MLS, but it is certain that the French league, (I forget where we got Kaladze from) is much more reputable than the MLS is, and I stress, at present.

That being said, I think it would be a great idea to buy an MLS product, but the same rationale could be used to justify a player from China for arguments sake...and there does seem to be some level of backlash when the player is purchased, but never plays...like was the case with Man U and a Chinese player they bought, but never used I believe.

What we should await, is the rise of a player so talented, that we would be forced to look at him, and make an offer...rather than make a "mercy" signing, or one based soley on "attracting" the US TV audience...who, as previously mentioned, could become disenchanted by seeing the object of their adoration "polishing the pine" with his butt (ie benched).

I quite like the MLS, insofar as it represents an excellent opportunity for countries such as Jamaica, who dont really have a professional league, but have a plethora of talent (Silver medal in the Pan American games just last week) that tends not be get exploited.

Altidore is certainly a prospect, but I think the route for him would be for us to buy him, then loan him out...he wouldnt walk into the Milan team, the reserves, but maybe the primavera...if he was of the right age...
__________________
I Love Milan.
Warro Bantan is offline